TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
panthermatt7

SPIDER-MAN 4

Movie News: No Stopping 'Spider-Man 4'

Tobey Maguire is hedging, Kirsten Dunst has waffled and director Sam Raimi may want to move on, but Sony Pictures has given "Spider-Man 4" a release date -- sort of. According to the Los Angeles Times, producer Laura Ziskin dished to theater owners from California and Nevada that a fourth installment of the franchise will hit theaters in May 2011.

None of the talent that made the first three movies blockbusters are on board yet and the script isn't finished, but it's no surprise Sony paid Marvel its contractual right to keep the series going. The recent box-office take of "Iron Man" and "The Incredible Hulk" as well as anticipated high returns for "The Dark Knight" show that moviegoers haven't tired of the superhero genre. In addition, the new "Hulk" proved audiences will easily accept a new actor in a leading role if it works. Considering the studio almost ditched Maguire for Jake Gyllenhaal before "Spider-Man 2," the 32-year-old actor better stay in shape if he wants another fat paycheck.

http://movies.msn.com/movies/hitlist/06-24-08_4/?GT1=7701

Guest Vitamin X

I think the big question here is if this board will still be around in time for THIS VERY THREAD to be the one used for when it's released.

Think about it. That's three years away.

if they can't at least get Tobey back, then don't do it, I say. Gyllenhaal aint gonna cut it.

People were skeptical of Tobey before he ever put on the suit, so giving him the nod as "the only actor that can cut it" playing Spider-man is absolutely foolish. Sure he did a good job, but so did Jack playing the Joker, and look at the skepticism that Ledger was met with off the start. Tobey was alright, but if he ain't into it, fuck em, he's replaceable.

if they can't at least get Tobey back, then don't do it, I say. Gyllenhaal aint gonna cut it.

Well if the plan is to do an Avengers movie, and Tobey isn't down for anymore movies, then they need to. To go ahead and establish someone else as the character.

Otherwise it's just gonna be like this potential Justice League movie, where there are just a bunch of WhoTF guys playing the characters. (Although I admit, I'd enjoy Adam Brody as Flash)

Gee guys didn't mean to offend any of you...sheesh. :huh:

Personally, I wasn't skeptical of Tobey, I thought he was perfect for the role and in turn played the part perfectly. Jake Gyllenhaal just doesn't feel right. I can understand the concept of getting someone established should they do the Avengers movie...but who's to say Spider-Man would even be in an Avengers movie? Are they going to get Hugh Jackman and Kelsey Grammar back as well?

I have a hunch Avengers will be Captain America, Thor, Iron Man, Hank Pym, The Wasp and maybe one other new character (Vision perhaps, maybe Hawkeye) with Hulk being a rogue sort of member. I don't see Spider-Man, Wolverine or Beast or any other part-time Avengers being involved...but hell, who's to say, that's 3 or 4 years down the road.

I think the big question here is if this board will still be around in time for THIS VERY THREAD to be the one used for when it's released.

TSM was in a form around 7 years ago (Rantsylvania/Smarks)..I think it'll be around in 3. We gotta do a 10 year TSMX special thing but technically that would be January 31, 2012. The only thing standing in the way of TSM not being around past that is 12/21/12..but anyway.

As for Spidey 4, no need for it regardless of whether they keep the original cast or not.

Fuck that cast. Honestly.

The biggest things wrong with Spiderman 3 was Toby phoning it in, Dunst sucking and Rami not wanting to add venom and the studio making him do it. It was rushed and had too much going on basically, just like I figured it would. If there had been one villan, then it would have been better.

Spiderman 1-2 were fucking awesome and the series can still be awesome.

The funny thing to me is Toby and Dunst pretending they had something resembling a successful career before this movie(aka playing in alot of shit isn't the same as having a succesful career). So they can go back to being accessories in good movies and stars in shitty movies while someone that actually wants the roles can take them.

Too bad they blew their load on Bryce Howard. She would have been a fine replacement for MJ. I don't care who they get for peter. It can be a no name. But this is too good of a franchise to toss to the side because 2 stars seem to think its time to move on.

I meant this mostly as a discussion thread on whether the movie should be made, moreso than when the movie comes out... although, hey, if this thread is still around in May 2011, I'll be impressed. I'll be 28 at that point.

Since the rights to Spidey and the Xmen are owned by Sony I believe, Marvel can't use them in their own studio films without jumping thru hoops. So any ideas about getting a new character in the suit isnt in order to make them established b4 Avengers or Captain America

Well if the plan is to do an Avengers movie, and Tobey isn't down for anymore movies, then they need to. To go ahead and establish someone else as the character.

Otherwise it's just gonna be like this potential Justice League movie, where there are just a bunch of WhoTF guys playing the characters. (Although I admit, I'd enjoy Adam Brody as Flash)

There's not going to be Spiderman in the Avengers movie, nor any of the X-Men. Marvel is doing the Avengers with their own (new) studio and the rights to Spiderman and X-Men movies are owned by Sony and Fox for now. The Avengers are going to be made up of heros for which Marvel did not sell movie rights off to a studio.

So the Avengers will be composed of the 4 guys that are in Marvel Studios movies: Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, and Captain America. Which is good, because when you say 'Avengers' most people think of those 4.

I'd bet that they'll throw Black Widow and maybe Hank Pym in there as well even though they won't have their own movies.

I can't believe you guys aren't more concerned with Marvel Studios nailing down release dates for films when they don't even have a feckin' script in place! Surely that should be the primary thing on the list of "things to do".

Someone mentioned to me the other day that The Hulk may be one of the characters who the "Avengers" are going after...since I guess thats how it is in the Ultimate Marvvel Universe or something. People who know more can correct me if im wrong it's just what I was told.

I don't see how Maguire is so needed that he can dictate demands. Let's face it, the Spidey character wears a mask. That is what will draw people in. For the past 2 movies I've been largely bored with the Peter Parker segments of the films and just wanted Spidey in action.

Someone mentioned to me the other day that The Hulk may be one of the characters who the "Avengers" are going after...since I guess thats how it is in the Ultimate Marvvel Universe or something. People who know more can correct me if im wrong it's just what I was told.

No...well...kind of. In the Ultimates, Banner's part of the team, but he does a few very bad things in Hulk form and ends up needing to be restrained and neutralized by the rest of them. He floats in and out of favor throughout (though that's somewhat true of most of the characters in the Ultimates).

I can't believe you guys aren't more concerned with Marvel Studios nailing down release dates for films when they don't even have a feckin' script in place! Surely that should be the primary thing on the list of "things to do".

It's Sony Studios doing it, not Marvel.

Why should we be concerned? I'm sure Sony is confident the script will be in soon and they can get a movie done in 2.5 years

It's Sony Studios doing it, not Marvel.

Why should we be concerned? I'm sure Sony is confident the script will be in soon and they can get a movie done in 2.5 years

I think he meant how Marvel announced the dates for Iron Man 2, Avengers, CAptain America and Thor- and they don't even have a script (or actors signed) for at least Iron Man 2.

I don't see how Maguire is so needed that he can dictate demands. Let's face it, the Spidey character wears a mask. That is what will draw people in. For the past 2 movies I've been largely bored with the Peter Parker segments of the films and just wanted Spidey in action.

Yeah, but the way the final fight always pans out is that Tobey looses the mask (or it is partially destroyed). That's one of the things that always annoyed me about the Spider-Man movies.

I heard Tobey's open to coming back, he's just playing hard to get right now so he can get more cash when it comes time for the new contracts.

However, Dunst is being a bitch and I wouldn't be surprised if she didn't come back, which is okay because they can use the new films to build-up on Parker's relationship with Gwen Stacy OR they can introduce Felicia Hardy played by Eliza Dushku.

Raimi was going to do the next 3 films, but he might not come back because of Sony / Marvel fucking him over creative wise to produce that clusterfuck of a film with Spider-Man 3 courtesy of the whole Venom fiasco.

As for villains, I really hope to FINALLY get the Lizard on-screen. Also, I'd love to see what Ben Kingsley can bring as The Vulture.

After seeing Spider-man 3 I seriously fear Spider-man 4. I really don't wanna see "Spider-man 4, The Musical".

Raimi was going to do the next 3 films, but he might not come back because of Sony / Marvel fucking him over creative wise to produce that clusterfuck of a film with Spider-Man 3 courtesy of the whole Venom fiasco.

Venom's rush-job was the fault of the studio, but Raimi deserves complete blame for the miserable crap that was Spider-Man 3. He was the director of that scene where Emo Peter walks down the street and dances, right?

Hey, if there's one thing I'll never hate from Spider-Man 3 it's that Peter Parker segment. I watched that movie in a ghetto theater and there was nothing better than seeing a bunch of brothers get up throughout that whole portion of the film and bowing down at the screen like it's Ric Flair. Especially when the one chick is feeding him cookies and I hear one guy behind me yelling out, "WHERE'S DA MILK BITCH??!!" yup... that portion totally brings the movie up to a simple mediocre film.

of all things wrong with Spider-Man 3, Pimpin' Peter Parker was not one of them.

by the way, if I'm feeling up to it, I may watch all 3 movies again this weekend for one specific task: to time how long we see Peter Parker's face. I'm going to include the times we see half his face due to the mask ripping (I won't count "the kiss" scene). I don't think the whole "who cares who it is, he wears a mask most of the time anyway" thing is way off base.