TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

This Week in Baseball 7/21 - 7/27

They aren't finished, but they're going to struggle incredibly if they don't start utilizing a patient approach like they were in the first half.

As for Lee, his overall numbers are fine, but if you take out his scorching April, it's pretty pedestrian. He's hitting for average this month, but his actual production is almost non-existent. He hasn't homered since June 20. He has five homers since May 11.

More concerning, though, is his approach at the plate. Even when the power wasn't there, he could still detect bad pitches and draw walks. He's swinging at a lot of crap now and I've never seen him ground into so many double-plays.

The Cubs have the best record in the NL. They lead the league in runs scored, they are second in least runs allowed. They have the best run differential in the Majors. And to miss the playoffs, they have to fall behind TWO teams. They're fine.

CoCo Cordero's last 4 games:

3.0 IP, 10 hits, 7 R, 7 ER, 1 HR, 5 BB, 2 K, 0-2 with 2 blown saves, 5.00 WHIP, and a staggering 21.00 ERA.

He has three blown saves in his last 9 appearances.

Guest Smues

For those people like me who do not subscribe to Baseball Prospectus the entire site is free this week, so it's probably worth checking out. I checked out their postseason odds and as of today they'd got at just under 86% odds on making the playoffs (if I'm reading this thing right.) No shocker there, the interesting one to me was the Mets being at 53% to win the East and the Phillies only at 37%.

Re: Wolf-Well, if they don't give up any of the (few) good prospects in the system to get him and they don't offer him some ridiculous extension at the end of the year and get a supplemental pick in the 2009 draft if he signs somewhere else, that wouldn't be a terrible trade; however, given who the owner and GM are, I really think they believe that being 12 games out of the division and 10 games out of the WC at the end of July with a starting rotation anchored by Brian Moehler puts them in contention. Oh well, at the least, if the Astros trade for Wolf, it'll be another stupid group of fans with a dumb nickname (Los Caballitos for Carlos Lee, The Puma Pack for Berkman, The O's Bros for Roy Oswalt, The Byrdak's Nest for uh...Tim Byrdak, The Pence Fence for Hunter Pence, Kaz's Japanese People for Kaz Matsui).

Just as an aside, I noticed the last game I went to at MMP, Cubs vs. 'Stros on Saturday, that the Astros' gift shop was selling Cubs' shirts and that the concession stands were featuring a special Chicago Dog for the series. Back when the Yankees and Sox came to Houston, they sold Yankees and Sox gear and played "New York, New York" over the P.A. for the Yankees series. I've not seen any merchandise sold for teams like the Reds or Pirates or Padres or anything, so I don't know if they just do it for teams with large fanbases, but something about it just irks me. Do they do that sort of thing at other parks?

I love how Viva is always somehow able to justify any deal the Astros make. Remember when Woody was allegedly not a bad signing? It's admirable in a way.

Honestly, the Astros will be the most difficult team to remain loyal to in the NL over the next several years. They're poised to be unbelievably bad.

Hey, I gotta have SOME angle to show my blind, optimistic loyalty to a sub-par team that repeatedly shoots itself in the foot, and, unfortunately, the Astros don't have some wacky, coincidental disproportionate won/loss record on a random day of the week that I could point to and say, "Well, if they didn't play games on Wednesday, they'd be in first place!!!!" so yeah...

Just as an aside, I noticed the last game I went to at MMP, Cubs vs. 'Stros on Saturday

Where were you sitting? If you were the drunk asshole that was sitting behind me in 419 doing Tarzan yells the whole game, I'm gonna kick you in the nuts.

As for whether other teams do that sort of stuff, all I can say is that when we went to a Phillies/Rangers game in Arlington back in June there were several stands on the concourse (and even a whole rack in the big gift shop in center field) that were selling Phillies gear. I asked one of the ladies working one of the stands about it and she said they were expecting a lot of Philly fans to be in the park over the weekend so they thought they would take advantage.

Just as an aside, I noticed the last game I went to at MMP, Cubs vs. 'Stros on Saturday

Where were you sitting? If you were the drunk asshole that was sitting behind me in 419 doing Tarzan yells the whole game, I'm gonna kick you in the nuts.

I had SRO tickets. If I can't get the really good seats, like the ones down the first or third base lines on the field or dugout seats, I usually just get either the cheap seats or the SRO seats and lean on the rail behind homeplate or mill around on the concourse; it makes it easier when I go smoke when they do the Kiss Cam and if I wanna leave early if it's a blowout or something.

It all makes sense. The Brewers got Sabathia. The Cubs countered that with Harden. And the Astros move them into checkmate by acquiring a flyball lefty with a history of arm trouble for half a year because Ed Wade's "known him since he signed his first professional contract" and characterizes him as a "winner and a hard worker". Oh well, Houston gave up one of their top 10 prospects to get him, but, of course, a top 10 prospect in Houston is like a bottom third prospect in any other organization.

I love how Viva is always somehow able to justify any deal the Astros make. Remember when Woody was allegedly not a bad signing? It's admirable in a way.

He's the anti-Czech

The Astros only gave up Chad Reineke in exchange for Randy Wolf. Reineke's nothing, a 26 year old in AAA is going to become a reliever at best. Wolf's only under contract for this season, and at two months that works out to about $2 million in salary, not an albatross. If he leaves, Houston should get a supplemental pick in return, as Viva noted.

I like this deal. Houston makes themselves a bit more respectable and they hardly cost themselves anything in the future. They're not playoff contenders, but why not make a small move to avoid sliding? I'm honestly surprised no team offered more for Wolf.

Mets are three outs away from taking the division lead, but the Phils have scored a run but still have the bases loaded with none out. Jose Reyes tried to make a double play he shouldn't have.

This is outrageous. Sanchez comes in to put the first three men on base, then leaves for Smith who promptly gives up a run to make it 5-3.

The Mets bullpen strikes again.

This is outrageous. Sanchez comes in to put the first three men on base, then leaves for Smith who promptly gives up a run to make it 5-3.

The Mets bullpen strikes again.

Smith got the ground ball he needed, blame that on Reyes, as he made a STUPID play. And no it's tied. Gotta love the Mets.

Christ. This is one of those games that's going to lead to a freefall for the next week or so.

Poor Santana. If it's not the lineup neglecting to score when he pitches, it's the bullpen blowing a lead for him in the ninth.

Rest assured Bruiser, Wagner does not provide much more comfort than Sanchez or Feliciano. I have no doubt we would be saying the same thing if he was available.