TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
1234-5678

Chinese Democracy Leaks

Which guy got arrested?

I read through all the stuff above and the name was different in all 3 instances if I read them correctly.

His real name is Kevin Cogill. He goes by the online alias "Skwerl."

This is weird. I had an ex that dated "Skwerl" right after me. I didn't know him personally, but it's still strange to me to see him come out of the woodwork after all these years for his 15 minutes of net fame.

Yup, still weird.

Not even Slash is on his side.

Nevertheless, a Guns N’ Roses curse has already been cast upon him by the band’s former lead guitarist Slash, who stated: "I hope he rots in jail. It's going to affect the sales of the record, and it's not fair. The Internet is what it is, and you have to deal with it accordingly, but I think if someone goes and steals something, it's theft."

http://www.efluxmedia.com/news_Blogger_Kev...oses_23242.html

I'm not going to hate on the guy. The record is 14 fucking years in the making, if he didn't leak those songs then they'd have never been heard...by anyone...ever

The horse is already dead, please stop beating it.

VF.DE:

What do you think “Chinese democracy” - the album your former colleague Axl Rose has been working on for ten years now - will sound like?

Slash:

To tell you the truth: I already listened to it. At first I thought that I would never listen to it until it’s released, but someone handed it to me and I was in my car and I was like “Okay, let’s give it a try.” So I listened to it: It’s a really good record. It’s very different from what the original Guns’n’Roses sounded like, but it’s a great statement by Axl. Now you understand where he was heading all this time. It’s a record that the original Guns N’Roses could never possibly make. And at the same time it just shows you how brilliant Axl is. So it was a relief for me to actually hear it.

From another forum...

"Ok, here goes...

My nephew is an employee at Best Buy. He is currently in Dallas for a big vendor convention. I was talking with him through AIM when I heard some pretty crazy news. Here are the details...

- 900 Best Buy employees were invited to listen to some new Guns N' Roses tracks.

- My nephew met with an English man in his 50's - dark hair, slicked back, dark skinned guy - said he was one of the band's managers.

- The "manager guy" then presented 3 new tracks from the forthcoming "Chinese Democracy" album - which he said "should be" released around Thanksgiving.

- The album is also to be released as a "Best Buy exclusive" - deal was finished in the last 48 hours.

- He also said that the Best Buy employees were the first to hear these songs outside of the label.

- The three songs were not named by the manager.

- Their manager said that there are to be 15 tracks on the album.

Ok, now some more details. Someone decided to record these songs on their PDA phone - and I've listened to them. The songs are as follows (in order they were played)...

1. Chinese Democracy

2. If the World

3. There Was a Time

First of all, my nephew said that everyone loved the songs, even though they were played on a crappy convention hall sound system. He's not a huge Guns fan like I am - as a matter of fact he's not even really into their old stuff - but he REALLY dug these new songs. He said Axl's voice sounds like another guitar track! The manager introduced "If the World" as a song to be played during the credits of a new Leo Dicaprio and Russell Crowe flick called "Body of Lies". He introduced "There Was a Time" as Axl's favorite. My nephew said this song was everyone else's favorite as well.

The songs sounded pretty much the same as the previous versions. If the World sounded a bit different, like it has a voice synth in the middle of the song where Axl has a longer lyric bridge. Some of the song's effects sounded different as well, but I can't tell if it's a result of the fact that they were recorded in a hall on a PDA. Man, this is the most exciting news I have heard in a while - even though I don't usually get my hopes up too much. Although I am a huge ol' school Guns fan, I just love the new stuff. Who cares if it's only Axl, it sounds awesome. Look at what the rest of GNR did. As much as I love Slash and Duff, VR was a huge let-down for me. I absolutely LOVE all of the the new GNR tracks I've heard so far, and I'm beyond excited to finally buy the 50 or so copies of Chinese Democracy I plan on buying!"

http://www.sendspace.com/file/8ou4gs

Why the fuck is he buying 50 copies?

I don't have a best buy here.

Maybe he thinks they are taking a more psychotic Metallica stance in you have to buy the album each time you want to listen to it, otherwise you are stealing?

And sadly, this pretty much confirms I won't be getting it. After Best Buy royally screwed us on a laptop repair, we decided we aren't given them anymore business.

According to an interview I heard with Brian Johnson and Angus Young, it is nearly impossible to make any money off of CD sales unless you release them as an exclusive deal with one of the major chain stores.

I don't really care if it comes out now. I have the nine tracks that were illegally released on CD. The songs are great. I probably listen to it at least once a week.

As someone stated previously, albums coming out as exclusives is becoming more and more commonplace. It forces anyone who doesn't use Itunes or bittorents to head to one store or website to buy it...and getting them in the door is a good thing for the retailer. I remember the story coming out a long while ago (when the record company reportedly recieved the album) that they were trying to get a bidding war going for the exclusive rights to the album.

It also works with advertising. Best Buy would put some of their own advertising dollars to make sure that everyone knows that they're the only brand that can get you the CD.

I had heard that labels were hoping Best Buy could score a major exclusive since they've lost out on all the others ones to come along and they feared they may back out in future bidding wars. I guess they got their wish.

Guest C*Z*E*C*H

The Martin Luther King Jr. audio in the middle of "Madagascar" is funny. Yeah, sure, why not.

NEW YORK (Billboard) - Best Buy will be the exclusive retailer for Guns N' Roses' long-in-the-works new album "Chinese Democracy" before year's end, sources close to the situation told Billboard.

Some details of the deal are still being worked out, including the release date.

The news brings a semblance of closure to the bizarre history of "Democracy," which Guns N' Roses has been working on since the mid-1990s. Since then, every original member, with the exception of vocalist Axl Rose, has left the once-mighty group, and millions of dollars have been spent working on the new material.

"Democracy" was most recently on the Interscope release schedule in March 2007. The endless delays encountered by the project reached comic levels this spring, when soft drink manufacturer Dr Pepper offered to send a free can of the beverage to "everyone in America" (excluding ex-GNR members Slash and Buckethead) if "Chinese Democracy" were to arrive during the calendar year 2008.

In June, nine purported "mastered, finished" tracks from the album were leaked online, prompting an FBI investigation into their source. A sign that "Chinese Democracy" was perhaps nearing release came in July, when the band agreed to debut new track "Shackler's Revenge" in the video game "Rock Band 2," which hit stores earlier this month.

Guns N' Roses is now managed by Irving Azoff's Front Line Management, and Azoff is a well-known proponent of issuing albums through exclusive deals with retailers. He released the Eagles' "Long Road Out of Eden" through Wal-Mart in 2007, much to the chagrin of other merchants, but the album was a runaway hit, having sold 3.1 million copies in the United States, according to Nielsen SoundScan.

Reuters/Billboard

Apparently the 3 songs that were rumored in that best buy story were recorded on someones cell phone and they leaked out. I haven't heard them but from what I read they're more finished than the demos were...lending more believablity to the whole ordeal.

If anyone manages to find them...let me know. Although the quality is obviously second hand and shit...I'd like to hear the differences for myself.

Those songs were reportedly ones we've already heard (Chinese Democracy and There Was A Time among them), so nothing really new is coming of this song-wise, unfortunately. This Best Buy deal is showing up in news everywhere, this is the biggest lead GNR fans have had in a decade that something might actually happen...this year.

Say I do believe.

Guns N' Roses will release the long-awaited Chinese Democracy exclusively through Best Buy on Sunday, November 23rd.

The album has been over 17 years in the making, with the band's last studio album being the two-part Use Your Illusion in 1991. "Shackler's Revenge" will debut in the video game "Rock Band 2," while a portion of "If the World" will playover the end credits in the new Leonardo DiCaprio/Russell Crowe film "Body of Lies."

Credit: Billboard.com

'Bout fucking time.

According to the LA Times article other retailers will just purchase mass quantities from Best Buy and sell them in their stores, so the "exclusive" tag is somewhat misleading.

Anyone want to take guesses on how many units are sold the first week? And where do I get my free Dr. Pepper?

... and I will be there on that day to buy it.

Lucky that my step-mom to be gave me a $15 gift card to Best Buy for my B-Day, eh?