TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
luke-o

luke-o's look at...

Yeah, as Malice. He had an entertaining clusterfuck of a match with Sabu over who would get the shot at Shamrock's NWA World title, and then a pretty damn solid Last Man Standing match with DON HARRIS of all people. He was showing more and more promise, but then he OD'd on heroin and died. Sucks, really.

The Disciples of the New Church was Mitchell's stable that eventually wore down to a full time tag team. The Wall was Malice who was the original centerpiece of the stable while Slash and Tempest (Devon Storm) were the tag team. Malice left and fromthen on they were basically just a tag team. Tempest was replaced by Cobain (Flash Flanagan) who was in turn replaced by Brian Lee. Lee and Slash stuck together and had a nice run. The group included Shane Douglas, Vampiro, Mike Awesome, Sinn (who is a WWE Developmental now), and the Gathering (CM Punk & Julio Dinero) at various stages.

I need to go back and re-watch the shows from the early days. I vaguely remember all that stuff with the New Church. I remember liking it because I am a big James Mitchell fan.

I also like The Rainbow Express, but then again I marked out for anything done by Lenny and Lodi.

The Disciples of the New Church was Mitchell's stable that eventually wore down to a full time tag team. The Wall was Malice who was the original centerpiece of the stable while Slash and Tempest (Devon Storm) were the tag team. Malice left and fromthen on they were basically just a tag team. Tempest was replaced by Cobain (Flash Flanagan) who was in turn replaced by Brian Lee. Lee and Slash stuck together and had a nice run. The group included Shane Douglas, Vampiro, Mike Awesome, Sinn (who is a WWE Developmental now), and the Gathering (CM Punk & Julio Dinero) at various stages.

Somewhat accurated. The first tag team of the New Church was Slash/Tempest, but then Tempest left and was replaced by Brian Lee. Lee disappeared, and Kobain (because K's are kool) came in, but then disappeared just before Lee returned. Then Lee disappeared again, and Slash did shortly after, and thus The Gathering (Punk/Dinero) became the New Church. Douglas wasn't technically a member, but an ally of Mitchell since both had beef with Raven.

Ah yes, the Raven/New Church feud, that was a shockingly good angle. The matches sucked, but the storyline was nice. Shane Douglas stopping in the middle of a match with Raven to puke was hilarious.

Somewhat accurated. The first tag team of the New Church was Slash/Tempest, but then Tempest left and was replaced by Brian Lee. Lee disappeared, and Kobain (because K's are kool) came in, but then disappeared just before Lee returned. Then Lee disappeared again, and Slash did shortly after, and thus The Gathering (Punk/Dinero) became the New Church. Douglas wasn't technically a member, but an ally of Mitchell since both had beef with Raven.

Huh, I totally don't remember Lee's first tenure with them. I remember him tagging with one of the Harris' for a little while and feuding briefly with AMW. Then Lee disappeared and came back leaner. Don't recall the first go around before Kobain. There was definitely a run with Sinn after Lee though. I seem to recall it was the two of them backing up Douglas/Vampiro vs Raven and the Gathering before they turned.

And yeah, Douglas was just "working with the Devil" and I couldn't really remember if the Gathering ever officially got the New Church title. But I just figured list the guys and be done. Thanks for the correction.

The Douglas/Raven feud was really entertaining until the end. Hell, even the first match wasn't that bad, with Douglas looking the best he had in YEARS. Then came the hair vs. hair match. Douglas was so out of it then that the got gassed and puked in the middle of the match. The only upside was the post-match shaving, which drew a lot of sympathy heat for Raven (something that's always been relatively hard to do).

And speaking of forgotten gems how about that awesome awesome tag match between AMW and Team Canada (Roode & Young) from Final Resolution 2005. IMO, one of the best tag team matches in TNA's history. Team Canada is another tag team that gets overlooked quite a bit. They used to be pretty solid back in their day.

AMW vs. Diamond & Swinger (with Disco Inferno as their manager) was another tag feud that I don't see mentioned in this topic. That one was pretty good too.