TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

This Week in Baseball 6/30 - 7/6

All-Star Game Starters courtesy of The New York Post; they'll be officially announced Sunday:

AL:

C Mauer

1B Youkilis

2B Pedroia

3B A-Rod

SS Jeter

OF Manny, Josh Hamilton, Ichiro

DH David Ortiz (to be replaced by Milton Bradley due to injury)

SP Cliff Lee

NL:

C Soto

1B Lance "Big Puma" Berkman

2B Chase Utley

3B Chipper Jones

SS HanRam

OF Soriano, Jnr. Griffey, Fukudome

SP Brandon Webb

Brandon Phillips is better than Chase Utley, at least should've placed 2nd in voting.

Stupid fans.

Brandon Phillips is better than Chase Utley

Is there a punchline to this joke?

Speaking of jokes, the Giants are now as close to first place as the Red Sox are and closer to first place than the A's.

Brandon Phillips is better than Chase Utley

Is there a punchline to this joke?

Okay, admitted bias there, but he's damn sure better than Kaz Matsui or Rickie Weeks.

I figured as much, just giving you a hard time.

Oh and I wouldn't quite believe the New York Post report as they include starting pitchers but they are determined by the manager and not by the player vote. It seems like they are just making an educated guess at the results.

I'm a reds fan, but come on Chase Utley is a stud and deserves the all star deal. But, the one thing Phillips really deserves is the gold glove. Hasn't made an error in 76 games, makes great plays and has unbelievable range. I'm sure the GG will go to Utley or Hudson though.

Then again Gold Gloves are meaningless now and don't show who is the best defender at any given position due to stupidity.

I know Utley's #1 GM, like I said blinded by bias. But you must agree that Phillips deserves a spot on that All Star roster.

I know Utley's #1 GM, like I said blinded by bias. But you must agree that Phillips deserves a spot on that All Star roster.

For backup I'd say it's between him and Dan Uggla, Uggla is a better offensive player. Phillips is a better defender (much, much better), base stealer and is an intelligent player in how he plays the game. But, Uggla has those HR's, and that is what fans, and prob. the manager goes by. I say Uggla makes it over Phillips.

Guest Vitamin X

That AL Roster is awful. It's just half the Yankees and half the Red Sox, with a couple other dudes thrown in for good measure.

We'll see if Cliff Lee makes it, or if they throw in Jon Lester instead or some shit to piss more people off outside New England/New York.

I've grown indifferent to the selection process. If a guy is legitimately the best player in the league at his position, and has proven that, then he deserves to play in the game. Otherwise it's circumstance. The rosters are terribly bloated, we've now gone to the point where we are debating the 28-32nd best players in the league.

They really need to either remove the fan vote part, reduce the weight of the fan vote, or remove the internet from the vote. It's getting stupid.

Guest !!!

Re: the Braun/Fukudome "race"

I don't care if the report is wrong and Braun ultimately passes Fukudome. Either one of them gives the National League a good chance to win. The ideal outcome is to DH Braun and put Kosuke in the field, thus getting Kosuke's superior fielding and decent slap-hitting, while keeping the Kosher Butcher out of the outfield. Or an even better outcome, Clint Hurdle telling Ken Griffey Jr., in spite of some sort of fan mandate, to sit his old ass down and quit clogging up the outfield voting every damn year. I'll be happy either way, but what I'm not happy with is that I can't watch Brewers games without this man-voiced blonde girl screeching at me to VOTE RYAN BRAUN IN TO STOP THE HATED CUBS! Stop the Cubs from what? From having a player be elected to the All-Star Game? Inasmuch as Kosuke Fukudome is garnering votes because he's having a very good season, to what end does that ultimately need to be "stopped"? Berkman or Pujols is manning first base, and not only do I have no qualms about this, I find this outcome preferable to putting in Derrek Lee, who is hitting well enough but on pace to hit more double plays than anyone in the history of the goddamned sport. The All-Star Game doesn't interest me at all, and I gain no validation from seeing my Favorite Teamers on the roster, and I don't think many smart fans do. Do the Brewers really want to be White Sox North w/r/t marketing, where they expend more energy presenting themselves as Not Somebody Else than themselves? Is that what resonates with fans? Retarded.

Yankees/Red Sox tonight on ESPN, damn, I was just thinking those two teams never get on ESPN.

Good news is tomorrow Red Sox/Twins are the Monday Night Game on ESPN.

I know about ratings, but even the Cowboys on Fox wasn't this bad. I would argue it hurts the game more than the bump in ratings helps, as national exposure to some other good teams may help build a fanbase, and it may help ratings for the playoffs and world series if the yankees or sox don't make it. I have no problem with a lot of sox and yankees games on Fox and ESPN but it's to the point of absurdity. I really hope in the next television deal that MLB puts in some kind of stip where you can't just show sox and yankees every time.

And I'm not saying show games like The Nats/Reds or something, but there are other good exciting teams playing.

I really hope in the next television deal that MLB puts in some kind of stip where you can't just show sox and yankees every time.

Actually there are limits to how many times each network can show a particular team.

-FOX can select the same team 9 times.

-TBS can select the same team 13 times.

-ESPN can select the same team 5 times on Sunday Night Baseball.

I'm sure we all know that I am a huge Reds fan. However, I must say that only Edison Volquez deserves an all-star roster spot at this point. Griffey is not having anywhere near an all-star season, and Brandon Phillips (as good as he is) falls short to Chase Utley and Dan Uggla. Utley has been tremendous most of the year, and Uggla has been super-hot lately. Phillips struggled for a stretch this year, and is a tremendous player all-around. He just falls short the first half of this year. I do think he will get the Gold Glove this year over Orlando Hudson, who I felt should have come in second to Phillips last year.

Joey Votto has been solid in his rookie season, but you have Berkman and Pujols at first. Even with a DH, there are people out there with better stats than Votto. Jared Burton might deserve a look, but typically you are looking at starters and closers in the all-star game.

Edit---As I typed that out, Volquez gave up two (nay, 3) runs to the Nationals. He has had an excellent season, but it seems like he is giving up more walks, hits and runs in his outings lately. Hopefully he is not hitting the wall.

Rookie Collin Balester is looking pretty good for the Nats. He has thrown 35 pitches through 3 innings of perfect baseball. This is his second start, and he threw 4 no-hit innings last time before giving up one hit and one run in five innings. He threw 95 pitches in five innings that game, so he is looking a lot better in this one.

I really hope in the next television deal that MLB puts in some kind of stip where you can't just show sox and yankees every time.

Actually there are limits to how many times each network can show a particular team.

So that's 27 Yankees and/or Red Sox games every season, not including weekday ESPN games.

Which means every sixth Yankee game can be national.

I might have seen the Devil Rays once this season, and they have a better record than the Yankees and Red Sox.

Yet I've seen at least three Red Sox games every week for most of the season.

You'd think nothing west of New York City existed.

So that's 27 Yankees and/or Red Sox games every season, not including weekday ESPN games.

Which means every sixth Yankee game can be national.

I might have seen the Devil Rays once this season, and they have a better record than the Yankees and Red Sox.

Yet I've seen at least three Red Sox games every week for most of the season.

You'd think nothing west of New York City existed.

I'd guess including weekday games the sox and yanks are on at least 3 times every week. I'm just so fucking sick of seeing them, I'm defin. not watching the Sunday game tonight or tomorrows game because I'm just so fucking sick of the sox and yanks.

N.L. Pitchers

Aaron Cook

Tim Lincecum

Dan Haren

Ben Sheets

Carlos Zambrano

Brandon Webb

Ryan Dempster

Brian Wilson

Edinson Volquez

Kerry Wood

Brad Lidge

Billy Wagner

N.L. Reserves

Brian McCann

Aramis Ramirez

Matt Holliday

Dan Uggla

Miguel Tejada

Russell Martin

Nate McLouth

Albert Pujols

Ryan Ludwick

Adrian Gonzalez

Cristian Guzman

A.L. Pitchers

Scott Kazmir

George Sherrill

Roy Halladay

Mariano Rivera

Jonathan Papelbon

Justin Duchscherer

Joe Nathan

Joakim Soria

Cliff Lee

Francisco Rodriguez

Ervin Santana

Joe Saunders

A.L. Reserves

J.D. Drew

Jason Varitek

Joe Crede

Carlos Quentin

Grady Sizemore

Carlos Guillen

Justin Morneau

Milton Bradley

Ian Kinsler

Michael Young

Dioner Navarro

Yes, Jason Varitek was actually voted by the players as the back up catcher. Just a hunch Francona added Navarro to the team so Varitek won't have to play.