TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Craig Th

Box Office Report...

He shouldn't be. Eddie in the 80s is one of my favorite actors, but I legitimately believe he hasn't made a good movie since Metro. That's more than ten years.

He shouldn't be. Eddie in the 80s is one of my favorite actors, but I legitimately believe he hasn't made a good movie since Metro. That's more than ten years.

I really liked Dreamgirls and Bowfinger but outside of them, agreed. Although I didn't like Metro that much either.

I actually didn't see Dreamgirls, although it is on my list of things to see. As he's a supporting actor in that, though, I wouldn't really think of it as an Eddie Murphy movie.

Didn't care for Bowfinger.

I liked Bowfinger and Life (I might be one of the few) but yeah Eddie's sucked the past 10 or so years. I guess I should rewatch Metro, as it's been a long time and I thought it was pretty bland.

I'm glad to see Love Guru bombing so badly. Which is interesting; rewatched Austin Powers 1 over the weekend and its surprising how great it was. Double nostalgia for the win.

Anyone else advance their tickets for Dark Knight?

Metro suffered from being advertised as a comedy when it wasn't at all. Kinda like Falling Down.

Falling Down did have its funny moments. Fairly dark ones, and not nearly as lighthearted as the ads made it look, but there were some laughs there.

Man, I'd forgotten Metro even existed. I never saw that one, had a lot of bitterness towards Mr. Murphy after getting burned by seeing Beverly Hills Cop 3 in the goddamn theater.

I really don't remember Metro being all that special. Granted,I only saw it once seven or eight years ago but I remember it being a pretty paint by numbers cop movie with a few nifty car chases. The only thing that stood out is that it was more or less a straightforward action movie with a comic bits thrown in.

I-Spy = Underrated

His kids movies are great for what they are. If you are watching them like they are adult movies, of course you aren't going to care for them, but Daddy Daycare, Haunted mansion and Dr. Dolittle(well..the first one) were all damn good kids movies.

Showtime was decent, Pluto Nash was horrible, Norbit was Horrible, and the shreks were all either good, or passable childrens movies.

I think the perception of Murphy's "sucking" over the last ten years comes from the fact that 9 of the 17 movies he has done have been kids movies, and another 3 of those movies(Pluto Nash, Norbit and Holy man) were all undefendably horrid movies.

But in the last 10 years I have enjoyed Showtime(kinda), Life, Bowfinger, I-Spy, and Dreamgirls out of his non kids/family movies.

And that ain't bad.

People have to get over the fact that 80's Eddie Murphy isn't the current day Eddie Murphy. In the 80's, he was funny. Today, he does cute kids movies.

His next movie is going to suck badly, but hopefully the new BHC movie can be decent.

I am wondering what they paid Murphy to do this movie. I mean, it looks like Pluto Nash II - Mini Nash. And we all know that he knew that movie was ass. But they gave him a shit load of money....

I am wondering what they paid Murphy to do this movie. I mean, it looks like Pluto Nash II - Mini Nash. And we all know that he knew that movie was ass. But they gave him a shit load of money....

Well, he's actually promoting this one. So he must not think it sucked as bad as Pluto Nash, which he just didn't want to acknowledge existed when it was about to come out.

Meet dave is going to be a huge flop, maybe at number 7 or 8. I can't believe it cost $100 million to make, either. You have to assume most Hollywood executives are at least moderately intelligent....why would you ever give such an obvious flop, with a fading star, such a huge budget?

I actually do wish Eddie had won that oscar now. It might have set his career of in a different direction. As it is, his loss seemed to serve as excuse to go back to all these lame kids movies.