TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Youth N Asia

Weekend boxoffice report July 25-27

Doesn't that shit just get boring though? There really is nothing going on in that movie that has rewatchable qualities.

The Dark Knight's one of those movies that just rules though. Its got good acting, action, and themes. Thats why its very rewatchable, its one of those movies when it comes out on DVD, you can watch it about every day. Iron Man is like that too, but not as much. There's also people who just love seeing Batman fight the Joker, so thats another reason why The Dark Knight's done such huge business. And I think the Joker's the most popular comic book villain. Thats probably why Batman Begins didn't do huge business, Scarecrow, and Ra's Al Ghul aren't the most popular villains out there, so that wasn't going to attract the mainstream too well. And it also was coming off the heels of Batman & Robin too.

I see a few reasons to watch it a couple of times.

1) First viewing was with the midnight crew that was mostly teenagers and they cheered over some stuff.

2) Had poor seats due to the sold out crowd.

3) Like to get a better perspective on the movie to see if it holds up to how you saw it the first time.

4) I have seen many movies where you notice things that you didn't see the first time.

5) It was a kick-ass movie that is going to be in the theaters for a loooong time and won't be on DVD until next year.

Dark Knight is very rewatchable. I saw it twice, liked it better the 2nd time, have been watching scenes on youtube, and would gladly go see it a 3rd time.

Yeah, I'm in this boat too.

Plus, my city only has one IMAX screen and it's in the museum, so it never gets mainstream movies until months after they come out so I'll absolutely check it out on IMAX as soon as it comes here.

Yeah, I enjoyed it better on the 2nd time too. There were details and things that weren't really clear to me the first time I watched it. 2nd time I pretty much noticed everything. And I think The Dark Knight is very rewatchable because its fun. Sure its dark and disturbing, but its also very fun. I don't know how anyone couldn't have fun during the semi truck scene. The Bat-pod's debut was awesome.

For anyone wanting to check it out in IMAX, it's okay in IMAX but I don't know if it's worth a lot more per ticket. The picture is a little bigger but it's not exactly like seeing a documentary of the Grand Canyon in IMAX at a museum and feeling floored by it. It's kind of like watching the movie and having it be slightly bigger and clearer.

I did see Beowulf in IMAX 3D and it floored me. Unreal.

Well, Beowulf needed the 3D effects to make that passable. I couldn't imagine seeing that on a conventional screen. IMAX is fine and it's not that drastic of a price hike but I wouldn't say it enhanced the quality of the film but there was a noticeable decrease in the noisemaking assholes that were prevalent in the standard theatre.

Typically, I'd choose Director's Hall over the IMAX.

What the heck is "director's hall?"

For what its worth, I make a habit of seeing films in the IMAX over a standard screen. I have yet to have been to a theater that compares with sound quality with the IMAX, as well as the screen clarity. But to each their own.

Also, with Dark Knight, most of the major action scenes were filmed with IMAX cameras, which I think changes the perspective viewpoint on those scenes. I havent seen it yet in the IMAX, but from what I heard there is essentially more picture on the top and bottom, since the IMAX cameras film in a different aspect ratio, etc.

The "directors hall" is a gimmick some theaters use to charge a bit more. Basically, the film is shown in DLP, but you get leather seats and a "waiter" who will bring you food to your seat. It's actually pretty cool.

Dames

5) It was a kick-ass movie that is going to be in the theaters for a loooong time and won't be on DVD until next year.

Believe me the DVD will be out by Christmas, most films these days have less than a 100 day window between theatrical and home entertainment (the largest window for money).

The "directors hall" is a gimmick some theaters use to charge a bit more. Basically, the film is shown in DLP, but you get leather seats and a "waiter" who will bring you food to your seat. It's actually pretty cool.

Dames

That's a great fucking idea, never heard of it until now. I have heard of the Alamo Drafthouse in Austin, Texas but not actual theaters that have plush seating and personal food service to your seat.

Minnesota needs some of these, stat!

Only a kinda spoiler, but from what I heard about the X-Files movie

There's no UFO involvement or anything of that nature

seriously...what else do you want from this movie if not that

I saw the X Files today, and aside from some questionable casting (Xibit as a FBI agent! Billy Connolly as a Catholic Priest that molested 37 altar boys and then suddenly found "psychic" abilities and decides to help out the FBI ..hmm..actually on second thought he did better than anyone else I could think of that they could get for the role) and a piss poor storyline (FBI needs Mulder back to help them solve the case of a missing rookie FBI Agent by refuting/debunking Father Joe's Psychic abilities..what the hell did they think he would conclude?) it still wasnt a bad movie but its got nothing really for anyone outside of the X files fanbase which essentially doomed the movie to not make much money since even the X Files fanboys will probably only go see it once. The reason for the disapearance of the Agent was actually very X Filesish and creepy but it was disapointing that it wasn't aliens or anything of that nature.

Dames

That's a great fucking idea, never heard of it until now. I have heard of the Alamo Drafthouse in Austin, Texas but not actual theaters that have plush seating and personal food service to your seat.

Minnesota needs some of these, stat!

They actually have a pretty good food selection, not just popcorn, but Nathans hot dogs, fries, chicken fingers, pizza, etc.

The waiter told us how they're gonna build a Lux theater where they charge 20 a ticket, but it includes valet parking and someone to clean your car if its raining or snowing out and instead of leather seats, its reclining sofas.

Even though I'm not a fan (Yankees fan, of course), one of the cooler things they do at one of the theaters here is they show Red Sox games at the theater as well.

Dames

No, no, no. God no. The Director's Hall is the biggest waste of money for nothing I've ever seen. Sure, there's some usher that can take food orders, but I have never seen anyone ever do that in all the times I've been to a Director's Hall. There's zero difference in the actual film. You maybe get leather seats instead of regular ones. It's pointless crap, and they charge 3.00 extra per person for it. I actively check the listings to make sure I find a showtime that ISN'T in the Director's Hall.

How big are the seats? That can be a factor. In some theaters I feel like I'm packed into the coach section of a 747 with barely enough room to breathe. And it's not like I'm obese or a giant, six feet tall and about two hundred pounds. I feel bad for bigger people who literally can't fit in the damn things. They'd be willing to pay extra for a seat which doesn't fit like an iron maiden.

Most theater seats still aren't very comfortable, even your typical stadium seating venue. So if I was able to have a plush leather seat or even better, a reclining couch or something of the sort, I'd be all about that.

I'm not going to go looking for Director's Hall screenings, but if the opportunity arises, then I typically won't have any qualms with going. It's a nice moviegoing experience. The chairs usually are very comfortable and large.

I guess since I'm small this stuff doesn't bother me, but I usually can get pretty comfortable in a seat, especially if I can put my feet up

Heh- I always have a friend who sticks his feet up against the back of the chair in front of him immedietely following the moment in the rules spiel thingy during the trailers where they tell you not to put your feet up against the seat.

Well I think it's one of those things that's technically a rule but the chances of you getting thrown out for breaking it are very slim. There's only one theater that explicity mentions this as a rule and that's the theater we go to 75% of the time. Come to think of it, that theater is the one with the most laid back, don't give a shit employees and I couldn't see them throwing out anybody. It was the theater I always went to see R movies before I turned 17 because they never carded. Ah, those were the days.

From what I've seen the seats in the Director's Hall are the same size as the standard seats, but they are leather instead. Oh and the usher dude will make a brief speech before the movie starts. One curious aspect of the DH is that you have to pick your seats out when you buy them. This is goofy and frustrating, I just prefer buying tickets and going to the theater and sitting wherever.

No, no, no. God no. The Director's Hall is the biggest waste of money for nothing I've ever seen. Sure, there's some usher that can take food orders, but I have never seen anyone ever do that in all the times I've been to a Director's Hall. There's zero difference in the actual film. You maybe get leather seats instead of regular ones. It's pointless crap, and they charge 3.00 extra per person for it. I actively check the listings to make sure I find a showtime that ISN'T in the Director's Hall.

They used to have something like a Director's Hall where I live. It was set up where the top half of the theater was seated like a restaurant, with full circular tables, then a bar, and the bottom half was set up like a regular movie theater.

....this was also the cheap theater.

It ruled, until they started playing current movies and charging full price for admission. Then it closed down.