TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cran Da Maniac

Desert Island Draft, Comics Edition

My next pick is one of the all time great Green Lantern Stories

GreenLantern-1.jpg

Emerald Dawn

One of the best origin stories ever told. Period.

And for my final pick

300.jpg

We all know the story, 300 Spartans vs. The Persian Army.

I'm going to go old school....

adams.jpg

Green Lantern #76-87 by Dennis O'Neil and Neal Adams

Super hero comics at their finest. Probably the brightest spotlight and creative team of DC in the 1970s.

300.jpg

We all know the story, 300 Spartans vs. The Persian Army.

Or, if you've only watched the movie - 300 Spartans vs Take a Shit Guy's Army.

My final pick coming up shortly.

Na I read the book, it would be silly to make it my last pick if I didn't right? Either love the movie but as per usual the book is better.

Alright, my next pick is a fairly popular book from the past few years. It only ran 50 issues before they wanted to put the characters in new books, but if that is too long let me know and I will try to figure out a smaller portion of it to do:

1-1.jpg

Cable and Deadpool

Gotta love that Liefeld cover. No feet, a modified Badd Blaster, miniature heads, Cable is twice as large as Deadpool and seemingly ready to sodomize Wade...

Gotta love that Liefeld cover. No feet, a modified Badd Blaster, miniature heads, Cable is twice as large as Deadpool and seemingly ready to sodomize Wade...

Yeah, not the best cover, but I figured I'd just put the cover for the first issue. I really didn't notice the potential sodomy until you said so and now I will have an even harder time looking at that cover.

LLGC, I'm going to disallow that pic, not for any other basis other then that the cover you chose is really bad Liefeld art.

Anybody else notice how the gun seems to change shape. The opening is circular, but the end is an elongated oval.

And I'm a bit busy this week, with finals and a paper due, so feel free to skip me.

And LLGC, the pick is ok by me.

Scratch that, I'm going to make my pick now

astonishxmen10295.jpg

X-Men: Age of Apocalypse.

This was pretty revolutionary at the time. They cancelled and relaunched the X-Books, killed Prof. X. Had a new reality and it was a rip roaring adventure.

Anybody else notice how the gun seems to change shape. The opening is circular, but the end is an elongated oval.

More fun with Rob - his left arm looks like it's attached to his backpack. Which seems quite big for a guy who can teleport back home and has no need to carry camping supplies with him.

I am going with the current Death of Captain America arc. In my mind it is the best book Marvel is producing.

cap-death.jpg

This arc goes from issue 25-current for those wondering.

A damn fine pick. I agree its the best book Marvel is putting out

A damn fine pick. I agree its the best book Marvel is putting out

Yeah, Epting has always been a solid artist, not too flashy but always gets the job done. Unfortunately he never really got the exposure that some inferior artists have gotten, and before Capt America I want to say his biggest run was on Bob Harras's Avengers, and the less said about that the better.

There was a CrossGen stint in between there, but based on the heroes/TPB drafts, it would appear that noone (myself included) gives a shit about Crossgen.

But yeah the Harras Avengers was his first big gig. Even now you can see the influence longtime Avengers inker Tom Palmer had on Epting.

For my last pick, I'm going with

The Boys

The_Boys_-1.jpg

This is sort of a blind pick for me, as I don't know how good or bad the series has become. I was only able to catch the first few issues, and I loved the mature nature of them, and the story overall was entertaining to me. It helped that when they said they were going to crush someone's skull...they showed it. And hopefully, it's only gone higher from the first few issues.

Wasn't there some stuff that went down about Crossgen towards the end. I remember hearing about it, but can't remember the exact details

I believe that it was something along the lines of not paying people.

adams.jpg

Super hero comics at their finest. Probably the brightest spotlight and creative team of DC in the 1970s.

Is that the Speedy on heroine arc?

adams.jpg

Is that the Speedy on heroine arc?

Yes it was.

And also the arc that gave us the classic moment where a black man goes up to GL and says "I heard all about what you did for the purple people, and seen you out with the orange man, but why don't you care about the black man" or something along those lines.