WEDNESDAY

Red Sox (Daisuke Matsuzaka) at Rays (Scott Kazmir), 7:00/4:00 PM, ESPN

SATURDAY

Red Sox at Yankees, 3:55/12:55 PM, FOX

Cubs at Cardinals, 3:55/12:55 PM, FOX

SUNDAY

Cubs at Cardinals, 3:00 PM/Noon, TBS

Red Sox at Yankees, 8:00/5:00 PM, ESPN

All-Star rosters will be announced after the TBS game on Sunday.

What's so bad about interleague? It's just..different matchups.

The Cubs played some of their worst baseball of the year during that stretch and I was subjected to three games worth of idiotic White Sox fans.

Three in a week. That's bordering on asinine.

To be fair, Sox/Rays is a good game to show, and you know they are going to show the biggest rivalry in Yanks/Sawx.

Amazingly the Marlins are only 1 game back of the Phils after 81 games. Josh Willingham, Josh Johnson and Anibal Sanchez are all coming back after very long injuries. 50 games for Willingham and over a year each for Johnson and Sanchez. If one of those two pitchers regain their form then it's going to be a very tight race, I think.

This is very exciting because I wrote the team off preseason and wasn't expecting this at all.

The folks over at Baseball Think Factory were discussing just how dick a move that is considering the guy can't reasonably fight back. Pushing another player is one thing, but doing it to do a guy who's going to be thrown out on his ear if he lays a finger on Ramirez is another.

The folks over at Baseball Think Factory were discussing just how dick a move that is considering the guy can't reasonably fight back. Pushing another player is one thing, but doing it to do a guy who's going to be thrown out on his ear if he lays a finger on Ramirez is another.

That's what bothered me most about the situation. It's not like he shoved a guy who is going to fight back, even if he's able to. The city of Boston would have a fit if their star player got hurt by anyone, regardless of how at fault Manny was. The incident reeks of hypocrisy on Manny's part, too, since he and Youkillis went at it less than a month ago after Manny took issue with Youkillis' pissy antics after bad at bats.

Elsewhere, I would greatly appreciate the Mets resembling a good team for at least the next three days. They may resume being an expensive disaster Thursday if they so desire.

I wouldn't count on it considering that they barely resemble a baseball team at the moment.

On Wednesday the A's will officially sign "the top Dominican Republic pitching prospect of the last decade" Michael Inoa to a $4.25 million signing bonus, the largest ever for an international, non-Cuban amateur player. The A's some how managed to outbid the Yankees for his services. He's 6-foot-7 and has a fastball in the mid-90s...and he's only 16 years old. And people complain about high school basketball players trying to make millions?

The Yanks supposedly had an offer of $2.75 million, and the Reds supposedly had a $3 million offer. Word now is that the Reds will be signing Yorman Rodriguez, the number two international prospect, tomorrow.

Nice walk-off home run for Griffey tonight to kick off the homestand against the Pirates!

Some bitter tea for a certain Cubs fan:

The Brooklyn-based brother-and-sister rock act known as the Fiery Furnaces is known for multi-layered, highly conceptualized, deeply personal and complex music and whirlwind live shows that border on insanity.

...Matthew and Eleanor Friedberger grew up outside of Chicago and have pleasant memories of their early days as die-hard White Sox fans. Matthew even credits a White Sox employee for musical inspiration, believe it or not.

Matthew also mentioned that he cried when the South Siders finally won a World Series in 2005, and he has no love for the Cubs.

“I grew up with a lot of Cubs fans,” Matthew said. “I don’t really want to wish them bad, but I hate the Cubs. They get what they deserve, in my opinion, and they deserve to lose.”

Maybe this should go in the ESPN thread, but I just saw on 1st & 10, one of the guys arguing that the Rays winning and being in first place "is not good for baseball." He admitted that baseball thrives more when the Red Sox, Yankees, Angels, etc. do well. Talk about being blatant.

Maybe this should go in the ESPN thread, but I just saw on 1st & 10, one of the guys arguing that the Rays winning and being in first place "is not good for baseball." He admitted that baseball thrives more when the Red Sox, Yankees, Angels, etc. do well. Talk about being blatant.

He was talking about baseball's bottom line, which is true. A Rays vs anyone but maybe the Cubs WS would not draw much interest nationally. I think people only love an underdog when the underdog is a collegiate team or from a big city who wasn't expected to be there. If everyone in Tampa watched the games it still wouldn't do much ratings wise.

Then THAT is baseball's problem. The NFL can put ANYONE in the Super Bowl and it is well established they will draw big ratings every damn year. If MLB needs a certain city team to be in to draw big ratings for their big set of final games, they have not done a good job making every team in their league seem important.

What the hell are they going to do if Boston, Chicago, and New York all go back into their "not involved in any major races" funk?

Further to that, who gives a shit about "what's best for baseball" or any other TV ratings garbage. Give me two good teams in a competitive World Series and I could give a shit if all of the new "die hard" Red Sox fans from central Mississippi (for instance) watch a single inning.

Then THAT is baseball's problem. The NFL can put ANYONE in the Super Bowl and it is well established they will draw big ratings every damn year. If MLB needs a certain city team to be in to draw big ratings for their big set of final games, they have not done a good job making every team in their league seem important.

What the hell are they going to do if Boston, Chicago, and New York all go back into their "not involved in any major races" funk?

The problem is that MLB doesn't even try to establish the "little guys". The only times you'll see the Rays or teams of that stature is if they're playing a NY, Chicago, Boston or LA based team. The same applies with the teams that play on the West Coast in that you'll only get those teams if there's a national doubleheader taking place and ESPN decides to air a 10 PM EST start or Fox has a 4 PM Saturday game.

The NFL plays by the same rules, especially with the flex schedule thing they recently adopted. They also have the inherent advantage of being the only major US sport that goes by a one and done postseason. If the baseball, basketball or hockey playoffs were single elimination the ratings would be almost surely be higher, but they could never get away with that.

Guest !!!

The National League is far more balanced in terms of drawing power. The Cubs, Mets, Braves, Phillies, Dodgers, Cardinals, Giants, and Reds all have a pretty big cachet among fans. In the AL, it's the Red Sox, the Yankees, and everybody else. The A's used to be a big deal but have mutated into a curiosity. They're really trying to push the Angels as a marquee team, but I'm not buying. Most casual observers can rattle off more of the roster from Major League than members of the existing Cleveland Indians. The Rangers only ensure that there's an even number of teams in the league. It didn't have to be this way. Blame the marketing arm located between Boston and New York.

No surprises on the Friedberger front, by the way: there's a song on Blueberry Boat about the '17 Series. NGL, when I first read the lyrics, I felt the way people feel when they find out someone is a Scientologist.

Actually, the Tampa area is the 13th largest media market in the US. So, while not on par with NY/LA/Chicago, it's not the little burg some would make it out to be.

And I agree with those who don't care about the ratings. TV ratings for baseball keep declining year after year, yet baesball is still awash in cash, so I doubt it matters a whole lot, as they continue to expand into foreign markets, more merchandising, attendance continues to rise, etc.

Before the end of last night's Reds/Pirates game, they showed a stat on Cincy's record against winning and losing teams. On teams .500 or better, they were like .573 or something. Against teams under .500? They were 11-21 or somewhere in that ballpark. Wow.

After interleague play, where the AL demolished the NL as a whole, the AL has 10 teams over .500. The NL has 6 teams over .500. The Orioles are two games under and there are 3 teams in the NL that are 3 games or less under.

Okay, time to gripe about a call involving my favorite baseball team. Doumit from the Bucs ran through a stop sign at third and tried to make it back. The relay wasn't at the bag. Doumit dives from foul territory as Encarnacion dives to tag him. He tags him on the hip, and then the leg. Doumit did not reach the bag and was called safe. He then reached over with his other hand and tagged the base and was called safe a second time. Encarnacion jumped up and was immediately tossed from the game. This reminded me of The Naked Gun.

Before the end of last night's Reds/Pirates game, they showed a stat on Cincy's record against winning and losing teams. On teams .500 or better, they were like .573 or something. Against teams under .500? They were 11-21 or somewhere in that ballpark. Wow.

After interleague play, where the AL demolished the NL as a whole, the AL has 10 teams over .500. The NL has 6 teams over .500. The Orioles are two games under and there are 3 teams in the NL that are 3 games or less under.

They're 42-40..two games over. Through 82 games last year they were 36-46, and they didnt get their 42nd win last year until 7/17/07