TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Slickster

Friday The 13th (2009)

In Rob Zombie's Halloween, I thought the alternate ending with the cops shooting Michael was a lot better than the ending in the theatrical and unrated cut. I just loved the music playing in the background while the camera zooms out. It was really cool.

This is going to stray this thread off topic even more, but any theories how they are going to explain Myers didn't get his head shot off at the ending of Zombie's Halloween? They got some explaining to do if they are going ahead with this Halloween sequal (which wont even have Zombie attached to it at all, apparently...not yet at least). Sounds like an even worse idea than Platinum Dunes remaking Friday the 13th here and also apparently NOES.

I've hated every Rob Zombie movie so far, he just doesn't get it. He chooses bad actors and gets bad performances out of them. House of 1000 Corpses sucked, Devil's Rejects was better, but was still pretty bad. And he totally whiffed on Halloween.

Michael Myers is my favorite horror villain and as a kid, he scared the shit out of me. His motives were mysterious and his mask made his killing even more unsettling (shows absolutely no emotion). The thing that Zombie didn't realize is what many film makers don't, the unexplained and the unseen is the most frightening tool in a story tellers arsenal. When you try to explain Michael Myers or give him motivations you just turn him into another serial killer with a mask. It's like when you are building up a monster in a movie, you may hear it at the door and it could make the most horrific sounds. No matter what you show when you finally show it, it will be a let down. The imagination of each viewer will create something infinitely more frightening than you could possibly put on screen.

Carpenter made a great decision in not explaining the why behind Myers. People think it's lazy, but no matter how he would have explained it, it wouldn't have had the same effect.

How can people say F13th part 3 is one of the worst in the series? Shelly, The Shopkeepers, The pot smoking hippies, The Motorcycle punks, the introduction of the Hockey Mask? Come on maaaaan!!!

Part 5 & 8 rank the worst to me.

5 actually has a lot of good stuff in it, I just think the ending kind of soured it.

When I was young I always had a thing for Robot-dance chick, hahahahaha......

I thought 3 and 5 were easily two of the worst ones. Aside from Jason Goes To Hell, which is in a league of suckitude of its own.

Truthfully I shouldn't dump on the F13 series too hard. I've got a strange fascination with them, even while I completely admit the movies are total crap, I'm still oddly addicted to it. Part 6 and Freddy vs Jason are the only ones I'd say are outright good movies, but if almost any of 'em happen to be on Cinemax I'll usually watch it.

And I didn't mind X that much either. I didn't understand all the complaining about moving Jason to a scifi environment. So what? He was always a ludicrous character, especially with the infamously confused backstory which seemed to be rewritten with every installment in the movie. X wasn't great cinema, but at least they were trying to do something a little different with the franchise, which is laudable. On a similar note, I didn't hate Jason Takes Manhattan nearly as much as most people did. Sure, most of it took place on the boat, but I thought the one scene we got of Jason in Times Square was damn near worth the price of admission all by itself.

I like part 6 too, but I'm not really seeing it as a good one. I don't know... it was the first one I saw, and I think perhaps people roughly around my age like it for that reason.

But it's pretty silly. Dig up Jason and beat the shit out of him for no reason, then he gets struck by lightning, making him an invincible zombie... shades of Evil Dead 2, there, but not in the good way. And that sheriff? Dude cracks me up. He refers to turning on the siren in his police cruiser as "hit the noise and the cherries".

I liked the comedic aspect of it. For once, they weren't pretending like they took all this shit seriously. Plus they actually had some real actors in the cast as opposed to the usual "hire the cheapest twentysomething "teenagers" you can find", which helped. And the end sequence where Jason was shrugging off all those gunshots 'n stuff was fairly badass. As for reanimating Jason, well they had to do something after part 5 was so roundly hated by many of the fanboys because it didn't include him. Bolt of lightning, sure, why not, it was good enough for Frankenstein and Johnny 5, right?

I really enjoy most of this series. I own every entry on DVD, but mostly for the sake of having a complete series.

Part 1 - A definite classic. Some horrid acting, especially from Ned, the "clown" of the counselors. Gotta love the part where Ms. Voorhees' is decapitated. If you watch it in slow mo, or just pay close attention, Alice hits Ms. Voorhees' neck from the left with the machete, but her head severs from the right. C'mon, we even got Kevin Bacon!

Part 2 - A fun sequel. Ted steals the show in this one. The "fitness chick" Terri had a GREAT body, made all the more-enjoyable during her skinny-dipping scene. Jeff and Sondra, being the first two major characters introduced, get surprisingly killed about half-way through the film.

Part 3 - One of the better sequels. Gave us the hockey mask, Shelly, Chuck and Chili (the potheads). A bit of a cop-out ending though.

Part 4 - Again, gave us Crispin Glover and Corey Feldman. A very enjoyable, well-done "finish" to the series, with gore and makeup effects done by the master, Tom Savini. Also has one of the best killings of Jason in the series, with Feldman hitting him in the side of the head with a Machete, then Jason's head slowly sliding down the blade once he hits the floor.

Jasonmachete.gif

Part 5 - I actually like this one. It plays into the whole "New Beginning" subtitle, by setting up Tommy as the "new" Jason at the end of the film. Obviously a lot of people shit all over this one for Jason not actually being in the film, but I enjoy it for it's camp and humor. Junior and Ethel are great here, and there's even a short part with Miguel Núñez Jr. (Juwana Man, DJ from Street Fighter, etc.). Plus this film features a young Shavar Ross (Weasel from Family Matters). As a young man, I thought Robin was HAWT, and really enjoyed her topless scene. This one, IMO, is very passable and an acceptable entry in the series.

Part 6 - OK, so we're going to act as though Part 5 didn't happen. Alrighty then. This is one of the best of the series. It maintains the cheesiness of the series, but is actually very well done, and well acted. Hard to believe huh? This is the first film to give us unstoppable zombie Jason. Some great kills, and just a really fun movie. I enjoyed Jason getting his neck torn to shreds by the boat motor.

Part 7 - The first of the series I ever saw, so I am admittedly biased to it. This is my favorite entry, by far. The makeup department did the best job with Jason's overall look in this film. Kane Hodder, IMO, is the best Jason actor. He's a huge guy with a heavy muscle-build. The scenes of him "chasing" people through the woods are extra creepy. Upon rewatching this one recently, I'm not a big fan of Tina's father (who has been dead for about 10 years or so, and surprisingly, hasn't decomposed) magically coming to life, wrapping a chain around Jason's neck , and dragging him back into the lake. LAME. At least we were treated to a small role from Susan Blu (the voice of Arcee from the original Transformers Movie) as Tina's mom.

Part 8 - So, we go from badass rotting body, so Jason looking like he's just been sitting in a bathtub for too long. REALLY lame entry in the series. So, after swimming in some New York City toxic waste, Jason is reduced back to a child, and that's it? Paramount made my head hurt here.

Jason Goes to Hell - New Line Cinema: "OK everyone, we just got the rights to this series, so first order of business, let's KILL JASON FOR GOOD!". Fucking stupid idea, just relying on a gimmick to sell movie tickets (which didn't appear to work). So, Jason is actually a demon snake thing that hops from body to body, and when his body becomes too damaged, or rotted to use, he simply hops to another one? WHY DO YOU HAVE TO GO AND CHANGE THE ENTIRE BACK STORY, 9 ENTRIES INTO THE SERIES?!?!?! This one had some incredible gore effects, and a rather explicit (for the time, anyways) sex scene in the unrated edition. The "diner massacre" is one of my all-time favorite rampages.

Jason X - UGH! I like to think that the director/producers just said, "Hey, let's just have fun with this one!". That doesn't really make sense either, though. I don't even know where to being with the stupidity used in the making of this one, not do I have the time or effort to go into it.

Freddy vs Jason - I enoyed the hell out of this. It wasn't a GREAT film, but it was a hell of a lot of fun, and Monica Keena running around in a push-up bra for the entire film was perfectly acceptable to me. Ken Kirzinger did a good job as Jason, and Freddy dropped the wise-cracks, and went back to being evil incarnate. Freddy was allowed to hit, IMO, way too much offense on Jason in the final fight, but it's a fine entry in both series, IMO.

Last but not least, we have a little info on some new DVD's/Blu-Rays (FINALLY a home, 3-D version of Part 3) for the original series from IconsofFright.com:

Full Details, DVD Art For FRIDAY THE 13TH 1-3 DELUXE EDITIONS!

Expanding upon our previous report HERE, below are the full details, feature listings and DVD covers for all the new DELUXE EDITIONS of FRIDAY THE 13TH, FRIDAY THE 13TH PART 2 & FRIDAY THE 13TH PART 3 3D. The discs hit store shelves on February 3rd, 2009, a week before the Platinum Dunes remake of FRIDAY THE 13TH.

Of note: The first FRIDAY THE 13TH will be "uncut" with additional "gore" footage restored and not seen in previous US video editions. It'll also be the only entry featuring available in Blu-Ray.

FRIDAY THE 13TH 3 3D will feature both the regular 2D version, as well as (for the first time ever on DVD) 3D version, complete with a pair of 3D glasses. All 3 DELUXE EDITIONS are in Widescreen 16x9-enhanced with 5.1 Dolby Digital surround sound!

FRIDAY THE 13TH: DELUXE EDITION (UNCUT)

- Commentary: Commentary by director Sean Cunningham (on the WB international version - trying to access)

- Fresh Cuts: New Tales from "Friday the 13th"

- Man Behind the Legacy: Sean S. Cunningham

- Friday the 13th - Special Reunion

- Lost Tales from Camp Blood - Part 1

- Trailers: Theatrical Trailer - Used on 2004 release

fridaydeluxe1.jpg

FRIDAY THE 13TH PART 2:

- Inside Crystal Lake Memories

- Horror Convention

- Lost Tales from Camp Blood - Part 2

- Slasher Films: Going for the Jugular

- Jason Trivia Track (text)

- Jason Forever (Used on 2004 release/Best Buy bonus disc)

- Theatrical Trailer - Used on 2004 release

fridaydeluxe2.jpg

FRIDAY THE 13TH PART 3:

- 3D Version Of The Film

- Theatrical Trailer

fridaydeluxe3.jpg

The original FRIDAY THE 13TH was directed by Sean Cunningham from a script by Victor Miller and starred Adrienne King, Betsy Palmer, Kevin Bacon, Harry Crosby, Laurie Bartram, Jeannine Taylor, Mark Nelson & Ron Millkie. FRIDAY 2 & 3 were directed by Steve Miner.

Here's some "fun" news, from the same site, regarding the Halloween sequel:

Shock Till You Drop broke the news several weeks back, and now it's official! According to a post on Variety, it's been confirmed that Rob Zombie will in fact return to write and direct the sequel to his remake of John Carpenter's classic HALLOWEEN, HALLOWEEN 2 (going by the title H2)! Shooting begins in March of 2009 with an expected October 2009 release! (Good! Let's skip the August release this time around!) Tyler Mane is back as Michael Myers, and while yet-to-be confirmed, we expect Malcolm McDowell and Scout Taylor-Compton will also be back.

h2rz.jpg

The article says, "Dimension Films and Rob Zombie are teaming for another chapter of "HALLOWEEN," and he's racing to scare up the pic for release in October."

Zombie will write and direct "H2," the sequel to his 2007 reinvention of the John Carpenter horror classic. Production will begin in March.

The new film picks up right as the first remake ended, following the aftermath of Michael Myers' murderous rampage through the eyes of the sister he hunted.

Zombie said it won't resemble the original second installment, as the "House of 1000 Corpses" helmer continues to take the franchise in different directions.

Zombie took Carpenter's original and stamped it with an original storyline that treated Myers as a clinical psychopath. The film grossed $60 million domestically in 2007.

Zombie had told Dimension chief and TWC co-chairman Bob Weinstein he wanted nothing to do with a sequel. But just like the franchise's villain, Zombie was compelled to come back.

"I was so burned out. (But) I took a long break, made a record and I got excited again," Zombie said. "Now, we'll be hauling ass, and that's the problem making a movie called 'HALLOWEEN': If you come out Nov. 1 or after, nobody cares. If it was called anything else, I'd be fine."

Malek Akkad of Trancas Intl. Films will produce with Spectacle Entertainment's Andy Gould.

Well, at least with this Halloween sequel, they're releasing it in October instead of August. I thought that was really retarted with the first one, although it did end up making quite a bit of money.

So is the original Friday the 13th the only one of those three Friday "deluxe" releases that is Blue-Ray? All the same, either way I'm stoked to finally see the third film actually in 3-D.

Yep, the first is the only one hitting Blu-Ray, for the time being anyway. I'm looking forward to it. You'd be surprised how well some older, low budget films, make the transition to HD. The original Halloween, for instance, is one of the better-looking Blu-Ray's I own as far as picture quality is concerned. It's one of the main films that I use to show off the HDTV when people come over.

I can't wait to finally see F13th Pt. 3 in 3-D. The theaters around here have never done any midnight showings or anything like that, so I'm really excited to finally get a copy. I'll probably skip on Pt. 2 though.

Now, if only New Line would get on the ball and at least put the original Nightmare on Elm Street on Blu-Ray. I figure we may see that one around the time of the release of the remake, similar to Paramount's marketing of an HD Friday in time for the remake.

So the original Friday is the only one to be featured in blu-ray AND the only one to be presented UNCUT?

Fuck that noise. I mean since I already own the original box set, there is not enough to re-up for me, especially considering how expensive this could end up being.

I am kind of interested in the 3-D version of part 3, but if it is anything like the 3-D transfer of Freddys Dead......then you can stop all excitement now.

One weird thing: the new special editions are missing at least a couple of special features which were on the box set version. I know part 3 had a filmmakers' commentary track, for one thing. As for the 3D aspect, I wouldn't get my hopes up. I've never seen a home adaptation of a 3D movie which really got the technology to work properly.

I'm digging the trailer. Its nice to see Jason running again. The voice over from him mom is great.

It looks like we're going to get a Jason movie using today's production standards and I'm all for it.

Also, god knows all this torture horror has gotten stale. Bring on a good slasher with an iconic lead!

From the trailers I'm gathering that this isn't a remake after all - in one of the trailers the teen is recounting the story of how Jason's mom went nuts and killed all of these counsellors.. so I guess this is more like a sequel set sometime down the road, maybe after part 3 since he has the hockey mask?

The article says, "Dimension Films and Rob Zombie are teaming for another chapter of "HALLOWEEN," and he's racing to scare up the pic for release in October."

Ugh. Why does this talentless hack keep getting work?!

The new F13 uses the same storyline from The Final Chapter of the guy looking for his sister, but borrows elements from the first three films (Mrs. Voorhes, potato sack, hockey mask).

This is going to stray this thread off topic even more, but any theories how they are going to explain Myers didn't get his head shot off at the ending of Zombie's Halloween? They got some explaining to do if they are going ahead with this Halloween sequal (which wont even have Zombie attached to it at all, apparently...not yet at least). Sounds like an even worse idea than Platinum Dunes remaking Friday the 13th here and also apparently NOES.

Laurie shot him in the head (heavily implied anyway) with a Desert Eagle.

How's Zombie going to cop out?

A.) Laurie missed.

B.) Laurie was dreaming.

C.) Michael has supernatural powers.

D.) All of the above

E.) Other

From the trailers I'm gathering that this isn't a remake after all - in one of the trailers the teen is recounting the story of how Jason's mom went nuts and killed all of these counsellors.. so I guess this is more like a sequel set sometime down the road, maybe after part 3 since he has the hockey mask?

It seems to be parts 1-3 in one movie.

I heard that they are doing a background on Jason this time around of more than just a kid drowning in the lake with the lifeguards fucking. Is that going to piss people off?

Why would it piss people off? He's already got a backstory that was explained through most, if not all the films.

Ugh. Why does this talentless hack keep getting work?!

I'm right there with you

House of 1,000 Corpses 0/10

The Devil's Rejects 2/10 (the most overrated horror movie I can think of)

Halloween 3/10

He seems to use the exact same dialogue in every movie...at least it sounds the same "Blah blah fuck fuck blah blah skull fuck your ass blah blah."