TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
georgia003

Favorite Beatles song?

Guest Jesus Freaks on Coke

I like Prince quite a bit, actually.

Smartly Pretty seems like a bright and eccentric fellow, and is currently at the time and place in life where being "so random!" is a valued personality trait. I mean, shee-it, I used Homestar Runner pictures when I posted on TSM as a junior in high school too. I had no idea that stuff was still relevant! When it's important to keep someone on her toes with a goofy-ass response to "favorite Beatles tune," it's that's dung heap that is "Being For The Benefit of Mr Kite," but that's just the Hollywood Squares Joke Answer setting up the solid indie-inspiring jangle-rock of "I Should Have Known Better."

My first impulse on the Sensei was to have him dive into the brisk shimmering pool of overwrought schmaltz that is "Good Night," but just because you see someone drinking coffee once doesn't mean they're obsessed with coffee, like on the first season of The Office when Michael tries to get Amy Adams's character to date him by giving her a coffee machine, which was based on what hardly even qualifies as a personality trait at all. That said, he does think big, and knowing that he's a big GNR fan, I'll go with a big welcome-overstaying two-parter kind of along the lines of "November Rain," that being "Hey Jude."

Nah, it's "The Long and Winding Road." The version with all the strings and choir, not the "naked" version. You can't go bigger than Spector.

I'm not actually sure what my favorite Beatles song is any more. I've had a few.

Same here. There're like three or four that are in constant contention.

Likewise. Although at the moment, I guess I have a favorite as I'm listening to it quite a lot lately.

Eight Days a Week, actually.

That is my favorite as well. I also like Back in the USSR for some bizarre reason.

I'll narrow it down to three. Things We Said Today, She's Leaving Home and Penny Lane.

...are you serious? that's the worst of the whole "paul mccartney does melodramatic orchestral arrangements" genre. that's like picking "old brown shoe" as your favorite harrison song.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

I've barely attempted to ponder this. My flinch reaction is "While My Guitar Gently Weeps."

Norweigan Wood? Maybe.

I always go back to their early covers like "Roll Over Beethoven" and "Twist and Shout"

I thought about it a little more, and right now the shortlist includes "You Never Give Me Your Money," "A Day in the Life," and "Dear Prudence." And that's far from definitive.

I always go back to their early covers like "Roll Over Beethoven" and "Twist and Shout"

YES. it sounds like they had more fun and more confidence doing some of those covers than their own material in the early days, cause the infectious energy just bleeds out of it. especially on the vocals. i can't not love "long tall sally" and "please mister postman."

it's weird that i had to grow up a little bit to appreciate the tracks that were the least cerebral and were just the beatles being a great fucking band.

i have 2 favorites, but i'm keeping them a secret.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

YES. it sounds like they had more fun and more confidence doing some of those covers than their own material in the early days, cause the infectious energy just bleeds out of it. especially on the vocals. i can't not love "long tall sally" and "please mister postman."

it's weird that i had to grow up a little bit to appreciate the tracks that were the least cerebral and were just the beatles being a great fucking band.

i have 2 favorites, but i'm keeping them a secret.

I'm pretty sure one's Eleanor Rigby, right?

no, but you're on the right track. it's mccartney being treacly, with strings beefing it up.

and let it be known that when i first took the time to really listen to the lyrics of "eleanor rigby," i cried like a little girl. i must've listened to it 3 or 4 times in a row.

When I first heard "Eleanor Rigby" in 6th grade (and yes, Amnesia nailed it), I listened to it over and over too. Given that I was listening to a lot of terrible alternative/Top 40 in 1997, this was a revelation. Your favorite can't be "Yesterday," can it?

Oh, hey, when I fashioned this thread into a little Music Folder parlor game, it wasn't supposed to be me writing all the guess-the-song blurbs. I'm not a machine. Other people should try it. I mean, I haven't even gotten any right yet.

"golden slumbers" actually.

i think the only reason people started liking this thread is the possibility that someone else would guess their favorite beatles song, giving them attention and validating their existence.

i'd be happy to guess people's favorites if they gave some hints; i really don't care enough about anyone on this board to have formed an idea of what their "personality" is, so i can't make guesses based on that. i have a good handle on the personality of maybe 6 people here, and that's entirely by accident.

I was just trying to prevent a thread where there's no discussion, simply listing. Sometimes I have to be a mod.

"golden slumbers" actually.

Yeeeeeeeeeah boy.

The reason I started liking the thread is cause it got me to think about all the Beatles songs I love, which was actually great because I haven't listened to them heavily in way too long.

The best Beatles song is "A Day in the Life." My favorite is probably something a little more low key. Despite the John Denver association, I probably find "Mother Nature's Son" to be as satisfying and fully-realized as anything they ever did. I was really hoping that that dreadlocked idiot would do it on "American Idol" earlier this year, but no go.