TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

WarGames

WWE.com hasn't even announced the PYBO winner (edit: Well I guess they did, but they didn't before the Wednesdya update). It's usually in week 3 anyway. (Edit again: I see WWE.com's weekly schedule claims it IS a week 1 update. Odd).

I've heard some systems pulled Wargames '95 due to legal reasons. My working assumption is that there's a version with Michael Buffer's intros, but that is just a guess. The PYBO is not up yet.

Seen all the War Games on 24/7. The first War Games has a major disadvantage since they didn't have a camera in the ring but it still turned out pretty good. The 89 War Games had a camera inside although the camera work wasn't great. Still though, it was entertaining. I agree that the match needed some blood although I suspect with AIDS and everything, they didn't want anyone blading. I know they told Dusty in 88 to stop doing blading on TV and that led to the infamous spike in the eye angle that eventually got him fired. Just watched War Games 92 and that was outstanding. Violent, bloody, and featuring a bunch of great wrestlers busting their asses off. That was the high point of War Games. War Games 93 was pretty dull. War Games 95 was entertaining, even though it features a dream team featuring a bunch of mid-card wrestlers. Hey, at least you get to see a young and agile Big Show at the end. Not to mention John Tenta attempting to jump both ropes in the ring.

I noticed they don't have the first War Games match in 87 coming up. That's too bad although in all fairness, the first match was almost identical to the second one.

The funniest thing about War Games though is the coin flip. One thing you know is that the good guys will NEVER win the coin flip. The heels always have the 2-on-1 advantage. So they shouldn't even bother with the flip.

I loved Meng's entrance in WG95, especially Luger's selling.

*chop*

OWWWWWWWW *bump, gets up*

*chop*

OWWWWWWWWWWWWW *bump, gets up*

*chop*

OWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW *bump*

I don't have 24/7 so it's pretty much off memory but it was a hoot.

I noticed they don't have the first War Games match in 87 coming up. That's too bad although in all fairness, the first match was almost identical to the second one.

The first War Games match from the GAB 87 is up right now.

There were two Wargames matches on that tour.

The funniest thing about War Games though is the coin flip. One thing you know is that the good guys will NEVER win the coin flip. The heels always have the 2-on-1 advantage. So they shouldn't even bother with the flip.

One thing they could have done if the faces ever won the toss was, when there is only 1 face left on the outside and there are 2 heels waiting to go in, have the 2 heels attack the one face on the outside so that he isn't any help when it's time for him to go in

Ah, I see. Well, no big deal if the matches were almost carbon copies, eh?

Ah, I see. Well, no big deal if the matches were almost carbon copies, eh?

Yeah. I'm a bit partial to the original as the Road Warriors f*** up J.J. Dillon for the win, but the second is good as well.

The whole notion of the heels winning the coin toss is such a staple of Wargames that I was in utter shock the one time I saw the faces win the toss (TNA did this earlier in the year). Usually the heels winning has to happen so that the faces have to overcome the odds of being a man down most of the match. If the faces had the advantage, it puts a bizarre sort of sympathy on the heels. Still, I think the faces should have won the coin toss about 1/4 of the time just to keep it from looking too obvious.

Though 1991 isn't up yet I think it and 1992 are the best Wargames. 1992 is certainly the best, just 25m or so of unmitigated hatred, violence, and blood.

The whole notion of the heels winning the coin toss is such a staple of Wargames that I was in utter shock the one time I saw the faces win the toss (TNA did this earlier in the year). Usually the heels winning has to happen so that the faces have to overcome the odds of being a man down most of the match. If the faces had the advantage, it puts a bizarre sort of sympathy on the heels. Still, I think the faces should have won the coin toss about 1/4 of the time just to keep it from looking too obvious.

Though 1991 isn't up yet I think it and 1992 are the best Wargames. 1992 is certainly the best, just 25m or so of unmitigated hatred, violence, and blood.

Definitely. 91 and 92 was the highpoint of War Games. It was a slow decline from there. Although War Games 96 is cool because that was early NWO vs WCW.

The first War Games match is on youtube. Yeah, the Warriors do put a hurting on JJ.

The heels having the advantage also allows the face team to send in their last man at the end, usually to a very big reaction since he's fresh and comes in cleaning house.

I went back and watched 1992 again the other day...

Damn... that was just non-stop, hard hitting action. Not a dead spot in the match, and the crowd was jacked pretty much throughout the entire thing.

One thing they could have done if the faces ever won the toss was, when there is only 1 face left on the outside and there are 2 heels waiting to go in, have the 2 heels attack the one face on the outside so that he isn't any help when it's time for him to go in

The next Shorties update will confirm, but I'm pretty sure in 1996 they just said "oh by the way nWo won backstage".

The downfall of Wargames was that Bischoff wanted to go in a more family friendly direction circa 1993-94. Why exactly they did Wargames at all during this time period I don't know, since it would be handicapped from the start due to the no blading rules. The 1996 version was at least pretty good from a storyline perspective with the whole "Whose side is Sting on?" bit.

It's a shame because it was such a great event. But you can definitely see the decline...

War Games 93 was lifeless and featured a comic wrestler winning the match. Dustin Rhodes was the only guy who really captured the spirit of the match. War Games 94 focused on a mid-card feud between an old Dusty Rhodes and Rob Parker's stable. 95 featured a team of all-stars against a team of mid-card wrestlers. As stated, at least 96 had a good storyline to follow and the heels were victorious. Never saw 97 and I don't think the WWE will allow us to see it. ;)

It's a shame because it was such a great event. But you can definitely see the decline...

War Games 93 was lifeless and featured a comic wrestler winning the match. Dustin Rhodes was the only guy who really captured the spirit of the match. War Games 94 focused on a mid-card feud between an old Dusty Rhodes and Rob Parker's stable. 95 featured a team of all-stars against a team of mid-card wrestlers. As stated, at least 96 had a good storyline to follow and the heels were victorious. Never saw 97 and I don't think the WWE will allow us to see it. ;)

I understand the ending to '97 now, but no ending of a match has ever made me madder than that one.

Yeah we won't ever see the 97 Wargames because seeing Benoit in an 8 or 10 man match will make us all evil psychos or something.

I do want to see that 1994 Wargames when it comes on though. I actually have quite enjoyed that Dustin vs. Stud Stable feud from seeing various shows from 1994 on 24/7. The problem is that the match was booked during that era when Hogan had just entered the company and they were toning down the vicious brutality that could have put that feud over gangbusters. You have the Rhodes family and the Nasty Boys going against Memphis vets like Fuller, Golden, etc. and there's no blood and violence? Bah. Even if WCW had booked the match in early 94 it would have been vicious at least, like the various Cactus/Whoever vs. Nastys matches.

That 1994 one should be decent at least. Dusty, Dustin, Arn Anderson, Terry Funk, Terry Golden, Rob Fuller, the Nasty Boys. Every one of those guys is either a good worker, or well suited for that type of match.

Well, don't get too excited about Robert Fuller being in there. Fuller was fully playing his "Col. Parker" character during the match and wasn't half as good as JJ in doing it. I remember the storyline being they wanted Meng (who had just beaten up Dusty Rhodes) as the fourth man but Parker was forced to compete.

I agree about the roster in that one though...it is bruising.

Terry Golden is Bunkhouse Buck, right?

Yeah Golden is Bunkhouse Buck. If you've seen the AWA shows on ESPN Classic of late the Stud Stable has been on there a few times in the Memphis shows. Golden looked much different back then, just typical blue trunks and what not instead of the bearded redneck look.

I remember the storyline being they wanted Meng (who had just beaten up Dusty Rhodes) as the fourth man but Parker was forced to compete.

And I remember that, in typical WCW fashion, they fucked up by airing at least one Fall Brawl Control Center segment where they announced that Parker was wrestling before they aired the angle where Nick Bockwinkel informed Parker that he had to participate.

I remember that, but I couldn't even tell you what I had for breakfast yesterday.

Drugs.

On the Ric Flair DVD, they have his 1994 match with Steamboat. Steamboat comes out and there's no ring introduction. His ring music (which may or may not have been replaced) is just played louder. Then we get Flair coming down the issue to no annoucement. Buffer's still standing in the middle of the ring but a moment later, we cut to Buffer leaving the ring as Flair and Steamboat take off their gear.

I heard Steamboat's music recently on something (I think the most recent Austin DVD). I was happy because I'm pretty sure the Austin DVD with Steamboat/Austin from Bash at the Beach 94 cut the intro to remove it.

Looking back I think I actually heard it on 24/7 during GAB 92, and the channel has different music rights than DVD.

I guess the point here is they edited Buffer.