TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
georgia003

Favorite Beatles song?

Helter Skelter is always my absolute favorite, but my favorite of the moment changes alot. It's usually one of these:

You've Really Got a Hold on Me

Hey Jude

While my Guitar Gently Weeps

A Hard Day's Night

You've Got to Hide Your Love Away

Money (That's What I Want)

Day Tripper

Eight Days a Week

Nowhere Man

Hey Bulldog

"Cry Baby Cry"

Really laid back and more mature than Lennon's previous dark psychedlic songs on Sgt. Pepper and Mystery Tour. The subtle "fades" gives the song a constant off vibe with lots of unresolved tension, McCartney's spooky fragment that leads into Revolution 9 puts it over the top for me. The atmosphere of the lyrics reminds me of the horror story "Turn of the Screw" and "The Innocents" film adapation for some reason. Very underrated song.

I would have guessed that both Banky and Edwin favourite Beatles song would have been Hey Jude.

I like it just fine, but I could name 30 songs of theirs I definitely prefer without pausing. "Hey Jude" is kind of like their "You Can't Always Get What You Want," in that sure, it's a fine song, but it's a bit simple for 7 minutes.

I've been listening to Long Long Long a great deal lately. I've also been drinking more, and thus consequently been hungover more, lately. I'm sure it's coincidental.

I've decided that my favorite Beatles song is She Said She Said and probably followed by I'm Only Sleeping, Golden Slumbers and Across the Universe.

I think that sadly I needed to hear other bands doing covers of those to really get into them but then they moved to the top of my list.

The lyrics are sappy and the beginning almost drowns the song right out of the blocks but, once it gets actually gets going, "All You Need Is Love" is actually kind of interesting, musically speaking. It's a perfect example of Lennon's knack at escaping meter without making it sound unnatural. The textural mix between the symphonic stuff and the conventional rock instruments fares pretty well. The little symphonic jig at the end (including Paul throwing in, out of nowhere, lyrics from "She Loves You") is kind of funny too.

Don't get me wrong, it's probably one of the weaker singles that came out of their psychedelic period...but I wouldn't even consider it the worst single they ever released, let alone the worst song they've ever done.

"Magical Mystery Tour", "Flying" and "Blue Jay Way" are all far worse in terms of songs from the same album.

Having said that, Magical Mystery Tour is probably my favourite Beatles record outside of the golden five.

Guest !!!

"All You Need Is Love" is pretty putrid, but the fadeout is kind of interesting.

I think their worst single is "The Ballad of John and Yoko."

Surely "Hello Goodbye" or "The Long and Winding Road" would top that.

I've decided that my favorite Beatles song is She Said She Said and probably followed by I'm Only Sleeping, Golden Slumbers and Across the Universe.

I think that sadly I needed to hear other bands doing covers of those to really get into them but then they moved to the top of my list.

I got into The Beatles through Motley Crue's cover of Helter Skelter.

"Hello Goodbye"

You're off your rocker, Yankee. If you can get past the gibberish lyrics to this song, and really, given that the quality of a song is rarely determined by the quality of the words behind it you should be able to, then it becomes quite obvious that "Hello Goodbye" boasts a better melody and is just generally more catchy than virtually any other Beatles song. Infact, had I posted in this thread on a different day then I might have declared it to be my favourite.

the Beatles doing the global broadcast of "all you need is love" is probably the high point of the 1960s. go fuck yourself if you think that song is "putrid." it's all about the CONTEXT. Lennon suddenly bursting out with that "...loves you YEAAAH YEAAH YEAAH" during the fadeout is my favorite beatle moment, period. speaking of which, I think my favorite Beatles song is "she loves you".

Surely "Hello Goodbye" or "The Long and Winding Road" would top that.

NO

According to iTunes, my favorite Beatles songs are "For No One," "Martha My Dear," and "Happiness is a Warm Gun."

81 posts so far and my favourite Beatles song still hasn't been mentioned yet.

who cares?

I'm just waiting for someone to guess it.