TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lord of The Curry

X-Men Origins: Wolverine

.....you know they aren't playing their t.v characters in the movie, right?

Yeah but its always dodgy (at least for me) when a movie has people from an established TV show in it. It degrades the movie. Movie actors into a TV show is fine, but for some reason TV actors into a movie... feels odd.

Most of the time that's the natural progression for an actor, though.

.....you know they aren't playing their t.v characters in the movie, right?

Yeah but its always dodgy (at least for me) when a movie has people from an established TV show in it. It degrades the movie. Movie actors into a TV show is fine, but for some reason TV actors into a movie... feels odd.

Most of the time that's the natural progression for an actor, though.

I guess and it happens over time, but in my mind they've been typecast as one character as its the only established role they've had.

Why, yeah. The Fresh Prince of Bel Air saved us from an alien invasion, both as a pilot and as a man in black. Then he went to the wild wild west where he was a bad boy cop when suddenly he got down on his luck with his wife and had to sleep on a subway station with his kid. But suddenly he realized he's a special human species with superpowers which he used to help get men hitched to their desired ladies, only to find himself lonely as the last man on earth.

All while rapping to "Parents Just Don't Understand."

Why, yeah. The Fresh Prince of Bel Air saved us from an alien invasion, both as a pilot and as a man in black. Then he went to the wild wild west where he was a bad boy cop when suddenly he got down on his luck with his wife and had to sleep on a subway station with his kid. But suddenly he realized he's a special human species with superpowers which he used to help get men hitched to their desired ladies, only to find himself lonely as the last man on earth.

All while rapping to "Parents Just Don't Understand."

Boo-urns for not working in an Ali reference!

Also, he turned down the role of Neo in the Matrix...imagine how different THAT would have been. I wonder if they still would have cast Laurence Fishburne as Morpheus?

Imagine if he had taken Neo and Sean Connery had taken the role of Morpheus, as was rumored before Sean turned it down because he "didn't understand" it (although in retrospect I suppose he was right). That would be a bizarre looking kung-fu sparring session.

IIRC Connery turned down the roles of Morpheus in Matrix, Gandalf in the LOTR Trilogy and Dumbeldore in the Harry Potter franchise.

But yet he did accept LXG. Go figure. I really couldn't have imagined Will Smith playing Neo at all. That would have been weird. That's probably one of the few roles that Keanu Reeves was actually well casted for, considering that he basically plays a confused computer hacker who has no clue what's going on, which he's good at.

He would have made a great Dumbledore, and I *HATE* Harry Potter.

Gandalf, not so much. Ian McKellen did extremely well with that role.

Morpheus, hell no. Fishburne pretty much OWNED that role from the second you heard his voice.

My issue with Connery is that his ego has gotten bigger with age. If someone offers you a prominent role in a movie that is going to be huge, you take it.

Note that this is NOT an April Fools Day joke:

In what may be the biggest pre-release movie leak of all time, a high quality work print rip of Fox Studios' X-Men Origins: Wolverine has hit the internet a month before the movie is scheduled for cinema release. While the Work Print contains some unfinished effects work (Some wire work is yet to be removed, some special effects need polishing), and is rumoured to not contain 10 minutes of footage that was shot during recent re-shoots, it still represents a huge slap in the face to Fox, and could cost them 10's of millions of dollars. The movie release date may be pushed forward to minimise the damage - especially if the fan boy reaction of those that have seen it is negative.

Check out the coverage:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/40609

http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/2008-12-6-moti...nt-leaks-online

http://chud.com/articles/articles/18792/1/...RNET/Page1.html

http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/03/31/x-men-...-leaked-online/

I've not seen it, but a lot of people are saying it's crap. True, it's unfinished, but it's actually had a negative buzz for a while. The script that got a out a while ago didn't make it sound up to much either. Ryan Reynolds is supposed to be really good, but he doesn't get much screen time at all.

I wouldn't even bother watching this kind of bootlegged material, even for free. Unfinished effects? Wirework?

Sorry but I prefer to watch the finished product.

I've not seen it, but a lot of people are saying it's crap. True, it's unfinished, but it's actually had a negative buzz for a while. The script that got a out a while ago didn't make it sound up to much either. Ryan Reynolds is supposed to be really good, but he doesn't get much screen time at all.

I won't say what, but after watching it I can say that there is one point in the movie that fanboys will be shitting all over.

I watched about an hour of it via www.watch-movies-links.net last night. It was decent enough, I was planning on watching the rest tonight, but it looks like the links for it have been taken down....

At this point it's a movie run by executives who have no idea how to tell a comic book story. Ever since Singer got removed from the franchise, it's been fluff, and this movie only embellishes it. I will say this, given how they are advertising the movie and showing off the various mutants like this is X-Men 4, people are going to be royally pissed when they see the payoff. This round to the hater fanboys.

Heard nothing but negative feedback myself from a few other boards I frequent. Thoughts seem to be that, even though this is unfinished, no amount of CGI or "re-shoots" will change the fact it is a piece of shit overall, which sucks.

Well, at least the PS3 game still looks pretty awesome.

At this point it's a movie run by executives who have no idea how to tell a comic book story. Ever since Singer got removed from the franchise, it's been fluff, and this movie only embellishes it. I will say this, given how they are advertising the movie and showing off the various mutants like this is X-Men 4, people are going to be royally pissed when they see the payoff. This round to the hater fanboys.

Well, it's trying to do too much. I'll give Singer this; his movies were not mind-blowing, but they were pretty solid and never attempted to do too much. The Last Stand was trying to combine a half dozen different important storylines, and never gave any of them the time and effort they truly needed. The Wolverine movie seems to be the same way (I haven't watched the bootleg, but I can tell from the trailers); get as many references in, but don't worry about how you include them. It's all quite frustrating.

@Anakin: Post in spoiler-tags what it was. I'm interested, but not interested enough to download and sit through the entire movie for it.

I've seen it. It's not very good.

The biggest problem is Deadpool. Or, at least, this

thing that they decided to give the name Deadpool to. Remember how bad they fucked up Bane in Batman and Robin? Or how about Galactus in Fantastic Four 2? This is WORSE. Not even kidding, just a horrible mutilation of the character which shows nothing but contempt for the fanbase. Other fans might be pissed at how at the beginning it flirts with the backstory of the Origins comic book, but then blows it off and makes up a whole new story from there.

Even aside from that, it's simply not a good film. It seems like half of it is just Wolverine sitting around and moping about how bad his life sucks. It opens up gaping plot holes in the franchise. Such as, "if Sabertooth is Wolverine's brother and they spent over a century side by side, why the fuck didn't he recognize Wolverine when they met again in the first X-Men movie?" Not to mention wondering how 'Tooth went from being a fairly ordinary-looking guy to being gargantuan Tyler Mane as well. William Stryker is also one of the main villains here, played by a different guy, and interpreted like he is a different guy from the one we saw in X-Men 2. (So, how did he wiggle out of those murder charges, and also still remain in the military after his disasterous fuckup here?)

Some of the action scenes are decent, in a PG-13 sort of way. And I gotta admit that Liev Schrieber is surprisingly good as Sabertooth. He looks like a reject from Underworld in his stupid trenchcoat, but he plays the part well. And the few times they let Hugh Jackman do some comedy scenes (the one in the bathroom especially), it's worth a laugh. But too much of the movie is Wolverine sitting somewhere dark, drinking heavily, with an "oh god my life sucks look on his face. And that hideous abomination they claim to be Deadpool is the final nail in the coffin.

Deadpool (I forget his real name) was a member of a special all-mutants combat team that Stryker put together, which also included Wolverine, Sabertooth, and a few others. He wasn't exactly Deadpool then either, just a soldier who used a ninja sword and talked a lot of shit.

Much later on in the movie, we find out that Stryker has been basically running a Mamet con on Wolverine and all the other mutants. He takes their DNA samples, and uses that to "pool" all their powers into one super-mutant. This is "Deadpool", aka Weapon XI. He can teleport, shoot Cyclops eye lasers, and has extendable metal blades (not exactly like Wolverine's, more like Baraka from Mortal Kombat 2). And oh yeah, his mouth is melted shut and he's not wearing any kind of super costume. Wolverine quickly kicks his ass and cuts his head off. So, yeah, Deadpool.

Keep in mind that there were re-shoots (including more Ryan Reynolds footage) that aren't in the work print, so what we see in the work print may have changed completely.

No, but it has been stated that the leaked cut is unfinished. Lots of things can change in the editing room.

Won't account for all of the continuity errors they've created, though.

Alright so I caught this one tonight, opening night for us Australians.

I didn't hate it, at all. The turn out was huge here, and my girlfriend, who really couldn't give three shits about superhero movies, really enjoyed it - I don't know if that says anything.

Yeah, continuity errors and the like, although I do not get half the complaints people have made. Jackman's performance was brilliant, and I liked the underlying story between him and his love interest, even if the ending kind of negates it all. Yeah, they could've done more with a lot of the characters - but it was a nice, tight, fun and stupid action flick that didn't drag the fuck on. It won't shock and amaze you, but I think you'll have a good time. Few complaints on my end is the general lack of blood and some seriously shithouse CGI (Logan claws and mirror scene, anyone?) at times, but otherwise - decent.