TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mike wanna be

George Carlin dead

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080623/people...PwZnn0EQZVxFb8C

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Comedian George Carlin, a counter-culture hero famed for his routines about drugs and dirty words, died of heart failure at a Los Angeles-area hospital on Sunday, a spokesman said. He was 71.

ADVERTISEMENT

Carlin, who had a history of heart problems, died at St. John's Health Center in Santa Monica about 6 p.m. PDT (9 p.m. EDT) after being admitted earlier in the afternoon for chest pains, spokesman Jeff Abraham told Reuters.

Known for his edgy, provocative material, Carlin achieved status as an anti-Establishment icon in the 1970s with stand-up bits full of drug references and a routine about seven dirty words you could not say on television. A regulatory battle over a radio broadcast of his "Filthy Words" routine ultimately reached the U.S. Supreme Court.

Shit. Fuck. The other five, the extra three, and any others not included in the list could not hope to suffice.

I'll say it anyway:

SHITPISSFUCKCUNTCOCKSUCKERMOTHERFUCKERTITSFARTTURDTWAT

There will never be another man like this guy. Godspeed, George. Hope that you're wrong and that you are Up There looking down on us.

My first knowledge of George Carlin was as Rufus in Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure which is one of my favorite movies of my childhood. When I got older I found his stand up and that made me even more of a fan.

This sucks indeed.

The comedy special he did last year, you could tell he was getting close. He just looked.. bad, I guess. Droopy.

fuck, and it was only a few weeks ago a friend and me were like "We gotta go see Carlin live once before he dies." damn :( RIP to one of the members of the Holy Trinity of Comedy...

RIP

I liked his earlier stuff (60s, 70s and 80s) more than his recent fare, but it all was good stuff.

"I can prove to you that rape is funny. Imagine Porky Pig raping Elmer Fudd. See? Why do you think they call him 'Porky'?"

Edited by KingPK

Yeah I had no idea whether to put it here or there when I made the topic.

There'll never be another one. I mean you could sort of feel it with the NYC special of a couple years ago, you really felt it with the special in March, but...wow.

He was supposed to get an award in November, too. The news just came out last week:

George Carlin will be awarded the Mark Twain Prize for American Humor. The John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts said yesterday that Carlin will be honored for his 50-year career as a Grammy-winning stand-up comedian, writer, and actor. He will be the 11th recipient of the award. It will be presented Nov. 10 at a tribute performance televised by PBS.

http://www.boston.com/ae/celebrity/article..._to_be_honored/

I haven't been this bummed about a celebrity passing since Rodney Dangerfield.

I just don't have the words right now.

Not 3 hrs ago I told a friend "You know, I'm about to just start using the following Carlin quote when people ask me if they are keeping me busy: 'no but your wife/girlfriend/mom/sister (whatever is applicable) is keeping me busy.' "

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention, as big a fan as I am of George Carlin, and his stance on religion - he died on a day I was late for church. There's irony there I'm sure.

I love his rant about being a fussy eater haha man this sucks, only just got around to listening to his stand up stuff as well, even though its a few decades old its still some of the funniest stuff I've ever listened to.

My favorite stand-up and a personal hero. Breaks my heart.

A fun story about Carlin: When he was a young guy, he went to see Lenny Bruce perform. The show was busted up, and Bruce was arrested for obscenity. The cops were IDing everyone, and Carlin refused to give his ID so he could be tossed into the paddy wagon with Bruce.

Fuck, I was just thinking about his routine on kids and Angels less than an hour ago.

"Oh geez he's not gonna attack children is he? Yes, he's going to attack children. And remember this is Mr. Conductor talking, I know what I'm talking about."

"Apparently 3/4 of Americans believe in angels.

What are they fucking stupid?!"

Ouch...this one hurt. Easily my favorite comedian all time even if his last couple HBO specials were weak. He's the only comedian I ever went to see a live show of, twice, at the now gone Warwick Musical Theater. :(

"And ZOMBIES?! Where the FUCK are all the zombies?!"

I just know that O&A this morning is going to be all about this. Not only were they all huge fans of Carlin, I think they were also pretty good friends with him, and I know he influenced Norton more than any other comedian.

i just asked a friend last night if there was guacamole in her freezer when she said she found her keys.

This just plain sucks. That's all I can think of. Without a doubt one of the greatest of all time and my favorite.

Everyone gets a different greeting today.

RIP George.