TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
1234-5678

Chinese Democracy Leaks

No question that good personnel have worked on it, but the end product seems to be unusually heavy on the machines for all the people who've undoubtedly recorded parts.

The rest of the album was all right, but not too memorable. The effect losing Slash had is really clear, to me at least: most of the energy and uniqueness of the GnR sound is gone. The punch and guitar approach that helped them blend hair metal and hard rock feels heavily diluted. Axl's still got the passion and still sounds pretty good, but without his other half it doesn't really matter (the same could be said of all Slash's side projects and subsequent work, none of which approach the unique chemistry of peak GnR). "The Blues" is definitely my favorite of these, and the closest to what I like about GnR in general.

I think the guitar work on "TWAT" is the best of the bunch.....

And yeah I just meant it's odd that he relied alot on drum machines with that list of talented dudes.

But it goes without saying, I love all 9 of the songs, with "Rhiad" being my least favorite.

What sucks is I have been pimping New Guns to my friends for so many years that they are sick of listening to me. And now that there is an awesome product for them to listen to....most refuse to, lol.

No question that good personnel have worked on it, but the end product seems to be unusually heavy on the machines for all the people who've undoubtedly recorded parts.

I don't know, I'm pretty sure these are unfinished demos, so maybe all the real drum tracks haven't been mixed in on these versions.

Nah, the machines are intentional. Axl has been a fan of drum loops since the mid-90's when he became interested in techno/industrial music. None of the songs feature loops all the way through, but they're a part of most of the songs. When I saw them live in '06 Brain did nothing for half of "Madagascar," just sat there for the verses while the loops played and then joined in on the choruses.

But it goes without saying, I love all 9 of the songs, with "Rhiad" being my least favorite.

What sucks is I have been pimping New Guns to my friends for so many years that they are sick of listening to me. And now that there is an awesome product for them to listen to....most refuse to, lol.

This sums up both my feelings on the tracks...and my day at work today

Thats why I love these Chinese Democracy threads. I post on this board pretty much everyday since...I don't even know how long...and its only in these threads that I chat with UYI or Jaxl at all.

They're like family reunions.

I listened to a couple early versions of some of these songs years ago, so this is all pretty much new to me.

I'm still listening to it on repeat, all the way through. I've only taken like four breaks from it for more then an hour at a time.

I'm lovin' this shit.

I spent pretty much 8 hours driving around at work today so I put together a CD with the 9 tracks here, and threw on Catcher in the Rye, the live version of Silkworms that I had on my computer...and some version of Oh My God from somewhere... And that's pretty much how I spent my day today.

Thats why I love these Chinese Democracy threads. I post on this board pretty much everyday since...I don't even know how long...and its only in these threads that I chat with UYI or Jaxl at all.

I think they're also the only threads Jaxl & UYI turn up.

Pretty much, these days.

There are threads on MYGNR.com stating that two more leaks (This I Love and Zodiac) are going to hit the Internet real soon, although it is seeming more and more like total bullshit - which is to be expected in the light of these recent leaks. Keep an eye out though.

I think they're also the only threads Jaxl & UYI turn up.

It's also all I talk about in real life......

"Ya see guys....Axl went into this cool new direction, while Slash....I mean did you listen to Velvet Revolver....that shit is embarassing...."

"Yo dude.....we're at a Phillies game....."

"Oh....right.

Sounds like Buckethead's influence made it past the cut too.

EDIT: Actually, maybe not.

He did the guitar work on 'Better' (which sounds the same) 'IRS' (which sounds different but the same - so probably redone) and 'Madagascar' (which sounds totally different but the same again) His other one was "There Was a Time" but I'm not sure if its on the leak.

Sounds like Buckethead's influence made it past the cut too.

EDIT: Actually, maybe not.

He did the guitar work on 'Better' (which sounds the same) 'IRS' (which sounds different but the same - so probably redone) and 'Madagascar' (which sounds totally different but the same again) His other one was "There Was a Time" but I'm not sure if its on the leak.

I've always heard that "Better" was a Robin Finck creation.

Yeah, of course - was front row. Axl was about 3 metres in front of me, could almost reach out and touch him, thus inciting a riot and ending my life. I was at the *second* Brisbane show, the one after where a fan threw a bottle at him 10 seconds into the Jungle intro and Axl threw a tantrum.

He was a pro, but didn't seem to have his heart in it until about half way through when he realised that the night before was the 'yobbo crowd' (Australian slang) and that the real fans showed up for the show first advertised. He was unbelievable, the greatest live experience I've witnessed, and I've been to my fair share. Pulled a killer version of The Blues and Paradise City is still the greatest finisher to any concert in history. I spent $150 and all I got were three damn shirts - but they were GUNS N ROSES SHIRTS.

Sebastian Bach was his support, and, surprisingly, it was him who kicked out a member of the audience for starting fights in the pit. It was a fuckin' great night. I don't know if I'll ever see them again, but at least I saw them once.

I also caught VR when they came here a few years back, when they had their old frontman...for some reason I can't even think of his name, Stone Temple Pilots guy that all the GNR fans couldn't get into. They just had nothing on Axl, which goes to show the kind of performer he is.

Now you've got me all nostalgic.

Axl is probably the only person I haven't seen live that I really want too.

GNR is also all I've been talking about in real life for the last few days.

If anybody comes across any new studio quality leaks, please post 'em up in this thread. This shit is ill as hell.

I really like Rhiad now, hated the live version. The other two songs are terrible. That "If The World.." song is embarrassing.

I love "If The World"....the only two friends I have played it for agree the music is really good....they just hate his voice overall.

I spent pretty much 8 hours driving around at work today so I put together a CD with the 9 tracks here, and threw on Catcher in the Rye, the live version of Silkworms that I had on my computer...and some version of Oh My God from somewhere... And that's pretty much how I spent my day today.

Yo, hook a nigga up with them shits, man.

Plus: Can somebody tell me which unamed song is what name.

I see you all talking about all these songs, and I have no idea which of the 3 you're talking about.

So yeah... somebody hook me up with some song names, and those songs bps mentioned. You'll be my hero for the day.

Yo, hook a nigga up with them shits, man.

Plus: Can somebody tell me which unamed song is what name.

I see you all talking about all these songs, and I have no idea which of the 3 you're talking about.

So yeah... somebody hook me up with some song names, and those songs bps mentioned. You'll be my hero for the day.

Rhiad and the Bedouins is leak 1

Leak 2 is untitled as of yet.

Leak 3 is If The World.

I'm going to listen to Chinese Democracy, and post the results.

Dude please, you're just gonna say "sounds like hair metal," "sounds like Michael Bolton," "sounds like Limp Bizkit," and something about walk-on music at a Cubs game.

By the way, hit me up for those Jim songs whenever.

Guest !!!

"Better" is basically a Bon Jovi song that nobody cares about. I can see what other people would like about "Chinese Democracy," but it isn't for me. "IRS" is good. The best way I can describe "Madagascar" is that it's somebody's concept of how to execute What Truly Great Music Is without having the instrumental or compositional chops to really create great music. Audio collage, string sections, it all just feels so obligatory. Also, I think they borrowed that synth-brass from In Through the Out Door, and holy shit, strings, there's a difference between tremolo and having the shakes. Calm down. The first yet-titled song is non-descript; the second one was kind of interesting; and the third was cool except for the guitar parts, which were a tad too heavy for the rest of the arrangement. The arrangement on "The Blues" is really good power ballad fare, but Axl keeps vacillating between his usual soaring raspy voice and this weird lower register that sounds like a muppet or something. "There Was a Time" sounds kind of interesting, but I'm not paying attention to the lyrics at all. Also, haha, twat.

The mix sounds awfully compressed, which will be perfect for the bitchin' new system I just had installed in my Blazer, but for home listening, it's less than ideal. Overall, it's not bad at all, but I'll just never truly get it, but, like, totally ew, why would I wanna get something that JaxlMorrison gets?

"Better" is basically a Bon Jovi song that nobody cares about.

It doesn't sound like Bon Jovi at all! As someone who back in the 10th grade was quite a Jovi connoisseur, I can say that it's not representative of their sound at any point in their career. Are you just using "Bon Jovi" as a catch-all term for hair bands? I think Motley Crue probably has more songs that sound like this one than Bon Jovi, not that they're a good musical comparison either. Honestly, it would have made more sense if you had said it sounded like Linkin Park. I don't know if that's better (ha!) or worse.

The mix sounds awfully compressed, which will be perfect for the bitchin' new system I just had installed in my Blazer, but for home listening, it's less than ideal. Overall, it's not bad at all, but I'll just never truly get it, but, like, totally ew, why would I wanna get something that JaxlMorrison gets?

Because I get alot of trim?

I'm sorry folks, that's all I've got, lol.