TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Gary Floyd

Hellboy II: The Golden Army

It comes out next week, and I'm sure I'm not the only guy looking forward to it, so here's where we anticipate it/talk about that other comic book movie that's coming out this July.

Returning this time around: Ron Perlman, Selma Blair, Doug Jones (whose also voiceing Abe this time), Jeffrey Tambour (sic?), and a few others. Oh, and director Guillermo del Toro.

New this time: Luke Goss, Seth Macfalene (As Johan Krauss), and a few others

Official Site

Apple Site.

Rotten Tomatoes Site.

This is going to be all sorts of ass kicking goodness. Even my girlfriend is overly excited for it and she didn't even like the first one..

I enjoyed the last film so I'll definitely check this out.

Am I the only one who thinks Hellboy looks like Ted Danson?

Nope.

Looks like a rental to me. I love the direction of Del Toro, fucking ADORED Pan's Labyrinth, but the first Hellboy was pretty "meh." It looked great, but the flow and the plot were just...eh.

The first one got by on some really cool characters and a great look....the plot was a bit bizarre if you aren't a fan of the comic.

Is there any villain in this one that will be as awesome as Karl Ruprecht Kroenen?

Wasn't a fan of the first one at all. I mean I liked the characters and the idea behind it, but even after a second viewing, I could not give a shit about the story. That said this one looks a lot better and I may have to check it out.

I agree with Antileaf, the movie looked cool and had some funny lines here and there but I didn't care for the plot either and I actually didn't really like the fact that it seemed Hellboy was able to fight and beat all the villians without an issue. I kinda want to see Hellboy 2 because it again looks really cool but I don't want to see a much of monsters and villians that look bad ass and then see them all get their ass kicked by Hellboy.

Clips and trailers

the bit in the locker room cracks me up.

Alright, who else is seeing it tomorrow night?

First one was better.

More serious.

This one is far too light hearted, IMO.

Is it closer to the comics? I dunno.

I loved it. Better than the first one IMO.

Hellboy and Abe drunk singing Barry Manilow had me in stitches.

If you can't love that, then there is something wrong with you.

I actually enjoyed this a lot more and think it's one of the best team developed films. The villains wasn't very cut and dry, it mixed his humor in with the well filmed action (filmed from a distance so you could SEE it), the creature designs were top notch and it avoided everything I hated about Spider-man 2.

I'll take this one as a sequel that manages to improve on the original, adds to the development of all the characters, has some nice touching moments and overall I think it's one of the best.

Does it leave room open for a third film?

Does both actually. It sets it so the series can end here or continue. It's actually pretty well played.

2Gold, I think you and I are the only ones that thought Spider-Man 2 was bleh. I still think the first Spidey is the best in the series, since it isn't as horribly whiny and emo as the sequels. I shuttered when that crap was praised in Spider-Man 2 since I knew we'd be in for even more of it in the third.

I'll probably see Hellboy 2 sometime this weekend.

For those who are interested, I just picked up the Hellboy- the Director's Cut 3 disk set at Walmart for nine bucks. Which is a hell of a deal, considering the first time I bought it it was something like $35 (had to sell it off years ago).

2Gold, I think you and I are the only ones that thought Spider-Man 2 was bleh. I still think the first Spidey is the best in the series, since it isn't as horribly whiny and emo as the sequels. I shuttered when that crap was praised in Spider-Man 2 since I knew we'd be in for even more of it in the third.

I'll probably see Hellboy 2 sometime this weekend.

I didn't think it was a horrible film but the "it's the best comic book movie of all time!" shit made me cringe. I was visible annoyed with the film in theaters because I got tired of the constant whining, another Peter Parker mask removal, the Jesus Christ bullshit imagery and just Dunst not trying.

Molina saved that film for me. Without him, I just wouldn't have cared anything about it. I suppose it's faithful to the comic but I just don't understand the love as a film. I'll gladly take part 1 since my god, three managed to accomplish nothing in two hours other than make Joel Schumaker look calm and well controlled. If anything part 3 made Mary Jane look like a dumb idiotic female who wanted to go back to the abusive self absorbed little whining prick who can't even show up for any dates on time. I'm sure she could find a hotter guy who would gladly do the exact same thing, I mean she WAS in New York.

I think the only flaw with Hellboy 2 might be the ending was a little weak. It was kind of abrupt and ended too much like a WB drama than a movie. It wasn't horrible but after how well the film built things, it just came off weak.

Is it true David Hyde Pierce doesn't voice Abe this time around?!!

HB2 was on about the same level of the first one. Del Toro digs deeper into his bag of "creatures" in this one, but as a movie on the whole, it rates the same. 7/10.

Is it true David Hyde Pierce doesn't voice Abe this time around?!!

Yep, David is out and Doug is doing his own voice work.

i wasn't expecting much...thought the first one was just sorta there, and didn't think it warranted a sequel...but i enjoyed this one quite a bit.

it's still a little on the slight & mindless side (not existential or weighty like 'spider-man 2', and not meant to be), but a lot of fun for what it is. they transition from action scene to action scene really well, in a way that makes sense and develops naturally. i was never waiting for the next big set piece, because the characters were interesting and funny. and i was never waiting for the action to just stop (like i sometimes do when it gets to be too much), because it's really inventive and well done.

this, to my mind, is exactly what a summer movie should be. it knows what you come in for, and does it well.

$35.9 million for the weekend bearly beating hancock to the top spot ($33 million) Seems like a mild dissapointment [sic], but I'm not sure what the studio was expecting.

Most predictions for Hellboy had it opening in the 30s, especially since the original grossed only $60 million.

Saw this today and it was great stuff. Hellboy 2 is quite a bit better than the first one, with a better main villain this time around with a clearer plot (though Kroenen is a better enforcer villain than anything in the new one). Dr. Johann Krauss was a fabulous new character and was really off the wall. And the whole setpiece of the Troll's Market was just awesome stuff.

I will say that some plot aspects here reminded me of Del Toro's earlier Blade 2. In that film there was a vampire villain who kills his King Vampire dad with his sister trying to stop him, sorta succeeding, but ultimately dying. Hellboy 2 has a similar plot involving the main villain killing his father, his sister objects, she ends up dying in the effort to stop him.

Disappointing as shit. Choppy editing, horrible pacing and cheesy romance. Del Toro clearly went overboard with the creature-fest and I'm guessing Pans is to blame here. What a fucking letdown.

I really liked this movie. This was one of those movies where the director tried making a "bigger, better" sequel and it turned out great. I did miss Kroenen though, but other than that the movie was better than the first in pretty much every way.