TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  

ECW on Sci-Fi (7/1/2008)

I meant I wasn't disappointed that everyone was killing him

I actually laughed when he was in that vignette knowing the board was going to go off.

Reminded me of everyone going off on Orton and Cena in summer of 02

I checked on Wikipedia and found Atlas' name is actually Richard Young....why the change of name to Ortiz? I mean at least Atlas Dabone is a bizarre and memorable name. Believe me, having seen him in OVW for a long time I can tell you that the dude sucks something fierce. That scary thing though is that OVW at least knew how to book him. He would come out, have a short match (less than 5 mins.), get in his crappy 1980s offense, hit a lame Warrior-esque splash, and that was it. For the love of god don't put him in a nearly 10 minute long match where he has to sell for his opponent, especially in his debut. I mean why not just send him out there and let him crush Armando?

The sad thing is Atlas only got a call up because he got shockingly over with the OVW crowd a while back. As in the most over guy on the roster. So while fans in my area prevented the world from the suck that would have been Daniel Rodimer, OVW fans unleashed Atlas Ortiz on an unsuspecting world.

For some reason, I was half expecting a lot of the people here to be calling Atlas Ortiz the next big thing. I'm glad it wasn't just me that thought his debut match sucked.

I don't think he "sucked", per se. They only blew one little spot, and who knows whose fault that was. The thing that struck me is that he wrestled literally like a rookie straight out of a southern indy training school who'd only had a dozen matches. Just look at his entire offense: chain wrestling, armdrags, backdrop, dropkick, and a rollup for the finish. Working the Southern outlaw indy circuit, I saw about nine thousand matches which looked exactly like that. Although he didn't physically look like an OVW trainee (for one thing he looked like he could actually pass a wellness test without cheating), he sure as hell wrestled like one, and like one who just recently graduated from the Intermediate class at that.

I do think he had decent charisma, though. Not like the second coming of the Rock or anything, but certainly more than your Lance Cades of the world.

The disturbing thing about Atlas is that there are a variety of talented guys dicking around in devlopmental right now (Cabana, Killings, Harris, even guys like Lewington). Of all the guys to call up, they call him up? The one thing I will say in his defense is that in an OVW of cookie cutter guys he did at least stand out and was memorable.

I am mixed on the guy so far. He has a good name. I think a name like Atlas is easy to chant and will get over fairly well. His look isn't bad. The match was terrible, but it was just his first and we probably shouldn't judge too quickly. I mean it was his first national tv appearance after all. I will reserve judgment for a few more weeks.

As for the name, goofy thought I had:

Maybe WWE named him that so, when someone looks up Tito or Frank Ortiz, they find their boy, and in theory get people to get interested in their product.

...*Hides my conspiracy theory books*

I still believe they're trying to get Adamle to quit. They made it into an angle to cover their tracks so Adamle couldn't turn around and sue for harsh working conditions or anything like that.

Fitting that Adamle is the commentator on a brand with a world champion that WWE gave the same treatment to.

I still believe they're trying to get Adamle to quit. They made it into an angle to cover their tracks so Adamle couldn't turn around and sue for harsh working conditions or anything like that.

Now why would they be trying to make him quit, when really they could do as they please with him and move him to a different area/release him, if they were so dead intent on getting rid of him.

If you ask me, they're just throwing shit at the guy to in the long run make him a better commentator. Get him better acquainted to these situations. He's come fairly far (maybe an overstatement) from the guy who mistakenly said 'Jeff Harvey' in the only 2 lines of the night he had to say. It's much better for him to go through the rough patches now, on a show that nobody really gives a damn about, then just completely suck for the rest of his career.

Which I'm aware some people will probably think he sucks his whole career regardless, but I'd dare say, if he's still doing this in 2 years, he'll be a lot better. (obviously)

The goofy and occasionally botched commentary of Adamle (along with Tazz's ripping on him) and Colin Delaney where the only thing I found entertaining tonight. Hopfully the new talent intiantive will bring in some talanted workers from development.

A lot of wrestling fans like to hold grudges against people and rarely change their opinions. And for some odd reason, at least in my observations, people are especially passionate when it comes to commentators. Michael Cole has received the same undeserved (IMO) heat for being a decent play-by-play announcer who is FAR better than he was when he started. Adamle is no Cole and especially no J.R., but he IS getting a little better. Give it time.

Now why would they be trying to make him quit, when really they could do as they please with him and move him to a different area/release him, if they were so dead intent on getting rid of him.

If you ask me, they're just throwing shit at the guy to in the long run make him a better commentator. Get him better acquainted to these situations. He's come fairly far (maybe an overstatement) from the guy who mistakenly said 'Jeff Harvey' in the only 2 lines of the night he had to say. It's much better for him to go through the rough patches now, on a show that nobody really gives a damn about, then just completely suck for the rest of his career.

Which I'm aware some people will probably think he sucks his whole career regardless, but I'd dare say, if he's still doing this in 2 years, he'll be a lot better. (obviously)

Adamle wasn't a cheap hire. Unlike Coach, they can't stick Adamle as a personality or a performer to cover the inability to call a match. If they can spend all the time they did with Cole in hopes he would get better, they can easily do the same with Adamle. It's a matter of how much Adamle wants to put forth that effort. Luckily, Adamle doesn't seem like he would stick with it, even if the pay is good. He could easily find work in some capacity.

I don't think he "sucked", per se. They only blew one little spot, and who knows whose fault that was. The thing that struck me is that he wrestled literally like a rookie straight out of a southern indy training school who'd only had a dozen matches. Just look at his entire offense: chain wrestling, armdrags, backdrop, dropkick, and a rollup for the finish. Working the Southern outlaw indy circuit, I saw about nine thousand matches which looked exactly like that. Although he didn't physically look like an OVW trainee (for one thing he looked like he could actually pass a wellness test without cheating), he sure as hell wrestled like one, and like one who just recently graduated from the Intermediate class at that.

I do think he had decent charisma, though. Not like the second coming of the Rock or anything, but certainly more than your Lance Cades of the world.

He's been in training far too long to be using the Intermediate class moveset.

Am I the only one who thinks Adamle has a certain charisma about him and could definately pull off a GM role? Maybe have him be the incompetent GM who knows nothing about the business and all the heels are subsequently vying to manipulate him to gain power.

Okay, maybe thats too wishful.

Am I the only one who thinks Adamle has a certain charisma about him and could definately pull off a GM role? Maybe have him be the incompetent GM who knows nothing about the business and all the heels are subsequently vying to manipulate him to gain power.

Okay, maybe thats too wishful.

That....would actually be a really good role for him, now that I think about it. He's got the happy-go-lucky "I really want to be good at this" attitude and the believable-through-truth naivete to pull it off.

so when Atlas makes his heel turn and becomes some overrated midcard comic relief... will everyone be tossing his salad then?

If he's as funny as Santino? Sure.

Sorry to bring back a topic from the first page, but why should Carlitto be afraid of Atlas? Some backstage heat or what?

Well I assumed that choosing the name Ortiz meant the wrestler was Latin American, or at least of that descent. So if you take a Spanish-speaking wrestler with big puffy hair one might consider that gimmick infringement or auditioning for your replacement given Carly's heat with the power brokers.