TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

This Week in Baseball 7/14 - 7/20

I've been as down about the derby as anyone in recent years, but this made me stop everything I was doing. I haven't been in this much awe about anything baseball related in a long time. Like him or not, it's tough not to feel good for the guy.

I'd say everyone appreciated it but somewhere alkeiper silently shook his fist at the demise of Abreu's record.

Abreu had 25 a few years ago, Czech, but honestly no one else has even been close to that. Hamilton was in 2nd all-time when he was at 19.

And he catches a lot of flack around here, but I like seeing Milton Bradley having such a great time out there. He's been in the wrong plenty of times, but I think his rep has made him an unfair target in recent years. He's one of the few non-Cubs I really like to see do well.

I'm so glad I switched from RAW just in time to watch Hamilton enter the zone in the Home Run Derby. He just became a part of Yankee Stadium history and should be hearing from some movie agents ( TV Movie of the week minimum) after this.

Roy Hobbs 2008

Guest The Elements of Style

Well, here's the catalyst for his relapse.

I'd say everyone appreciated it but somewhere alkeiper silently shook his fist at the demise of Abreu's record.

Abreu had 25 a few years ago, Czech, but honestly no one else has even been close to that. Hamilton was in 2nd all-time when he was at 19.

Nope, didn't even watch it. Real baseball in Williamsport was a much better option.

To Spiff, the Cubs actually had 12 ex-Phillies that season.

Genius, I'm sure there are other Hamilton fans here because we have a handful of Reds fans. I loved the guy last year, and I hope he has a tremendous career.

Maybe it's just me, but I think it'd be funny as hell to see them tease Papelbon coming out at the end of the game tonight before they bring out Rivera. Just something to make the All-Star game a little more interesting.

Wanted to add a couple quick notes about the games themselves yesterday.

-Steve Susdorf went 4-6 with three doubles, raising his average to .412 in his first five games. Susdorf was one of the outfielders for NCAA champs Fresno St. I get the feeling he's Lakewood bound before long.

-Travis D'Arnaud looks like a very strong catching prospect in the near future. He's praised for his catching skills, and he's hitting .348 so far in 25 games. (It's a half season league so they just kicked off in late June.) It strikes me though that he really looks like a kid yet.

-No comments on the pitchers, Williamsport does not display radar readings and I don't have the type of scouting eye to spots things this far from the Majors.

-The NY-Penn League is a different experience but it is a lot of fun. Everyone is very approachable.

i never realized how much of an attention whore david ortiz is. like school in summer - no class. let hamilton enjoy his shit. doesn't come strolling across home plate to put yourself in the spotlight. what a loser.

Red SOCK. He's a Red SOCK. How many more times do we have to go over this? The singular of Sox is Sock. Sox is Socks. Socks minus s is Sock. I can't take it anymore, I just can't.

Your avatar has never seemed more appropriate then.

I think what was most bothersome about Ortiz wasn't that he walked across the field during Hamilton's turn. It's that he didn't do anything. I kept waiting for something to happen, even after he'd gone into the dugout. Though it sounds contradictory, doing absolutely nothing made him seem like more of an attention-getting tactic than if he'd done anything.

Damn that was impressive by Hamilton. That's just a genuinely awesome story and I hope he does well tonight. Should be fun.

Oh and am I the only person on the planet who watches the Celebrity Softball game? I love that shit.

Red SOCK. He's a Red SOCK. How many more times do we have to go over this? The singular of Sox is Sock. Sox is Socks. Socks minus s is Sock. I can't take it anymore, I just can't.

I thought about it before I posted that and I was pretty sure it's Red Sox. I mean, why don't they use Red Socks?

I usually just ignore the petty stuff that Czech routinely bitches about, but I agree with him on this one.

I thought about it before I posted that and I was pretty sure it's Red Sox. I mean, why don't they use Red Socks?

Because the etymology of Boston and Chicago's A.L. teams is as follows: the teams were originally the Red and White Stockings, resp., but the newspapers shortened "Stockings" to "Sox" for brevity in headlines. (Why they did, I don't know, but they did. Think "Hix Nix Stix Flix." ) Both teams assumed the shortened nicknames as official names eventually, becoming the Red Sox and White Sox, again, Sox being short for socks, or stockings. Therefore, "Sox" is not a collective singular like "Jazz," "Heat," or "Avalanche," but rather simply the plural of sock, with "cks" rendered with an X not unlike how Vince Russo made everything that ended with an S end in Z backed when he booked the WWF. 25 White Stockings, one White Stocking. 25 Red Sox, one Red Sock. The clumsy-ass "a member of the _____" construction need not be used when referring to players in the major leagues or the NFL, and we can thank our lucky stars for that. To refer to Jason Varitek as "a Red Sox" is no less ridiculous than referring to Jorge Posada as "a Yankees." As for the Orlando Magic, the less said, the better.