TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cran Da Maniac

Desert Island Draft, Comics Edition

For my next pick I choose a series that has a big effect on any post 'KC" DC issue since....

Kingdome Come

I'm pretty sure that this was actually a series about trying to get people to watch the Seattle Mariners, and not an Elseworlds book...

I'll update the main page tomorrow, I'm on a crappy computer right now, but I'm going to take Marvels. Feel like it's a good story that was wonderful painted by Alex Ross, and Kurt Busiek is a superb writer.

Marvels(Large)%2000-00s_400x400.jpg

n28770.jpg

V for Vendetta is a ten-issue comic book series written by Alan Moore and illustrated mostly by David Lloyd, set in a dystopian future United Kingdom imagined from the 1980s about the 1990s. A mysterious anarchist named "V" works to destroy the totalitarian government, profoundly affecting the people he encounters.

The series is set in a near-future Britain after a limited nuclear war, which has left much of the world destroyed. In this future, an extreme fascist party called Norsefire has arisen and is now the ruling power. "V", an anarchist revolutionary dressed in a Guy Fawkes mask, begins an elaborate, violent and theatrical campaign to bring down the government.

My next pick is also a good example of what can be done with a non-super hero comic.

BoxOffice.jpg

Box Office Poison

The epic 600+ page story of Sherman, Ed, Mr. Flavor and every one else in it. Every character in this book is incredibly fleshed out even if they are only seen for a page or two and the main characters are people you could swear you know and by the end of the book you do.

To start off the next round I have to go with my favorite story from one of my all time favorite series.

SinCity.jpg

Sin City: The Hard Goodbye

In a nutshell, the lovable ape Marv is out to get revenge for the murder of a hooker with a heart of gold. What more can you ask for?

Both of those are great picks...

My next pick is just another example of some of the superb stuff that was coming out of Marvel during the eighties. Miller's Daredevil. Claremont's X-Men. Byrne's Fantastic Four.

Walt Simonson's Thor. I picked the first installment on his run, where he resets the status quo of Thor, gets rid of the Donald Blake junk and introduces everyone's favorite horse imitation hero, Beta Ray Bill.

simonson_thor_visionaries_c.jpg

Marvel Visionaries - Thor by Walt Simonson, v 1

Going the indy route, as I choose one of the most enjoyable books you'll probably ever read - and likely one I will read to my daughter later on:

Out_from_Boneville.jpg

This spans issues 1-6 of the series.

Doubt this one is in high demand, but it was the first TPB I ever got:

STAR00195.jpg

ROBIN: A HERO REBORN

Tim Drake, the young computer wizard who became the third Robin, undergoes intensive training and faces the Scarecrow and other villains in this collection that details Robins origin for the modern age of comics.

I'm going to pick Captain America: Operation Rebirth. This is the kick ass storyline written by Mark Waid, Drawn by Ron Garney. It was right before Heroes Reborn, and I wished they hadn't gotten cut off by that. The stories afterwards werent' really the same, as there was this crazy frantic energy in these early stories

cat96.jpg

For my next pick I am choosing the whodunit tale by Brad Meltzer and Rags Morales....Identity Crisis.

Identity_crisis_1.jpg

So people may have been soured on the ending of the story but to me that didn't affect it to much. If you were reading the story you were trying to guess who the killer was. You had Deathstroke return to his badass roots, and Dr. Light no longer being the moron he use to be.

The morality issues brought out in the mini-series was great and Rags artwork made me a huge fan. If only he would draw more. (come on Rags, sign up for JSA!)

Don't forget to PM folks.

For my next pick, I take the 'Ion Saga' Part 1, aka the first time Kyle Rayner became Ion. (I'm not 100% positive) but I think it's issues 139 through 149 of Green Lantern.

76692-199661-ion_super.jpg

It's quite possibly my favorite story, involving my favorite hero ever. The guy I like, obtaining a Godlike power that dwarfed even that of Superman? Awesome. And I'll always love the scene of him ending a war, while in a press conference, talking about ending a war.

And I'm assuming I can't just take "Young Justice"? As as far as I'm aware that weren't really any TPB collected story arcs from that. Or if they were it was just a one shot issue like 'Sins of Youth'. But if not, I'm just going to go ahead with

Titans/Young Justice: Graduation Day

190049-19106-114206-1-titans-young-justice_super.jpg

Just to get my fix of both, as I loved Young Justice. And this in the long run was their 'coming of age' tale so to speak. It's what transitioned majority of the team from YJ to Teen Titan, and who doesn't enjoy seeing Donny Troy get killed?

And yea, obviously I'm a big DC fan and have only read fairly recent stories >_>.

318-1.jpg

This story saw the return of Hal Jordan as GL. I thought that it was a great story and the reveal of the yellow impurity was great.

I'm considering opening this draft up to include complete runs on titles, no matter how big or small, seeing how quickly this draft is going. Any thoughts?

ultimatespider-man_vol10%20(Large).jpg

A major movie studio is making a summer blockbuster about Spider-Man, and the Ultimate wall-crawler swings by the set to give the producers a piece of his mind. But someone else is even hotter about being in the film than Spidey: Doctor Octopus, who just may shut the production down if he doesn't get final edit! As the cameras roll, the real wall-crawler and Doc Ock go head-to-head behind the scenes! Collects ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN #54-59.

1568-1.jpg

Fantastic Four, v1: Imaginauts

by Mark Waid and Mike Wieringo

from Marvel.com

"A team -- and a family -- of adventurers, explorers and imaginauts, the Fantastic Four live lives both ordinary…and extraordinary. Now, Reed Richards, Sue Richards, Benjamin Grimm and Johnny Storm blast into this fully loaded, oversized hardcover -- featuring an entire year’s worth of the World's Greatest Comic Magazine and more than 30 pages of ever-lovin' extras! Finally, learn the truth behind Mister Fantastic’s decision to cast his friends as the greatest squad of superhuman adventurers ever assembled; see the Fantastic Four face off against a sentient mathematical equation driven mad by love, an infestation of insects from another dimension, a cascading wave of molecular instability and a teammate on a homicidal rampage; and bear witness to history in the making as Doctor Doom does…the unthinkable. Collects FANTASTIC FOUR #60-70 and #500-502."

Simply superb. Lee and Kirby created these characters as something more than being super heroes; not only are they scientist/explorers, but they are family. This book really captures that aspect and reaffirmed my love of these characters.

For my next pick I'm going with one the greatest adventure of Stan Siaki's Usagi Yojumbo

GrassCutter.jpg

Grasscutter:

Forged in heaven, The Grasscutter is the lost sword of the Gods and could potentially tip the scales of power for the shadowy Conspiracy of Eight in their quest to overthrow the Shogunate and reinstate the Emperor. With the help of a witch and the souls of dead warriors, they plan to recover the lost sword and bring the Shogun down. But when the fates place the Grasscutter in the hands of Usagi Yojimbo, he becomes the focus of a deadly struggle for possession of the sword.

Seeing that I have a severe lack of superhero books here my next pick will be one of the all time classic Spider-Man Stories

Amazing Spider-Man #229-230: Nothing Can Stop The Juggernaut

395px-AmazingSpider-Man229.jpg

This is a perfect example of who Spider-Man is, hes up against The Juggernaut and although he has no chance whatsoever of beating him he refuses to quit. This was one of the first Spidey stories I ever read and is still one of my favorites.

Stevie's window expired, but I think my pick is probably not what he was thinking of regardless:

3583-1.jpg

Claremont's one lucky fuck to have worked with some great artists, and I believe that this is the only time he worked with Brent Anderson.

Nope it wasn't.

BORN.jpg

Punisher: Born

by Garth Ennis and Darrick Robertson

My next pick is one part Apocalypse Now, with two parts Garth Ennis. It tells the story of Frank Castle's last tour of Vietnam through the eyes of one of the men under him. Simply chilling and horrifying.

100bull3.jpg

100 Bullets: Hang up on the Hang Low

One of the 4 best series I've ever read from Vertigo.

*Note* Starting next round, you can pick any creative teams run on a book, no matter how long or short (barring issues or storylines that have been picked)

Anybody have an arguments against it?

*Note* Starting next round, you can pick any creative teams run on a book, no matter how long or short (barring issues or storylines that have been picked)

Anybody have an arguments against it?

I prefer it that way anyways. Didn't particularly like the TPB format in some cases, as say what if everyone had decided to take a volume of Ultimate Spider-man for the round. That sort of defeats the purpose of a draft.

Of course there are some cases, like I can't see anyone fairly getting "Action Comics" or any 400+ issue series, but in most (recent) cases you might as well take the whole run.

I agree case by case is the best and fairest way to do it.

I'm considering opening this draft up to include complete runs on titles, no matter how big or small, seeing how quickly this draft is going. Any thoughts?

To me that only works if the title only ran aprox. 40 issues.

For my pick, I am bringing the "Bwa-haha" back to comics....

1401203051.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

You know, it's amazing how incredibly fucked up that group is now. Sue was raped, and is now dead, along with Ralph, Beetle was shot in the head, Captain Atom became Monarch and tried to kill everyone, Mary Marvel went evil, although I think she's better now, can't remember, Bea...I was about to say was pretty much non-existent, but I think she's a big part of Checkmate which I don't read, so maybe she is doing something worthwhile, and Booster, even though he's saving the world is living a pretty horrible life, trapped in a timesphere, while repeatedly trying to bring Ted back without consequence.

Needless to say that JLI had quite the group of characters.