TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

This Week in Baseball 7/21 - 7/27

A lot of credit to the Mets. Hopefully this serves as a wakeup call to the Phillies, who've hit like crap ever since interleague play started. .247 batting average, .310 OBP in their last 30 games.

Guest The Elements of Style

Betcha the Marlins continue the streak with another four in a row. I think they're at 11 so far.

You honestly believe the team with the best home record in baseball is going to drop four straight home games? Even I'm not that negative. I'd be surprised with anything less than a split.

"They're gonna lose every single game!" ended up with a division title last year. Might as well play it up again.

I'm just not feeling the Phillies at all right now. The comeback win a couple nights ago didn't excite me or anything. They have no top tier farm talent to trade, and don't have a lick of starting pitching. I can't believe how this is turning out right now. Still a chance to win a division, but it's another year in Philly with no championship. You can never tell if management has their hands tied, or if they really don't want to make the effort to get top talent.

I'm just not feeling the Phillies at all right now. The comeback win a couple nights ago didn't excite me or anything. They have no top tier farm talent to trade, and don't have a lick of starting pitching. I can't believe how this is turning out right now. Still a chance to win a division, but it's another year in Philly with no championship. You can never tell if management has their hands tied, or if they really don't want to make the effort to get top talent.

You might just have one of the best players at their positions in the entire league at 1B (questionable I know), 2B & SS. Hamels is one of the best young pitchers in baseball. I don't think Lidge has blown a save yet. Where exactly do you want this top talent to play, and how do you plan to get it and still pay the guys you already have?

"They're gonna lose every single game!" ended up with a division title last year. Might as well play it up again.

To be fair, the Cubs did lose every single game to the Marlins last year.

I thought Mark Cuban had no chance of actually owning the Cubs but I just read that he made the highest offer ($1.3B). Why wouldn't he have a chance to own the team? Or does he?

You might just have one of the best players at their positions in the entire league at 1B (questionable I know), 2B & SS.

Not to mention the very best OF; who doesn't exist, because he had a poor season five years ago.

Anyway, the Mets will almost certainly win the division, as Santana/Pelfrey/Maine/Perez/you or me > Hamels/Moyer/shitty guy/shitty guy/shitty guy. Philadelphia should have traded for Mussina when they had "mild interest" in him. Enjoy Blanton, guys.

Went to the Game and a half at Camden Yards today, but unfortunately the Orioles never showed up. Ive seen some stinkers in person, but that 12 1/2 innings was by far the worst Ive seen in person. It probably didnt help that Halladay pitched the 2nd game but he wasn't even that overpowering and had thrown 110 pitches in like 6 innings and was getting the Os on some mistakes that they should have capitalized on..

and I got a really bad sunburn. Ugh.

I think I would've rather seen four decisive Brewer wins if they had to sweep the series. The Cards should have conceivably won at least two, if not three, of the games in that series. But these things will happen when Ryan Franklin is closing down games for your team.

What a game in Scranton. Doubleheader meant two seven-inning games. Ian Kennedy took a no-hitter into the last inning, got two outs, and then Chris Basak booted a routine ground ball! The error kept the no-hitter going, but the next batter smacked a game tying double to break it up.

Bench clearing brawl in Class A ball tonight, as my Dayton Dragons and the Peoria Chiefs, 17 ejections, injuries, 70 minute delay before the ejections were called back so play could resume. And Peoria's pitcher arrested because a ball he threw that started the brawl injured a fan in the stands.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/n/content/o...dragonsweb.html

He deserves to be suspended for the year, whether it went in the stands or not. He had already hit his second batter so I am not sure why the ump hadn't tossed him.

The espn.com article talks about how a Peoria player broke his leg, but that wasn't during the brawl, it was actually when he and the pitcher collided earlier in the inning.

I thought Mark Cuban had no chance of actually owning the Cubs but I just read that he made the highest offer ($1.3B). Why wouldn't he have a chance to own the team? Or does he?

Given that Selig's buddy, the guy who was supposedly the frontrunner, just got dropped from the next round of bidding for his bid being too low, I'd say Cubes has a pretty good chance now.

You might just have one of the best players at their positions in the entire league at 1B (questionable I know), 2B & SS.

Not to mention the very best OF; who doesn't exist, because he had a poor season five years ago.

I know you like Pat Burrell, but he is not the best outfielder in the league. He has been very good this year, yes. However, he simply does not have the best numbers for an outfielder in the NL.

Given that Selig's buddy, the guy who was supposedly the frontrunner, just got dropped from the next round of bidding for his bid being too low, I'd say Cubes has a pretty good chance now.

I wouldn't be surprised if Canning comes back with a higher bid. It's way too suspicious that we've heard the last of him so soon when he was surely all but promised the team by his pals Bud and Jerry. Maybe Selig has a slush fund.

I have mixed feelings about Cuban owning the team. I don't think he's going to do anything crazy like move the team to Schaumburg, but I do worry that under his watch, the Cubs will ultimately follow the YES Network plan and stop being a national institution in favor of being premium-tier sports programming. Or on the other hand, maybe he'll make better use of the national cable channel the Cubs already have and put more than 70 fucking games on WGN. That would make more sense.

Interestingly, I'm currently about 3/4th's of the way through Veeck As In Wreck. If you want a guy bitter about ownership shenanigans, Veeck is your man. He wanted to move the Browns to Baltimore and got blocked, forcing him to play another lame duck season in St. Louis. MLB only approved the move after he sold.

Santana/Pelfrey/Maine/Perez/you or me > Hamels/Moyer/shitty guy/shitty guy/shitty guy.

"I," rather.

I know you like Pat Burrell, but he is not the best outfielder in the league. He has been very good this year, yes. However, he simply does not have the best numbers for an outfielder in the NL.

He's second only to Holliday in EqA (.331 to Holliday's .335—they're fourth and fifth overall, behind Pujols, C. Jones, and Berkman), OPS+ (154 to Holliday's 156), and VORP. Burrell hits even better on the road than Holliday does at home, however. I'll take Burrell.

So a trade might have just occurred. The Yankees sending Jose Tabata, Ross Ohlendorf, and another prospect (missed the name) for Xavier Nady and Damaso Marte.

It's official.

BOSTON -- The Yankees moved on Friday to upgrade their club for a push at the postseason, acquiring outfielder Xavier Nady and left-handed reliever Damaso Marte from the Pittsburgh Pirates in exchange for four Minor Leaguers.

MLB.com has learned that the Yankees will part with talented right-field prospect Jose Tabata, plus three pitchers -- right-handers Ross Ohlendorf and George Kontos and left-hander Phil Coke.

So much for those "the Pirates demands are too high" reports that were going around. There was actually a report that said those were being planted by other GMs to try to bring the Pirates demands down and that has to be the case. Tabata has potential to be a decent outfielder, but nothing else in the deal was even worth taking. Out of the other 3 players you basically get a 7th inning guy and maybe one 4/5 starter. Nothing you couldn't probably grab with the 2 sandwich picks you get for Marte at the end of the year. Maybe if the deal is just for Nady you take it, but this is clearly just same old Pirates under the new management.