TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Boxer

Mike Adamle: The Thread

Book him as Mayor Adam West from Family Guy.

No, they should have gotten the actual Adam West. He could have even sung his own theme song. "ADAM WEEESSSTT, ADAM WEEESSSTT….and a little bit softer now… adam weeessstt…"

If they go with Adamle the moron, they really need some sort of American Gladiators themed exhibition (preferrably The Eliminator) to determine a number one contender for the night, like Eugene's musical chairs. And have him hosting it, completely deadpan and treating it as if it were an actual episode of American Gladiators in it's heyday.

They should get random ex-American Gladiators to show up as his personal security when everyone inevitably tries to intimidate him.

"Hey, have you met my friend Laser?"

Now I really want a Jillian vs. Siren match.

Jillian: singing awfully

Siren: uhm, I may be deaf but even I know you suck.

and then she procedes to beat the crap out of Jillian with a giant q-tip.

Siren died a few months ago :(

As far as the crowd reaction to the Cole/Lawler vs. Priceless match, I think it was disappointment. I, for one, was looking forward the match as it was booked. It was perfect just as it was.

As far as Cole is concerned...

How can someone be in the business as long as he has, and obviously love it, but yet, bump as horrible as that?!?!

I'd like to say Adamle is really not as bad as some of the worst angles/gimmicks the WWE/F has pulled off in the past. Think about it...

Repo Man?

Mae Young birthing a hand?!?

The Gobbled...aw, hell, I'm not even going to go there! :P

So, given the WWE's record, I'd say give him a chance. After all he can't possibly be as bad as Jack Tunney, The Spirit Squad, or The Stooges...can he?

As far as Cole is concerned...

How can someone be in the business as long as he has, and obviously love it, but yet, bump as horrible as that?!?!

Um, I don't know, because, being that he is an announcer, he has never TRAINED to take bumps?

I'd like to say Adamle is really not as bad as some of the worst angles/gimmicks the WWE/F has pulled off in the past. Think about it...

Repo Man?

Mae Young birthing a hand?!?

The Gobbled...aw, hell, I'm not even going to go there! :P

I'm not going to defend the latter two, but what's so bad about Repo Man? The fact that the performer made it a hundred times more entertaining than it was originally intended?

So, given the WWE's record, I'd say give him a chance. After all he can't possibly be as bad as Jack Tunney, The Spirit Squad, or The Stooges...can he?

I cannot decide: gimmick poster or nitwit who unreasonably confuses authority figures, cronies and wrestling stables?

Um, I don't know, because, being that he is an announcer, he has never TRAINED to take bumps?

Put yourself in his position....

Being a fan, as you are, if you were on the announce team, would you not work on bumping in every effort to make your one (and possibly only) spot look good?

I'm not going to defend the latter two, but what's so bad about Repo Man? The fact that the performer made it a hundred times more entertaining than it was originally intended?

Barry, at the time, was a great worker with one hell of a resume. It was painful for me to watch. At least he seemed to enjoy his new gimmick.

I cannot decide: gimmick poster or nitwit who unreasonably confuses authority figures, cronies and wrestling stables?

Nice try, but flaming me (again) won't get a rise out of (again) :P

And, you miss the point. They all were involved in angles where they had influence in booking. Raw's GM falls into the same category.

I really never had an opinion on the Repo Man gimmick. I kind of thought it was weird, but never really hurt anything. The Spirit Squad however, I thought sucked, and I am glad that I never have to see that again. I even liked a couple of workers of the group from their OVW days, like Kenny and Johnny, but I don't ever want to see them again after that horrible gimmick. So far, WWE management must agree with me, since I think there is only 1 member from that group still employed.

Teams and gimmicks like the Spirit Squad, Eugene, Zack Gowen, and soon to be Colin Delaney failed is that Vince tried too hard to shove the gimmick down our throat. I remember when Gowen was siding with Hulk Hogan before making his in-ring debut and for months all we saw was Gowen all over our TV. By the time he debuted, I didn't care one bit for him.

How to book Adamle...have him booked as a very serious, all-business type of guy. At first, no one takes him seriously but eventually he turns the product around and has RAW running smoothly. Just as he has RAW running on all cylinders, Vince comes back and fires him. He puts Stephanie or Shane in charge and the chaos suddenly resumes. And this time, Vince can't keep order and after all these years of being the bad-ass in charge the act has worn thin and all hell has broken loose.

I miss the spirit squad. :(

If they only had/made them do more crazy trampoline shit. Trampoline matches coulda be the next TLC.

Adamle + trampoline = ratings. I think I just love the word trampoline.

Was Colin Delany really shoved down people's throat? I mean, you wouldn't even know he existed if you didn't watch ECW, but I think he did appear on a Raw this year. I agree with you on the others though. Gimmicks like Eugene and Gowan are the worst guys to have on wrestling, because when people watch wrestling, they want to see larger than life characters, not disability gimmicks. It didn't help that these characters were so annoying and pushed to hard, to where you wanted to see them get beat down. I mean, who really would want Eugene to beat HHH? Why would you feel sorry for Zack Gowan getting beat down, since his character on TV was that it was his dream to be a wrestler? If the guy wants to be in a violent sport, let him get beat down. Also, it would be really embarrassing if anyone jobbed to a one-legged guy, and I think Matt Hardy is lucky that jobbing to him didn't kill his career, as WWE realized jobbing him was a mistake and Gowan never appeared on TV again, and got released. I don't mean to sound like a jerk or anything, but thats the way I feel about those gimmicks in wrestling.

DarKnight: That, and Gowen was an asshole backstage, from what reports I've read.

Gowen to a waitress:"Do you know who I am?! I'm a WWE superstar!"

Gowen has been fun in Ring of Honor. My favorite was when he came out to a heel reaction and he yells out "Hey, I beat the Big Show!" Some fan in the front row responds with "You never beat the Big Show!" in such an incredulous manner, it was priceless.

DarKnight: That, and Gowen was an asshole backstage, from what reports I've read.

Yeah, I remember hearing that too. It doesn't really shock me either, since I think he came off like a douchebag on TV while doing a sympathetic face gimmick. Was Gowan ever on TV before the Lesnar beatdown? Because I didn't watch WWE much in 03, and I suddenly just saw Lesnar attack him one night.

On the latest Wrestling Observer radio show, Meltzer said that WWE kept secret the decision to make Adamle the Raw GM, to the point that John Cena found out in the ring when everybody else did and several potential candidates backstage were accused of lying when they denied it was them.

After over a month on the job, what does everyone think about him now?

Stand up guy doing a great job? Ok, nothing special? Fire him now?

I'm not a fan, that's for certain. He simply isn't the type of personality that generates any interest from the fans. Not only does he deliver his announcements in the most uninteresting fashion, I think viewers already anticipate it as uninteresting, at this point.

I think the most successful formula for Raw GM will always be former wrestlers or prominent figures, not former announcers that were uninteresting in the first place.

I think the most successful formula for Raw GM will always be former wrestlers or prominent figures, not former announcers that were uninteresting in the first place.

You know, I'd think JR would make an awesome face GM.

You know, I'd think JR would make an awesome face GM.

Actually, that's a GREAT idea. Especially if he and McMahon are at odds again, in the future. I can see JR BBQ Sauce promos being hilariously snuck in by JR!

GM is a character that need not be all over the screen. Bischoff clicked at first because everyone knew who he was, but rather than throw him in there and see him interact in this new world, they basically blank-slated the guy and made a new sleazeball character with a taste for McMahon women. It had no bearing to the guy you knew from WCW aside from being the same person.

The problem is overexposure. They introduced him in August 02, and by November he was making speeches about how even though Kane is a murderer, we'll still allow him to show up at PPV. It was simply really weird, and they only used history whenever they felt the need to set up a stupid gimmick, isntead of making history itself a gimmick. The only time he had a really truly classic moment that felt like something he'd do in WCW was disguising himself as the minister at the chuckabilly wedding.

Mike is in the same boat. He is comic relief, but now he's just... There. But there's no there there.