TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JohnnyBlaze

2008 Summer Olympics

:: shrugs ::

Well, why don't they call it a "Gold Medal Count," then? I've never seen anybody specifically cite a "gold medal" count as opposed to a "medal count," except as part an argument for why we arrogant Americans are the Great Satan, or whatever... Not only that, but if the silver and bronze don't merit being counted, why even give them out? Why not just present a gold medal to the event winner, and everybody else can lick balls?

It has nothing to do with the US, aside from why NBC is ranking them in a different way from everybody else in the world. The Americans have benefited from it before as well. Ex. In the first Olympics where Greece had the most medals but the US the most Golds and thus the US placed first.

The runner-up for the Super Bowl gets a trophy too, but you don't see anybody saying that it is their dream to hold the George Halas or Lamar Hunt trophys.

I would rather win 1 Gold than 50 Silvers. It is still an accomplishment just to medal, or even just to compete in many cases, but the Gold is far more valuable.

Notice how they rank them on the official site.

http://results.beijing2008.cn/WRM/ENG/INF/...GL0000000.shtml

That's all well and to the good, but like I said, I can't recall ever seeing anybody refer to it as a GOLD medal count, and I still don't understand why it should be taken as assumed that "medal count" is a euphemism for "gold medals only" count?

EDIT .cn, huh? So, the Canadian website is the "official" one? ;)

If there is a tie in the number of Golds, then it goes to Silvers, and then to Bronze if those are still tied so they other medals aren't completely ignored in the total medal rankings, just mostly.

If there is a tie in the number of Golds, then it goes to Silvers, and then to Bronze if those are still tied so they other medals aren't completely ignored in the total medal rankings, just mostly.

Says who, though? The IOC doesn't officially recognize rankings based on medals won, be they gold or otherwise. So who decides?

Can anyone honestly say off the top of their heads who "won" any of the Olympic Games? Well besides the '84 Summer games, but that's an inspired guess.

Most of them I can actually. I don't know if that is a good thing or a bad thing.

Can anyone honestly say off the top of their heads who "won" any of the Olympic Games? Well besides the '84 Summer games, but that's an inspired guess.

Most of them I can actually. I don't know if that is a good thing or a bad thing.

I can name any two World Series participants off the top of my head, so I can't judge.

I can name any two World Series participants off the top of my head, so I can't judge.

'75?

'75?

That's arguably the most famous World Series ever. Reds/Red Sox.

Medal Count:

1. China: 35-13-13

2. USA: 19-21-25

3. Australia: 11-10-12

4. Great Britain: 11-7-8

5. Germany: 9-6-7

For interests sake, here are the populations for the top 5 countries:

1. China: 1.33 billion

2. USA: 303 million

3. Australia: 20 million

4. Great Britain: 60 million

5. Germany: 82 million

On a per capita basis, Australia is easily the top sporting country.

Don't we spend the most per athlete though?

Usian Bolt. Jeeesus Christ. That a guy can jog to the finish line of a qualifier just isn't right.

Heck, let me pose this question. Which athlete has been more impressive, Bolt or Michael Phelps? Has anyone topped them?

Usian Bolt. Jeeesus Christ. That a guy can jog to the finish line of a qualifier just isn't right.

Heck, let me pose this question. Which athlete has been more impressive, Bolt or Michael Phelps? Has anyone topped them?

I'd say Bolt simply because he looks like he's jogging to blowout victories. If he sets the WR in the 200 as easily as he did the 100 he'll be one of the greatest sprinters ever at just 21.

Off the top of my head

80- Russia

84- USA

88- USSR

92- Unified Team

96-present- USA

The whole scoring on that event was weird. I thought the Chinese girl who won the bronze should have won the gold, Nastia should have won the silver and the girl who won the gold should have scored lower than both of them. Bela still would have freaked out because Nastia didn't win, but I'm surprised no one mentioned that the wrong Chinese athlete got the gold.

Nastia got fucked over pretty bad.

Seems like a reoccurring theme for the American athletes.

Asked about the Australian judge's score of 9.30 for the Chinese girl compared with the 9.00 she gave his daughter, Liukin said it was not the first time Australian judges had dealt Nastia a blow.

"It's been [the] last three world [championships] that way - I'm very disappointed with that - consistently," he said.

Reporter: "With that particular judge?"

Liukin: "Same country, I think, different judge. I don't want to go any further with that."

Reporter: "Why would Australia not like US gymnasts?"

Liukin: "You want to go and ask her? No idea. There's not a single gymnast in the final over there."

http://www.smh.com.au/news/gymnastics/gymn...8911636723.html

I think Nastia is definitely getting the shaft in some ways. I don't know if it is because Shawn was the favorite, or because Nastia's name is not "American" sounding enough. But she does not seem to be getting the full credit and attention I think she deserves.

And now Wheaties is saying they are going to put both Shawn and Nastia on the cereal box. I don't think I've seen a silver medalist on a Wheaties box - not even if it was an American 1-2.