TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Darth Pipes

Rated PG Superstar?

I have to believe that this is an era much like the mid 90's. As soon as the current fanbase forget the Attitude Era, they'll start another one up so it has the same shock value.

This will last until some 8 year old powerbombs a 4 year old and kills them, and blames it on trying to copy Batista. WWF will get sued and have to agree to lessen their marketing to kids for a while.

Did that happen last time? I remember some high-profile case where a kid clotheslined some other kid and the little one died and the WWF getting blamed, but I can't remember the actual outcome or if they changed anything as a result.

And holy shit do I miss Muhammad Hassan.

If you're talking about the Nathan Tate (IIRC, that was his name) case, where a 12-year-old killed an 8-year-old (or younger, I can't remember) with "WWF wrestling moves" such as STOMPING, SLAMMING, AND THROWING HER DOWN THE FUCKING STAIRS (you things, people can do without ever having watched wrestling), then the outcome was the jury not believing the defense's strategy at all and convicting the bastard.

If you're talking about the Nathan Tate (IIRC, that was his name) case, where a 12-year-old killed an 8-year-old (or younger, I can't remember) with "WWF wrestling moves" such as STOMPING, SLAMMING, AND THROWING HER DOWN THE FUCKING STAIRS (you things, people can do without ever having watched wrestling), then the outcome was the jury not believing the defense's strategy at all and convicting the bastard.

To be fair, with how that defense strategy is set up, he was doomed to spend considerable time in prison anyways. I don't think anyone would really give leniency to someone who, if true, can't differentiate the difference between reality and fiction.

It's a logical extension of launching WWE Kids Magazine and reaching more audiences via WWE Studios. I'm not sure the TV-PG change will mean any real significant changes in WWE storylines or characters, but it can help open the door for parents to allow kids to watch WWE product without concern. It's a psychological thing, a marketing tactic to further open the door for WWE to get more kids to watch.

I still maintain WWE needs to figure out how to get an AM Raw-type show on the air at a time when more kids will be watching. Saturday mornings don't have the same cachet they did 15 years ago, obviously, but they need to find something analogous to that. Heck, do a streaming weekly highlights show on WWE.com and make it available for download on iTunes and Xbox Live, then market it to young males (even ads on Nick & Cartoon Network).

Since you mentioned it... Why the fuck is A.M. Raw on at 11 PM Pacific/2 A.M. Eastern?

Muhammad Hassan? Ugh! He was terrible. No way do I miss him. In fact, why do so many people on the internet like the guy? He couldn't wrestle, couldn't work a mic, and had a terrible gimmick. Whats to like about him? The only thing good about the GAB 2005 is seeing his gimmick killed off. He was also one of those bad gimmicks they pushed hard too.

I liked Hassan when he was around. His mic work was more than passable for WWE, and the gimmick, while mishandled, wasn't actually that bad. I even liked how he was pushed for the most part, since I thought he was one of the few newcomers around at the time to be booked somewhat strong without making it seem like they were forcing him to the top.

The biggest failing with the character was that they had the opportunity to do some complex stuff with him, but decided to go the cheap heat route, which ultimately ended up ruining him. Of course you could argue that given the audience WWE caters to, it was a mistake to even try to come up with such a character, but really outside of the terrorist thing, I had no problems with Hassan.

I liked Hassan when he was around. His mic work was more than passable for WWE, and the gimmick, while mishandled, wasn't actually that bad. I even liked how he was pushed for the most part, since I thought he was one of the few newcomers around at the time to be booked somewhat strong without making it seem like they were forcing him to the top.

The biggest failing with the character was that they had the opportunity to do some complex stuff with him, but decided to go the cheap heat route, which ultimately ended up ruining him. Of course you could argue that given the audience WWE caters to, it was a mistake to even try to come up with such a character, but really outside of the terrorist thing, I had no problems with Hassan.

Indeed. The cheap heat was pathetic and a complete waste. Why bother even trying, all he had to say was "I've done nothing to you, but because of my skin color, because of my religion, because of my NAME, you people hate me!", all he ever had to do was have his music hit and he'd get booed out of the building. It was the best gimmick they've come up with in years, it was completely no-maintenance.

That gimmick was terrible. You can't have a gimmick like that in wrestling, because it doesn't fit in the wrestling world. When the rednecks first saw him on the screen they hated him and assumed he is supposed to be a terrorist, and it makes them hate him even more by trying to make him an innocent Arab American. Rednecks won't buy it, they don't want to see WWE try to preach to them. It didn't help that they booked him as a heel, as the gimmick wouldn't possibly get over that way. I mean, they state on TV that he's NOT a terrorist, yet they have him be a douchebag heel anyway! Hell, I think the gimmick would have been better if they stated from the start that he was a terrorist coming into WWE to cause trouble. He at least, might have drawn heat that way. You notice by the time they wanted to main event him, they changed his character to that. They also picked the shittiest worker to do that gimmick.