TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
haVoc

What Are You Paying For Cigarettes?

Guest Jesus Freaks on Coke

It must suck to be a black person who smokes, because then the government is idiot-taxing you through the lottery AND cigarettes.

Newports are between 3.65 and 4.30-something here. Marlboros are about 30 cents cheaper then Ports.

I'm gonna start ordering cartons of smokes from the Ukraine like haVoc. Them shits is cheap.

My mother buys them by the case at Indian reservation, and since she smokes the same ones I do, she sends me a carton for free every week or so. I mean hell, who do you think I was stealing them from when I was 16 anyway?

But yeah, if I have to buy some here and there, its around 5.50 or so after taxes for Marlboros.

A pack of First Class will run you about $2.35 'round these parts. These are generics, but are indistinguishable from Basics, which had been my brand for years prior to my descent into poverty.

Guest Smues

I'm a non-smoker but I had a question for you smokers in the lesser lower 48. How old do you have to be in your state to buy smokes? I thought it was 18 throughout the US but it is 19 in Alaska, so I'm curious if any other states have a different age.

I'm a non-smoker but I had a question for you smokers in the lesser lower 48. How old do you have to be in your state to buy smokes? I thought it was 18 throughout the US but it is 19 in Alaska, so I'm curious if any other states have a different age.

Thought it was 18 everywhere too.

Wiki tells me this...

Beginning on April 1, 1998, the sale of cigarettes and other tobacco products to people under 18 is now prohibited by law in all fifty states of the United States. The legal age of purchase has been additionally raised to 19 in Alabama, Alaska, New Jersey, Utah, and Nassau, Suffolk, and Onondaga Counties in New York.[22] The intended effect of this is to prevent upper class high school students from purchasing cigarettes for their younger peers. Legislation was pending as of 2004 in some other states. In Massachusetts[23] and Virginia[citation needed], parents and guardians are allowed to give cigarettes to minors, but sales to minors are prohibited.

Guest Smues

Interesting. I guess that makes sense to me, although there are still always a handful of kids in highschool that are 19.

Shit... Basics were what I smoked when I was broke.

They sell for somewhere in the area of $3.50 a pack here, which is at the high end of what I'm willing to pay for cigarettes. Things like Newports and Marlboros are generally a little more than $4. My recent gas station experience has revealed to me that many of the same people who feel the need to blow $4+ for a pack of Newports are willing to get no more than $2.00 in gas, which is basically enough to get you down to the nearest stoplight and back.

People could get held back a year or two, some people joined that school system late...there are all sorts of reasons. I knew a few 19 year olds in High School, too.

Anyway, should any of you happen to travel to Cuba, you're in luck. When I was there, packs of cigarettes were 1.50, and a carton was 5 bucks. Hollywood brand, Vegas brand, Big Apple brand...all delicious.

Ah, I miss ol' Coo-buh.