TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cran Da Maniac

Desert Island Draft, Comics Edition

Wow, wasn't even aware it was my pick. Anyways, i've already taken Infinite Crisis, so I might as well take the follow up too

114475-18053-108928-1-52_super.jpg

Was a pretty great story, it took some fairly useless characters and made them pretty worthwhile characters in the DC Universe. Plus, it was pretty cool there being a new issue each week, along with backstories of all the current heroes at the end of the book.

And also Superman/Batman

60964-10938-93959-1-superman--batman_super.jpg

A lot of great stories involving DC's greatest heroes. My main reason for picking this is Supergirl's origin retell, which was drawn by Michael Turner and I thought looked amazing. I'm gonna need some artistic inspiration when I'm drawing in the sand.

Well obviously, series that have ran for 400+ issues are out, but what I mean is that if say you wanted the Avengers, then you'd be limited to picking something along the line of Busiek/Perez run, the Bendis/Finch Run, or maybe taking the Bob Harras run (although who'd really want that) versus the whole series. So it's more for a particular creative team run on a comic.

And for the retroactive picks, I'm thinking of allowing you to exchange one and only one pick. This can be made any time, though preferably within your next round of picks

or maybe taking the Bob Harras run (although who'd really want that) versus the whole series. So it's more for a particular creative team run on a comic.

I'm thinking that you really, really have to like Steve Epting's art.

And for the retroactive picks, I'm thinking of allowing you to exchange one and only one pick. This can be made any time, though preferably within your next round of picks

The only two picks I have that would be eligible would be the X-Men and Bone. As I've mentioned, picking an entire creative team's run on X-Men covers a shitload of stuff, so that would be out in my opinion. Bone... I'm not so sure about. I'm not sure where the logical cut is on the first arc if I were to take that.

brubaker-rucka.jpg

I believe that the run of this series is short enough to be considered as a whole. If there are no objections to it, consider my pick to be the underrated Gotham Central by Brubaker and Rucka.

My retroactive pick will be 100 Bullets, I feel that the twist and turns in that series were grand, and one of the finer works out there.

My actual pick for this round is going to be Preacher. The series as a whole was like one big road action movie with religion and western thrown in for a good mix.

newfrontier.jpg

DC: The New Frontier is an Eisner, Harvey, and Shuster Award-winning six-issue comic book limited series written and drawn by Darwyn Cooke and published by DC Comics from 2003 to 2004, collected in two paperback volumes in 2004 and 2005 and an Absolute Edition in 2006. The story has been adapted as an animated movie titled Justice League: The New Frontier, released on February 26, 2008.

The series is reminiscent of works such as Kingdom Come and The Golden Age. Similar to The Golden Age, New Frontier takes place primarily in the 1950s, and depicts the Golden Age superheroes Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman meeting the The Flash, Green Lantern, and Martian Manhunter. The story bridges the gap from the end of the Golden Age to the beginning of the Silver Age of comic books in the DC Universe.

superman-seasons.jpg

This was an almost Rockwellian look at the formative years of Clark Kent/Superman. Written by Loeb and drawn by Sale, I was pleasently surprised at how good of a story it was.

The picking is a little confusing right now. I didn't get a message or anything but I know Im after Stevie, so here are my round 7 and 8 picks anyways.

First off I was hoping that this one would be around for a later round pick and that "gamble" paid off. Im going with Claremont and Millers classic Wolverine mini-series.

Wolverine.jpg

One of the better Wolverine stories out there with Wolverine in Japan fighting Ninjas and the like! Wolverine + Ninja = AWESOME!

The second pick is one of the biggest series that came about for a while and changed the Marvel landscape "forever", or at least so they claim, still to early to really tell, we know they wussed out on the Spider-Man aspect of it though.

civilwar.jpg

Super hero on super hero madness, whose side are you on and all that other good stuff, its the storyline that above all else made me into an Iron Man fan.

I'm going to take a short run ....

david.jpg

Peter David's first run on X-Factor (71-89)

This goes along with JLI as one of the best books with minor characters. Fun stuff that is Quesada's best work and gives us one of the best ever single issues where the team pays a visit to Doc Sampson.

Sorry for not updating the board, was a crazy weekend, but it is now updated.

Vampiro, if no one else picks that series, you may either keep that as your pick or choose something else.

superman-seasons.jpg

This was an almost Rockwellian look at the formative years of Clark Kent/Superman. Written by Loeb and drawn by Sale, I was pleasently surprised at how good of a story it was.

I am keeping it.

LLGC missed his pick, so I'm going now. My pick will be the Busiek/Perez era Avengers. They hit the ground running with a story arc that had almost every Avenger, and built up to the ultimate Ultron story. Great all around

1-1.jpg

For my next two picks, I'm going woth books I have yet to actually read. Or finish reading rather.

Fables

Fables.png

I've read about the first 15-20 issues of this, which were good and for some reason stopped, and I've only heard good things since, so, if I'm on a desert island why not catch up with something good I haven't read yet? The same goes for

Birds of Prey

Birdsofpreybloodandcircuits.jpg

With this, unlike Fables, I've read the first few issues, skipped a few, read again, rinse, repeat. And I would like to read what's gone on since OYL, which I haven't had a chance to really catch up on.

With my next pick I will choose the trade of the first Flash story I ever read...

The Return of Barry Allen.

cover-rba-tpb.png

300px-Kick-Ass_Vol_1_2.jpg

Kick-Ass by Mark Millar and John Romita Jr.

This kind of goes along the lines of something that I currently/love enjoy, but this book is so brutally violent and funny I can't pass.