TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mike wanna be

What Might Have Been #1

In this thread, we will look back on a turning point in recent WWE history, and discuss what might have been, if things had turned out...just a little bit differently.

The setup: A one-night King of the Ring tournament features Raw GM William Regal taking a shortcut to the finals, where he defeats a fatigued CM Punk to win the crown.

As General Manager and King, Regal has full control over the program, and asserts himself by turning off the lights at will, most specifically at the end of one episode of RAW during the HHH/Orton title match main event. HHH takes exception to this and begins to torment King Regal; furthermore, Mr. Kennedy returns from filming a movie to call out Regal on the way he won the crown. Vince McMahon, however, gives Regal his full support.

The actual result: Regal fails a Wellness Policy test, and requires a 60-day suspension. McMahon is forced to change his tune, and does so by citing a ratings drop whenever Regal is on-screen. He then books a "Loser Gets Fired" match between King Regal and Kennedy on the May 19th episode of RAW. Kennedy emerges victorious and Regal is summarily "fired".

The question is...what might have been?

Assume William Regal doesn't fail that Wellness Policy test; where does King Regal go from May 19th?

Does he still wrestle Kennedy that night (and if so, is it still under "Loser gets fired" rules, leading to Kennedy losing his job)?

Does he maintain the feud with Kennedy?

Does he plug himself into the WWE title picture with HHH?

Does he end up turning Orton face and feuding with him over the same "power outage during the title rematch" issue?

Or does he go in a totally different direction?

What do you think?

So hard to say what might have happened, since the draft was looming around the corner as well. Its possible Kennedy could have got fired only to be drafted back onto Raw (assuming he was hired by Smackdown as the biggest Free Agent in wrestling or something). I think it was heading towards a Regal/HHH program, as from what I've read over the years, it had been planned for a while. I think it would have been one of the more different title programs we've had in a while, both men have a lot of talent in the ring and an air of credibility about them. So, I don't think it'd have been the standard face over coming the odds type of stuff.

The King Regal character was interesting, but at times it was a bit over done - the rating didn't agree either, but was that more of an Orton/HHH thing or Regal?

I think the WWE got away with it, with the draft being so close to the incident of Regal being fired - actually, I think it worked VERY WELL and if drugs wasn't such a sour point at the moment, I'd have said it could have all been the best super work in the world to set up what's going on at the moment - but it isn't.

Looking at the timeline, Regal's sixty days ended on July 19th; he's eligible to return at any time.

He's returning tonight.

- William Regal was backstage at the PPV last night and is now free to return at any point although it doesn't appear as if he will return on RAW tonight.

From 411

I think Regal could have firmly established himself as an upper card heel you could throw into a main event at one of none-marquee PPVs. I think King Regal would have been a perfect foil to Cena creating a great fued.

He's a strike away from being fired and he's already been fired once & sent to rehab once in his career. I don't know if they'd take him as a road agent/director or not.