TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RedJed

Victory Road 08 Thoughts

Figure I might as well start a thread on this since its coming up later tonight. Apparently, the advance for the live gate is stronger than any TNA show so far, as three of the four price ranges are all sold out, and the only ones left are the cheap seats. With that said, I don't know how this translates into how many people will be there, as I'm unfamiliar with the capacity for Reliant Arena or whatever this is going to be from. But with people actually purchasing tickets en masse, it should be a hot crowd. The main event is actually strong on paper, and mixing in the two X Cup matches make this one a no brainer to order. There isnt any real filler matches or BS on this show, either.

Here is the final card, note the news on how the X Cup matches are going to happen and who's in each as TNA recently released who was in what X Cup matches:

TNA WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP

SAMOA JOE © vs. BOOKER T

(This is a match I'm really looking forward to, most anticipated TNA match for me since Joe/Angle in the cage. While I find it highly doubtful for this to occur, I wouldn't mind Booker T as champion for awhile, maybe til Bound For Glory. Nash could easily turn on Joe anytime here, and he could run-in to cost Joe the match and the title. Another idea, considering this is going to be in Booker's hometown, is Joe turning heel as well. Again, that's highly unlikely but since Booker is going to be getting the cheers anyway tonight, they may explore the idea since Joe's babyface title reign has been kind of just there with no spark. The logical result is just to have Joe go over, but possibly not completely clean to keep Booker in the title hunt)

FAN'S REVENGE MATCH FOR THE TNA TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP

The Latin American Xchange © vs. Robert Roode & "Cowboy" James Storm

(I wouldn't be shocked to see Beer Money, Inc. win the belts here, and this feud continuing. At first, I wasn't feeling the Roode/Storm combination but thanks to a few strong angles lately, I've gotten into them a bit)

FAN'S PICK THE STIP - SIX MAN TAG TEAM WAR:

AJ Styles, Christian Cage & Rhino vs. Kurt Angle & Team 3D

(It's all but a given that this match will be a TLC match, via the online voting, and it should be interesting to see what crazy shit Angle does this time around. Your token hardcore match of the ppv, and it should probably deliver. The other match gimmick ideas is a tables match and a falls count anywhere match, btw. I would imagine they will do the glass tables spot again tonight at some point too. )

THE FINALS OF THE WORLD X CUP TOURNAMENT

Featuring the return of the Ultimate X Match

Plus, a World X Cup Elimination Match

Team TNA vs. Team Japan vs. Team Mexico vs. Team International

The 12 man scramble cibernetico style (elimination) match will start the show and will feature these names....

MCMG & Curry Man (TNA) v. Doug Williams, Tyson Dux, and Alex Kozlov (Intl) v. Ultimo Guererro, Ray Bucanero, and Averno, I believe (Mexico) v. Milano Collection AT, Masato Yoshino, and Taichi Ishikari (Japan)

(This should be an amazing opener given the talent in this match. Expect some wild spots for sure, and more than likely a decent amount of time given.)

Ultimate X will feature Kaz vs. Naruki Doi vs. Volador, Jr. vs. Daivari

(Another match that should be pretty good, especially with Doi in there, and Volador, Jr is real good too. Kaz will probably win this and Team TNA will win the X Cup, although since Doug Williams and Daviari are staying after this show, I wouldn't mind Team International actually winning the Cup and feuding with the MCMG out of this or something)

GRUDGE MATCH

"Black Machismo" Jay Lethal w/ SoCal Val vs. "The Guru" Sonjay Dutt

(I'm expecting Val to help Lethal win the match, since this feud really has no legs and I think this should be the blowoff in some capacity. After the match though, and this could happen on Impact too, I can totally see Val going heel and hooking up with some heel to manage)

KNOCKOUTS WOMEN'S CHAMPIONSHIP

Taylor © vs. Awesome Kong w/ Raisha Saeed

(The Impact match was pretty good, and I am thinking this should be just as good, if not better. Question is if the heat will be the same as before since Kong is not chasing the title. I wouldnt expect the chase to last long at all though, and Kong will likely go over here and get back the belt. A feud with her and Roxxi seems imminent)

TNA KNOCKOUTS MATCH

Gail Kim vs. Angelina Love

(I would think Gail Kim loses via some sort of screwjob.)

I'm completely torn on the Main Event. On one hand, it's probably too early to take the belt off of Joe...and he should definitely be one half of the BFG main event in October...

But...man...Booker has just been freaking great lately. And I always prefer a heel champion.

I think Joe will win...but I think I might be rooting for Booker.

The rest of the show looks like we're gonna get 3 solid hours of wrestling. If they can keep the nonsense endings to a minimum...this should actually be a hell of a show.

Well...I don't think Booker's going to win. I think the show should turn out pretty good just because all of the matches are loaded with good workers...

But I think Booker's losing.

It's one of those problems that TNA has from time to time with the title picture. They like long title reigns for the World title (which is a positive)...but every once in a while they find something that gets over more than I think they're planning on (witness Monty Brown years ago, Joe for a long time before they pulled the trigger, and now heel Booker) and they aren't flexible to changing their plans.

I think Booker's the best thing going in the company at the moment. He comes accross like he's a level above everyone else (which he deserves a boatload of credit for...since he was "just another guy" literally a week after joining the company).

However...I think TNA's plan is for Joe to beat him...which works for Joe proving himself...but I kinda just want Booker to be champion right now

TNA WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP

SAMOA JOE © vs. BOOKER T

I see Booker getting over Joe in this with some help from Stinger or backstage. I think it's too early to take the strap, but believe they will shake things up after Raw has crowned up and comers

FAN'S REVENGE MATCH FOR THE TNA TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP

The Latin American Xchange © vs. Robert Roode & "Cowboy" James Storm

LAX retains for now. But watch out for Beer Money down the road. There is legit magic with this team and creative has caught lightening in a bottle with them. Fantastic how many great teams in TNA now. look at Raw. No established teams and their Tag team belts are basically an afterthought now.

FAN'S PICK THE STIP - SIX MAN TAG TEAM WAR:

AJ Styles, Christian Cage & Rhino vs. Kurt Angle & Team 3D

Styles and crew should win this one, time for them to kill the AJ/Angle feud and move on. Should be some sick spots in this one and will likely become an instant classic (pun intended) Anyone else LOVE Bubba as a monster heel? This guy, when used properly could become a #1 Heel. His mic skills (minus the Brooklyn accent) are top notch.

THE FINALS OF THE WORLD X CUP TOURNAMENT

Featuring the return of the Ultimate X Match

Plus, a World X Cup Elimination Match

Team TNA vs. Team Japan vs. Team Mexico vs. Team International

The 12 man scramble cibernetico style (elimination) match will start the show and will feature these names....

MCMG & Curry Man (TNA) v. Doug Williams, Tyson Dux, and Alex Kozlov (Intl) v. Ultimo Guererro, Ray Bucanero, and Averno, I believe (Mexico) v. Milano Collection AT, Masato Yoshino, and Taichi Ishikari (Japan)

If given enough time, with that much talent in the ring this becomes the top match of the PPV. I like Internationl in this one.

Ultimate X will feature Kaz vs. Naruki Doi vs. Volador, Jr. vs. Daivari

I know I'm going aginst most everyone else on this, but I like Naruki Doi in this one for the win. I think they play of the Kaz injury from Thurday to allow someone else to win. I just can't see TNA winning 3 straight years. if Doi doesn't win, I like Daivari in this and TNA in the elim. match.

GRUDGE MATCH

"Black Machismo" Jay Lethal w/ SoCal Val vs. "The Guru" Sonjay Dutt

Jay Lethal in this one, but I think after the X cup they push this storyline even more, with Val turning on Jay for Dutt. Man... I wish Sonjay was in love with Jay instead. While gross, it would have made for great TV. Guess society isn't ready for that yet.

KNOCKOUTS WOMEN'S CHAMPIONSHIP

Taylor © vs. Awesome Kong w/ Raisha Saeed

Kong destroys. All is right with the world... I wanna see Kong vs. Moose in a Bimbo brawl!!!

TNA KNOCKOUTS MATCH

Gail Kim vs. Angelina Love

I like Gail here, but honestly this whole storyline has bored the piss outta me. Likely ending is a decent match with Gail on top. Dream ending is Velvet losing her top.

Mind sharing? :-)

I want to watch this show for Booker, but if he loses, I will have felt ripped off.

I hope Angle doesn't do something stupid tonight

I guess this belongs in the Impact thread but since they reaired it on the preview show, I'll mention it here.

I really hated how the KO Title match ended. Kong was rolled up w/ no pressure at all on her upper body. No reason she couldn't have rolled a shoulder up. I have no clue why they couldn't have her miss an avalanche and have her hit her head on the post or even just the buckle. Something to daze her, not have someone get out of a powerbomb attempt just to get pinned on a super weak rollup.

I guess this belongs in the Impact thread but since they reaired it on the preview show, I'll mention it here.

I really hated how the KO Title match ended. Kong was rolled up w/ no pressure at all on her upper body. No reason she couldn't have rolled a shoulder up. I have no clue why they couldn't have her miss an avalanche and have her hit her head on the post or even just the buckle. Something to daze her, not have someone get out of a powerbomb attempt just to get pinned on a super weak rollup.

Kong hitting her head and getting pinned wouldn't send her into a psycho "WTF" rage like getting pinned with a lame roll-up would. I think a lot of it was played that Kong didn't understand what the hell since usually the person go up, she brings em down hard. Having someone just get out of her usual bang bang move of death seemed to have shocked her and she didn't even TRY to kick out.

I think it's going to add a much more fun dynamic to Kong going completely nuts to get her belt back.

As soon as I saw the fans come down the aisle w/ LAX shirts for the LAX/Beer Money match, I would have bet $100 they were paid off by Roode.

Is that what they're calling Roode and Storm? Genius!

Joe lowblowing a ref = funny. But I don't see why they were out there anyways...it is a sanctioned match, so I don't see why they'd try and stop because he was punching him..

Unless the bell rung at some point, and I didn't notice

That was shit. Did any ref call for a DQ? It was a fuckin mess.

I'm quite fearful somehow they'll recognize a title change on Impact since no officials were present leaving the wife of a guy w/ a key to the city of Houston next in charge.

What the fuck was that?

I was hoping they'd DQ Joe and award it to Booker. But why didn't Sharmell wake up a ref and have them count the pin?

It's no wonder that TNA can't expand past the same people that will continue to watch it no matter what. Every single time I come anywhere close to totally falling for TNA and becoming an actual fan of their product, they do something like this that totally reminds me why I've never totally jumped on that ship.

I was interested in that main event, I cared about the outcome, but now I really don't give a shit.

So Booker is champ via DQ, right?

It's funny, I was just saying on IRC that TNA title matches on PPV are pointless when we know the company has long term goals (which isn't a bad thing necessarily), then I realized they can always do hot shot angles to undo PPV results so they can continue towards a Joe/Nash title match.

If they had to have a clusterfuck cliffhanger so bad, they could have had Cornette come out (yeah, I know he wasn't there) to get Joe off Booker and have him get clocked by Joe, then have Sting come 1/2 way down the aisle to stare Joe down as the ppv came to a close.