TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  

WWE Raw (7/14/2008)

The July 14th edition of Monday Night Raw last night drew a 3.2 rating, which is down from the 3.5 it has had the last three weeks.

Waiting for people to blame Punk in 3...2...

Blame Josh Hamilton.

People like the former drug addict over the straight edge superstar.

Maybe a month or so with a bunch of guest GMs coming in and failing to restore order might've been fun

This is a good idea, I think, and there's no reason why they couldn't still do it. Next week, Shane and Steph announce someone as the new GM, they come out at the start of the show an try to lay down the law, then someone like Cena basically tells them to fuck off and knocks them out. Show continues as it has the past few weeks.

They can toss a couple potential GM's to the wolves over the weeks, each one being unable to get things under control, until someone manages to and they stay GM.

Yeah, I guess.

I'm really just trying think of ways they can not end this no GM bit. I really enjoy it; I had actually stopped watching RAW, started again when CM punk won the belt, and have been watching it since. If they go back to the same kinda shows they had before Punk won, blah.

I don't know what's more humiliating, that Beth beat Santino or that it only took her 2 minutes to do it. Santino is done.

I don't know what's more humiliating, that Beth beat Santino or that it only took her 2 minutes to do it. Santino is done.

It was a fluke roll-up. It isn't like she powered him into a Dragon Clutch and made him tap out.

Even though I didn't mind the ending of Raw as much as most, I was thinking today how it could have been much better if they would have just done Cena getting run over by JBL limo or something outside of the arena instead of the attempt to outright murder Cena. Sure, the angle they did was just a more insane version of the idea proposed, but it would have seemed a little more realistic if Cena (or if they were even scared to risk injury, have a stunt double do it) would have just bumped off the limo, selling more of an injury then at the ppv too. It worked well when Eddie Gilbert ran over Lawler in Memphis so long ago, would have been a nice homage to it, in a way. But I suppose they thought they already did it once with Austin getting run over, so they probably felt they had to "top" that.

Also, I'm thinking, judging by the nature of how Steph and Shane are acting on camera, that Regal will be re-instated as GM next week and immediately start feuding with Punk, who will likely retain against Batista when Kane runs-in, setting up Batista/Kane as another main program after the ppv. Keep in mind Regal beat Punk in the KOTR final back a few months ago, so they can play upon that Regal has already handed Punk a major loss and is a threat with the power he'll regain again as GM.

Right before Regal got suspended, that proverbial iron was hot for Regal to really get over as a upper level heel, so they might as well not waste any time when he returns to try to catch that again.

On the rating... The MLB HR derby did a big number.

And I don't think total nonstop cena the week before helped matters either. Maybe...just maybe...a grown man writing "poop" on another mans car doesn't lead to retaining viewership.

On the rating... The MLB HR derby did a big number

I switched from RAW to the MLB HR derby when my friend told me Hamilton was just cracking them out of the park left and right.

It was a fluke roll-up. It isn't like she powered him into a Dragon Clutch and made him tap out.

That makes this even sadder. There was no effort made to make Beth a face. She only needs two minutes to get a "fluke" pin after getting in most of the offense. I don't think it was a fluke at all, either. I mean, what exactly did Santino do to dominate the match to justify Beth getting a lucky victory? Phoenix had an answer for everything. They were even for the tie-up, he couldn't even push her down. SHE out-flexed him (she got the bigger pop). He tries to take her down, she rolls him over and starts punching his lights out. He puts on a headlock, she counters for an atomic drop. Then SHE knocks him down. Then SHE bodyslams him for a nearfall. He manages to to get her to the ropes, but SHE outsmarts him to get the EASY pin. She dominated that match. Santino never stood a chance. If I had to guess, he angered somebody, because that was a burial, not a fluke.

I also think that they really messed up with santino here. Sure the match was hilarious, but it makes me wonder if they will ever make Santino a legitimate wrestler. It's getting to the point where I don't think it'll be possible without his leaving and coming back with an entirely new gimmick. Mind you, maybe they don't want him to be a serious wrestler. Maybe they prefer him to be a pure comedy act, but I wonder what kind of future he can have in the business as a pure comedy act. Incidentally, I am not anywhere near as knowledgeable as most of the people here, so maybe people can have long careers as comedy acts, but my gut instinct says that it is uncommon unless the character is a manager or something, and the WWE doesn't seem that interested in managers anymore (although Tony Atlas' current run in ECW might mean that they are interested in bringing them back).

Who would these people be? Coach, Dusty Rhodes, Eric Bischoff, Eugene?

Coach came and went. Dusty Rhodes could be interesting. Would he side with his heelish son or would he oppose him. That would make a good storyline. Bischoff and I can't see returning but I will mark out if next Raw I hear IM BACK AND BETTER THAN EVER scream out of the speakers. Bischoff was a good onscreen general manager and he seemed to be good in his heel role of "booking". Eugene I think no longer works with WWE but I would honestly pay to see him be GM just so that Santino could have a comedy feud with him. Eugene as GM could be like COOL YOURE JOHN CENA ILL GIVE YOU A MATCH etc. But I probably see Regal returning in some random thing that HAHA I'm not fired because the Queen vetoed the thing backstage or something.

Mind you, maybe they don't want him to be a serious wrestler. Maybe they prefer him to be a pure comedy act,

Nothing get by you, huh? The dude is a comedy act, and will always be a comedy act. He's 1 step above Jamie Noble (who is way better than Santino) in the Raw pecking order. Who cares if he loses to Beth Phoenix? He'll just go out, do his "comedy", and nobody will remember.

Who would these people be? Coach, Dusty Rhodes, Eric Bischoff, Eugene?

Coach came and went. Dusty Rhodes could be interesting. Would he side with his heelish son or would he oppose him. That would make a good storyline. Bischoff and I can't see returning but I will mark out if next Raw I hear IM BACK AND BETTER THAN EVER scream out of the speakers. Bischoff was a good onscreen general manager and he seemed to be good in his heel role of "booking". Eugene I think no longer works with WWE but I would honestly pay to see him be GM just so that Santino could have a comedy feud with him. Eugene as GM could be like COOL YOURE JOHN CENA ILL GIVE YOU A MATCH etc. But I probably see Regal returning in some random thing that HAHA I'm not fired because the Queen vetoed the thing backstage or something.

Nick Dinsmore is currently in OVW as himself, not Eugene, but I'm not sure if OVW is still a dev territory for WWE? I heard something about WWE distancing themselves from OVW, but at the official website of OVW there's a schedule of many WWE superstars who will be special guests. Anyone knows what's the situation?

Sheesh, the Raw rating was down 0.3 this week mainly due to the Home Run Derby. Even I got seriously caught up in the Hamilton stuff and missed the Beth/Santino match (no biggie), maybe a bit of other stuff. If the rating goes down again the day after a PPV, then it might be a warning sign.

Maybe I'm the only one who feels this way, but Regal's run as GM was possibly the worst WWE TV this year. Him turning out the lights and all that crap was just horrible, didn't draw a good type of heat, and if anything made me wonder if he might try that crap on a PPV where people had spent money to see the matches. The only way I'd want Regal back as GM is if they do a storyline where everyone still acts insane and he is baffled as to how to control it.

Jake The Snake's RAW Review

RAW Review: July 14, 2008

Opening as usual, recap of last week. And pumping the PPV. Still some nice footage of some of the old timers. That's what happens when you sign off and they own the footage. Some of these guys are probably turning in their graves. But I still like it.

Shane and Stephanie doing their spiel. Only thing I can say is Grecian formula, try it, you'll like it, Shane.

The show, first match, Mickey James vs Katie Lea Burchill with brother Paul at ringside.

These girls worked their butts off, did some great moves but not much on timing. Katie does take the time to work on character--definitely the more polished of the two. Solid and stiff performance. Wonder how many injuries have happened due to just not enough ring time, and the fact that they rush everything trying to get too much in? Katie loses and then brother Paul and her attack Mickey. Oh my gosh, surprise, Kofi Kingston comes to save the day.

When coming back from commercial break, impromptu Intercontinental Match already in progress. Paul vs Kofi, set up from the attack last week and brought to a head with Paul attacking Mickey, and Kofi asking for it after save.

A very good match, by both men, actually a good wrestling match. Paul grounded Kofi and made him show that he could wrestle. But it looked like he had a hard time getting into position to apply holds. Just inexperience.

Paul shows tenacity works hard, like a heel should and doesn't go down on the first shot. He made Kofi earn what he got, made it believable, got some heat, and gave him a good comeback. Paul does some blocking which doesn't hurt, because he doesn't over sell it. I really enjoyed this nice surprise and how about a match with no ring entrance?

Santino against Beth Phoenix.

Oh well, should have known, two good matches in a row just wasn't going to happen.

Vince I will tell you now, you are missing the boat with Santino, because he can work. Not that the others can't and many aren't capable, but I have stated in the past the great ones take impossible ideas and make them work. He did it and for those who think you have to win them all--wrong. He came out of this with more heat than he entered with. Fairly good job by both. Slam by Beth was different, I hope I don't see that again, and fans did you notice how he was beaten? With the most devastating hold today ? The crippling schoolboy.

Kelly Kelly vs ?....Dibiase and Rhodes come down instead. Mic skills not that bad, creating a team of young men we can all dislike. Disrespectful, arrogant, talented, and good looking. They both took after their Mothers. Duggan came down, always great to see him, tried to bring the boys attention back and of course they humiliated him. I hope they both know he could mop the floor with both of them, at the same time, without breaking a sweat. And Jim, you have never dropped your head like a sad cow in your life. And damned sure didn't look comfortable.

Attaching JBL to these two could help them. Although they are sure to be tossed around later, but boys, that's paying your dues. Lets see how you handle this. Oh, by the way, did you like Kelly's match? A great ring entrance.

CM Punk vs Kane

Is this a warm up to show that he can actually wrestle Batista? I certainly hope not. Kane really did do something special to make this work. Threw some great stuff grabbing a hold after great drop kick with CM sitting on his BUTT. Of course, he didn't give it the respect it deserved. Still Kane made this work. Finish see CM, I told you--you can't pick them all up. And think you would have had a better move to use for the count out.

Aftermath, well done by Kane, saved by Batista, would have liked to seen Kane get away with heat. All this, I'm sure and pray that they are turning CM heel. As he would have a better chance of getting over, and at least he wouldn't have to change his outfit. Kane has certainly brought his contribution to a new level. Sometimes a story makes one's creative juices flow and that is what I am seeing in Kane. He deserves it, and the WWE needs it. Something happened in this match that also happened in the second match. Do you know?

Edge and Vicki G getting married on Smackdown, Friday, waiting for invitation, but Thank God, it got lost in the mail.

Chris Jericho and Paul London.

Guess the attacks by Shawn earlier had no effect and didn't even leave a scratch on him. Still pushing the jealousy angle--that I like. Shawn, not a hair out of place, but at least he looked like hell.

Jamie Noble vs Snitski

Set up has lesson to be learned for young men. Don't let pride and lust for a woman get your ass kicked. Snitski looked good with broken nose. Just a win for him, to get a little something back so he can do the favor when needed. Noble does his gimmick well. Don't know about you, but my time, I've met a million just like him, no, not all of them were wrestlers.

JBL, C. Rhodes,T Dibiase vs Cena, Cryme Tyme

At least no limo. That's a blessing. Cena starts with C. Rhodes--whatever happened to locking up and getting the hold, or to the heel throwing the first punch or kick? Oh the times have changed. Check the ring attire, heels dress like wrestlers, the babies like thugs. When you start a match kicking, punching , and doing finish maneuvers, where do you go from there? No where but down. The heels were doing the wrestling, and not easy to get heat on a thug, but they didn't give up. And it's happened, the same freak thing occurred and 2nd and 4th match, is also appearing in this one. Hope it goes all the way and is capitalized on. JBL taking ref trying to give Ted and Cody opportunity to get cheap heat from outside--they didn't. Maybe they don't know or just too excited. Rhodes gave great move with missed bulldog but then got up and delivered punch to Cena to stop the tag. It was milked properly but would have been better if he had tagged out and let the fresh heel do it. Tag made comeback given by Rhodes and Dibiase - JBL avoids Cena and then gets DQ'd for the save. Damn! A DQ on a save.

Afterbirth, all I can say is won't the murder of Cena hurt the PPV?? What a stinking way to end a decent show.

Tonight we've had a DQ, a count out, a girl-boy match, a lost match, an impromptu match, and Noble non-match, no referee.

Tonight we had over 33 minutes of wrestling. A fluke? I hope not. Whatever the reason, I thank you. Still would be sweeter with more. Matches still don't get enough time, and that's how you make stars. Giving them time to establish exhibit show-ability and create character.

Now let's talk about that freak thing. Better yet, you tell me if you know.

Jake

Woah woah, Jake Roberts reviews Monday Night Raw these days? What's the website address of this?

I couldn't figure out what Jake was talking about with the "old-timers" footage because I didn't think Batista pinning Kane the week prior constituted old, classic footage, but I realized it was probably referring to the opening video signature.

Huh.

Oh, and if anyone else besides me thought "Hey, isn't that Ric Flair's daughter Ashley on camera behind the announcers?" during the beginning of Raw (and I'm sure I wasn't the only one who watched the Flair DVD recently), yes, it was indeed her.

I really think Raw has been fun the past 3 weeks. I really like this direction of having anarchy stand supreme, and there is no established order. I think the opening segments with the McMahons telling everybody to act professional, and then we get crazy chaos is really funny. Its also going to be funny if they put a GM on the show to try and store some order, and everything is still out of control.

Something happened in this match that also happened in the second match. Do you know?

Any ideas? Second match was Kofi vs Burchill. So what happened in the Kofi/Burchill match that also happened in Kane vs Punk?

The heel made the face "earn what he got, made it believable, got some heat, and gave him a good comeback" aka did their jobs to build up the new champs who need quality wins. In the ME, Rhodes and DiBiase got the rub from simply being in the ME while they took nothing away from Cena and CT. It's basically old school booking, and it still works.

Some Too Big for the WON ratings notes from F4Wonline:

- The rating really is being attributed to the Home-Run Derby (it did a huge rating for ESPN).

- Punk vs. Kane gained 679,000 viewers to a 3.57. Jericho vs. London and the Noble/Layla/Snitsky deal lost 688,000 viewers (that's good news for Punk).

- Cena & Cryme Tyme vs. JBL & Rhodes & DiBiase gained 1,117,000 although that also includes the gains of the post-match parking lot deal, ending at 3.80.

Funny that as I was writing this, "Cult of Personality" came on the radio.

I'm glad to see that people are interested in Punk as champion. Raw is a show that has quite a bit of stuff going on right now. Pretty much everyone on that show is involved with something interesting. Its scary that ever since HHH got sent to SD, that show seems very much a Raw episode from 2002-early 2008, in that there is nothing going on besides the main event program. I mean, I've noticed on SD the past few weeks that anything not involving Edge or HHH has no point. It just seems like random matches just put together, with no other feuds going on.

I used to hardly watch RAW live over the last few months. I turn it on, get bored and end up surfing the web till I went to bed. Then I'd wake up, download RAW, watch it in about 20-25 minutes when I got home from work and school. Now, the last few weeks I've actually watched the entire show live. Maybe it's because new people are getting top level exposure and it doesn't feel stale as hell.