TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JN News

Carl's Jr. & Hardee's

Guest Vitamin X

Yeah, I would say just try the double cheeseburger and add bacon on it. Their best thing they have there is frostys, I would check those out. For the truly adventurous, dip fries in them. I love them that way, some people think the idea is disgusting. Another good dip for the fries there? Sweet and sour.

They have a good value menu too. The chili's decent, as is the baked potato, but everyone likes the 99 cent double stack (or whatever they call it now- it's essentially a miniature version of the bigger burgers) and the chicken snack wraps are actually pretty damn good, and cheap. I think they're $1.50.

I recently went to California and In N' Out Burger was all the rave, but I thought it kind of sucked. Burnt buns, greasy ass meat, a menu you can't even see, and some weak ass fries. I was unimpressed.

Glad to see I'm not alone in this aspect. In'N'Out has some nostalgia value for me because I'm from California, but I also think they're not that great. Usually they're really sloppy and greasy, and have almost too much sauce. If you're hungry, or if you're like me and grew up in suburban L.A. and need a place to hang out with your buds until 1am or so, it's not bad. I spent many a pointless night doing stupid shit at my In-N-Out.

The burgers are alright. I probably like them the best out of the big three (Heck, Wendy's is by far my favorite overall out of the big three). If you really want to man up, I'd recommend the 3/4 pound Triple Cheeseburger.

I never really liked Wendy's burgers because the burger has always seemed pretty thin to me. Plus the cheese never seems to be melted.

Well yeah, like any fast food burgers, Wendy's are incredibly inconsistant. On the rare occassion that I do order a burger there, I aim low and get one off the value menu. The real draw of Wendy's is The Value Menu and The Frostys.

Guest The Elements of Style

I can't justify getting food from Culver's anymore. It's too expensive and not really all that good. Frozen custard, yeah, I'll get that now and then, but a full meal? No. I'm broke.

Anyone else care for Culver's? They're spreading rapidly, it seems. Invader3k/snuffbox/Brody to thread

My only problem with Culver's is that it takes forever for them to bring your food out. Even if I'm the only person in the drive-thru, I sit there for a good 10 or 15 minutes. Food's good, though, I really like the fish sandwiches.

I wish we had a Sonic's and/or Jack In the Box in Bloomington, Illinois but we got the usual fast food fodder

Guest Tzar Lysergic

There was a Culver's in Ft. Wayne, but it closed before I ever ate there. I don't get ice cream too often.

I went to Carl's Jr when I slept at pbone's the other day and I had their Monster Breakfast sandwich. Fuck that thing is fucking badass.

I pull no punches, I love fast food, it's a struggle to stay out of the places, but I particularly love fast food breakfast. That's the best breakfast sandwich, easy.

I used to favor the traditional BK sausage croissan'wich, but they stopped using actual croissants and used bread in the shape of a croissant. You can get the same thing at Jack in the Box still in a real croissant. 24 hour drive thru and 24 hour breakfast were good shit during my more party heavy days. Sausage biscuits at 3 in the morning while you're all fucked up... that's the finger of god.

New York sucks when it comes to fast food

Paying almost double the price for everything doesnt help much. I paid $9 for the Taco Bell Box meal thing and it runs like $5 everywhere else. Now I know why the dumb carts are so popular even though you'd never get me to eat out of one on a dare.

I was floored however, that the McD's in Times Square had the 32 Oz Sweet Tea for $1. I was so thirsty that day I had 2.

Me and Nighthawk talked about this a couple months ago. It seems like the smaller the town, the better the fast food. Some of the employees there take pride in it for some reason.

On the other hand, I can't eat fast food in big cities. Especially after I got a bad case of the shits after eating at the Burger King across the street from Boston commons. I haven't noticed them being that much more expensive (Though I don't notice that type of shit when I'm ordering fast food) but they're usually a lot dirtier and the food is crappier. And a lot of the patrons (and usually some of the employees) are sketchy as hell, even during the daytime.

I had Carls Jr tonight and lemme tell you what, that Banana 'Nilla shake is the bomb. I never had a chance to try the captain crunch one and now it is gone(at least in stores around here) but tasting the Banana Nilla shake has probably made up for it.

When I lived in North Carolina I would try to go to Hardees once a month... my arteries couldn't handle more then that. But it was easily the best fast food burger joint I've ever been to (Haven't been to any of the good CA ones yet).

I wish we had a place with 24-hour breakfast nearby. McDonald's was rumored to be going that route for a while, but it never came to fruition. I think the closest Sonic is like a 40-minute drive. Fuck that.

Diners are good for that too. Within walking distance of my house is Nations, another California chain. They stay open until 1 am or 3 on the weekends. Nothing quite like sausage and hash browns at three in the morning.

Guest Vitamin X

Yeah I've got a hotcake house less than a mile from my house that's open until 24 hours. They get so busy they have to charge a cover on Fridays and Saturdays.

Yeah I've got a hotcake house less than a mile from my house that's open until 24 hours. They get so busy they have to charge a cover on Fridays and Saturdays.

And the food is cooked by convicts! Can't beat that.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

I don't know if you've ever worked in a kitchen or not, but all food is cooked by convicts, or people that should be.

I didn't take sit-down places into account when I said that up there. In that case, we have IHOP, Cracker Barrel, and Perkins who all serve breakfast for the duration of their business hours.

Yeah, we've got a Hardee's here. It's in sort of a shitty part of town and has awful service, so I rarely go there. The nearest places to my house are a McDonald's and a Krystal. There's a Varsity up the street a bit, and a Checker's on my way home from work. I'm pretty indiscriminate when it comes to hamburgers; I'll eat just about anywhere, although I obviously have my preferences. Hot dogs are another matter altogether. I worked in a sort of "gourmet" hot dog place for a while and can no longer accept anything other than Vienna Beef dogs.

Anyway, the best hamburger in Athens can be found at a place called City Bakery. Fucking awesome, even if it does cost $8. 5 Guys probably comes in second, although I find them to be really overpriced and dislike the fries. The Grill is another place: decent burgers, bottles of PBR, open 24 hours a day, and cute hipster waitresses. Unfortunately, like nearly every other corner of Athens, it's constantly full of hooting, drunken frat boys.

Fuck yeah, Krystal is way better than White Castle. I've only been to the one in the Atlanta airport, but just based on that. Some pretty ghetto employees, too. Because I knew I wasn't going to get a chance to eat there again any time soon, I tried like one of everything.

They opened a Fatburger here and it's pretty good. While I'm sure that Whataburger and In and Out are better, Fatburger is an absolute upgrade over the typical fast food places that we have here.

Guest Vitamin X

I actually think Fatburger is better than those other two places. Try a double king with an egg and bacon on it, you'll love it.

Yeah, Whataburger, they had those in Texas. Nothing special.

Anyone ever been to a Roy Rogers? I remember there being some of those up in Northern Virginia. Pretty good, as I recall.

I don't know if you've ever worked in a kitchen or not, but all food is cooked by convicts, or people that should be.

True. When I worked at an Austrian restaurant, chef there had to have killed someone. There's no way he didn't.

Yeah, Whataburger, they had those in Texas. Nothing special.

Anyone ever been to a Roy Rogers? I remember there being some of those up in Northern Virginia. Pretty good, as I recall.

About 10 minutes away from the only one on Long Island (but it's in Shirley). Yes, they are pretty good, especially the roast beef, chicken and fries.

That town also has McDonalds, BK, Wendy's, Checkers, KFC, Taco Bell/Pizza Hut, Subway, Nathan's/Dunkin Donuts/BR, Boston Market and Blimpie.

Also Five Guys is making the slow march east across LI...they're opening one 30 minutes away in Hauppauge. I had it a few times before when I go into Nassau County. I'm hungering for their "cajun" fries.