TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

Essential Starrcade

Man, Battlebowl was one of those "it sounded good on paper" things, wasn't it? I don't know what WCW's fascination with multiple ring events was; it's confusing for the live fans who have to almost look at one ring with one eye and even worse for the TV viewer given WCW's subpar production values. Ross and Schiavone are absolutely confused and don't know what the hell is going on either. Gotta love Ricky Richard Morton throwing Liger into the second ring and then just waltzing in after him (through the middle rope, by the way).

EDIT: And holy shit, was a mullet a prerequisite for employment as a WCW official back then?

EDIT 2: I forgot to mention that Douglas/Steamboat vs. Pillman/Windham is a DAMN good match.

Edited by KingPK

Man, Battlebowl was one of those "it sounded good on paper" things, wasn't it? I don't know what WCW's fascination with multiple ring events was; it's confusing for the live fans who have to almost look at one ring with one eye and even worse for the TV viewer given WCW's subpar production values. Ross and Schiavone are absolutely confused and don't know what the hell is going on either. Gotta love Ricky Richard Morton throwing Liger into the second ring and then just waltzing in after him (through the middle rope, by the way).

EDIT: And holy shit, was a mullet a prerequisite for employment as a WCW official back then?

EDIT 2: I forgot to mention that Douglas/Steamboat vs. Pillman/Windham is a DAMN good match.

Not to mention the economic factor of taking potential seats and ticket revenue out of play.

1991 WCW (especially based on matches they DIDN'T do but had planned - Maze of Mirrors, a Reverse Battle Royal involving quicksnad) really was a pre-cursor to TNA.

I find it funny that WCW's split screen technology was better in 1991 than 1994. In 1994, instead of one small screen on top of the main action, they would split everything up into TWO small split screens with 75% of the screen devoted to a graphic telling you the name of the PPV. That sucked.

Man, Meltzer made me sound like an idiot in today's F4Wonline update, calling matches 25-21 the winners of an online vote for the DVD. I never said that! He did retract yesterday's story about WWE.com Legacy being a brand new service though.

1991 WCW (especially based on matches they DIDN'T do but had planned - Maze of Mirrors, a Reverse Battle Royal involving quicksnad) really was a pre-cursor to TNA.

I find it funny that WCW's split screen technology was better in 1991 than 1994. In 1994, instead of one small screen on top of the main action, they would split everything up into TWO small split screens with 75% of the screen devoted to a graphic telling you the name of the PPV. That sucked.

Azz Duthy Rhose wud say, its da dubba trubba bashinthe beach bubble.

Whoa, the reverse battle royale involving quicksand actually sounds like it might be amusing. But then I'm always up for a bad gimmick match.

I haven't seen all the Starrcade shows but any top 25 should have this stuff: Flair/Race and Piper/Valentine from 1983, nothing from 84 was any good really (Tully/Steamboat was the only thing worth a crap from what I have seen), 1985 should have at least Magnum/Tully "I Quit," 1986 would have maybe Flair/Nikitaj, 1987 Flair/Garvin, 1988 Flair/Luger, 1989 already had Sting/Muta and will later have Sting/Flair, 1990 maybe Horsemen vs. Doom, 1991 had Battlebowl already covered, 1992 already has had the tag title match and Sting vs. Vader will no doubt be on later. 1993 would have Flair/Vader. 1994 totally sucked. 1995 could have Eddie/Otani. 1996 had Piper/Hogan but there were several solid undercard matches. 1997 has Sting/Hogan for historical purposes. 1998 already had Goldberg vs. Nash, but I'd put the 3 way cruiser match and the Eddie/Kidman match that followed instead. 1999 mostly sucked, maybe at best JJ vs. Benoit. 2000 really had nothing that truly stands out as a classic, but wasn't a bad card.

Man, Meltzer made me sound like an idiot in today's F4Wonline update, calling matches 25-21 the winners of an online vote for the DVD. I never said that! He did retract yesterday's story about WWE.com Legacy being a brand new service though.

An update on this, the reason Meltz called this a "countdown to build up the DVD" is because he's been told that's what it is. He also told me that - spoiler alert! -

Flair vs. Vader

was voted as the #1 match.

Sweet. When I was trying to think of the top matches from Starrcade, that was actually the one I narrowed down to #1 myself. Either that or

Magnum/Tully from 1985, but at the end of the day that is still just a US title match.

Part 2 is up now with Tully Blanchard hosting. Haven't watched it all, but here's the next three matches:

20: Dustin Rhodes vs. Steve Austin (2 out of 3 falls for US title) (1993?)

19: Tully Blanchard/Arn Anderson vs. Road Warriors (World Tag title) (1987)

18: Rey Mysterio Jr. vs. Jushin "Thunder" Liger (1996)

I have a core group of FIVE wrestlers I love, and onlyu two of them wrestled much in WCW (fwiw, KAne, Brett Hart, Taz, Tripkle, Khali)

will this have any Triple or Brett m atches? did they have good showings at starcade

I have a core group of FIVE wrestlers I love, and onlyu two of them wrestled much in WCW (fwiw, KAne, Brett Hart, Taz, Tripkle, Khali)

will this have any Triple or Brett m atches? did they have good showings at starcade

The only Bret match I can think of that could make the list is the one where Goldberg ended his career.

The only Bret match I can think of that could make the list is the one where Goldberg ended his career.

and some people still think its not real

unbeleivable

#17 is the Midnight Express vs. The Rock and Roll Express Scaffold Match from '87. I think this is the one where Cornette blows out his knee.

EDIT: HHH has had one Starrcade match vs. Alex Wright in 1994 and he lost. I doubt that will be here.

EDIT 2: #16 is Lex Luger vs. Ric Flair for the title from 1988.

Edited by KingPK

#17 is the Midnight Express vs. The Rock and Roll Express Scaffold Match from '87. I think this is the one where Cornette blows out his knee.

EDIT: HHH has had one Starrcade match vs. Alex Wright in 1994 and he lost. I doubt that will be here.

EDIT 2: #16 is Lex Luger vs. Ric Flair for the title from 1988.

Cornette blew his knee out in the '86 scaffold match against The Road Warriors.

I have to admit, by and large these matches aren't thrilling me. Austin/Rhodes was lethargic and typically puzzling WCW booking of that era (a 2/3 falls match that goes 2 falls?), the nightmare Warriors/Horsemen match that basically killed the NWA/WCW in Chicago for a decade due to the Dusty Finish, a freakin scaffold match from the same show. Flair/Luger was good at least, as was Rey/Liger.

Should be some good stuff coming up though, stuff like Magnum/Tully, Flair/Vader, Vader/Sting, and so on.

I have to admit, by and large these matches aren't thrilling me. Austin/Rhodes was lethargic and typically puzzling WCW booking of that era (a 2/3 falls match that goes 2 falls?), the nightmare Warriors/Horsemen match that basically killed the NWA/WCW in Chicago for a decade due to the Dusty Finish, a freakin scaffold match from the same show. Flair/Luger was good at least, as was Rey/Liger.

Should be some good stuff coming up though, stuff like Magnum/Tully, Flair/Vader, Vader/Sting, and so on.

Don't forget Valentine/Piper

If anyone's wondering, the bonus clips are working for me so I guess they fixed that problem. Always nice to see the Fingerpoke of Doom again (along with Tony's "What the fuck's going on?!").

Edited by KingPK

and some people still think its not real

unbeleivable

I love this guy.

Watching Part 3 now...

15. Shinjiro Otani vs. Eddie Guererro

14. The Road Warriors vs. Sting and Dusty Rhodes

13. Sting vs. Vader

12. The Brisco Brothers vs. Ricky Steamboat and Jay Youngblood

11. Ric Flair vs. Dusty Rhodes (1985)

Eddie/Ohtani was pretty good stuff, I'll have to check it out again. Something about that Starrcade 95 always rubbed me the wrong way though...maybe it was that all the big name WCW guys got the wins (Sting, Savage, etc.) while the younger guys all jobbed to the Japanese (Eddie, Benoit, etc.).

No shock to see Flair/Dusty on there. Probably the best match I've seen from them, though the goofy Dusty Finish hurts it. In fact there are several matches on these shows with crappy finishes. Haven't seen the Sting/Dusty vs. LOD match.

Sting/Vader is the best of the matches on this set though. That one is a tremendous match that holds up fine today. In fact Starrcade 92 has had a couple of knockout matches on here, with the Steamboat/Douglas vs. Pillman/Windham match on as well.

Flair and Dusty should be there from a history standoff. Flair called Dusty his greatest opponent on his DVD but I strongly disagree. Dusty was his greatest rival and while the two were always entertaining together, Dusty is one of the only guys who could consistently drag Flair below a three-star match.