TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Slickster

Friday The 13th (2009)

Yeah, someone else commented on the quality of the Blu-Ray Friday the 13th uncut.........wow, just amazing picture, and particularly, the sound was off the charts. Missed what exactly constituted that as "uncut" but all the same, great stuff.

Part 2 (which was released as a deluxe edition on DVD) was definately upgraded as well in terms of audio/picture quality. Also, watched the 3D version of Part 3, and wow, some really hit or miss stuff there, think I need to check it out on a different TV or something, as I was still seeing alot of double vision in spots versus what should be actual 3D stuff popping out, if that makes any sense.

As for the new remake, holy shit consider me totally impressed by it. Like alot have said, it felt more like a literal sequal versus a "startover" or whatnot. My mind was kind of telling me this was set after Freddy v. Jason somehow......Jason just becomes this recluse soul living in the woods and everyone is too afraid to even come close anymore, they just let him be since killing him never seems to work.

Platinum Dunes totally impressed me here, and not sure what made the difference versus the other times they have bombed so bad on horror remakes. Having Sean Cuttingham a part of this was probably huge, as is the writers being the same from Freddy v. Jason.

Yeah, someone else commented on the quality of the Blu-Ray Friday the 13th uncut.........wow, just amazing picture, and particularly, the sound was off the charts. Missed what exactly constituted that as "uncut" but all the same, great stuff.

Eh, it was about 10 seconds of extra footage. You get uncut footage of the following:

Annie, the Hitchhiker, getting her throat cut by Ms. Voorhees. No "fade to white" until she hits the ground.

Jack (Kevin Bacon) getting the arrow through his neck. No cutaway, and lots more blood. However, when the camera goes to an overhead view, the neck looks VERY fake.

Ms. Voorhees beheading is several seconds longer. You see a set of hairy hands (those of Tom Savini's assistant, IIRC) reaching up towards the bloody stump.

Being the huge FRIDAY fan that I am (look at my name)

Nothing says "Friday the 13th" fan like Petey Williams Finisher 213.

Wow, I totally forgot about that part. I copied this from another message board that I post on, ad my user name is Jason Hodder. That shows me, to reread a post before I run out of the house.

So I'm just throwing this out there.......since this one is going to be a huge success for New Line and PD, it's probably inevitable they will do another one. Unless its the same writers involved, I fear the worst, given how decent the TCM remake was, and how f'n awful the prequel/sequel to that was.

So IF they do another one (and the cool thing would be that it would be Friday number 13, which would be fitting to perhaps completely end the series) where do you go with it? It's clear

that they haven't killed off Jason whatsoever, by the end of the new film.

So they gotta be thinking something up already, one would think.

I'd say what they should do is attempt to do something very similar to this to the Nightmare on Elm Street franchise, "reboot" it but don't do a straight remake of the original, tie it in so it can reestablish Krueger to a new audience, yet still keeping the old audience interested by fusing elements of past Elm Street films into this one to almost create a new sequel out of it. An idea off the top of my head would be to have the main teen in the new Elm Street be a child of one of the survivors of a previous Elm Street film, like perhaps Alice's kid from Part 4/5. Or Freddy's daughter's kid from Freddy's Dead, thus Krueger would be chasing his own niece or nephew essentially.

So lets say they do that, and the new Elm Street is as much as a hit as the new Friday appears to be here. I'd just say lets go ahead and finish it off for good with another Freddy v. Jason.

From what I read on bloody-disgusting.com, I believe it was that site, the people at PD said they are going to work on the NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET film first, and then do a sequel to F13. Thinking about it, since PD did TCM and F13, could it be possible that we are on the way to another VS film.

As an aside, from an interview from a while ago, I remember Robert Englund saying that he's been signed to the new ANOE, but as Freddy before he's a dream killer since he didn't want to get into the make-up. I'm interested. And with these three icons done, and with CANDYMAN (more like the story than the original film), HELLRAISER (which Doug Bradley has signed on for), and CHILD'S PLAY (More like Don Mancini's script and with Brad Dourif signed on), on the way, I was thinking it would be awesome to have a boxed set of all the remakes/reboots/reimages.

The thing that bothers me about an NOES remake or reboot.. is that Englund IS Freddy. You can get any big hoss in a mask to be Jason, Myers or Leatherface.. but there's only one Freddy. =\

The thing that bothers me about an NOES remake or reboot.. is that Englund IS Freddy. You can get any big hoss in a mask to be Jason, Myers or Leatherface.. but there's only one Freddy. =\

I tend to agree, but if they are at least going to have him be the Krueger character before the fire and his "death" that is better than nothing. I'm very interested to see how they will make the new burned up dream master Freddy look cosmetically, that is for sure.

I just read they have a writer and director attached now. Production is supposed to start sometime in the spring, I would think late spring at this point.

The writer was the same guy who did Arachnaphobia and Doom (ugh) which begs the question.......what the fuck? He has no experience in horror at all.

As for the director, I guess his only claim to fame is directing music videos, including Smells Like Teen Spirit. Again, ZERO experience with horror.

Not convinced this Elm Street reboot is going to be as promising as Friday the 13th turned out at this point.

Yeah, Friday the 13th was probably the easiest horror franchise to reboot/make sequels for because of how bland a character Jason himself is. A big hulky beast of a man weilding a special weapon of choice. Even if you loved Kane Hodder the best as Jason, it's not like the Friday's without him lost much because he wasn't playing Jason. There is no face attached to the Jason Character, just a Hockey Mask and a Machete....

On the other hand......

ROBERT ENGLUND is the reason Freddy Krueger is the horror icon we all know and love. Personally, I think having him in the movie at all is worse then just not having him in there. Isn't that going to risk Robert Englund outshining and stealing the show away from whoever ends up playing Freddy? It will be just another reminder of "Hey look it's me Robert Englund, and guess who I'm not playing for the rest of the movie?"

Oh yeah and the director they chose.....UUUUUUUUUUUUGH.

I have to disagree with the judgment.

Yes, Robert Englund has been Freddy for all these movies. But to not even give someone a CHANCE to play Freddy is just wrong. It's like how I had someone complain that the new Star Trek movie wouldn't have William Shatner playing James T. Kirk.

At least give the guy a CHANCE to prove if he's good for the role of Freddy or not. He may surprise you, he may not.

I have to disagree with the judgment.

Yes, Robert Englund has been Freddy for all these movies. But to not even give someone a CHANCE to play Freddy is just wrong. It's like how I had someone complain that the new Star Trek movie wouldn't have William Shatner playing James T. Kirk.

At least give the guy a CHANCE to prove if he's good for the role of Freddy or not. He may surprise you, he may not.

Oh don't worry I'll give him a chance. If the NOES trailer ends up being as cool as the F13th remake trailer then yeah I'll give it a shot. One other thing, it's not like it's been THAT long since Robert Englund has played Freddy, he is still very fresh in most people's minds. That will make it harder too.

It's not like this is a UNIVERSAL horror film that is over 50 years old, and no one really knows about.

I think I've mentioned it previously in this very thread, though I can't be arsed to look it up, but I'd rather see a prequel about Freddy murdering kids leading up to his burning demise at the hands of the Springfield parents than another Freddy-romping-through-dreams movie. Less humor, less slasher flick stuff and more psychological thriller crime movie type stuff. Maybe like the first Saw or something.

http://www.latinoreview.com/news/exclusive...-rorschach-6172

For those who don't have time to read the article (or the web address), there's a rumor going around that the director of the new NOES wants Jackie Earle Haley for the role of Freddy. I'd be much happier with that than Billy Bob Thornton, as an older rumor suggested.

In December it was 'Benjamin Button', in January it was "Notorious", this month though it's the chart-topping remake of "Friday the 13th" that's lead to one strange act of real-life violence.

According to The Express, a party to celebrate the launch of the film last Friday became like a scene out of it when actor Warrington Gillette, who played Jason Vorhees in 1981's "Friday the 13th Part 2", was attacked with an axe.

The actor arrived in full costume, wearing the character's famous ice hockey mask, and took to the stage to frighten partygoers wielding a real axe.

However a woman took the performance seriously, invading the stage and trying to wrestle the weapon away from him, In the process he slashed his hand.

A source says "She jumped on stage and tried to grab his axe. It was straight out of a horror movie. Lingerie-clad models were running and screaming, as a blood-soaked Jason ran off the runway to get to a hospital."

Some people...

I tend to agree, but if they are at least going to have him be the Krueger character before the fire and his "death" that is better than nothing. I'm very interested to see how they will make the new burned up dream master Freddy look cosmetically, that is for sure.

See I think that's even worse. Freddy isn't like Jason, Myers, Leatherface where you can't tell who he is because there's a mask. Freddy is Freddy, burned or not. So I think it'd be weird to see Englund unburned and then some other dude afterward.

I mean, I'll give the new guy a chance.. sure.. but this is going to be the toughest remake to "get over" IMO given that Freddy's personality and "legendary horror status" is almost 100% from the greatness that is Robert Englund.

I saw this today, finally. I really enjoyed it. I don't want to get too much into details at the moment, but this is definitely one of the better remakes I have ever seen.

I actually really liked this. I was really weary going into this, but it really surprised me. The beginning is one helluva way to start a movie I must say. Oh, and Willa Ford topless = :) (Yes I know she was in Playboy)

I saw it today and it was like every other bland and boring horror movie. I've discovered I really can't stand most horror movies.

That said, the beginning was cool. Was hoping the daughter from Shark would get naked.

(Given that we've discussed more than Friday the 13th in this thread, Venkman is going to rename this thread later)

The first script review for the new Nightmare on Elm Street remake. Unfortunately, it's a video from Latino Review, so fans of reading words, I'm sorry.

http://latinoreview.com/news/exclusive-a-l...elm-street-6448

Plotline from the video:

-There is more of a mystery element to Freddy's backstory, and it directly involves the five teenagers the story deals with in the present day. Instead of a janitor, Freddy is the handsome caretaker at a preschool in Springwood until he is (perhaps falsely) ratted out by Nancy, Quentin (reminiscent of the original's Glen), Jesse (Rod), Kris (Tina-I see what you did there, writers), and Dean.

According to the video, Nancy is a shy goth chick, Quentin is her love interest and founder of the "Insomnia Radio" podcast (ugh), Dean is a preppy kid, and Kris and Jesse are analogues for the other couple in the original. Given that Dean wasn't in the original, he's the first to die...as his friends play Guitar Hero. The horror.

Be assured though that the kills sound gory and that Freddy the comedian is nonexistent in the script. In fact, he's largely silent. There are many homages to the franchise, including a redo of the infamous bathtub scene.

I'm just playing it safe with the spoilers. They also note that there's a cameo role for Robert Englund.

First impressions of what they mentioned about the script (particularly the new ideas floated around) sounds horrible to be honest. I wish they would have just hired the same writers as Freddy v. Jason and the new Friday the 13th instead, since they seem to get the idea of blending the nostalgia of the franchise and reboot it properly at the same time.

I forget what I agreed to do. Is this being renamed or turned into a split topic?

Either way, consult Jingus... I mean, I suppose I can do it, but basically just pretend I'm still just the wrestling guy who happens to be able to split topics and look at user IPs elsewhere.