TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  

WWE Great American Bash 2008

Edge vs. HHH for the WWE Championship

Batista vs. CM Punk for the World Heavyweight Championship

Tommy Dreamer vs. Mark Henry for the ECW Championship

Finlay & Hornswoggle vs. Jesse & Festus vs. Hawkins & Ryder vs. Miz & Morrison for the WWE Tag Team Championships

John Cena vs. JBL in a NYC Parking Lot Brawl

Shawn Michaels vs. Chris Jericho

Shelton Benjamin vs. Matt Hardy for the US Championship

Michelle McCool vs. Natalya for the Divas Championships

All champions listed last except for, well, the last match. Cause it's vacant, you know. Anyway, I'd like to see everyone's predictions prior to the show starting. Just for fun.

Thanks. Haven't been watching lately, life and a few other things have got in the way.

The storyline twist of Edge cheating on Vicky with the wedding planner is revealed as a swerve, but the all-powerful HHH is still able to overcome the odds and walks away as champion. HHH really should lose, because he's much better in the chase position and the fans get behind him much better.

Batista hammers the crap out of CM Punk for most of the match before we get a 'banana peel' finish allowing Punk to get the win and come out looking weak. The finish will show how the company feels about Punk, so if we do get that finish, or one like it, you can officially stop getting behind Punk because the company have already done so. However, if Punk looks strong in the finish, not necessarily beating Batista decisively but in a manner where he doesn't look weak, the future might still be bright for CM Punk as WHC.

Henry in a virtual squash. Who could possibly care about this one?

Finlay & Hornswoggle vs. Jesse & Festus vs. Hawkins & Ryder vs. Miz & Morrison for the WWE Tag Team Championships

Ideally, the champs retain when beating Jesse or Festus.

Cena wins, but JBL does something after the finish to keep the feud going.

This should be a total war, ending in a DDQ with a wild brawl to set up a gimmick match to blow things off at Summerslam.

Hardy wins to retain, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Shelton win.

McCool.

Given that JBL's back is hurting, I think Cena massacres him to write him off for a few months

I would agree with that, but JBL being taken out removes one of the few heels on Raw accepted at the top level. I don't know if WWE have the confidence in the heels left to remove JBL from the picture, hurt back or not.

I can't see both belts changing hands, so HHH wins by DQ.

Punk jobs. Punk jobs.

I'm a Tommy Dreamer fan. I wish he could win a match but he isn't going to win this one.

Yes, Finlay and Hornswoggle are going to win.

Cena wins with Cryme Tyme's help.

Jericho wins by a fluke.

Shelton's still employed? Hardy wins.

Natalya Wins.

I'm 50-50% here, Vickie will surely try to interfere, but not sure if that would be enough to "dethrone the King of Kings".

Punk retains 100%.

Henry squash. After all, he needs some wins as a champ now.

I expected Chavo to be placed in the US title hunt and then La Familia winning all the belts. But with Shelton instead of him, Hardy retains.

Hope Miz&Morison (M'n'M?) retain, but a fatal fourway often means champs dropping the belts without looking weak. If their title reign end means a singles push for Morrison, then I'm okay with it, but chances are slim.

Cena wins.

HBK cheats to win and Y2J rants the next RAW about that.

Michelle McCool vs. Natalya for the Divas Championship

Hope Natalya wins, but I'm leaning towards a McCool win.

This is the first PPV I'm ordering since Wrestlemania. I'm hoping that they let Shelton and Matt go ALL out (Matt's political stroke should be enough to let this be the case, no?). I'll probably be disappointed though, as every PPV this year other than Mania has been trash. Screw it, I'm hoping for the best WWE Bash ever.

HHH retains to carry the feud on to Summerslam.

I'd like to see Punk retain personally and I think the booking shows that he will, but you never know...Having Boretista go over here is a blatant burial of Punk, and 'tista doesn't need another title run. So I'm hoping that doesn't happen. I'm gonna go ahead and say Punk retains in a close match, possibly with Kane getting involved. If Punk jobs here, it'll undo all the faith I have in WWE's booking team, who has been doing a good job for the past few weeks.

Henry wins, Extreme Rules rematch on ECW next Tuesday.

No clue. I'll guess Miz and Morrison.

John Cena wins after FUing JBL through a car or something.

Jericho wins via interference by Cade.

Matt Hardy retains.

Natalya wins, though I still can't believe they're making another Women's title.

This is the first PPV I'm ordering since Wrestlemania. I'm hoping that they let Shelton and Matt go ALL out (Matt's political stroke should be enough to let this be the case, no?). I'll probably be disappointed though, as every PPV this year other than Mania has been trash. Screw it, I'm hoping for the best WWE Bash ever.

Matt Hardy has political stroke?

How have the PPVs been trash? I've enjoyed all of their PPV efforts this year.

WWE Championship

Edge Vs Triple H

-I will call for the title change right here. I know the general measure of snark is to make the appropriate Triple H Never Jobs retort but that’s not as applicable as usual. I do believe the Familia will hint the typical dissension signs but it’ll come together for a cheap and characteristically opportunistic victory for Edge.

World Championship

Batista Vs CM Punk

-CM Punk retains here. Batista will dominate this match-up as he should. There’s two probable finishes here. Punk doesn’t get the decisive finish because Punk takes a color show for this match and this leads to the standard WWE finish of the reversed referee’s decision after Batista goes overboard and tries to take out Punk for good, this would send this two into a more vicious and embroiled feud leading into Summer Slam where Batista takes the title on that night. The other possible conclusion will see a similar match-up to most big-man/smaller man match-ups with Batista dominating but Punk working to chop Batista down with a knee injury throughout the night. The finish would see Batista’s knee collapsing during the efforts of a Batista Bomb and Punk capitalizes for a victory and Batista goes Diesel on Punk’s Bret. That’s standard formula for big-man/smaller man finishes and not a bullshit ‘banana peel’ finish.

ECW Title

Mark Henry Vs Tommy Dreamer

-Originally the title wasn’t on the line, which made things slightly more in the favor of Dreamer but defense or no defense. Dreamer’s doing what he does best and that’s take a beating, make the other guy look good and take a pin. My only wish is that Henry doesn’t need the assistance of Atlas to secure a win over, of all people, Tommy Dreamer.

Finlay and Hornswoggle Vs Miz and Morrison Vs Rated Rmy Vs Jesse and Festus

-The In Crowd has been the best tag team combination in the WWE since Edge & Christian. While I would’ve enjoyed seeing them carry those belts well over a year and beyond, the probability of that happening is slim. Hopefully this won’t be the start of the usual tag team split. Miz and Morrison aren’t as complete as characters individual as they are as a team. Which team will benefit? It’ll be The Rmy since being alongside the top guy without championship goal is somewhat abnormal in these power stables.

NYC Brawl

-Yes, JBL has a devastating back injury and I can buy into the argument that this match would build around alleviating JBL’s issues by writing him off but his strong nature and importance for Raw at least for now, leads to believe he’ll still be around in some capacity on Raw. However, Cena will take the blow off victory here.

Jericho Vs Michaels

-The only acceptable finish is a non-finish crazy-ass brawl with zero resemblance to a professional wrestling match. Set up the big grudge match at Summer Slam. Use a Non-Sanctioned Street Fight stipulation to play off Shawn’s return to the business at Summer Slam 2002. Bring up how Shawn said “just one more time”…and how its six years later and Shawn’s still around going against his word.

US Title

Shelton Benjamin Vs Matt Hardy

-Shelton’s been on the receiving end of a hearty push on each brand since his much needed departure from Raw. He was never in a position to obtain a title reign on ECW but they can here with the US Title and it makes that title a fixture on Smackdown once again. Matt’s not good with a title like most faces, he’s much more talented in the chase. Regardless of the finish, this should be a fantastic opener.

DIVAS Championship

Michelle Vs Natalya

-The required piss-break match. I’ll say Michelle wins to get the belt off to a proclaimed “big” start but merely continues Natalya’s ongoing feud with her.

Edge defeats HHH; the "hidden camera" turns out to be a rouse orchestrated by Vickie/Edge.

Punk with the upset. Batista makes his complete heel turn.

Henry over Dreamer.

Miz & Morrison, as none of the others teams are seen as a real threat.

Cena wins. JBL disappears so that Batista can take the top heel spot on RAW.

Michaels over Jericho, since it's time for Batista-Michaels to be "on again."

Hardy over Benjamin in what should be an excellent match.

I'm pretty sure that this belt was created for McCool, so... her.

Triple H - They might give Edge some cover with Vickie G. working against him but otherwise, I'm seeing Pedigree City.

CM Punk - Post-draft Raw ratings have been positive, excluding this week's Derby drop. That favors a retention.

Mark Henry - Dreamer will put Henry over strong, it's what he does.

Jesse & Festus - Can't keep 'em on Miz & Morrison forever, title goes back to Smackdown.

John Cena - The man has lot more than his share of PPVs recently. He gets the win here.

Chris Jericho - HBK already has the built in "not at 100%" cover for a loss.

Shelton Benjamin - Matt Hardy can always go after Henry, title #2 goes back to Smackdown.

Natalya - Heel wins, face chases.

Predictions:

Edge vs. HHH. I think Edge wins the belt here and I'm glad to see others going along with the theory I put forth on the SD thread about the whole Alicia Fox thing being a staged ruse. I might even have HHH even wonder about it himself, but in the end still not be able to stop it.

Punk vs. Batista. Let's face it, we know Punk isn't going over in a clean, dominant manner. He really shouldn't anyway since too many fans wouldn't find it believable. I'd figure on Kane running in to either cost Batista the match, just attack both men for a no contest. Either way Punk retains.

Dreamer vs. Henry. Obviously Henry retains. If this match ended up being Extreme Rules it might be fun stuff, but I don't think it is. So it will suck.

Tag team 4 way. I'll go with Miz and Morrison to retain here since none of these other teams are over enough to warrant the belts.

Cena vs. JBL. Call me crazy but I think JBL wins. Let's face it, he's had zero heat in this feud and can't buy a win. Of course then Cena will kill him dead in a blowoff at SummerSlam and then JBL can take time off, but go with this a little while longer.

Michaels vs. Jericho. Jericho almost has to win this match and seriously injury Shawn, maybe take out his eye in the process. Keep Cade out of it though, just cheapens the win.

Shelton vs. Matt. Hardy retains the US title. Just filler to get a Hardy on the PPV and Matt can get the win back from SD. I'm not expecting an amazing match here. To be honest Shelton to me is one of those guys who has the physical talent but has never put it together in terms of actually working a match consistently.

McCool vs. Neidhart. Don't really care, this belt is useless. I'll go with Michelle I guess as a political favor for UT.

Just wondering but often times I hear this stuff about how the "money is in the chase" with the face chasing the heel forever. When exactly has this worked all that well at a main event level though? I can see the chase being from roughly the Rumble to WM, but anything beyond that and I seriously stop caring. A lot of other people likely feel the same, given the way angles like Luger/Yoko and HHH/Orton (2004-05) played out.

To me the money isn't in a face chasing a heel for the belt, it's in the face winning the belt and having a successful title reign.

Just wondering but often times I hear this stuff about how the "money is in the chase" with the face chasing the heel forever. When exactly has this worked all that well at a main event level though? I can see the chase being from roughly the Rumble to WM, but anything beyond that and I seriously stop caring. A lot of other people likely feel the same, given the way angles like Luger/Yoko and HHH/Orton (2004-05) played out.

To me the money isn't in a face chasing a heel for the belt, it's in the face winning the belt and having a successful title reign.

You mean my favourite wrestler of all time John Cena as a champ is more interesting than Cena as a contender?

I think Cena not being in the spotlight as the champion is good for all brands. I enjoy Cena feuding with other people as it means that the title will be defended and that it's not CENAS GONNA WIN OMG. Same with Trips. Honestly, they both bore me. I see Punk retaining here, Batista going fulblown heel, Kane making the save at Summerslam against Boretista, leading to a Kane vs Batista feud with Cena stepping up to Punk after completely burying JBL.

HHH wins here. After the match Vickie comes out and announces that she has brought back a friend of Edge, and 'Taker comes out and beats down Edge to continue their fued, this time without the title on the line. (That either happens here, or on SmackDown when Edge is complaining about losing)

CM Punk gets the fluke win to continue his reign, but makes him look weak, causing Batista to snap and beat Punk down to cheers from the crowd, even though he is supposed to be the heel. Creative continues to play Batista as the heel, but the fans don't boo him.

I would love to see Dreamer win, but that won't happen. Henry will retain with help from Atlas.

This is really the one match that is truly hard to figure out. Usually in these matches, the Champs lose, but M&M are entertaining as Champs. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that Finley and Hornswoggle will bring home the win.

JBL wins, with help from DiBiasi and Rhodes, to continue their feud until Summerslam when it will (finally?) end with a cage match.

Michaels wins, but after the match Jericho and Cade beat down Michaels until London comes out and tries to save his mentor, but it will not work. Michaels gets the upper hand and runs the heels off.

Shelton wins here.

Natalya (I hate that they call her that) gets the win with help from Victoria.

You mean my favourite wrestler of all time John Cena as a champ is more interesting than Cena as a contender?

Not Cena in particular. Cena is a better chaser. Some people are better as champ some people chase better. Cena's character got stale so his reign too got stale.

My point is that faces are naturally better chasers. After all, fans are more interested to see if the face will finally beat <dominant or sneaky heel> at the next PPV.

My point is that faces are naturally better chasers. After all, fans are more interested to see if the face will finally beat <dominant or sneaky heel> at the next PPV.

I can agree with this to a point. There are many times when a face chaser wins the title and then the crowd turns on them shortly after they win.

HHH retains. The Edge/Alicia angle is no swerve but Edge begs Vickie to forgive him since "they we're broken up". Vickie does but says that since she has forgiven him, he needs to forgive her. She says not to worry about that now, that he needs to focus on the title shot, but to show everything is good between them she makes Chavo the guest referee. Edge and Chavo cheat the whole match and it looks like Edge has HHH beat and pinned before UT comes up through the ring to break up the count and end the match. Of course the secret that Vickie needs to be forgiven for is that she re-instated The Undertaker out of spite for Edge/Alicia.

If we don't get the Hart/Deisel finish here I'll be disappointed. I think it's a perfect fit and hasn't been done in years in the wwe. It's a competitive match, but near the end Batista gets the upper hand and pummels Punk. Spine buster and Punk kicks out, Spear and Punk kicks out, eventually Batista Bombs him, however Punk kicks out. Batista is going to go for another Batista Bomb but while setting it up(Punk bent over with head between Batista's legs) Punk's legs give out, Batista lifts him into position again but pauses for a second in a showing of compassion and it is in this moment Punk rolls him up for the win.

Blech. Tommy gets a hometown pop but gets demolished. hopefully this is a short one.

I take the titles off Miz and Morrison here. Ideally I'd have Hawkins/Ryder pin Hornswoggle. This way Hawkins/Ryder can feud with Jesse and Festus over the titles while Miz and Morrison can feud with Finlay over Hornswoggle costing them the titles.

Could go either way, but I'm assuming this is the blow-off to allow Cena vs Punk at Summerslam. So Cena wins via FU on a car. Cryme Tyme and Dibiase/Rhodes get involved during the match.

Jericho wins, with Cade heavily involved. Sets up big Summerslam match. My fanboy dream would be Jericho and Cade vs HBK and mystery partner.

Hardy needs to retain eventhough he's been an afterthought as US champion and SD! needs it's midcard belt back. This would allow Hardy to go after the ECW title, though Hardy vs Henry is a craptacular feud in waiting.

Natalia wins to allow the face to chase initially.

Natalia wins to allow the face to chase initially.

This one is actually an exception to the opinion I expressed above. I think WWE will put the belt on McCool to give the belt a face start. It's somewhat similar to RVD getting the first WWECW title reign (even though RVD not getting the title there would be a crime). Heel Big Show getting his reign shortly after proves my point.

I'm going for HHH win with a Taker return.

Punk wins. A competative match, lots of near falls, Punk gets the roll up. Batista loses ANOTHER title shot.

Henry squash. Horrah.

Take the titles off Miz and Morrison here. Just don't put them on Finlay and Hornswoggle. Oddly enough, this is the match I want to see the most. I love me multi tag matches.

Cena wins again, probably with a brawl between CT and Dibiase and Rhodes. Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't Cena won every singles match he's had against JBL?

Will be MOTN again. I'm calling Jericho win with Cade interference. London evening up the odds would be great.

Card filler but should be a good match. Shelton could do with the win here but it could make Hardy look bad. I call Hardy win.

Don't care. I'll pick... Natalya.

Toss up. My head sez Trips goes over as Taker returns, heart sez the whole wedding planner storyline was a ruse by La Famila and Vickie interfers to help Edge win.

Punk gets the win for bringing in the ratings.

Could have been fun if it was an Extreme Rules match, but it will be a glorified squash

Added out of nowhere, Miz and Morrison should and better retain or I'll be super pissed.

If JBL didn't have a bad back I'd be looking forward to this. Instead I'm expecting 10 minutes of garbage wrestling. Cena obviously goes over. Kudos to JBL's heel work, I'm actually rooting for Cena in this fued.

Should be at least ****. Jericho goes over via shenanigans from Cade, rubber match at SS in a steel cage.

Good midcard match. Shelton could use the belt for something to do, and Matt dosn't need the title to be over. Still, I expect Matt to retain.

Natalya. Makes sense for the heel to win and have Michelle chase.