TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
1234-5678

Chinese Democracy Leaks

Rolling Stone's take on Axl's epic post...

Axl Rose didn’t give any magazine or TV interviews to herald the release of Chinese Democracy. But just days after breaking his silence with a pair of Q&As on Guns n’ Roses message boards, Rose has published a 4,594-word post and an additional Q&A on the two fan sites. Those who haven’t been following the Gn’R saga for the past 20 years may be a bit confused by some of his references to age-old beefs with Slash and other bits of Guns jargon. We’ve broken out the juiciest bits and explained them here:

Claim I. I didn’t swindle my bandmates.

Backstory: Slash has alleged that Axl refused to go onstage one night during the Use Your Illusion tour in 1992 unless the band signed away the name rights to the band. “Unfortunately, we signed it,” said Slash. “I didn’t think he’d on stage otherwise.”

Axl’s take: “Never happened, all made up, fallacy and fantasy. Not one single solitary thread of truth to it. Had that been the case I would’ve have been cremated years ago legally, could’ve cleaned me out for the name and damages. It’s called under duress with extenuating circumstances.”

Plausibility: Axl makes a surprisingly strong case. Might Slash not have had the clearest head during that tour?

Claim II. Slash lied in his book.

Backstory: In Slash’s 2007 book the guitarist claims that Guns n’ Roses’ final recording sessions were stalled due to a vast musical direction between himself and Axl.

Axl’s take: “I have the rehearsal tapes. There’s nothing but Slash-based blues rock and he stopped it to both go solo and try to completely take over Guns. I read all this if Axl would’ve put words and melodies on it could’ve… I was specifically told no lyrics, no melodies, no changes to anything and to sing what I was told or fuck off.”

Plausibility: It’s a classic case of he said, Slash said — but again, Slash’s memory of events from the 1990s is always questionable.

Claim III: We won’t reform at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Backstory: Fans have been clamoring for a reunion tour from the original lineup when the band is eventually inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Slash has said, “If this comes up, I’d hope we’d be mature enough to get up and do that.”

Axl’s take: “Never thought about that, with the RRHOF. The whole ‘mature enough’ bit was cute. Not to offend anyone but personally I don’t have an interest… It’s a ways away and seems a bit presumptuous to be contemplating being inducted now.”

Plausibility: Axl is now managed by Irving Azoff, a reunion miracle worker who reformed the Eagles and got David Lee Roth back onstage with Van Halen last year. His work is cut out for him this time. If it ever happens, it probably won’t be at the Rock and Roll Fall of Fame in two years.

Claim IV: Velvet Revolver took our song.

Backstory: Velvet Revolver had a hit single in 2004 with “Fall To Pieces.”

Axl’s take: He claims the song originated during the band’s ill-fated final sessions in the mid 1990s. “… Which led to the trial period where Slash played the key bits of ‘Fall to Pieces’ but once I showed some interest that was over.”

Plausibility: Hearing it again today, it’s easy to imagine Axl singing the song — which could have been a classic Gn’R hit if done right. Did Slash play it for Axl, only to pull it when interest was showed? Probably.

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/inde...s-online-rants/

Yeah, I tend to agree.

s LARS ULRICH Holding Up Release Of GUNS N' ROSES' 'Better' Video? - Dec. 29, 2008

According to an online posting by Fernando Lebeis, the son of Beta Lebeis — GUNS N' ROSES frontman Axl Rose's personal assistant — the release of the band's new video for the song "Better" is being held up by a legal matter involving METALLICA drummer Lars Ulrich. Although exact details are sketchy, it appears that Ulrich's image is featured in the clip and his release form needs to be signed before the video can be distributed and promoted to music video television programmers worldwide.

Responding to questions on the GUNS N' ROSES fan board MyGNRForum.com regarding the delay in the release of the "Better" clip, Fernando Lebeis wrote, "Tell Lars to OK the vid and it's done. That's all that is pending." When asked by a fan who the "Lars" was that he was referring to, Fernando replied, "Lars Ulrich. We are pending his release form to be signed."

Ulrich was reportedly seen backstage at a number of GUNS N' ROSES shows on the band's 2006 tour and even performed the song "Out Ta Get Me" with GN'R on December 15, 2006 during Axl Rose and company's headlining appearance at the Oracle Arena (formerly Oakland Arena) in Oakland, California.

"Better" is the second single from GUNS N' ROSES' new album, "Chinese Democracy", which sold 56,000 copies in the United States in its fourth week of release to land at position No. 33 on The Billboard 200 chart. The CD has shifted 421,000 units since it was released on November 23 as a Best Buy exclusive after a wait of more than 15 years.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermo...wsitemID=111623

I got Chinese Democracy for Christmas, and I thought it was one of the most weird albums I've ever heard. There was pretty much no consistent style for the whole album. If anyone hasn't listened to it yet, don't expect the whole album to be like the title track, as it is the only normal sounding song on the album. The next track "Shackler's Revenge" took a complete 180 and is pretty much a straight up industrial song. I was laughing hysterically throughout it. I don't even know what rating to give this album really, but it was pretty fast paced for something that was about 70 mins long.

Jet are a fantastic band.

What's wrong with Jet? It's fun rock and roll. This album right here is such a disappointment for me. It sounds like every other modern rock band on the radio right now. There is nothing GnR about it at all. It's way too bland. 14 years to make this pile of dog shit? I'm sorry.

What's wrong with Jet? It's fun rock and roll.

This is the only way you can justify liking a 'fantastic band'?

It's enough for me to like The Stooges and The MC5... What makes Jet any different?

What's wrong with Jet? It's fun rock and roll. This album right here is such a disappointment for me. It sounds like every other modern rock band on the radio right now. There is nothing GnR about it at all. It's way too bland. 14 years to make this pile of dog shit? I'm sorry.

I can see why some people may not like this album, as it sounds nothing like GNR at all, but calling it BLAND!? This album was anything but bland, as just about every song on it jumps into other musical genres. The first time I listened to it, I didn't know what the hell to think, but when I got drunk for new years, I thought this album was better the 2nd time listening to it. Being drunk most likely helped. I also found it hilarious in the song Madagascar that the same Cool Hand Luke quote that was used in the song "Civil War" was used in that song as well!

It's enough for me to like The Stooges and The MC5... What makes Jet any different?

They suck

We obviously have differing opinions on rock and roll. I hardly think that The Stooges or The MC5 suck.

I can see why some people may not like this album, as it sounds nothing like GNR at all, but calling it BLAND!? This album was anything but bland, as just about every song on it jumps into other musical genres. The first time I listened to it, I didn't know what the hell to think, but when I got drunk for new years, I thought this album was better the 2nd time listening to it. Being drunk most likely helped. I also found it hilarious in the song Madagascar that the same Cool Hand Luke quote that was used in the song "Civil War" was used in that song as well!

I don't know. I guess I had super high hopes for this album. I'll lower my expectations and give it a second listen.

They suck

We obviously have differing opinions on rock and roll. I hardly think that The Stooges or The MC5 suck.

Quick, defend Wolfmother next!

They suck

What am I defending them from?

They suck

I dunno.

They suck

I dunno.

So I'm a fan of Sabbath and Zeppelin, why wouldn't I like Wolfmother? I think they are fantastic. What do you listen to anyhow?

They suck

WOOSH

I don't know. I guess I had super high hopes for this album. I'll lower my expectations and give it a second listen.

Trust me. It does get better the 2nd time around. The songs I thought were most helped by a 2nd listen were "Shackler's Revenge" and "If the World".

The real crime here is lumping in Jet with the Stooges and MC5, as if the former deserved to be in the same company with the latter. They don't. Jet is the Hinder of the garage-rock set.

Well obviously I need to be educated more on what is the 'Hinder' of said genres. There are a lot of similarities between Zeppelin and Wolfmother whether you like it or not. I'm not comparing them as a band of equal status, but they have a similar sound. I'm not saying that Jet is as talented as The Stooges/MC5 etc. Nor am I saying that Wolfmother is as talented as Sabbath and Zeppelin.

They suck

I dunno.

So I'm a fan of Sabbath and Zeppelin, why wouldn't I like Wolfmother? I think they are fantastic. What do you listen to anyhow?

What Gary Floyd listens to (the answer is a lot of random stuff)

The real crime here is lumping in Jet with the Stooges and MC5, as if the former deserved to be in the same company with the latter. They don't. Jet is the Hinder of the garage-rock set.

I don't like Hinder one damn bit, but I can think of a worse band than them. How about Three Days Grace? I think they are the worst band of today.