TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CanadianChris

Could you pass the US citizenship test?

A question to all the non-Americans on here. When someone immigrates to your country, do they have to take any tests like this? Just wondering if we're the only Super-Patriots in this regard.

I just looked it up, and apparently we do.

I just looked it up, and apparently we do.

yet ironically in American high school they tend to teach nothing about Canadian history past the French-Indian war

A question to all the non-Americans on here. When someone immigrates to your country, do they have to take any tests like this? Just wondering if we're the only Super-Patriots in this regard.

Australia started having a test like this last year.

As someone who took Canadian history, there's a reason for that

When hockey becomes a focal point of history, you know nothing interesting has come to Canada in the last 100 years.

There's certainly nothing like this in Britain, thank God.

yet ironically in American high school they tend to teach more about English history than any other foreign country

Interesting. America, Germany and Russia are the foreign countries that we get taught the most about.

It is kinda natural. We got our primary language and the majority of our legal tradition from there. Plus, I can't offhand think of any other major countries whom we both fought multiple wars against as enemies and with as allies, and god knows that history class sometimes seems like nothing so much as one long list of wars.

As a former Canadian immigration officer, from what I've seen, no. Most immigration decisions were made by category (Refugee, Skilled Worker, Investor, Family Sponsorship, etc) Financial resources, Criminal history, Geographic region (Mennonite farmer going to Manitoba? Welcome aboard). Of course, this is just to get in the door as a permanent resident (equivalent to U.S. legal alien status). Status is under review every 5 years, and you must be a resident for 3 years before you can apply for citizenship, barring some loophole like being married to a citizen, which will pretty much guarantee against your removal from the country no matter what.

Guest cobainwasmurdered
As someone who took Canadian history, there's a reason for that

When hockey becomes a focal point of history, you know nothing interesting has come to Canada in the last 100 years.

Actually the last 100 years of Canadian history are pretty much the only stuff I find very interesting. Canada's role in the World War's being my main interest.

I got 16.

I got a 12/20. I don't know if I should be ashamed or not.

You shouldn't be, I got 11/20. No wonder people jump the fence to get here and not take the test.

7/20.

Screw that stuff. I came into college as a Math major, history or politics is not my forte. Even as an Anth major now, everything I learn is pre-1000. :(

This stuff is useless in the long run anyways. Unless you're on a game show.

18/20. Maybe I should watch the incentive video again.

"America: The happiness of your new world... forever!"

"Hello, Richard. Did you like America?"

"Well, I enjoyed Horse With No Name, but after that..."