TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

This Week in Baseball 7/7 - 7/13

Milwaukee's not the fattest city in America. In fact, they're actually the 10th fittest, while Chicago is the 20th fattest.

It's a play on a Simpson's quote.

Record Man: [sees the answer] Oh!

[to the people] Everyone, welcome to the Duff Book

of World Records. Springfield is the world's

fattest town.

[everyone cheers]

Homer: Woo-hoo! In your face, Milwaukee!

Just got back from Dodger Stadium, and im glad I went to the game because I almost didn't go! Stadium was electric the whole entire game, which rarely happens in LA now a days. Wanted to stab the idiots trying to start the wave. Didn't they realize a fucking perfect game was being thrown? Blake Dewitt's bare handed throw to first in the seventh was awesome. Wished Kuroda could have closed the deal, but the Dodgers got the win and a share of first in the division.

Jason Varitek made the all-star team. Nuff said.

Blame the players for that one.

And he celebrated with another 0-fer. Well, actually, that's a typical night for him lately.

The Red Sox sent Justin Masterson down to convert him into a reliever for the rest of the year which should help bolster that shaky pen (featuring Regular Okajima instead of last year's Super Oki and the corpse of Mike Timlin) since he's just devoured righties this year (.170 BAA, .255 OBPA, 21/7 K/BB ratio).

Guest !!!

I went to a Brewers game last night for a charity function. If you're ever interested in doing a little amateur social anthropology, go to a tailgate party in Wisconsin. Holy shit. I felt like I was either on or from another planet. Tailgate parties are just not something that I am of. Highlights were a circle of mulleted men in lawn chairs smoking (whom I think I mentally noted as The Council Of Nine), a 12-year-old girl holding a beer and smoking, and a large group of large people, each of whom had a Brett Favre jersey-shaped foam beer bottle cover on their beers. Also worth noting is that there are corporate and promotional tailgate parties among the masses as well: the fine folks at Trojan had a big tent in the parking lot and were apparently letting anyone come on over and get some free food. (I didn't.) The combined, possibly synergistic, phallic imagery of bratwursts, beer bottles, and condoms was too much to bear. On a related note to the charity aspect of the evening, I'm pretty sure there's an inverse relationship between how connected I am to a given cause, and how much of their free food I consume. Then a woman asked if I wanted to buy some raffle tickets, and I just sort of shrugged, because I was in the middle of eating a bratwurst. I felt a little like Larry David.

Overheard:

"BRO, WE BOUGHT THEIR BEER. SO WE'RE GONNA SWEEP THEIR TEAM AND THEN WE'RE GONNA BUY THEIR BEER!!!"

"Soe he says to me 'are you a runner?' and I says 'only in my head' and soe den he says..."

"Dey don't haive a chaince. We gots McClung goin tonight."

"CC Sa-baithy-a"

I was in the right field loge section, which for $9, provides a really good and cheap view of the field. I didn't bring my eyeglasses, so I had a little trouble reading some of the grandstand LCD scoreboard, but I was able to follow the game just fine. I left in the middle of the 8th and missed the Brewers' rally while failing to miss an epic Midwestern wrath-of-god thunder/hailstorm on the drive home. The Rockies scratched out four runs, tallying one run each inning over four of them, but they did not look like a very good team at all to me. Jimenez pitched well. Meanwhile, the Brewers can hit like damn (only after I depart), but they seemed to struggle at pitching, fielding, and baserunning (TWO pickoffs at first! It's rare to see one!). The vendors are wearing "I Hart New York" t-shirts to push him into the game, but I plan to vote for a non-Arch Hall Jr.-looking motherfucker, likely Pat Burrell. All in all, an enjoyable night.

Jason Varitek made the all-star team. Nuff said.

Blame the players for that one.

And he celebrated with another 0-fer. Well, actually, that's a typical night for him lately.

The Red Sox sent Justin Masterson down to convert him into a reliever for the rest of the year which should help bolster that shaky pen (featuring Regular Okajima instead of last year's Super Oki and the corpse of Mike Timlin) since he's just devoured righties this year (.170 BAA, .255 OBPA, 21/7 K/BB ratio).

Masterson kinda has a Scott Shields vibe to him from what I've seen. I think he could become an excellent 8th inning guy

Cubs-Reds series in Wrigley.

Big news all day is Marty Brennamen now requires a security staff in order to enter and exit Wrigley. He said he doesn't care and is going to continue reading stupid Cub Fan Emails in the middle innings. It's hilarious how this has built, now he's been interviewed, one of his guards was interviewed. Evidently he has gotten all kinds of threats ranging from death to just being physically beaten. It will be an interesting game to listen to on 700 WLW tonight

Whats all that from with Marty v. Cub fans? I know he has gotten a little surlier in the last ten years, but I hadn't heard of this.

Earlier this year someone hit a HR for the Reds (I think it was Dunn) and people in the stands didn't just throw that ball back but threw about 10-15 onto the field. Marty went off on a tangent, essentially labeling cubs fans as unintelligent drunks. It got a little play in chicago sports radio (i'm not sure how much as I don't live there) and it really started. For awhile Marty would read emails from Chicago, he would pick out the emails calling for his head and pick apart stupid mistakes made in the emails, basically mocking the stupidity of the fans. It really is funny to hear, Marty is a prick, but the reds blow and it's entertaining.

Holy Shit. Brewers have just been one upped.

Rich Harden and Chad Gaudin to the Cubs...it's breaking now on ESPN

Cubs acquire right-handed pitcher Rich Harden and Chad Gaudin from Oakland

07/08/2008 6:34 PM ET

MLB.com

CHICAGO -- The Chicago Cubs today acquired right-handed pitchers Rich Harden and Chad Gaudin from the Oakland Athletics for right-handed pitcher Sean Gallagher, outfielder Matt Murton, infielder Eric Patterson and catcher Josh Donaldson.

Harden, 26, is 36-19 with a 3.42 ERA (206 ER/541.2 IP) in 97 appearances (89 starts) in all or part of the last six seasons with Oakland. He has 523 strikeouts in 541.2 innings pitched, an average of 8.7 strikeouts per nine innings, and has limited opponents to a .224 batting average. He pitched in the 2003 and 2006 postseasons.

The righthander is 5-1 with a 2.34 ERA (20 ER/77.0 IP) in 13 starts this season with Oakland, fanning 92 batters in 77.0 innings, an average of 10.8 strikeouts per nine innings. His 2.34 ERA would rank second in the majors behind only Oakland's Justin Duchscherer (1.98), but he is just shy of the necessary innings to qualify. Harden's .206 batting average against would rank third in the majors. He has 92 strikeouts and 31 walks this season, one strikeout shy of a three-to-one strikeout-to-walk ratio. Harden has allowed only five home runs in 77.0 innings.

Among pitchers with at least 12 starts this season, Harden leads the majors with 10.75 strikeouts per nine innings (San Francisco's Tim Lincecum is next at 9.49) and he ranks 12th with 10.40 baserunners allowed per nine innings.

Harden spent one month this season on the disabled list (April 10-May 11) with a strained right shoulder and has averaged six innings per start since returning, four times pitching into the seventh inning or beyond. He has turned in a quality start in seven of his last 10 outings, posting a 2.02 ERA (14 ER/62.1 IP) and a .190 batting average against in that span starting May 17. Overall, he has allowed two earned runs or less in 10 of his 13 starts.

The 6-foot-1, 195-pound Harden went 3-0 with a 0.68 ERA (2 ER/26.2 IP) in four starts vs. the National League during interleague play this season, limiting those foes to a .132 batting average. In his career, Harden is 5-1 with a 1.81 ERA (11 ER.54.2 IP) in 10 interleague appearances, nine as a starter.

A native of Victoria, British Columbia, Harden is 10-3 with a 2.95 ERA (49 ER/149.1 IP) during the last three seasons, limiting opponents to a .201 batting average, though five stints on the disabled list have kept him to 29 appearances, 26 as a starter. His 2.95 ERA and .201 batting average against would lead all big league starters if he had accumulated the necessary innings during the last three seasons to qualify for league-leader rankings. In his career, he is 18-3 with a 1.45 ERA (35 ER/217.1 IP) when pitching at least seven innings (29 starts).

Gaudin, 25, is 5-3 with a 3.59 ERA (25 ER/62.2 IP) in 26 appearances (six starts) with Oakland this season, including a 3.38 ERA (10 ER/26.2 IP) in his 20 relief appearances. He has not allowed an earned run in 15 of his 20 relief outings and has pitched 1.0 inning or more in 17 of those appearances. The 5-foor-10, 185 pound Gaudin joins the Cubs having turned in a 1.50 ERA (1 ER/6.0 IP) in his last seven relief outings beginning June 21.

The New Orleans native has pitched all or part of the last six seasons in the big leagues with Tampa Bay (2003-04), Toronto (2005) and Oakland (2006-08), going 24-23 with two saves and a 4.33 ERA (25 203 ER/421.2 IP). He returned to the bullpen this season after making 34 starts with Oakland last season. Gaudin is 8-5 with two saves and a 3.63 ERA (59 ER/146.1 IP) in 111 relief appearances in his career.

Gallagher, 22, is 3-4 with a 4.45 ERA (29 ER/58.2 IP) in 12 appearances (10 starts) with the Cubs this season. He has split the last two seasons between the Cubs and Triple-A Iowa. Gallagher was originally selected by the Cubs in the fifth round of the 2006 Draft.

Murton, 26, has split the 2008 season between the Cubs and Triple-A, batting .250 (10-for-40) with two doubles and six RBI in 19 games for Chicago this season. He has spent all or part of the last four seasons in the majors, hitting .294 (256-for-870) with 28 home runs and 104 RBI in 308 big league games. He was acquired by the Cubs on July 31, 2004 from the Boston Red Sox as part of a four-team, six-player trade.

Patterson, 25, has also split the season between the Cubs and Triple-A and hit .237 (9-for-38) during his three stints in the big leagues this season. He was originally selected by the Cubs in the eighth round of the 2004 Draft.

Donaldson, 22, batted .217 (51-for-235) with six home runs and 23 RBI in 63 games for Single-A Peoria this season. He was selected by the Cubs in the second round of the 2007 Draft.

I don't understand this trade at all for Oakland. Chad Gaudin, by himself, is probably better than anybody else that the A's are getting in this deal. Throwing in Harden makes this a mid-season laugher on par with Pittsburgh handing Chicago the NL Central in 2003.

Just one more quick thing from Marty:

"I offered to sign 'Take Me Out to the Ballgame,'" Brennaman said. "They turned me down."

What a ballsy prick. It's hilarious, I really wish they would've let him, imagine that.

Guest !!!

bs01165_.gif

Chicago Cubs or Current Resident

1060 West Addison Street

Chicago, Ill., 60613

Harden gets injured in his second start; Billy Beane triumphs again.

This trading deadline is already more interesting than last year's. Harden is a risk, but the Cubs did not give up a single crucial piece of their ballclub. Acquiring Chad Gaudin in the deal as well is a nice touch. Even if Harden blows up, this is a risk the Cubs have to take.

For the A's, I imagine they have a higher opinion of the B level prospects than the Cubs. Eric now has a .301 batting average in the minors. Murton is a 294/362/448 hitter in the majors, but somehow only got into 19 games this year. Gallagher is the type of guy who would thrive with the A's emphasis on defense. Donaldson, we'll see.

For Cub fans, I noticed Jose Ceda has gone apeshit on the Southern League since his promotion. 10 innings in six appearances, where he's struck out 17 and walked two. 0.90 ERA.

I am so freaking sick of the Jays' hitters this season. Seems like every single time they get a rally going with less than two outs, someone either strikes out or hits into a double play.

I know clutchness is at the very least very overrated, but these guys have to be the unclutchiest bunch I've ever seen.

Guest !!!

If Marmol keeps Ankieling, we might need Ceda up here by Labor Day.

For Bored: Eric Patterson is supposedly less toolsy than Corey but with a higher baseball IQ, but his left field exploits did nothing to bear that out. Matt Murton is absolutely beloved by Cubs fans on the Internet because he came over from the Red Sox system, where Bill James works, ergo, Matt Murton ought to be the ideal baseball player, taking walks and all that jazz. In reality, he doesn't walk much, he can't field the second-lowest position on the spectrum, he can't hit for power there either, and doesn't seem to be much more than a fifth outfielder. Sean Gallagher showed flashes of brilliance, but his modus operandi is generally to get the hitter down 0-2, and then work the count full till he walks the hitter or gives up a hit. I've never seen anyone protract so many two-strike counts and ultimately fail so often. They'll be fine in Oakland.

Guest !!!

Heard from whom? Second base hasn't been a pressing need this year, with DeRosa playing well enough and Fontenot stepping up adequately when DeRosa has to cover third or the outfield. The concerns have been in the pitching department.

Nice surprise to wake up to. Harden's a huge risk to stay healthy, but like Al said, the Cubs didn't give much up. Murton wasn't even the team's fourth outfielder, Patterson is pretty useless unless he's playing second, and Gallagher, while a decent prospect, is a bit redundant in the Cubs' system.

The Gaudin addition just makes this a risk worth taking. Billy's got a habit of winning these allegedly bad trades, but even if Harden's arm flies off into the stands, the Cubs won't have given up much to get it there.

I worked overtime today and hadn't looked at anything online since noon so this was quite the shock when I peaked in this thread to read the news. On all accounts the trade is getting panned and the only semi-bright spots seem to be a) Sean Gallagher might be halfway decent but not like pitching prospects were a huge area of need for the A's and b) adding Matt Murton will probably mean they finally DFA Emil Brown, although Bob Geren continues to insist on hitting him 4th or 5th. The throw in of the horribly misused Chad Gaudin makes this deal even more puzzling because logic would dictate that if the A's were going to trade Harden or Joe Blanton, Gaudin would have taken their spot in the rotation.

Really the only defense you can make of this trade for the A's is that Harden is going get hurt yet again and soon. The start before last against the Angels he complained about a "dead arm" after the game and wasn't too sharp, but not terrible, in his last start against the White Sox. As for possibly giving up on the season, personally I've yet to get too excited about this team. They've been playing .500 ball for over two months since a 17-10 start and they simply aren't deep enough to hang with in the West and Wild Card races into late September even with Harden.

If I had any real expectations going into this season I'd be upset, otherwise I'm very indifferent to this and have learned that this is part of being an A's fan.

Three straight games of offensive contribution from Andruw. I pray he gets hot for the stretch run. Or even mild.

God damn it. What the frickin' frick, Billy Beane. Harden and Gaudin?

Oh well. At least Mulder is back in the rotation!

:)

:mellow:

:angry: