TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

WarGames

I don't see how anyone can call WarGames overrated, when not booked by retards, it's fantastic.

WarGames 94 is awesome, really an underrated match if anything. Yes, the lack of blood sucks, but you have 8 guys in there who know how to fight.

WarGames 96 tells a great story. AA and Flair beating the shit out of Hogan is awesome and I love the Sting stuff.

1998 is terrible, it has no redeeming qualities.

2000 isn't even a WarGames, it's just a trainwreck. The Cat's run-in is gold

I just watched the 1998 and 2000 versions tonight. Oh, where to start?

Both matches epitomize everything I hated about WCW once the nWo angle ran its originally useful course. Logic and any semblance of structure were tossed aside to make way for swerves. I liked my share of swerves when I still regularly watched wrestling. But it got to the point in WCW where few of them made any sense. Nothing could ever just be as it seemed and it made for non-compelling, redundant television.

The rules of the '98 War Games defeat the entire concept of the match and make the choice not to just have everyone out there from the start puzzling. I've come to realize that Bret Hart was, for the most part, incredibly boring in the ring while working for the company. Everything falls apart with Hogan's early appearance. I honestly didn't know what was going on with the Warrior's whole ordeal. And why is security trying to separate two guys who are competing in the same match at that very moment?

The 2000 War Games is awful for all the reasons everyone's noted here. I questioned why Booker didn't just climb down the outside of the cage when he had the belt like Al did, so this is something that was probably clear to most people who didn't have booking powers in WCW at the time. The inclusion of the array of guys who aren't part of the match adds more excess to a crowded premise. And why the hell are there handcuffs all over the damn place? It seemed like every time I paid attention to someone else, they had been handcuffed to the cage.

God, I hate WCW. There may have been some enjoyable stuff peppered throughout the general drivel that was this company's product in the late '90s and early millennium, but I absolutely refuse to wade through so much trash to find a couple gems.

The 1991 incarnation, on the other hand, is almost as great as the next year's.

I thought Warrior kicking his way out of the cage to get to Hogan was pretty cool. Other than that, it was horrible. The 3-way thing wasn't a horrible idea, but the "every man for himself" rule was terrible. Why did they need to add a "winner gets a shot at Goldberg" stipulation? Just have DDP win the match for his team, then the next night on Nitro say "DDP won WarGames for WCW, so he gets a title shot at Halloween Havoc." And why were there pinfalls? DDP couldn't win with anything other than a Diamond Cutter?

And Stevie Ray? Man, what are the odds, you have 8 main eventers and a midcarder and the midcarder does the job. And doesn't DDP look like a star for beating Stevie Ray? You could have had him pin the Hitman. I'm sure he would have been willing to do the job. And I'm sure WCW would have been willing to job him! Holy crap, was that crowd dead when DDP won. You'd think as popular as he was, he would have received a pop for winning. But nobody cared.

And why didn't Goldberg wrestle on the pay-per-view? The Giant didn't have a match on the show, you could have put that match on there. Of course, the match might not have been much of a draw since Goldberg pinned Giant at Road Wild in a BATTLE ROYAL, then I think he pinned him on Nitro a couple of weeks later. But if they had saved it for PPV, I think it would have drawn a nice buyrate. Same deal for World War 3 that year. Goldberg didn't wrestle, and there wasn't any other big match on the show to sell it. The 60-man battle royal never drew, Hall-Nash was advertised and then didn't happen, and the main event was a U.S. title match! OH WCW

Nash sure worked his ass off in the 98 match, what with his "coming into the ring then laying on the mat until the end of the match" routine. Then he got to stand next to the door for the whole match - and win the belt! - in 2000. He really is a smart man.

Regarding the 2000 Wargames, I am assuming that it was illegal to simply waltz down the side of the cage. As in if Booker had simply done that the match wouldn't have ended and he would have been forced to go back up and climb down through the ring. I think that was the stip, that you had to go out that one particular way.

Regarding the 2000 Wargames, I am assuming that it was illegal to simply waltz down the side of the cage. As in if Booker had simply done that the match wouldn't have ended and he would have been forced to go back up and climb down through the ring. I think that was the stip, that you had to go out that one particular way.

Yeah, if I remember correctly, that was one of the stipulations that was emphasized before the match. You had to exit the cage through the door with the belt.