TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RedJed

Impact Spoilers for 7/17

TNA iMPACT! Taping Results - (7/17)

Orlando, Florida

Report by Mike Johnson of PWInsider.com

Impact opens with Booker and Sharmell getting out of a limo with the TNA title over his shoulder. They come come to the ring he cuts a promo about how he's the greatest champ of all time and Samoa Joe can't beat him. Jim Cornette comes out and says Booker can't declare himself champ and he needs to give it back to the real TNA champion, Joe. Joe comes out and tells booker to keep the belt, he doesn't want handouts because he's still champ and will see him at Hard Justice.

Beer Money are backstage and says tonight, its not fan revenge its beer money revenge because they are going after the fans too.

Kaz is backstage with Jeremy Borash and is upset and says he feels like he let everyone down at the PPV but there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Kaz vs. TNA X-Division champion Petey Williams sees Williams winning.

There is an Eric Young backstage with JB, but the promo is inaudible to the live audience.

Matt Morgan defeated Jimmy Rave in a real short match, maybe 1 minute tops. Post match, Lance Hoyt comes out and says maybe Morgan should mess with the other guy in the band, match starts and Morgan defeats Hoyt.

Backstage the Knockouts are screaming at Cornette and he announces a 10 girl Knockouts battle royal for the show with the winner facing TNA Knockouts Champion Taylor Wilde but it was unclear when that title match would take place, next week or the PPV.

Team 3D and Kurt Angle come out dressed in black trench coats and masks like Sting carrying baseball bats to "welcome Sting into their fraternity". AJ Styles, Christian Cage and Rhino come out and demand a rematch. Team 3D and Angle accept a six man table match at the PPV. Christian interrupts and says they don't get to call the shots and he says the match will be next week - a 5 table elimination match.

The Knockout Battle Royal is done Royal Rumble style with Jacqueline, Gail Kim, Angelina Love, Salinas, Velvet Sky, Roxxi, Rhaka Khan, Traci Brooks, Christy Hemme and ODB. Velvet Sky is the winner.

Backstage, Booker T says he will wrestle Consequences Creed in a Stretcher match.

Backstage with Black Machismo and So Cal Val with JB. Val says she doesn't know what he (Jay) wants her to do and she can't help it that Sonjay Dutt has feelings for her.

Johnny Devine vs. Eric Young vs. Sonjay Dutt sees Dutt pin Young. Lethal comes out and attacks Dutt. Dutt grabs a chair and hits the ring post, then falls to the floor. Val thinks Lethal hit Dutt with the chair and walks out.

Beer Money comes out and are looking for fans to attack. They grab a guy in the audience wearing an LAX shirt. The refs come in and save him. They then go after Hector Guerrero, pulling him into the ring and begin whipping him with a belt. LAX comes out and chases them away and help carry out Hector.

Consequences Creed is backstage saying he's ready for Booker T

Consequences Creed vs. Booker T in a Stretcher match. Booker T wins and as Booker pushes Creed back on the stretcher, Samoa Joe was waiting in an ambulance for Booker T. They go at it.

Xplosion Match:

Curry Man defeats Kip James.

-------Although they didn't announce it yet apparently, the idea according to Meltzer for Booker/Joe at Hard Justice is supposed to be a cage match. Not sure if I agree with already doing another cage match as a gimmick since Lockdown seemed like it was just a few months ago with nothing but cage matches. Maybe they will change that idea up, we'll see.

Seemingly, little of next to nothing is official for the next ppv either, which is kind of weird. I'd imagine a gimmick added to a Beer Money/LAX tag title rematch, though, as they seem to be pushing that program like crazy still. Dutt/Lethal again, too.

I wouldn't say the build was non existant.

They're building towards Joe/Booker, Angle and 3D/Christian, Rhino and Styles, Dutt/Lethal, LAX/Beer Money, Velvet/Tyler and something to do with Kaz. My main complaint is that, apart from one, thats the same card as Victory Road.

Impact opens with Booker and Sharmell getting out of a limo with the TNA title over his shoulder. They come come to the ring he cuts a promo about how he's the greatest champ of all time and Samoa Joe can't beat him. Jim Cornette comes out and says Booker can't declare himself champ and he needs to give it back to the real TNA champion, Joe. Joe comes out and tells booker to keep the belt, he doesn't want handouts because he's still champ and will see him at Hard Justice.

Didn't they just do this with the X-Division title ?

Oh no, not more of the dreck with a guy having "physical possession" of the belt. What exactly is TNA doing with the Knockouts right now? I mean a title feud of this chick off the streets Taylor vs. Velvet Sky? I didn't see Kong mentioned in the spoilers, so what is she doing? She wasn't even one of the 10 in the Rumble.

Yeah, looks like another dropped Knockouts feud like Roxxi/BP was without Roxxi doing something more humiliating to them than they did to her.

No mention of the hinted Kong/Abyss feud either, but it's not going to lead to anything good as said earlier.

There might be backstage segments that aren't mentioned that further those storylines. Or, as TNA has done in the past, have nothing on one show and then the next set of spoilers for the following week will have a match.

Backstage with Black Machismo and So Cal Val with JB. Val says she doesn't know what he (Jay) wants her to do and she can't help it that Sonjay Dutt has feelings for her.

Is there anything more obvious than Val turning on Lethal at Hard Justice? Gotta love those ambulance angles! ;)

FYI, Angle/Duds v. Christian/Styles/Rhino and Sky v. Taylor both will happen on the next week of Impact, being taped tonight. So chances are we'll see things changed up differently at the ppv with guys like Angle, Styles, etc.

I'm not commenting on Kong/Abyss until I see what's next, if anything. Might have just been a pointless angle at the ppv to give an excuse to bring Abyss out, I dunno. Even if they work a program, I think it is interesting just because it means Kong will likely be moved more into feuding with the guys versus the chicks. Isn't that what alot of us wanted on this board months ago or did we just want to see Joe v. Kong exclusively?

Here is the point I always make when this man vs. woman crap rears its ugly head: Is Awesome Kong totally unbeatable in the women's division? No. She can't even beat some blonde skank off the streets, you're now telling me she can beat a psychopath like Abyss?

The only time this ever produced anything resembling a decent result was the Chyna/Jarrett feud in the WWF, and that was mostly because Jarrett was leaving so him jobbing was tolerable.

Here is the point I always make when this man vs. woman crap rears its ugly head: Is Awesome Kong totally unbeatable in the women's division? No. She can't even beat some blonde skank off the streets, you're now telling me she can beat a psychopath like Abyss?

The only time this ever produced anything resembling a decent result was the Chyna/Jarrett feud in the WWF, and that was mostly because Jarrett was leaving so him jobbing was tolerable.

Kong was "womenhandling" Taylor in both of their matches for the most part, and Taylor, in both cases, just applied some technical rollup out of nowhere to beat her. I don't see how Taylor's wins have buried or hurt Kong's credibility in the least, really. Did you see both of the matches they had? It wasnt just as cut and dry as "she can't even beat some blonde skank" - did you not see the weeks of absolute squashing of random chicks before such?

Is Kong unbeatable? No, but she is still a very dominant force that I think can easily trade off working against both women and guys back and forth. Her dominance in the women's division has already proven that.

Kong was "womenhandling" Taylor in both of their matches for the most part, and Taylor, in both cases, just applied some technical rollup out of nowhere to beat her. I don't see how Taylor's wins have buried or hurt Kong's credibility in the least, really. Did you see both of the matches they had? It wasnt just as cut and dry as "she can't even beat some blonde skank" - did you not see the weeks of absolute squashing of random chicks before such?

Is Kong unbeatable? No, but she is still a very dominant force that I think can easily trade off working against both women and guys back and forth. Her dominance in the women's division has already proven that.

Its so disappointing to see Kong lose the title to someone who came out of nowhere though. I mean they have her dominate an entire division just to do that? I also never like men vs. women angles in wrestling since it does neither side any good. If the man loses to the woman, it makes him look like a pussy, and if he beats her... SO WHAT? Its a woman, he should be able to beat her anyway.

Its so disappointing to see Kong lose the title to someone who came out of nowhere though. I mean they have her dominate an entire division just to do that? I also never like men vs. women angles in wrestling since it does neither side any good. If the man loses to the woman, it makes him look like a pussy, and if he beats her... SO WHAT? Its a woman, he should be able to beat her anyway.

I think it's been established that Kong isn't just like your typical female wrestler. In fact she's probably much more capable of looking credible as hell against guys than any other woman wrestler in a long time, perhaps ever. She has the size to compete against the guys, in the very least. Thinking outside the box of typical wrestling cliches, though, would be crucial to understand this whole concept.

I don't think it would really make any guy look like a "pussy" to lose to her, there's really no downside to it, the way I look at it. It will just put her over stronger as damn near a female version of a Van Vader would be the best way to describe it. Let's not use Chyna or Medusa as examples of why man v. women matches can't work, because those are two very bad examples.

And besides, Chyna's DID work. For being a fairly lousy wrestler, she was dragged to some fairly decent matches by a variety of people: Jarrett, Jericho, Eddy, Venis, etc. And the crowd didn't shit on those guys for getting beat up by a girl, they weren't buried in any way at all.

Kong doesn't even have to go over, she just has to look like she could.

Hell, book the entire angle around Abyss' decision making. Kong wants a match with Abyss, he's unwilling to fight a girl. Kong threatens to flatline some broads unless he agrees, and Abyss caves because he can't let Kong hurt innocent people for his own selfish desire to not fight her.

Get to the PPV, and Abyss lays down for her, indicating she's to pin him. She instead picks him up and kicks his ass for 5 minutes. After that, you go into a string of moves leading to near falls with Abyss routinely kicking out at the last possible second, emphasizing a conflict between his sense of pride not wanting to intentionally lose and his sense of morality not letting him beat up a girl. Finally Kong lands 3-4 massive right hands to the head and Abyss is woozy; Kong goes off the ropes and Abyss instinctively Black Hole Slams & pins her. Abyss gets up and maintains his conflicted stance; he's glad he won because she was beating the shit out of him, but he still feels bad for completely decimating a woman.

If that's not enough, maybe Kong pretends to be hurt by the Black Hole Slam & is stretchered out, only to jump off the stretcher and attack Abyss from behind when he turns his back to put over that she wasn't injured, that she's as tough as any man on the roster, and that she's not afraid of Abyss.

Also, I don't think they're heading for an Abyss/Kong fued. Abyss comes down when smaller people are getting beaten up by bigger people. He just comes out to even the score.

And besides, Chyna's DID work. For being a fairly lousy wrestler, she was dragged to some fairly decent matches by a variety of people: Jarrett, Jericho, Eddy, Venis, etc. And the crowd didn't shit on those guys for getting beat up by a girl, they weren't buried in any way at all.

This worked because it was played as COMEDY. Or the heel was actually such a scumbag(Jarrett), that you wanted to see him lose to her. I thought the Jericho/Chyna stuff was awful, because it was treated as an actual serious match that Chyna won. This killed Jericho's heat so bad that they had to do a remach with Jericho just squashing her, and trying to forget that they ever had Chyna beat him.

I also remember that awful Medusa/Evan Karagis feud for the cruiserweight title. This was bad because it was treated as being serious, and it didn't get over. We all know what happened to this company later!

I also remember that awful Medusa/Evan Karagis feud for the cruiserweight title. This was bad because it was treated as being serious, and it didn't get over. We all know what happened to this company later!

Correlation = causation?

Come on Jingus, it's an inherent fact that women are weaker than men.

They also have nothing downstairs and it doesn't hurt if you kick them below the belt. You should confirm this with one if they're not busy with the roast at the time.

Edited by King Cucaracha

Right now TNA just doesn't have a lot of interesting stuff going on. To add in my two cents on the women thing in TNA, TNA flat out does have too many women. By this I don't mean the actual women wrestlers so much, but it seems like EVERYONE on the show has some chick as a valet or feuding over a woman, whatever. They could jettison half of these useless chicks and the show would be better for it. Does Rhaka Khan have any use? Christy Hemme is hot but she's annoying as hell, so just cut her too. Salinas is worthless now that LAX has an actual manager in Hector Guerrero. How about Booker telling Sharmell to stay the fuck at home and he and Joe can have a bitter feud over a title like two grown men? I won't include Jacqueline in this since she at least has some value in the Knockouts division and with Beer Money.

Seriously, take a look at this show right now. You have Angle and Styles feuding over Karen Angle, when neither guy seems to even want her. You have Machismo and Dutt feuding over So Cal Val when both guys want her. They are running the same "two guys fighting for a chick" angle in the main event AND the undercard.

If you watch WWE they have a women's belt on both shows and that's about it as far as the female involvement on the show. Mickie James vs. Katie Lea was on Raw this week and that's it. SD now has a women's belt but it's featured about on the level a women's belt should be featured (it gets a bit of TV time, but hardly a focus). Women have a place on a wrestling show, but TNA has gone way overboard with it and I wonder if this is a reason why their male 18-35 demo is down.

I see a lot of guys in here aren't really one with women.

Seriously, take a look at this show right now. You have Angle and Styles feuding over Karen Angle, when neither guy seems to even want her. You have Machismo and Dutt feuding over So Cal Val when both guys want her. They are running the same "two guys fighting for a chick" angle in the main event AND the undercard.

I agree.

Oh no, not more of the dreck with a guy having "physical possession" of the belt

Well atleast Lethal had his title stolen by 3D/Devine.

Joe, just let Booker keep the title.

In regards to the "too many women" argument, I think it would hold more water if they weren't constantly some of the highest rated segments on the show. Doesn't happen every week, but most of the time they are the highest, and if not highest, then 90% of the time they gain viewers.

I don't disagree that some need to go, but if Jackie should stick around due her being with Beer Money, then Christy should stay as she is a good part of R&R as the annoying manager/valet, plus she can get beat up, and you can use a jobber Knockout. Khan, you have a point with as she's done nothing. Salinas the same thing. She's been useless thus far, and with Hector, I don't see her use now, unless LAX grows to a huge group.

Which Booker stole from him. Heck of a babyface right there, saying he doesn't want his stolen property returned to him because he considers it a handout.

Wouldn't the badass babyface thing to do be to just take it from Booker there and then, and then proceed to beat the shit of him?

The storyline then progressed to show that Joe was doubting himself becuase no matter how much he beat on Booker he never quit.

It would make sense that if he were doubting himself he wouldn't want the guy who he couldn't put away no matter how much he beat him, who walked out of the arena with his belt to just hand it back to him.

He wants to go out, put Booker away and walk out with his title.

I don't see the problem with that at all...especially when the story going in was that "he couldn't beat Booker"...and even though he nearly killed him...he still didn't.

Which Booker stole from him. Heck of a babyface right there, saying he doesn't want his stolen property returned to him because he considers it a handout.

Wouldn't the badass babyface thing to do be to just take it from Booker there and then, and then proceed to beat the shit of him?

That would make too much sense.

I fail to see the problem. If you watched the match and saw Joe's promo and following segment with Nash you saw that Joe destroyed Booker. That Booker offered the belt back to Joe and Joe punked him and told him he'd take it from him when he wanted to. He accused Booker of being unable to do what he did Sunday and not being the man he is. Joe was clearly in charge of that segment. He already beat the shit out of Booker so criticizing him not doing it again seems weird.

Then later in the show it was revealed that even while Nash believes in him Booker is overwhelmed by the fact that Booker wouldn't give up on Sunday no matter how bad he beat him. So the story is that Joe absolutely physically dominated Booker... and Joe disrespected Booker and shut him up saying he didn't need him to GIVE the belt back... but Joe also wants to prove to himself that he can get that belt from Booker in the ring even though he knows full well he can TAKE it from Booker.

I don't know, I just find it hard to see how Joe doesn't look strong no matter how unconventional this booking has been.

EDIT: Not to mention that Joe DID beat Booker up again at the end of the show just as he threatened he world when he told Booker that he could keep the belt as long as he understand it made him a target to "the champ."