TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

This Week in Baseball 7/7 - 7/13

Somebody crunch the numbers. Prove me wrong/right. I think Burrell's having a better year so far, which is what the AS game is about (IMO) - who is having a better 1st half of the season, not who is better overall.

Burrell .279/.412/.581 21 2B, 2 3B, 22 HR, 54 RBI, 48 R, 84 H, 69 BB, 175 TB

Wright .288/.386/.511 24 2B, 2 3B, 17 HR, 70 RBI, 59 R, 102 H, 58 BB, 181 TB

Burrell has a better OBP, SLG, OPS, more HR and BB

Wright has a better BA, more 2B, RBI, R, H and TB

It's pretty close, but I think Wright is clearly the best hitter on his team while Burrell isn't, and since the game is in NY he's the easier choice.

Somebody crunch the numbers. Prove me wrong/right. I think Burrell's having a better year so far, which is what the AS game is about (IMO) - who is having a better 1st half of the season, not who is better overall.

Wright is a good defensive third baseman. Burrell is an iffy left fielder. Wright's advantage in defense negates Burrell's advantage in offense, IMO.

Also, remember the difference in home ballparks.

I think I will stick with my "Burrell got robbed" opinion. Maybe Welcome-To-The-Fukudome eats some bad sushi and comes down w/ food poisoning, or something.

I don't think you voted enought times (or, at all?) for Burrell, Al. I'm'a blame this on you.

I think I will stick with my "Burrell got robbed" opinion. Maybe Welcome-To-The-Fukudome eats some bad sushi and comes down w/ food poisoning, or something.

I don't think you voted enought times (or, at all?) for Burrell, Al. I'm'a blame this on you.

Yeah, I never voted. I'm sorry, but I can't get worked up over whether or not Burrell gets a pinch-hitting shot in the eighth inning. Besides, it's more compelling that Burrell is now possibly the greatest player never to make the squad (him or Kirk Gibson).

This is a serious question, did Bobby Abreu ever run into a wall in the outfield and get hurt badly as a result of it? Every time a ball is hit anywhere near the fence it's like he wants no part of it, even if the ball lands a good 5 or 10 feet shy of the wall. I've never seen another outfielder so reluctant to go after balls that could be caught fairly easily. I'm not saying that he should be Aaron Rowand or Ken Griffey Jr., but you'd think the fence was electrified the way he runs away from it.

I forgot what the reasoning was, but I don't remember hearing that he got hit by a wall when he was younger. They were actually practicing this with him earlier in the year, and he's made a few on the wall catches, but it's still a weird thing.

Guest !!!

You can't get hit by a wall. The wall got hit by him, unless Abreu had a mishap involving a moving wall. Maybe he lived in a real-life castle from Super Mario World.

And the Orioles blow it again against Toronto. Well, the way things are going now, it looks like Huff and a few others are going to be shipped off for younger talent at the trade deadline unless the O's clean up their act.

And the next night they roll into Boston and beat them 7-3, and they are now 5-5 vs Boston this year. I think they can win tonight too, but of course..tomorrow.. bleh

Oh, and Tampa Bay has lost 5 in a row...aww.

And Burrell is arguably the best-hitting outfielder in baseball.

That is a horrible argument.

Sure is. He needs to raise that .279 batting average if he ever wants to be an all-star. And he plays in a bandbox. Fuck him. He doesn't even deserve to watch the game on television.

What's that? He's hit far better on the road than at home this season? His OPS is higher than that of any other major-league outfielder? OK.

Well I never like to wish innuries on anyone in sports...

But the Red Sox just improved greatly with Lugo going down.

Geez, Marvin's posts are really annoying to read. I'm not one to normally complain about a poster, but damn....

Nice comeback win for the Phils last night. Jayson Werth is slowly becoming one of my favorite players. I'm glad we gave him a chance after his wrist injury. And I hope the Rays win the AL East. This is all.

Man, I'm watchin the Phils game and it's 2-2 and then tape some wrestling really quick off DVR so I can delete it, I come back to see the game and it is 10-2...what the shit

EDIT: Wow....and there were 2 outs and it was still 2-2 before Arizona scored 8 runs. Gogo Adam Eaton

You know it's a blowout when Don and Jerry get giggly in the booth and we get a video of Remy being ejected from a game with his curly red mane flopping around.

When did Dick Vitale become such a baseball fan? He was at some of the Tampa games and now he's sitting aside the O's dugout tonight.

To be fair, he has been a season-ticket holder for the Rays since their inception. Whenever the ESPN Radio crew brought him on, there was always a half-serious discussion on how the Rays were doing.

Didn't see the game today, but the Tigers lost yet another 1-run game to the Twins. I don't have the stats in front of me, but I swear the Twins have owned the Tigers for the past 3-4 years now.

Just got back from the Reading Phillies game where Brett Myers pitched.

Brett Myers went eight innings, allowing two earned runs and five hits in a 3-2 loss. He struck out 10 and walked two in a 118-pitch effort.

http://www.readingphillies.com/recap071208.htm

Carlos Carrasco, Jason Donald, Lou Marson and Greg Golson were not in the lineup due to the Futures Game at Yankee Stadium.

I walked right past Pat Gillick who was in attendance with Mike Arbuckle and Dallas Green.