TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mik

UFN - Silva vs. Irvin

He didn't look good, dawg... had a guy that he should have really picked apart for an impressive TKO victory early and somehow it ends up a decision. I really don't know how one of the judges gave him a 30-27 score in his favor.

It was that bad. Hope it ain't a sign of things to come.

So did Vera look that bad? I'm hearing phrases like "205's version of Tim Sylvia" being thrown around elsewhere which is fucking harsh.

He didn't look good, he had HUGE height and reach on the guy but wouldn't pull the trigger first on any stand up, just kept waiting to counter

Can't really blame Vera for being very cautious though... He was coming off 2 straight losses, he couldn't afford another one. Especially to an opponet like Resse Andy.

I don't know if it was a good job on the Countdown show's part, or just the few clips I've seen of him, but I was sure Irvin had a better chance against Silva then that. The man is just unstoppable right now and I just don't see who at 205 has a chance at beating him.

Vera was seriously unimpressive. I was expecting him to come out and bang and he just sat and waited to counter punch the entire time. I was almost looking foward to seeing what he could do at 205 more than Silva, and he really laid an egg.

Oh and how Jake O'brien took that many shots without forgetting what planet he was on was impressive. He got the shit kicked out of him but I didn't think he was gonna eat more than 5 of those shots and he ended up taking about 25.

Can't really blame Vera for being very cautious though... He was coming off 2 straight losses, he couldn't afford another one. Especially to an opponet like Resse Andy.

I know, but this whole fight was set-up for him to have a Bisping like debut in dropping weight. Really, the point where Andy completely whiffs a leg kick and Vera knocks him down with a leg kick counter of his own and.... wait... no follow up? This really should have been a 3 minute beating.

Fuck did Cain look awesome there. Just brutal power and control. The fact that it was against JOB sweetens the murdering all the more.

Me want Rory Markham vs Marcus Davis.

Did anyone notice that in his debut they pronounced his name like Ca-Een and last night it was back to Cain (which is what I thought it was all along)? Anyone, I'm sure Curry loved seeing JOB getting Salaverry'd to death. The newest issue of FIGHT! magazine (with Rampage on the cover and the headline: UNSTOPPABLE - Rampage's plan to stay on the top LOL) has a profile on AKA and they just gush about Velasquez with guys like Kos and Fitch talking about how much of a beast he is.

Affliction has the big guns in the HW division right now but really with Cain, Carwin and Brock the UFC HW division is going to be so solid from 2009-2012, at least.

As for Vera, he looked like shit, yes... But there's precedent and Joe gave a really good example last night in Rich Franklin looking like shit in his 185 debut against Jorge Rivera and then after he got used to the cut = total domination. Not only was it Brandon's first cut but he took the fight on a month's notice. Not everyone is going to look as sharp as Michael Bisping did when they are making their first cut.

Oh, and I'm also a little outraged how all the main websites are just glossing over the assraping that Rumble Johnson got last night. There needs to be an outcry and an overturned decision. Fuck Kevin Burns and his "palm strikes"/eye pokes.

Thinking optimistically involving Rampage, there is almost no way he gets the rematch with Griffin now so I think its likely we will see Rampage vs Sylva. If Rampage gets a severe verdict from the Judge the fight is a big payoff before his absence/release?, if he gets off with probation it serves the same financial benefit while positioning both men greatly for a future title shot.

I read some guy saying on another message board that Silva didn't have one punch KO power. After nearly knocking Irvin's teeth out with one punch I wonder if his tune has changed.

This almost reminded me of the Leben fight in the sense that Irvin was talking a lot and seemed confident. Then when Silva connected with his first punch the dude just clammed up and looked kind of freaked.

This fight didn't elevate Silva any in my eyes and it only made Irvin look worse, a former HW getting knocked out by a guy who usually fights at 185. This begs the question as to why they even made this fight in the first place, but the whole card felt rushed and was pretty crappy for the most part, with the exception of the high kick KO.

I didn't think it was a crappy card... It was fairly entertaining.

- CB Dollaway had a nice submission and looked really good

- Johnson/Burns was pretty entertaining but the finish to the fight kinda ruined it for everyone.

- Velasquez looked like an absolute monster, and got some TV time... Atleast he is in the public eye.

- Franca/Edgar was pretty good, Edgar looked REALLY good handling a former title contender. His submission defense looked really well.

- Vera/Andy sucked, but 1 crappy fight is understandable

- Silva looked like Silva...

Before he comes back in here and curses you out... I'm assuming you meant Wanderlei so that would be Silva.

Before he comes back in here and curses you out... I'm assuming you meant Wanderlei so that would be Silva.

I meant Anderson actually. That was before I just read about Rampage being held on observation as a potential danger to himself and others.

Who said Sylvia fights in the UFC ?

Thinking optimistically involving Rampage, there is almost no way he gets the rematch with Griffin now so I think its likely we will see Rampage vs Sylva.

As for Vera, he looked like shit, yes... But there's precedent and Joe gave a really good example last night in Rich Franklin looking like shit in his 185 debut against Jorge Rivera and then after he got used to the cut = total domination. Not only was it Brandon's first cut but he took the fight on a month's notice. Not everyone is going to look as sharp as Michael Bisping did when they are making their first cut.

As I mentioned before, there was also Swick cutting to 170 where he looked like crap against Burkman.

Oh, and I'm also a little outraged how all the main websites are just glossing over the assraping that Rumble Johnson got last night. There needs to be an outcry and an overturned decision. Fuck Kevin Burns and his "palm strikes"/eye pokes.

I'd have to agree with those who are saying that the fight will be changed to a No Contest. And let's give Rumble some credit for showing class in a situation where he really should've been saying that he got screwed.

This fight didn't elevate Silva any in my eyes and it only made Irvin look worse, a former HW getting knocked out by a guy who usually fights at 185. This begs the question as to why they even made this fight in the first place, but the whole card felt rushed and was pretty crappy for the most part, with the exception of the high kick KO.

I'm pretty sure that no other LHW was willing to take on Silva on such short notice. Can you blame them?

Paydays are in

Total disclosed payroll for the event was $623,000.

The full results included:

Anderson Silva: $200,000 (no win bonus issued)

def. James Irvin: $20,000

Brandon Vera: $200,000 (includes $100,000 win bonus)

def. Reese Andy $15,000

Frankie Edgar: $26,000 ($13,000 win bonus)

def. Hermes Franca : $17,000

Cain Velasquez: $14,000 ($7,000 win bonus)

defeats Jake O'Brien: $11,000

Kevin Burns: $10,000 ($5,000 win bonus)

def. Anthony Johnson: $9,000

CB Dollaway: $20,000 ($10,000 win bonus)

defeats Jesse Taylor: $8,000

Tim Credeur: $16,000 ($8,000 win bonus)

def. Cale Yarbrough: $8,000

Rory Markham: $12,000 ($6,000 win bonus)

defeats Brodie Farber: $3,00O

Nate Loughran: $8,000 ($4,000 win bonus)

defeats Johnny Rees: $4,000

Brad Blackburn: $10,000 ($5000 win bonus)

defeats James Gaboo: $3,000

Shannon Gugerty: $6,000 ($3,000 win bonus)

defeats Dale Hartt: $3,000

CB got sub of the night $20,000 extra

Markham got KO of the night, $20,000 extra

Franca and Frankie got fight of the night, $20,000 extra each

So Brandon Vera essentially stole $200,000 with that shitty performance and Burns didn't deserve a win bonus considering he shouldn't have won that fight.

So Brandon Vera essentially stole $200,000 with that shitty performance and Burns didn't deserve a win bonus considering he shouldn't have won that fight.

Agree on both counts. They're also getting Cain at a steal right now

Remember that the win bonus is written into their contract though - I'd assume that if the decision is overturned then Burns has that bonus taken away.

Anthony Johnson post-surgery pictures (scroll down a little)

Anthony “Rumble” Johnson had to get laser surgery today because Kevin Burn’s finger damaged the retina of his eye. He also had a laceration from one end of his eye to the other end which required stitches. UFC took care of all expenses for this surgery since it was related to his incident in his last UFC fight.

Vera's a bum...I hope he gets KOed by Jardine

Vera's a bum? Shut the fuck up... Why you gotta be on some troll shit? If you don't think Vera's a good fighter atleast explain your point. And how can he be a bum if he's making 200k for one fight.

Vera is far from a bum but I think we can all agree at this point that he was the victim of some undeserved hype.

And don't play ignorant, pay has little (or no) factor on a fighters skill. If that were the case we wouldn't be seeing guys like Jardine get fucked over.

Vera is far from a bum but I think we can all agree at this point that he was the victim of some undeserved hype.

And don't play ignorant, pay has little (or no) factor on a fighters skill. If that were the case we wouldn't be seeing guys like Jardine get fucked over.

Of course he has been overhyped lately, but in the past he warranted the hype... He looked really good when he was on the come up, finishing most of his fights in the 1st round.

And the point I was trying to make is bums don't make 200k a fight.

I can pick out random dudes of Sherdog Fight Finder that have finished guys in the first round, that doesn't mean they're worth the hype. What you need to look at is WHO Vera finished and more importantly what's happened when he's faced against top-tier competition.

I can pick out random dudes of Sherdog Fight Finder that have finished guys in the first round, that doesn't mean they're worth the hype. What you need to look at is WHO Vera finished and more importantly what's happened when he's faced against top-tier competition.

What has happend when he faced top-tier competition? He broke his hand against Sylvia, and it's not like Sylvia totally destroyed him... All Sylvia did was push him against the cage. Plus the Werdum fight was a very controversial stoppage.

Vera destroyed Mike Whitehead, Frank Mir, and Assuerio Silva all of whom are very solid fighters. The fact that Vera beat them in convincingly fashion says a lot about his skill level.

I know I'm in the minority here but I don't see the controversy about the Werdum stoppage. I mean, I SEE it but I think it was totally justified as Vera did nothing to get out of the mount and then bitched about it like the ref was supposed to let him get bombed on until he was out cold.