TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Slickster

Friday The 13th (2009)

The article says, "Dimension Films and Rob Zombie are teaming for another chapter of "HALLOWEEN," and he's racing to scare up the pic for release in October."

Ugh. Why does this talentless hack keep getting work?!

I'm right there with you

House of 1,000 Corpses 0/10

The Devil's Rejects 2/10 (the most overrated horror movie I can think of)

Halloween 3/10

He seems to use the exact same dialogue in every movie...at least it sounds the same "Blah blah fuck fuck blah blah skull fuck your ass blah blah."

My point exactly. A lot of people are brushing his piss-poor writing abilities aside and acting like he's the best thing to happen to horror in the past decade. The characters in all his movies are interchangeable. All he seems to be able to write are white-trash characters than say fuck a lot. It really doesn't make things any better with the "TUTTI FUCKIN' FROOTIE" scene from Devil's Rejects. This guy is a hack.

There are some rumors out there that Zombie didn't even want to do Halloween 2, but Lions Gate basically told him that unless he gives them their cash cow, they won't fund any of his pet project films he wants to do.

And, really Devils Rejects is not a horror movie, it is a take on 70's exploitation flicks. It's isn't great by any means, but if you view it as a "horror film" it comes off as worse.

House of 1000 Corpses had it's moments, I really liked the opening of the movie, but overall it was poor.

The Halloween, remake, re-imagining, whatever the fuck, was garbage. Easily the worst of the three.

It is out already. What is everybody's prediction for opening weekend? I am saying 35-40 million. has anybody found a link online for it?

I'd try brightsidevideos.com

An excellent homage to the original series while also working as a good starting point for a reset franchise. Oh, and it's a good standalone movie too.

The first 10-15 minutes of the movie immediately establish this Jason as someone not to be fucked with. The theater I was in gave a huge ovation once the sequence ended.

You get the impression that the filmmakers watched the first few Fridays, picked out their favorite shots/moments, and figured out how to incorporate them into the script.

A lot more sex and drugs in this film (with T+A around the level of Part V).

An updated soundtrack using cues from Manfredini and a lot of hip popular music from various genres.

Unlike Rob Zombie, the F13 team knows how to write dialogue that is believable and appropriate for the characters.

Definitely worth watching if you're a fan of slasher movies.

An excellent homage to the original series while also working as a good starting point for a reset franchise. Oh, and it's a good standalone movie too.

The first 10-15 minutes of the movie immediately establish this Jason as someone not to be fucked with. The theater I was in gave a huge ovation once the sequence ended.

You get the impression that the filmmakers watched the first few Fridays, picked out their favorite shots/moments, and figured out how to incorporate them into the script.

A lot more sex and drugs in this film (with T+A around the level of Part V).

An updated soundtrack using cues from Manfredini and a lot of hip popular music from various genres.

Unlike Rob Zombie, the F13 team knows how to write dialogue that is believable and appropriate for the characters.

Definitely worth watching if you're a fan of slasher movies.

You're review, plus some of the people on a horror message board I post, make me even more excited for this film!

He's not a review. He's a MAN!

Lol, thanks for pointing that out, lol. That's what I get for posting early, with little sleep.

I know this isn't saying much, but on RottenTomatoes.com, its actually getting like 28%, which is actually higher than what I expected it to be, given the way everyone reacts to previews of the movie, like "another Jason movie, why?" I still think Friday the 13th is the best of the slasher movies to be remade, as there really was no definitive movie in that series, meanwhile with Halloween and Nightmare on Elm Street, the originals are hailed as classics, so there was no reason for those to be remade.

Back from seeing it. It's definately the best of the Platinum Dunes movies/remakes so far, and is a lot of fun.

Pros

-

Derek Mears as Jason. Next to Kane Hodder, he may be the best one yet. Here, Jason is a pissed off mother fucker, who shows a vicious streek not seen since 2-4.

-

Travis Van Winkle plays a character who's basically one of my favorite horror movie cliches: the asshole who gets his. He plays said asshole to a T, and the audience cheered when he bit the big one.

-

The Kills are great. The highlight happens to a topless chick at the dock-I won't spoil more, but it's one of the best kills in the franchise, and must be seen to be appreciated.

-

Andrew Yoo plays a stoner whose not annoying, and a step up from the poor Jay immitation from Freddy vs. Jason.

-

The two leads (Jared Padalecki and Danielle Panabaker) aren't too bad actually.

-

It really doesn't feel like a remake at all. It feels more like another entry in the series, albeit an enjoyable one.

-

There are plenty of nods to the original movies (notice the wheelchair in Jason's lair, for example) to please fans. You can tell this is from people who respect the franchise, and didn't want to deviate too much from the formula.

-

It delivers what you'd expect-gratuitous nudity, sex, drugs, and a masked, deformed, retarded, hulking killer knocking off dumb teens in inventive ways. In short, you know what you want out of it, and it mostly delivers.

Cons

-

Jason felt a bit too smart for his own good here. He plots, and tricks teens. It's weird to see a smarter Jason. Hell, he even kidnaps a teen, which just doesn't work.

-

The score is way too Hollywood. I mean, I know, it's a Michael Bay produced remake, but come on, at least throw in something reminiscent of the original

score.

Overall: 7.5/10. It doesn't set out to reinvent anything, and that's just fine. It has all the cliches you'd want, gore, a badass Jason, great kills, and delivers exactly what one would expect-which is all one wants really. Unlike Rob Zombie's take on "Halloween", this is a movie that knows what it wants to be, doesn't become a terrible attempt at a character study, and is just a more entertaining movie that never becomes too somber or forced for it's own good. See it with friends and a packed audience.

Good movie/remake, I enjoyed the TCM and Halloween remakes better. This is probably one of the top Friday the 13th movies now.

Don't worry, Zombie's currently casting a necrophiliac morgue assistant* for part two, so he's going to be classing it up big time.

*God I wish I was joking.

Well I think we know two people that would be perfect for the role.

Kane-wwe01.jpg TripleH012.jpg

Just got back. Wow. It was a lot better then I expected. The trailers looked good, but not enough to make me thing I would be this satissfied after the movie was over.

The kills were cool, and they managed to write a script that wasn't overly annoying. They managed to find that fine line between cheezy-goodness and annoying and stuck with the former.

I do agree with the sentiment that it didn't really feel like a remake at all, and more like a new updated installment, which is perfectly fine by me.

I guess the only con I would have would be,

Like some other posters said, he was a little smart for my liking, especially all the underground tunnels and secret entrances/escapes, I mean he is supposed to be a retarded mutant killing machine, but really this is a minor gripe

Oh and also,

at the end, they kind of went out of there way to show Jason would still live, when the chain got cut in the branch cutting machine, it seemed like they obviously wanted everyone to see that his head didn't go all the way in and just kind of got cut up a lot, and then throwing him and his mask in the lake, along with having the knowledge of all the jump-scare endings in previous installments, but again this is a minor griple

My theater was packed and it was nice to see a crowd so enthusiastic for a franchise that hasn't been around for awhile, I mean there is Jason X and FvJ, but those are kind of alternative-world Jason movies if you ask me.

I saw this last night for my birthday, and I must say, this is the most fun I have had at the movies in a long time. Being the huge FRIDAY fan that I am (look at my name), this was such a fun film. It was everything that an old school 1980's slasher film was. It had the killings that were very well done. It had sex with the nudity, and it had comedy in all the right places to make the scares great. Everyone in the theater was having a good time. Once the title screen that had FRIDAY THE 13th came up, the theater went nuts and started clapping. What a fun movie that should be taken for what it is A SLASHER FILM. This is not CITIZEN CANE and anyone that is trying to take this movie seriously, really needs to get the priorities right. The acting wasn't great, but I DARE you to find a FRIDAY movie that had good acting. It was what it was supposed to be!

That's the problem with some horror fans, they take these movies WAAAAY too seriously. My wife, who has NEVER seen a horror film in the theater before, and has seen a total of maybe 4 movies, all within the past 3 years, had a good time with this. She actually liked it. One of my friends also just told me, after watching this he has hope for horror again. Some horror fans just need to stop taking this stuff seriously and have fun with this stuff like it's supposed to be. I would see this again in the theater, and just might. MY BLOODY VALENTINE was fun and so was this in it's own right.

You know, with the long, long history of people adding seemingly random numbers to logon handles, and the amount of time he's been here, I never took 213 to mean February 13th. I actually thought I was calling him out on C&Ping comments he made on like, a horror forum where his name is VorheesFTW or some such. Good catch.

Saw it tonight - not bad, not bad. I didn't mind this at all. This is well above Hallowe'en and TCM remakes. I'd have to say that the first Hills Have Eyes remake and this are probably the best of the remake crop.

Also, what am I missing that I don't see how 213 = Friday the 13th?

2 = February

13 = 13th

Someone explain this to me. My girlfriend bought Friday the 13th: Uncut, on Blu-Ray for me for Valentine's Day, and the picture quality is AMAZING. What is it about low-budget films that are nearly 30 years old that look so fucking awesome in HD? I've owned the original Halloween for over a year, and it's been the HD film of choice that I use to show off my TV when people come over. I own other films like Dark Knight and Iron Man on Blu-Ray, and aside from DK's IMAX scenes (which make my TV do things I didn't know 1080p could do), these 2 old films have picture quality that is out of this world, and blow the newer films out of the water.

If anyone owns an HDTV and doesn't already own this on DVD, VHS, or whatever, or just wouldn't mind owning the film in HD, I can't recommend this enough.

Okay well that's the 13th of February, not Friday the 13th. :lol: Unless CD213 knew that this movie was being released in Feb 2009 when he joined here three years ago, I call bullshit. ;)

2 = February

13 = 13th

Someone explain this to me. My girlfriend bought Friday the 13th: Uncut, on Blu-Ray for me for Valentine's Day, and the picture quality is AMAZING. What is it about low-budget films that are nearly 30 years old that look so fucking awesome in HD? I've owned the original Halloween for over a year, and it's been the HD film of choice that I use to show off my TV when people come over. I own other films like Dark Knight and Iron Man on Blu-Ray, and aside from DK's IMAX scenes (which make my TV do things I didn't know 1080p could do), these 2 old films have picture quality that is out of this world, and blow the newer films out of the water.

If anyone owns an HDTV and doesn't already own this on DVD, VHS, or whatever, or just wouldn't mind owning the film in HD, I can't recommend this enough.

The original film has to be digitally scanned frame by frame and restored digitally for a Blu Ray release of an older movie. As long as the original isn't beyond repair, it will look even that much better than most of the standard (not ones that are digitally remastered) DVD releases because of this.