TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
luke-o

luke-o's look at...

tnatag.jpg

Now I bring this up because the tag team division has been brought up in recent threads due to Roode and Storm getting a push out of no where. So I thought I would compile a list of all the tag teams in TNA and see what can be done fued wise for the tag champs.

TNA actually has (and has always had) a very strong tag team scene. And I think that's one of the reasons I like the company so much, I'm a fan of tag team wrestling. And TNA has had some awesome teams (xXx, AMW, Team Canada, Styles/Brown, The Red Shirts... no wait.)

So here we go:

The Tag Team Champions - LAX The Latin American Xchange

_MG_0973.jpg

The current 3 Time champions Homicide and Hernadez have been awesome since they we're formed as a tag team under the guidence of Konnan. Granted I think they make better heels then they do faces, but with Hector and Shelly Martinez by their sides, I still think they make a great team. They did have the iffy run with Machette and the rest of their "posse" during their pants first fued with Team 3D, but apart from that, they've been in mostly great fueds. The best one being their fued with Styles/Daniels.

The Contenders:

Face Teams:

The Motor City Machine Guns

sabin_shelley.jpg

Possibly the most over tag team in TNA history and a team that should have had the trigger pulled after their fued with Team 3D. But unfortunatly for Sabin and Shelley, a lack of blading made them into the J.O.B Squad for a couple of months. Now as part of Team TNA during the X cup, they are starting to pick up a bit more pace and with a bit of luck, convince those in charge that they are the next big thing in tag team wrestling. They've only really had one fued with Team 3D (which isn't worth mentioning) but it should be said that they we're pretty good in their role. Also, they should have better entrance music. I've said that MCMG make better heels, but after watching Impact last week I've changed my mind, all they need is a serious fued and then the skys the limit.

Heel Teams:

Team 3D

7383907_240X180.jpg

Is there really anything I need to say about these guys? Countless time tag champs and the only team in history to hold the ECW, WCW, WWE, NWA and TNA tag team titles. They suck as singles competitors but they rock as a tag team and they rock even harder as a heel tag team. Fueded with just about everyone in TNA and are great at getting teams/singles over. I'm glad they are still with TNA and I'm still as big as a mark for them now as I was back in ECW.

The Rock and Rave Infection

_MG_6324.jpg

A pretty amusing gimmick indeed. Lance Hoyt has never really found a spot in TNA that fit him, his one stand out singles match was against Abyss but again, not hing came of it. That was until he turned heel and got Jimmy Rave to be his new tag team partner. What I like about RnRI is the fact they have the same gimmick, they do said gimmick well and they have a female voice to lead them. That way, Rave and Hoyt don't have to do promos. Now, I don't see this team being anything massive. I see them as fodder, something to keep other teams busy while they aren't challanging for the gold.

Roode and Storm

_MG_1144.jpg_MG_1121.jpg

This tag team shows, if anything, that TNA is in despertate need of a second tier title. Something for these guys to aim for. I like Roode. I like Storm. I hate random tag teams. They are challanging LAX to the titles at the next PPV and I wish they weren't. Although, a series of vignettes, something with them trying to get along with their clash of gimmicks would be fine - as build to being a tag team. But them going into the ring as one for a couple of shows then getting a title shot is pretty shit. Even if it is on a throwaway TNA PPV.

Petey Williams and Scott Steiner

6538822.jpg

Not really been a tag team as such, but have been hanging out a lot lately. Steiner has moulded Petey too look just like him and he even pumped him up to win the X Division title. If you wanted an example of how to make a random tag team work, look no further than these two. All the needed to complete the puzzle was a few tag matches. But perhaps Petey is better off as a singles competitor with Scotty and Rhaka as his back up. But, a team with potential.

Other mentions:

The Monsters

_MG_9008.jpg_MG_5242.jpg

Black Reign and Rellik (it's killer spelt backwards fyi) haven't been on TV now for quite a while. And for that I'm glad. They suck.

Christian Cage and Rhino

IMG_8234.jpg

Again a random tag team, but at least they have history as long time friends. But after the violent fued they had a couple of years ago, this doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Plus, Christian makes for a better heel. Could they be title contenders? Well yes of course they could, but I'd rather they didn't because frankly, they don't need it.

Shark Boy and Curry Man

_MG_4954.jpg

el oh el. Shoot me, I like these guys. It's good fun mid card comedy stuff. And I like it. Title contenders? Not a chance. But damn do they make me laugh.

So that's the Teg Team Scene as it stands in June 2008. Probably the weakest it's been for a while. With the split of AJ/Tomko and The James Gang the scene has suffered. Which is why Roode and Storm appear to be the no. 1 contenders.

What would I do to change that? I'm not sure. I'd like to see the Guns in the title picture but with LAX as champs that's unlikley to happen. They either need to build a credible heel team (that's not random) or do a face/face fued and throw a third heel team in the mix.

Actually, a LAX/Team 3D and MCMG fued could be great fun. Ending with a triangle ladder match. It could be the Edge and Christian/Hardys/Dudleys of TNA.

Thoughts?

Nicely done Luke-o, you've got some cool pictures there, the LAX one made me go 'wow cool' looks so awesome with Hector standing in the middle as some sort of boss figure from an epic Japanese Martial Art film. Also, is that tag team title picture from TEW? haha

As for TNA's tag division I'm enjoying, LAX are one of the greatest teams going an, like you said, everything they're involved in is, usually, golden. I think they can have fun matches with pretty much anyone going, they've got that great balance between power and agility with the two guys they're using. I was getting VERY sick of Team 3D during the 'Greatest Tag Team in History Feud' and was glad it ended early due to injury.

f-e-u-d is feud.

f-u-e-d is nothing.

Are the MCMG really the most over tag-team in TNA history? I remember AMW in summer 2003 had tons of heat for their matches. And that's what Black Reign looks like? Wow.

Its certinaly a big claim to say MCMG are the most over tag team in TNA history, I mean you did have XXX and AJ Styles & Christoper Daniels teaming up at one point and that seemed pretty over.

Now there's something I can agree with! The '03 feud AMW had with XXX is about as perfect a tag team feud as you can ask for. AMW was 0-4 against XXX, unable to overcome the numbers game, but finally gets them in a cage for a straight 2-on-2 match. Good stuff.

For current teams, I'd love to see a lengthy MCMG - LAX feud. I didn't think I'd say this two years ago when LAX was the hottest heels in the company, but they're great as faces too. That could work with MCMG as the heels, LAX as heels, or both faces.

They should push Roode and Storm as an odd couple, city slicker and cowboy team, their opposite ways could be the thing that can them over as a group. Maybe they're doing some of that already, I haven't got to see all parts of the shows lately.

I don't mind Rhodes and Relic being used as "jobbers to the stars", just keep the rat and other stupid stuff off the screen.

I wouldn't mind MCMG/Lax, but I think the Roode/Storm Vs. LAX feud has potential to be tremendous if done right. They've started it out perfectly, I'm interested in what direction they will go with it, I hope isn't just a feud for a throw away ppv.

I think TNA should highly consider getting Masato Yoshino and Naruki Doi on a semi regular basis and get them involved in the title hunt

On the overness of MCMG: I don't know if I would be comfortable calling anyone "over" in TNA based on just what we see. Taking cues from the Impact Zone crowd seems like a bad measuring stick to me. Like it or not, tna is in the world of the casual fan now and the impact zone is packed with the same indi fans that will always praise workrate above all else while the people at home don't understand why Joe is deified. I know I'm probably going down a well beaten path, but just because the crowd says "this is awesome" during MCMG matches doesn't make it a good idea to push them for a cable audience.

While I wrote that I started thinking about who would be a good mix of workrate and showmanship in TNA and it makes me wonder what they think they are doing with Christopher Daniels. Dont get me wrong, I love Curry Man as much as the next guy but he could be somewhere special by now. Why did Styles get the big push and Daniels left in the dust?

Oh yeah, and MCMG music sucks ass. I don't know if I hate that or the hand pointing worse. Their whole entrance makes them look like hyperactive 14 year olds.

They've been running more and more ppvs out of the Impact zone, and also house shows. From those reports, and watching the ppvs...pretty much all the same people are over on the road as are in the Impact zone. They like AJ and Joe. And they pop big for Booker and Angle who then have to turn the crowd on them.

Oh...and Styles got the push because, even with Joe getting his run at the top, Styles is still "their" boy. He'll end up going down in the TNA history books as their Sting. I don't believe that they'll ever look at Daniels as more than an X division or Tag Team hand...while they see Styles as something different.

Now...they could always decide to bring Daniels out of the CurryMan character whenever they want...but if they do it will just be to put him back in the X division. Wheras AJ will hold their World Title again. And the crowd absolutely loves Styles in any of his roles wherever they go.

IMO...even tough he can't talk as well as Daniels...and even though they're practically the same looking size...AJ has the "it" factor more than most people in the company.

You just look at him and he's doing something cool. Or he's about to. Or he just did. And you kinda want to watch him...alot.

RE: MCMG overness.

I may be have been a bit brash on my statement but I stand by it. Mainly because they have remained over as faces and as heels. In fact, the only reason they turned face was because the crowd kept cheering for them to win. Granted, Styles/Daniels we're massivly over but why wouldn't they be? It's AJ Styles (triple crown winner) and Christopher Daniels (longest reigning X champ), putting the two together was bound to get over. But I will conceed on AMW, man they we're awesome.

They should push Roode and Storm as an odd couple, city slicker and cowboy team, their opposite ways could be the thing that can them over as a group. Maybe they're doing some of that already, I haven't got to see all parts of the shows lately.

I've been thinking bout Roode/Storm recentley and I do like the "odd couple" pairing, but until they don't look like a tag team.

Styles and Daniels for example (once they became a team) had one entrance where they did similar moves and they wore the same coloured attire which made them look like a tag team despite the lack of tag team name.

If Roode/Storm got that, then I'd buy into them.

I did very much like the way that AJ and Daniels found to match and show cohesiveness without actually putting on matching outfits. Simply wearing the same colors that they tended to alternate and doing the synchronized hood move in the entrance definitely made them feel like a team.

Part of me thinks that the odd couple nature of Roode and Storm actually works with the separate entrances. Having one of them sacrifice some of their identity (or both) to make them feel cohesive seems to take away from that very aspect that seems interesting. But like I said, I do prefer that tag teams find some way to look like a tag team. I don't know.

I am a huge tag team fan. That is one of the reasons I am not too interested in WWE right now, their lack of tag teams, or at least their lack of tv time.

That being said, I mark out big time for LAX, I knew Homicide from his days in NYC. His teaming with Hernandez was bound to be huge. Being a big James Storm fan, I mark out for anything he does. I love his odd-couple team with Roode. If they can't find something for either of them to do seperatly, hell I'm fine with teaming them.

I think right now they are they are testing the waters with them, and once they officially make them a team, more then an alliance, they will get the same enterence. I think for their look, keep it seperate, but at least the same color.

Does anyone else think bringing in some new tag teams might help things? And if so, what teams would you like to see brought in?

Does anyone else think bringing in some new tag teams might help things? And if so, what teams would you like to see brought in?

Nate already said it, but Yoshino/Doi. That match last Impact was the balls. I know TNA won't do this as they have just entered into a deal with CMLL, but I think a tag team of Dr. Wagner/El Hijo Del Santo would get over huge in the States. Both are legends in Mexico, and Wagner speaks English and has charisma to spare.

I would love to see Speed Muscle on TV every week, but I wouldn't trust TNA to book them with any kind of sense. They would be fed to 3D and feuding with Shark Boy/Curry Man in a span of weeks.

Never heard of this Speed Muscle team. Can anyone provide me with some info on them?

Never heard of this Speed Muscle team. Can anyone provide me with some info on them?

They were the Team Japan tag team that had the fun little match with the Motor City Machineguns on Impact last week. They don't have a profile on Wikipedia, but here is the Wikipedia site for one half of the team, which has some info on them:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naruki_Doi

Forgotten awesome tag team in TNA: New Church. The first team to get over as heels, and as perfect a pairing of "Killdozer" Brian Lee (best...gimmick name...EVER) and anybody else could ever hope to be. Lee actually did good in his half as the flat-out brawler, and it's the best he's ever been in his entire career. The brawls with Tommy Dreamer in ECW weren't bad, but the New Church/AMW feud was the first non-X Division feud to get over with TNA fans.

Strangely, my main TNA memory of the Naturals is neither a tag match nor anything I saw live. It was at Lockdown 06; Bubba Ray had hurt Andy Douglas, tore his pec with a chop or something mean like that, and Chase Stevens was in some random six-way X division scramble match. Well, Chase went and single-handedly tried to get himself a singles push by doing a shooting star press off the top of the fuckin' cage. And nobody caught him! He somehow plummetted down right in the middle of FIVE guys, none of them even got a finger on him, and he went SPLAT. How he didn't break himself in half, I'll never know.

After risking life and limb in such a spectacular and dangerous fashion, you'd think the booker would be nice to the guy afterward, throw him a bone, right? His big reward the next day at the Impact taping: getting jobbed out to Abyss in thirty seconds. What a great company to work for.

That's probably because Chase Stevens wasn't all the great as a singles competitor or as a tag team wrestkler. Doing one spot isn't going to stop that.

The only time I ever found The Naturals interseting was when they paired up with Shane Douglas. But even then it wasn't that good.

Yeah, the Naturals were weird. They had this great chemistry with AMW and its what got them attention. And then they'd go off and work with other teams and they'd be boring. And then then a match with AMW and it would be good. Then boring with everyone else. And then it became strangely clear that they couldn't be entertaining with anyone except AMW. It was weird. Candido and Douglas tried to help but they just didn't seem like a compelling team once they stepped in the ring. Unless AMW was there.

I loved the New Church and it took me months to accept that I was watching Brian Lee and Wolfie D. And completely agreed that Slash was the unspoken hero of that company for the first year or so. He was the constant core of the New Church who could be counted on to work a good match that was a bit different from the X Division fare every night. I enjoyed Slash & Synn as well but Killdozer just looked better than he ever did in his career (even if physically he looked like he was dying of a drug addiction). It was an awesome team that unfortunately seemed to just make other teams. Back when Mitchell had Judas and others running around him I kept hoping that someone would think it a good idea to bring Slash back into the fold.

They were the Team Japan tag team that had the fun little match with the Motor City Machineguns on Impact last week. They don't have a profile on Wikipedia, but here is the Wikipedia site for one half of the team, which has some info on them:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naruki_Doi

Ok, I was not aware that was what they were called. That match was insane. Very fast paced and awesome.

On the topic of The New Church, wasn't The Wall part of that team as well?