TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
1234-5678

Chinese Democracy Leaks

His voice isn't shot, but it's getting there. I saw them twice on the last tour, the first time I saw them his voice was basically awful for the whole show, the nasily 2002 voice. The second time, he had the raspy voice for about the first half of the concert but it was gone by the second half.

There's a reason he's putting so many effects and shit on his vocals in the songs now.

Guest C*Z*E*C*H
I'm actually really bothered by the criticism....were people really happy with the decade of Creed, Linkin Park and Nickleback dominating the airwaves? Seriously?

If you're "bothered by the criticism," you're an idiot. You didn't make the album.

I'm actually really bothered by the criticism....were people really happy with the decade of Creed, Linkin Park and Nickleback dominating the airwaves? Seriously?

If you're "bothered by the criticism," you're an idiot. You didn't make the album.

Perhaps, sure. But I'm such a big fan it irritates me that no one is even going to give it a chance.

Perhaps, sure. But I'm such a big fan it irritates me that no one is even going to give it a chance.

Lots of people are going to give it a chance. And then there are a lot who will assume it sucks just because Slash isn't in the band. And that's unfortunate, but how often has there been a successful band where the singer dumped all his bandmates (or they left, whatever, I'm not going to put all the blame on Axl but I think most should fall on him) and the band was still just as artistically and commercially viable? And especially when one of those bandmates is someone as renowned as Slash, who is identified with GNR just as much as Axl is, it's not surprising that people would be skeptical. And on top of that, when the album has taken so long to come out, isn't it natural that people will have high expectations? Granted, those expectations are mostly the product of media hype since Axl has usually reminded fans in his rare comments on it that "it's just an album." But when you take that long, people are going to expect something on par with the band's most celebrated works. And while I really like the song "Chinese Democracy", do you think it will be a classic rock mainstay in twenty years the way the three hit singles from Appetite are now? I highly doubt it.

Plus, it's Axl Rose. People have been loving to hate him for the past twenty years. All that combined is going to lead to a large dose of negativity for whatever he does in the future short of reuniting the old band.

Lots of people are going to give it a chance. And then there are a lot who will assume it sucks just because Slash isn't in the band. And that's unfortunate, but how often has there been a successful band where the singer dumped all his bandmates (or they left, whatever, I'm not going to put all the blame on Axl but I think most should fall on him) and the band was still just as artistically and commercially viable? And especially when one of those bandmates is someone as renowned as Slash, who is identified with GNR just as much as Axl is, it's not surprising that people would be skeptical. And on top of that, when the album has taken so long to come out, isn't it natural that people will have high expectations? Granted, those expectations are mostly the product of media hype since Axl has usually reminded fans in his rare comments on it that "it's just an album." But when you take that long, people are going to expect something on par with the band's most celebrated works. And while I really like the song "Chinese Democracy", do you think it will be a classic rock mainstay in twenty years the way the three hit singles from Appetite are now? I highly doubt it.

Plus, it's Axl Rose. People have been loving to hate him for the past twenty years. All that combined is going to lead to a large dose of negativity for whatever he does in the future short of reuniting the old band.

I just have to say, "renowned as Slash"?

Just cause he's not as big a dick as Axl doesn't mean that the Snakepit and Velvet Revolver haven't absolutely sucked balls....since when are nice guys supposed to win in rock n roll anyways?

Guest C*Z*E*C*H

That's false. Everyone is going to give it a chance! It'll be the highest-selling album of the year in a walkover. And with that immense sample size, lots of people are going to love it, lots of people are going to like it, lots will be indifferent, lots more disappointed, and lots will think it's digital horseshit. All manners of conclusion will be reached by millions of listeners, and you'll find reviews representing all of them if you care to seek them out. Look, I'm a big fan of certain bands, too, but I don't freak out when negative reviews are published about them. If anything, I got upset by what I felt was a staggering level of groupthink regarding In Rainbows, and wanted to hear from some people who absolutely hated the album (I was merely disappointed) just so I felt justified in not being blown away. Trust me: you'll find plenty of reviews that verbally wash Axl Rose's feet, and if that brings you pleasure (your vicarious dismay with the negative reviews leads me to believe it does), then you'll be very happy indeed. There will be no shortage of positive reviews for your eyes to fall upon. Don't worry your rock 'n' roll heart about those mean old indie nerds at Pitchfork (though I bet they'll give it an 8.5, they give everyone an 8.5 now). Chances will be given, the album will be celebrated, and this will bring you wheelbarrows of acclaim by proxy. Congratulations! A banner year! You like an album that's movin' units and snatchin' asterisks! You've won at music indeed.

Re: title track: did he rhyme "nation" with "masturbation"? Didn't Sammy Hagar do that once?

I saw a fan in the crowd on Raw in '98 hold up a "NATION OF MASTURBATION" sign. Perhaps that fan was W. Axl Rose.

I'm sure Pitchfork (sorry. P.Fork) will give it a 3.8 and go on about how it isn't "boozy and bloozy" enough. Or they'll give it a 1.1 and just show a gif of a cat licking its own ass. Either way, sorry Dan, ain't no way. The question is what will Steven Thomas Erlewine think. He, being the Ebert of music critics, has a duty to enjoy most anything that's popular, but I wouldn't doubt him falling into the "Guns N' Roses without Slash? Well that's just dumb!" camp if he feels enough of his readers want to hear that. Or maybe, given the disparity between the review text and scores of the Use Your Illusion albums, he'll trash the fuck out of the album and he'll still give it ****.

I seriously doubt it will be the biggest seller of the year. You think it'll sell better than the HSM3 soundtrack? Or the upcoming Kanye CD? Or, dare I say, the undisputed darling of the music folder andyesI'mtalkingabout WEEZY? I don't know Dan, I just don't know.

Guest C*Z*E*C*H

I thought Ebert shifted into the elitist role after Gene Siskel's death and left the populist drooling to Richard Roeper. I don't know what Pitchfork will do, actually, but I'm confident that it will get a real review, at the very least.

And yes. I'm confident in Chinese Democracy. I don't know if it'll be very good (I found the Antiquiet leaks to be rather middling hard rock), but I think it'll be #1. Yes, ahead of High School Musical.

Just cause he's not as big a dick as Axl doesn't mean that the Snakepit and Velvet Revolver haven't absolutely sucked balls....since when are nice guys supposed to win in rock n roll anyways?

Are you arguing that Slash is not a popular figure in rock? That most fans of Guns N' Roses (putting aside the Axl loyalists on certain message boards) do not hold him in high regard? That he did not have a great deal of influence on he band's sound? Come on now.

Are you arguing that Slash is not a popular figure in rock? That most fans of Guns N' Roses (putting aside the Axl loyalists on certain message boards) do not hold him in high regard? That he did not have a great deal of influence on he band's sound? Come on now.

He's popular, but I have no idea why. Most of his playing and solos are exactly the same, and his attempts at music since GNR...well I've already gone over them. It was Axl's voice, attitude and lyrics that made GNR. Slash is a cartoon character sure, but it's like Axl said....

"Basically, to me, it was because I am watching this guy and I don't understand it. Playing with everyone from Space Ghost to Michael Jackson. I don't get it. I wanted the world to love and respect him. I just watched him throw it away.''"

Slash is a whore.

I think "Better" and "The Blues/Street Of Dreams" have a shot at that type of longevity, sure.

He's popular, but I have no idea why. Most of his playing and solos are exactly the same, and his attempts at music since GNR...well I've already gone over them. It was Axl's voice, attitude and lyrics that made GNR. Slash is a cartoon character sure, but it's like Axl said....

"Basically, to me, it was because I am watching this guy and I don't understand it. Playing with everyone from Space Ghost to Michael Jackson. I don't get it. I wanted the world to love and respect him. I just watched him throw it away.''"

Slash is a whore.

A.) If you really have no idea why he's popular, you're a fucking moron.

B.) His playing and solos are not all the same at all. You're just throwing out random idiotic statements that have absolutely no merit to them.

C.) GNR was not made by Axl's voice, attitude and lyrics. If that were the case, it wouldn't have taken him more than a decade to come out with such a poor attempt at re-creating it. GNR would have never been nearly as big as they were without Slash. That is a fact.

D.) Most of the songs Slash has done without Axl are better than the songs Axl has done without Slash.

E.) I don't believe that is an actual quote from Axl. I'd like to see a source on that. If it is real, well.. Axl just appeared on three songs on fucking Sebastian Bach's album, and supposedly has him singing on Chinese Democracy. He had SHAQUILLE FUCKING O'NEAL in the studio recording with the band. So he's not really one to talk. You need to ease off his nuts.

A. I don't like him. He's a putz who will jump onstage with anyone. It's embarrassing. Even more embarrassing is his recent attempts to kiss Axl's ass after years of badmouthing him. After the very very low sales of Revolver's second album? Of course he thinks Axl is a genius now.

B. Slash sounds the same on everything. Open your ears. Sure, it worked for Appetite, and his "Estranged" solo on UYI II was great. But the guy's never shown any will to evolve. It's like he has "Generic Slash Solos" # 1-5 in his arsenal, and he uses them over and over. It puts me to sleep.

C. "“At first I thought that I would never listen to it until it’s released, but someone handed it to me and I was in my car and I was like, ‘Okay, let’s give it a try.’ So I listened to it: It’s a really good record. It’s very different from what the original Guns N’ Roses sounded like, but it’s a great statement by Axl. Now you understand where he was heading all this time. It’s a record that the original Guns N’ Roses could never possibly make. And at the same time it just shows you how brilliant Axl is. So it was a relief for me to actually hear it.”-Slash.

D. You're retarded. Again, Snakepit and Revolver were much more of an embarrassment to the GNR name then any mistakes Axl has made....and YES, I know that is saying alot. That's the point. And you're wrong. Even "Rhiad" or "Democracy", IMO two of the weaker songs on the new album, blow away anything Slash has had his name on.

E. http://heretodaygonetohell.com/articles/sh...hp?articleid=30 And Shaq wandered into a studio that had Dizzy Reed and Paul Huge working, I think. It said GNR on the door, but I highly doubt Axl was trying to secure the guy to a contact so he could appear on the album.

A. I don't like him. He's a putz who will jump onstage with anyone. It's embarrassing. Even more embarrassing is his recent attempts to kiss Axl's ass after years of badmouthing him. After the very very low sales of Revolver's second album? Of course he thinks Axl is a genius now.

He's a guitarist. He plays guitar with people. What is he supposed to do, sit in his bedroom for 15 years like Axl Rose? Why is it anyone's business? He's playing music and expanding his brand name. How is it any more "whorish" than Axl slapping the GNR name on fucking shot glasses and keychains and coffee mugs and cigarette lighters like he's fucking Gene Simmons or something? It's a much more subtle way of "whoring yourself out"...or, as I prefer to call it, MAKING MONEY.

B. Slash sounds the same on everything. Open your ears. Sure, it worked for Appetite, and his "Estranged" solo on UYI II was great. But the guy's never shown any will to evolve. It's like he has "Generic Slash Solos" # 1-5 in his arsenal, and he uses them over and over. It puts me to sleep.

Find me a Slash solo that sounds like November Rain. Or Sweet Child O'Mine. Or Don't Cry. Or Rocket Queen. Or Coma. Or Street Child. Want to get more recent? How about American Man? Or Gravedancer? You can't find other Slash solos like them, because they don't exist. You're talking out of your ass here.

C. "“At first I thought that I would never listen to it until it’s released, but someone handed it to me and I was in my car and I was like, ‘Okay, let’s give it a try.’ So I listened to it: It’s a really good record. It’s very different from what the original Guns N’ Roses sounded like, but it’s a great statement by Axl. Now you understand where he was heading all this time. It’s a record that the original Guns N’ Roses could never possibly make. And at the same time it just shows you how brilliant Axl is. So it was a relief for me to actually hear it.”-Slash.

What does that have to do with the original GNR? It's a record the original group could never make because they would have never put out something so unbearably shitty.

Why didn't you paste the quote from that MTV interview with Kurt Loder where Axl says Chinese Democracy started out as an attempt to make another Appetite-style album, but he had to scrap that because he couldn't find anyone like Slash.

What does that tell you about how much he meant to the band?

D. You're retarded. Again, Snakepit and Revolver were much more of an embarrassment to the GNR name then any mistakes Axl has made....and YES, I know that is saying alot. That's the point. And you're wrong. Even "Rhiad" or "Democracy", IMO two of the weaker songs on the new album, blow away anything Slash has had his name on.

Snakepit was a decent band. I don't really take it for anymore than what it was. Slash wasn't trying to reinvent the wheel or anything, he was just having fun playing music with his friends.

Most Velvet Revolver songs are better than the Chinese Democracy songs I've heard. In fact, I'd wager that Chinese Democracy won't even have the commercial success Contraband had. I doubt it will sell as well nor will it have two No. 1 singles like Contraband did. And frankly, I thought Contraband sucked compared to Libertad, despite the lack of sales for the latter.

Slash has never been associated with anything as bad as the pieces of shit like "Silkworms" or "Oh My God" that Axl has squeezed out in the last decade.

E. http://heretodaygonetohell.com/articles/sh...hp?articleid=30 And Shaq wandered into a studio that had Dizzy Reed and Paul Huge working, I think. It said GNR on the door, but I highly doubt Axl was trying to secure the guy to a contact so he could appear on the album.

Working with Paul Huge is as bad as working with anyone you can whine about Slash working with.

He's a guitarist. He plays guitar with people. What is he supposed to do, sit in his bedroom for 15 years like Axl Rose? Why is it anyone's business? He's playing music and expanding his brand name. How is it any more "whorish" than Axl slapping the GNR name on fucking shot glasses and keychains and coffee mugs and cigarette lighters like he's fucking Gene Simmons or something? It's a much more subtle way of "whoring yourself out"...or, as I prefer to call it, MAKING MONEY.

Find me a Slash solo that sounds like November Rain. Or Sweet Child O'Mine. Or Don't Cry. Or Rocket Queen. Or Coma. Or Street Child. Want to get more recent? How about American Man? Or Gravedancer? You can't find other Slash solos like them, because they don't exist. You're talking out of your ass here.

What does that have to do with the original GNR? It's a record the original group could never make because they would have never put out something so unbearably shitty.

Why didn't you paste the quote from that MTV interview with Kurt Loder where Axl says Chinese Democracy started out as an attempt to make another Appetite-style album, but he had to scrap that because he couldn't find anyone like Slash.

What does that tell you about how much he meant to the band?

Snakepit was a decent band. I don't really take it for anymore than what it was. Slash wasn't trying to reinvent the wheel or anything, he was just having fun playing music with his friends.

Most Velvet Revolver songs are better than the Chinese Democracy songs I've heard. In fact, I'd wager that Chinese Democracy won't even have the commercial success Contraband had. I doubt it will sell as well nor will it have two No. 1 singles like Contraband did. And frankly, I thought Contraband sucked compared to Libertad, despite the lack of sales for the latter.

Working with Paul Huge is as bad as working with anyone you can whine about Slash working with.

Slash played with Fergie. And shit, I think Blackstreet. Again, it's an embarrassment. Axl cares more about making music that means something, rather then putting his name on any old piece of shit. Perfectionist, ok. Nuts, probably. But the fact is, the time it took for this to come out makes it, and the band name, far more important then if he'd tossed out 3 or 4 albums in the same time period.

Name me a Slash solo that someone else who has been in GNR, Finck, Buckethead, Ron Thal, Richard Fortus, hasn't found a way to make better. Because they are simplistic. Sure they are, or were, original, yeah. Slash has his own sound. But a little evolving wouldn't have killed him. Playing the same shit, however, HAS killed him. Unless you play Guitar Hero.

If you honestly think Velvet Revolver is better then the new GNR songs, I can't even argue with you anymore. You're just too far gone. That's so ridiculous, it's....well ridiculous. Just an atrocious band, so much weaker then I expected. And bag on Axl taking so long as much as you want. Scott Weiland, now there's a guy whose well is dry. Terrible lyrics.

Democracy will outsell Revolver's first album with it's first week of sales.....ok, maybe not that much, but I guarantee within a month. And "Fall To Pieces" was so unbearingly embarrassing, just....wow.....I have to stop. I can literally feel my face getting hot. Terrible....awful, just an utter abortion of a song. I think Weiland and/or Duff had the balls to call that their "Sweet Child." Ridiculous.....

Again, no one has ever heard what Paul Huge has had to contribute. They are just going on what bitter former members, Slash, Matt Sorum, have had to say. Unless you've played with Huge personally, of course....

Trust me, if Velvet Revolver or Slash's Snakepit had been any good, I would've been the first to celebrate it. The old band, and it's members, were my favorite. Until I heard how good the new band was. And how terrible Slash's efforts were. It's not an example of "swinging from Axl's balls" or whatever. It's called taste.

Put me down as being underwhelmed by Velvet Revolver...the only song of theirs I have in my mp3 player is "Headspace". There's no way in hell I'd put any of their songs ahead of ANY GnR song not called "My World"....well maybe "Bad Apples" as well.

Fall to Pieces is definitely terrible...he says some form of the word "fall" about 80 billion times throughout the song. Kinda disappointing song writing when you consider some of the BIZARRE lyrics Weiland can come up with (like the entire Tiny Gifts album).

I don't agree with Slash being boring and unoriginal and what not, though. He has a distinct sound that might not be super-flashy, but it's good and it works for him.

Put me down as being underwhelmed by Velvet Revolver...the only song of theirs I have in my mp3 player is "Headspace". There's no way in hell I'd put any of their songs ahead of ANY GnR song not called "My World"....well maybe "Bad Apples" as well.

Fall to Pieces is definitely terrible...he says some form of the word "fall" about 80 billion times throughout the song. Kinda disappointing song writing when you consider some of the BIZARRE lyrics Weiland can come up with (like the entire Tiny Gifts album).

I don't agree with Slash being boring and unoriginal and what not, though. He has a distinct sound that might not be super-flashy, but it's good and it works for him.

Fall to pieces

I'm fallin'

Fell to pieces and I'm

Still fallin

Everytime I'm fallin down

All alone I fall to pieces

Jesus Christ.....

I think Slash has been awful since GNR, but that doesn't change the fact that his guitar was a huge part of the band's success. Neither has been particularly good without the other.

Yes, I think that's about the best way to put it really. Bury the hatchet, fellas. Dig up Izzy wherever he is, Duff will follow Slash anywhere he goes, Sorum's kind of a scumbag but if you want him, go for it. THAT'S the album that is going to set high sales.

Yes, I think that's about the best way to put it really. Bury the hatchet, fellas. Dig up Izzy wherever he is, Duff will follow Slash anywhere he goes, Sorum's kind of a scumbag but if you want him, go for it. THAT'S the album that is going to set high sales.

It probably would, but I don't think it would be better, musically, then "Democracy." Would be several steps back.

And Izzy toured with the new band in '06 and '07.

And Izzy toured with the new band in '06 and '07.

heh, I was JUST coming back to edit that in to my post...I thought I had read that somewhere.

I don't view it as a step back, though. Musically, the UYI albums were different than Appetite...so they were HEADING in that direction before getting derailed.

Name me a Slash solo that someone else who has been in GNR, Finck, Buckethead, Ron Thal, Richard Fortus, hasn't found a way to make better. Because they are simplistic.

This is just so stupid. So so so stupid. I mean, I don't know where we can really go from here. You would obviously rather listen to shitty guitarists like Robin Finck and Bumblefoot, so I think this part of the discussion is pretty much over.

If you honestly think Velvet Revolver is better then the new GNR songs, I can't even argue with you anymore. You're just too far gone. That's so ridiculous, it's....well ridiculous. Just an atrocious band, so much weaker then I expected. And bag on Axl taking so long as much as you want. Scott Weiland, now there's a guy whose well is dry. Terrible lyrics

Please enlighten me on what makes Axl's new songs SO much better than Velvet Revolver. I realize you think they are mind-blowing, earth shattering stuff, but please understand that the only people who really think that are you and posters on MyGNRForum.

Democracy will outsell Revolver's first album with it's first week of sales.....ok, maybe not that much, but I guarantee within a month. And "Fall To Pieces" was so unbearingly embarrassing, just....wow.....I have to stop. I can literally feel my face getting hot. Terrible....awful, just an utter abortion of a song. I think Weiland and/or Duff had the balls to call that their "Sweet Child." Ridiculous.....

I don't particularly like Fall to Pieces either, but I was just talking strictly about commercial success. Axl won't have that kind of success with whatever singles he releases. I mean, Chinese Democracy was a fucking god awful single choice. One of the worst new songs they've got.

Velvet Revolver's worst songs aren't anywhere near as bad as nuGNR's worst songs (Silkworms, Oh My God, Rhiad, etc.)

Again, no one has ever heard what Paul Huge has had to contribute. They are just going on what bitter former members, Slash, Matt Sorum, have had to say. Unless you've played with Huge personally, of course....

Thankfully, we'll probably never hear it because of the revolving door of shitty musicians that Axl has had in there. Although, someone shittier like Robin Finck or something probably took his place so it's a lose-lose situation for the listeners.

Name me a Slash solo that someone else who has been in GNR, Finck, Buckethead, Ron Thal, Richard Fortus, hasn't found a way to make better. Because they are simplistic.

"November Rain." The way Finck plays that is terrible. He tries to add his own spin to it but just ends up ruining the solo.

Thankfully, we'll probably never hear it because of the revolving door of shitty musicians that Axl has had in there. Although, someone shittier like Robin Finck or something probably took his place so it's a lose-lose situation for the listeners.

Richard Fortus replaced Paul Huge, and he's the best of the guitarists the new band has had.

Guest C*Z*E*C*H
Axl cares more about making music that means something, rather then putting his name on any old piece of shit.

I'm glad he cares about making meaningful music. He ought to give it a try.

Are you a grown man? Teenage girls fawn over Backstreet Boys less than you fawn over Axl Rose. It's farcical.