TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

This Week in Baseball 7/28 - 8/3

Red Sox are just trying to hit homers to end this game now. Bottom of the 12th, 1-1. Really good pitching tonight.

EDIT: Bay scores both runs including a triple in the 12th, scoring on Lowrie's infield hit. Really good game.

Fucking Aaron Heilman.

Guy is so inconsistent

That's not true. He consistently gets rocked and gives up devastating homers.

Brian Schneider is the worst hitter I've ever seen since I started watching baseball (and I follow a team that gave Rey Ordonez regular playing time)

He is absolutely useless

and so is Endy Chavez. I can't believe he's an every day player on this team

How did Andruw Jones get the start in center today? When you have 3 guys trying to play 1 position how does Jones win that battle ever?

Righty vs. lefty, but I think the Druw goodwill is coming to an end.

I went to the game last night, and I might go tonight. I've never seen Manny run so fast.

Mets call up Dan Murphy, he'll bat 6th tonight and start in left. Also there's some "buzz" that Jon Niese may make a spot start as John Maine has to miss his. At Binghamton, Murphy's hitting .308/.374/.496, with 13 homers and 67 RBI. So maybe he can hit, and not trading for a corner outfield bat wasn't awful.

I got to see Niese in spring training this year. Pretty cool, didn't give up any hits in 2 or 3 innings, fanned a couple guys, including Andruw Jones I remember, which was fun. Bobby Parnell pitched as well actually, but I don't really remember what he did.

Pascucci is older, 29 or 30 I think. Perhaps the Mets are thinking that Murphy could be a long term option. I understand he also plays 2nd base. Maybe if he hits well, our outfield next year could be Martinez-Beltran-Church and then have Murphy play second base. Or something. I don't know!

Pascucci is older, 29 or 30 I think. Perhaps the Mets are thinking that Murphy could be a long term option. I understand he also plays 2nd base. Maybe if he hits well, our outfield next year could be Martinez-Beltran-Church and then have Murphy play second base. Or something. I don't know!

The Mets are trying Murphy at second, but his defense is questionable. I was hoping to get a look at him in Binghamton but he didn't stick around long enough.

Joe Torre has unveiled his plan to keep the Dodgers out of the postseason.

The outfield configuration the Dodgers unveiled on Manny Ramirez's first day with the team -- Ramirez in left field, Andruw Jones in center and Matt Kemp in right -- may not look familiar by the end of the weekend.

Manager Joe Torre said Juan Pierre would play "the bulk of the time" in center field, with Ramirez serving as the everyday left fielder and Kemp the regular right fielder.

"To me, Juan certainly deserves the right to play," Torre said. "His experience and the consistency with which he goes about his business is pretty tempting for me right now."

Juan Pierre in center. Let's see.

1. With Manny Ramirez in left, the Dodgers need a good defensive outfielder in center to cover. Matt Kemp may not be that good, I honestly don't know how good he is on defense.

2. If not Kemp, that leaves Pierre and Andruw Jones. Jones is beyond terrible this season.

3. It seems like Torre is acknowledging Pierre's work ethic. Given a couple limited options, pick the one who puts in maximum effort.

Juan Pierre in center. Let's see.

1. With Manny Ramirez in left, the Dodgers need a good defensive outfielder in center to cover. Matt Kemp may not be that good, I honestly don't know how good he is on defense.

2. If not Kemp, that leaves Pierre and Andruw Jones. Jones is beyond terrible this season.

3. It seems like Torre is acknowledging Pierre's work ethic. Given a couple limited options, pick the one who puts in maximum effort.

Pierre is pretty average on defense and throws like a girl. Kemp is more than capable of playing CF. Ethier should be in left.

I don't know when Ethier's contract is up, but there is no way he stays with this team one minute longer than he has to.

Looking at Andruw Jones, how is it even possible for a player to be this bad? .161 batting average, 11 extra base hits? Neifi Perez never had a batting line that bad.

Last year definitely signified the end of his time as a productive hitter but I don't think anyone predicted that he'd put in one of the worst offensive seasons in history.

Edit: I guess that's hyperbole considering that hitters like this have come before him.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/b/bergebi01.shtml

Pierre can cover more ground than any of the other outfielders, so I'm not so surprised to hear that he'll play next to Manny.

Guest Cal Moriarty
http://www.nwherald.com/articles/2008/08/0...de536709252.txt

What's with Cubs fans assaulting people lately? There was that attack on a guy after a Brewers/Cubs game earlier this week as well. Yeesh.

Sounds like it was one big get-together of life failures. I don't think it's an indictment of "Cubs fans" at large, but swing away.

As I alluded to earlier, these rivalries are getting pretty ugly, and all parties involved are culpable. In the case of Brewers/Cubs, it seems like Brewers fans are ridiculously on edge about fans of the road team at their games, and that tension is precipitating a lot of the drunken brawling that happened this week. Hanging around in a parking lot drinking beer for a couple of hours before a game probably doesn't help create a pleasant baseball environment, either.

Griffey has left the game with leg cramps. That didn't take long.

Stay out of White Sox business!

The Mets have an outfielder right now with a career .284/.402/.520 line in AAA. Yet Val Pascucci never gets a shot.

Pascucci not on Manuel's radar

For all those minor-league followers clamoring for Valentino Pascucci to get called up from New Orleans, here’s some sobering news from Jerry Manuel:

'I’ll be honest with you, who is he?' Manuel asked with a laugh.

Told he was a power hitter with the Zephyrs, Manuel added: 'Okay. I apologize. I haven’t the slightest idea. Was he in spring training?'

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/mets/2008...-on-manuel.html

The Twins and Tigers look like they're going to waste a perfectly good White Sox loss to the Royals.

Any clue what the reason behind Andruw Jones' steep decline so quickly? It was only a couple years ago he seemed like he'd turned a corner and taken his offensive game to a new level.

There is no doubt in my mind the A's will end the year with 90+ losses. They might be the worst team in the American League right now.

There is no doubt in my mind the A's will end the year with 90+ losses. They might be the worst team in the American League right now.

10-20 over their last 30 games, not counting tonight. Don't count out the O's, but the A's certainly have the league's worst offense.