TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Slickster

Friday The 13th (2009)

Michael Bay is producing the latest chapter in the Friday the 13th saga, set somewhere between parts 2 and 3. It drops Friday, Feb 13, 2009 and stars Derek Mears as the masked killing machine.

The series' back-to-basics approach can be seen in the promo posters:

f13bestsmall.PNG

Classic logo poster

Leaked pics of the new Jason.

The trailer (taped at Comic-Con).

I'm excited about this. My birthday weekend is going to be stacked. I get FRIDAY THE 13th (one of my favorite horror killers), MY BLOODY VALENTINE and THE WOLFMAN all opening on my birthday. I've heard reports from the set that this is going to be better then most of the other remakes. The first thing to set it apart from most of them, is they are going for a hard R rating.

Is going for a hard R rating different from the other remakes really? Halloween was a very strong R, Texas Chainsaw Massacre was a solid R as well. I don't get why they said this takes place between parts 2 and 3, isn't this a reboot? I think this can be pretty good, as this series needed a reboot. Its filled with many continuity errors, and Jason never really had a definitive movie, as Michael Myers has the first Halloween, and Freddy has the first Nightmare, Jason never really had one, since he wasn't in the first movie in his series. I too am excited about the Wolfman remake. Hope Universal can redeem themselves from Van Helsing, and put out a good Wolfman movie. I really like the casting for that movie, and the makeup looks BADASS!

Is Benicio DelToro still playing the Wolfman?

The only thing that upsets me about retelling Jason's story is that I liked Tommy Jarvis and Friday pt. 6 was KICK ASS!

EDIT: my friend wiki says yes, Del Toro is indeed the wolfman...it also says the release date was pushed back to April 3rd...sorry, Destroyer, birthday wishes unfulfilled!

Is going for a hard R rating different from the other remakes really? Halloween was a very strong R, Texas Chainsaw Massacre was a solid R as well. I don't get why they said this takes place between parts 2 and 3, isn't this a reboot? I think this can be pretty good, as this series needed a reboot. Its filled with many continuity errors, and Jason never really had a definitive movie, as Michael Myers has the first Halloween, and Freddy has the first Nightmare, Jason never really had one, since he wasn't in the first movie in his series. I too am excited about the Wolfman remake. Hope Universal can redeem themselves from Van Helsing, and put out a good Wolfman movie. I really like the casting for that movie, and the makeup looks BADASS!

It is a reboot of sorts, just it starts with Jason where he would have been to between 2 and 3 rather then a "straight to the beginning, here's his full origin" type of deal....or at least thats what I took from it

Is Benicio DelToro still playing the Wolfman?

The only thing that upsets me about retelling Jason's story is that I liked Tommy Jarvis and Friday pt. 6 was KICK ASS!

EDIT: my friend wiki says yes, Del Toro is indeed the wolfman...it also says the release date was pushed back to April 3rd...sorry, Destroyer, birthday wishes unfulfilled!

Agreed. Part 6 was the last one that I actually liked. Anything after that blows.

I really should read wiki first before I post stuff, I guess: Apparently the producers are trying to figure out a way to include Tommy in any future Friday movies.

It is a reboot of sorts, just it starts with Jason where he would have been to between 2 and 3 rather then a "straight to the beginning, here's his full origin" type of deal....or at least thats what I took from it

If they started from the beginning, Jason wouldn't be the killer, his mother would be.

So they're more or less combining parts 1 & 2 together for this one, I think, and just starting from there. Or something.

Is this a remake or a "re-imagining" ? I ask this because, as I'm sure you all know, Jason wasn't even in the first F13 movie.. (well except for the dream sequence at the end)

EDIT: Nevermind. I should read instead of skimming. ;)

EDIT 2: That trailer was pretty swank, as blurry as it was. I wonder how much of the Michael Bay shakey cam will be used in this movie.. :lol:

has to be a re-imaging since it takes place between 2 and 3, with Jason establishing himself in 2.

Hopefully we don't get some lame, overly-complex explanation as to how he got his hockey mask.

has to be a re-imaging since it takes place between 2 and 3, with Jason establishing himself in 2.

Hopefully we don't get some lame, overly-complex explanation as to how he got his hockey mask.

Or it could be taking place between 3 & 4 actually. He doesn't get the hockey mask until mid-way through part 3. ;)

I just hope it's better than Freddy vs Jason. I mean, that was a fun popcorn movie, but I want some real rated R carnage for this one. I hope some limbs get torn off. :D

Well, true about the mask, but apparently they're giving it to him here...I just hope they don't do something like say the mask has a special meaning to him and we see a flashback of little retarded disfigured Jason playing hockey with his dad who verbally and physically abuses him the whole time. No, just leave it as is, he kills some stupid fat fuck who was running around with it on and takes it for himself...perfect!

Well, true about the mask, but apparently they're giving it to him here...I just hope they don't do something like say the mask has a special meaning to him and we see a flashback of little retarded disfigured Jason playing hockey with his dad who verbally and physically abuses him the whole time. No, just leave it as is, he kills some stupid fat fuck who was running around with it on and takes it for himself...perfect!

LMAO @ that backstory visual. Yeah, I agree with what you're saying though. The mask has no real significance other than Jason wants to cover up his face. So whether it's a pillowcase or a hockey mask, doesn't need a meaning. Hopefully Bay keeps it that way.

ah christ, I forgot Bay was working on this one...I didn't see the TCM remakes, were those stupid?

Yes. Still, this is Friday the 13th. They've done all the can with they series, so a remake was inevitable, and the most logical next step for the series to go.

I enjoyed the TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE remake. Nispal did a good job on that one, so my hopes are high that he can make it look good.

Going back to my point about hard R remakes, I know some of them have been R, but most of the ones starring a WB cast have for the most part been PG-13. I like that the two movies coming out the same da, FRIDAY THE 13th and MY BLOODY VALENTINE (3D) are both hard R-rated and both starring the brothers from SUPERNATURAL.

Too bad they moved back WOLFMAN, but that is for the better as there are alreayd 2 horror movies coming out on the same day.

F13 Pt. 6 definitely has it's moments and is a fun popcorn movie. I do, however, think Jason LOOKED the best in Part 7. It's just a shame they did away with the awesome zombie Jason for the bloated prune thing that walked around the cruise ship in Pt. 8.

Part 7

7[1].jpg

Part 8

unmasked_part8.JPG

The new teaser looks pretty interesting. I hope this will turn out to be the typical violent Jason flick and not some cheesy made-for Sci-Fi movie like Jason X. Whats was the deal with that movie anyway? You could tell none of the actors gave a rip about anything, and were more or less just there to collect a paycheck.

part 4 does contain two of my favorite parts...dude getting a shotgun shoved in his nuts and lifted up out of the water and Crispin Glover getting hung in the doorway by his hands and feet spread eagle only to be ripped down by Jason later.

I'd have to rank Part 4 up there as my favourite as well. Though 6 holds a special spot for me. Probably because it was the only movie in the series that we actually owned a copy of when I was a kid, so needless to say I watched it A LOT. ;)

I wonder if this remake means that the promotional machine will kick in and we'll get a Blu Ray version of the ultimate collection? Or maybe not, since I think this is New Line now, and not Paramount.. right?

Part 6 was actually the first Friday I had ever seen...but honestly, the story and the acting is leagues better than any other in the series...yes I know it's a stretch to praise the acting and story for ANY Friday movie, but you can see where I'm coming from, right?

6 also has this:

"This is gonna be a hairy turn!"

*girl takes the corner hard, the force sending Tommy's head directly in to her muff*

Part 6 was actually the first Friday I had ever seen...but honestly, the story and the acting is leagues better than any other in the series...yes I know it's a stretch to praise the acting and story for ANY Friday movie, but you can see where I'm coming from, right?

6 also has this:

"This is gonna be a hairy turn!"

*girl takes the corner hard, the force sending Tommy's head directly in to her muff*

:lol: Yeah, I remember that. Part 6 and part 4 are easlily the best of the old series. The only one I didn't like was part 2. I don't know, but I just found that one boring or something, and no hockey mask. I don't know if these count, but I also found Jason Goes to Hell and Jason X to be complete shit. Horrible movies. People say part 5 is the worst one, since its a Jason copycat, but it at least was gruesome as hell. More part 4 brilliance: Crispin Glover's horrible dancing!

I heard that they were originally going to have Tommy Jarvis take over for Jason. I would've liked that, actually. I liked that Jason WASN'T a supernatural zombie in the first part of the series and I think it took a turn for the worse when he became one.

Well, I thought part 6 was very fun because he was a zombie. I liked all those really crazy death scenes in that. Part 7 is pretty fun too. And I must be the only person who actually enjoyed Jason Takes Manhattan. I don't know why that movie gets severe backlash, considering Jason Goes to Hell and Jason X are WAY WORSE movies.

because he turns in to a small child after being covered up in sewer water...also the fact that only about 1/4 of the movie actually takes place in Manhattan.

but it does feature this:

"Go on, take your best shot"

*Jason punches his head clean off*

because he turns in to a small child after being covered up in sewer water...also the fact that only about 1/4 of the movie actually takes place in Manhattan.

but it does feature this:

"Go on, take your best shot"

*Jason punches his head clean off*

jason-1.gif

Ha ha, love the superimposed Doc from Mike Tyson's Punch Out! Did anyone else love when Jason killed that one annoying guy in the toxic waste barrel? I think that guy was more of a villain than Jason, really.