TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DrVenkman PhD

SmackDown Spoilers - August 1, 2008

For about an 8 month period there, Randy was perhaps the best wrestler in the world. Worthless? Fuck that noise

And easily the best "pure" heel in that he made no attempt to be cool or get people to like him.

For about an 8 month period there, Randy was perhaps the best wrestler in the world. Worthless? Fuck that noise

And easily the best "pure" heel in that he made no attempt to be cool or get people to like him.

He's also #1 on this year's PWI 500..

Yeah even though Darknight agreed with me, I'm not on board with this "Orton is worthless" stuff. I used to hate him because he was just an immature prick who had the world given to him and he kept blowing it. But the 2007/2008 championship reign has really showed that he can step up his game big time if he wanted to.

What is good about Orton? I too have always hated him since he seemed like that guy that got handed the world and didn't deserve it, but whenever he gets pushed hard, the show he's on SUCKS. Smackdown in 05 was very boring when he was getting that superpush late in the year, then it ended up meaning nothing since he screwed up again around the time of Wrestlemania, to where they then booked him to job instead of doing the original plan of him getting the title. Then he's back on Raw with no expanation in 06, gets lucky as hell since he was paired with the best heel in the company (Edge), and I really think if it wasn't for him teaming with Edge, he wouldn't have done shit since. I found his 07 "kick of doom" stuff to be awful. It was silly and laughable. I mean how is kicking Dusty Rhodes in the head supposed to launch a guy into the main event scene? And I think he only got the title because Cena got injured. No way in hell were they going to actually job Cena to him. And during his title run, I don't think he had a good match besides the last man standing with HHH, but I was so disgusted with him getting the title that I don't ever want to watch it again.

He's also #1 on this year's PWI 500..

Yeah even though Darknight agreed with me, I'm not on board with this "Orton is worthless" stuff. I used to hate him because he was just an immature prick who had the world given to him and he kept blowing it. But the 2007/2008 championship reign has really showed that he can step up his game big time if he wanted to.

I miss pissed off Orton.

These are all spot on.

A few weeks ago, Hawk asked me who I missed not taking the most in the wrestler draft, and he was surprised to hear me say Orton.

Why?

He was the best heel in the world, by a long, long stretch. Orton was pretty much the only reason I watched Raw at some point this year.

Much like HHH stepping up in Austin's absence, Orton took the ball from Cena and ran with it.

Ever since since Rated RKO formed, Orton has had it.

But Raw was a shitty show through all of last year and the early part of this year. How is Orton possibly the best heel they have? If anything, I think he's easily the worst that gets a big push. JBL is a better heel, Edge is the best heel in the company, and Kane whenever he turns heel is better too. And lets look at Orton's title matches when he was on top. The No Mercy last man standing match was good, but no one could take him seriously at all as champion since HHH wrestled 3 times on that show and Orton barely even won that match. HHH was a split second away from getting up. Not to mention, Orton also jobbed to HHH the first match of that show. Survivor Series match against Michaels sucked, Armageddon match against Jericho sucked, and had the lamest excuse to not job a guy. Having him beat Jeff Hardy CLEAN at the Rumble was one of the worst booking decisions ever. The match at No Way Out against Cena was a DQ. Even though he won at Wrestlemania, it didn't mean a damn thing a month later. WWE said he only won at Wrestlemania because they thought the show was too predictalbe, and instead jobbed him at Backlash. I mean, how was that title reign any good? I personally wanted Orton to get released in 2005 after Wrestlemania, so I wouldn't ever have to suffer through another one of his bad pushes, and I really hope Raw doesn't get worse when he comes back.

HE. IS. A. HEEL. He escapes with the title. He doesn't dominate. He's vicious and malicious, he's a snake, but not a he-man. That's why HHH was so unbearable in 03-05.

But Raw was a shitty show through all of last year and the early part of this year

If being better than it was 2002-2006 is still shitty to you then maybe you should just quit watching. Despite the injuries/suspensions I thought the overall program was pretty damn good, especially in-ring wise, in 2007 and even this year.

If you thought his matches with HBK, Y2J and HHH were bad, then just give it up and go watch some lucha libra quebrada-thons or something.

Well I just watched SmackDown! and REALLY liked the ending segment. Foley can cut real good promos and showed it again, Edge is just 'The Man' in WWE right now and I think the ending was really good. I would not mind another Mick Foley - Edge Match.

HE. IS. A. HEEL. He escapes with the title. He doesn't dominate. He's vicious and malicious, he's a snake, but not a he-man. That's why HHH was so unbearable in 03-05.

But Raw was a shitty show through all of last year and the early part of this year

If being better than it was 2002-2006 is still shitty to you then maybe you should just quit watching. Despite the injuries/suspensions I thought the overall program was pretty damn good, especially in-ring wise, in 2007 and even this year.

If you thought his matches with HBK, Y2J and HHH were bad, then just give it up and go watch some lucha libra quebrada-thons or something.

Well, the HHH push in 03-05 wasn't good by any means, but HHH was pretty smart to put himself over people clean at times, to not look like a complete joke. And it was really sickening last year to hear Jim Ross on commentary say that "Orton is the greatest world champion of all time" with no irony. Whenever you hear announcers say that, thats code word for THIS GUY SUCKS. Yes, I know Orton is a heel, and isn't supposed to win matches clean, but they make the mistake for actually having him win clean in the wrong situations. They killed Cody Rhode's career out of the gate by jobbing him clean to Orton a bunch of times, and his career is now recovering from it. Jeff Hardy was the most over guy on the roster late last year, but they for some reason job him clean to Orton. I'm sorry, but thats just bad booking.

And why do I still watch you ask? The reason everybody does, for the hope that it might get better someday, and it did after the draft show.