TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Urban Warfare

Manitoba Greyhound Bus Murder

Well, it's pretty evident that the guy is mentally unstable, so he deserves psychiatric assessment and care. I'm not one for prisons, but this is a case where he needs to be isolated for the sake of public safety. There needs to at least be an attempt to rehabilitate him. But if he is beyond rehabilitation, he still should be treated humanely.

Can any legal beagles here explain the difference between first-degree and second-degree murger? Because for a crime this heinous, I'd expect a charge of first-degree.

I think second degree is when you kill someone, and first degree is when you plan out someone's death and execute it... So this would actually be second degree?

I'm not sure though, just going off something I may or may not have learnt in high school.

With this dude's seeming mental state it's going to be difficult to prove first degree due to premeditation but second plus any dangerous offender/threat to the public charges they can slap on him should be enough.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Why didn't the cops just shoot him? I mean, they saw this guy eating the dude, right?

Better to take him alive, interrogate him, jam him full of very unpleasant psychotropic drugs, and keep him in a small concrete bunker for the rest of his natural. Even if he's a brain stem in a jar, keep him alive and in misery.

Police in this part of Canada tend to have a very vicious mean streak. They probably drew straws for all-important "first taser." Had this been in winter they would have stripped him naked, taken out a kneecap and let him freeze to death like the backwater whores from Saskatoon.

This is why I'm anti-death penalty. You close the door on cruel and unusual punishment forever.

Better to take him alive, interrogate him, jam him full of very unpleasant psychotropic drugs, and keep him in a small concrete bunker for the rest of his natural. Even if he's a brain stem in a jar, keep him alive and in misery.

What a great waste of tax payers money.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Seriously. There are people that, quite simply, do not deserve to live. A person that either consciously or unconsciously butchers, beheads, and eats a random stranger on a goddamn bus is among them. Bang. Problem solved.

I don't know. While I certainly take no issue with the death penalty...and if put in the position would likely vote in favor of it...

I always wonder if we should just study these people instead. I mean...this was a human being who did something that most other people find unbelievable. Surely there's something to be learned.

TORONTO - A chilling recording of a radio transmission between RCMP officers responding to the killing of a man who was stabbed and dismembered aboard a Greyhound bus in Manitoba was leaked on the Internet and received widespread attention Saturday.

On the recording, one officer describes the suspect - who police code-named Badger-moving around the bus, which was barricaded by the driver and a passenger.

"Badger is armed with a knife and a pair of scissors and he is defiling the body at the front of the bus as we speak," an officer says on the transmission.

The approximately 80-second recording was posted on several websites, including YouTube, where it had registered nearly 8,000 hits before it was made unavailable early Saturday afternoon.

The RCMP issued a news release stressing they had not given permission to use the transmission as they are "operational police communications and as such are not meant for public consumption. "

"Okay, Badger's at the back of the bus, hacking off pieces and eating it," the transmission ends.

Here's the whole article

Guest cobainwasmurdered

I used to support the death penalty and I would still love to see sick bastards like Pickton die. But as i looked into in more I ended up opposing the death penalty, even though I think murders and such deserve it. I came to that decision because of the possibility however slim that an innocent man might be executed.

It only took a couple of days for someone to beat him at the crazy decapitation angle.

ATHENS, Greece (AP) -- A 31-year-old man killed his girlfriend on the Greek island of Santorini on Sunday, beheaded her, then fled in a patrol car, a local official said.

During the ensuing chase, the suspect was shot five times by police and ran over two women doctors who were riding a motorcycle before he was caught, the official said.

The suspect, Athanassios Arvanitis, a cook at a local restaurant, is undergoing surgery at an island hospital, said Chrysanthos Roussos, head of the Santorini district on the island.

Neighbors said that, following a heated argument, Arvanitis beheaded his girlfriend's dog with a butcher knife, then killed and beheaded the woman.

The victim, 25-year-old Adamantia Karkali, worked as a teacher at a local village, Angelos Roussos, the mayor of Thira, the island's main town, was quoted as saying by TV station Antenna. Angelos Roussos and Chrysanthos Roussos are not related.

Initially, Arvanitis roamed the village of Vourvoulos exhibiting Karkali's head, neighbors said. Townspeople said they locked themselves in their homes and called the police.

When a policeman tried to handcuff him, the suspect knifed the officer and flung the woman's head into a patrol car, Roussos said. The policeman was only slightly injured, police said.

Arvanitis then made off in a second patrol car and ran over the motorcycle before he was caught, Roussos said. One of the two doctors suffered multiple fractures, Roussos said. The other was uninjured.

As the police fired at Arvanitis to stop him, a stray bullet hit a woman bystander, injuring her slightly, police said.

If this was a scene in a movie, I would have thought it was really stupid and unbelievable. I mean...the dog? Wandering around with the head showing it to people? Shot five times? Stole two cop cars? That guy in Winnipeg was completely outdone.

Guest Cal Moriarty
jam him full of very unpleasant psychotropic drugs

You close the door on cruel and unusual punishment forever.

er

It only took a couple of days for someone to beat him at the crazy decapitation angle.

ATHENS, Greece (AP) -- A 31-year-old man killed his girlfriend on the Greek island of Santorini on Sunday, beheaded her, then fled in a patrol car, a local official said.

During the ensuing chase, the suspect was shot five times by police and ran over two women doctors who were riding a motorcycle before he was caught, the official said.

The suspect, Athanassios Arvanitis, a cook at a local restaurant, is undergoing surgery at an island hospital, said Chrysanthos Roussos, head of the Santorini district on the island.

Neighbors said that, following a heated argument, Arvanitis beheaded his girlfriend's dog with a butcher knife, then killed and beheaded the woman.

The victim, 25-year-old Adamantia Karkali, worked as a teacher at a local village, Angelos Roussos, the mayor of Thira, the island's main town, was quoted as saying by TV station Antenna. Angelos Roussos and Chrysanthos Roussos are not related.

Initially, Arvanitis roamed the village of Vourvoulos exhibiting Karkali's head, neighbors said. Townspeople said they locked themselves in their homes and called the police.

When a policeman tried to handcuff him, the suspect knifed the officer and flung the woman's head into a patrol car, Roussos said. The policeman was only slightly injured, police said.

Arvanitis then made off in a second patrol car and ran over the motorcycle before he was caught, Roussos said. One of the two doctors suffered multiple fractures, Roussos said. The other was uninjured.

As the police fired at Arvanitis to stop him, a stray bullet hit a woman bystander, injuring her slightly, police said.

If this was a scene in a movie, I would have thought it was really stupid and unbelievable. I mean...the dog? Wandering around with the head showing it to people? Shot five times? Stole two cop cars? That guy in Winnipeg was completely outdone.

Ha....Women doctors.

http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_25443.aspx

aug0108-bussuspect.jpg

Suspect In Bus Beheading Pleads 'Please Kill Me' In Court

Tuesday August 5, 2008

By Tamara King The Canadian Press

A man accused of stabbing and beheading a fellow passenger on a Greyhound bus has been ordered to undergo a psychiatric evaluation after pleading in court for someone to kill him.

Vince Weiguang Li, 40, is charged with second-degree murder in the death last Wednesday of Tim McLean.

Li stared at the ground and wouldn't speak during much of Tuesday's court appearance.

Court heard how, since his arrest, Li has declined to speak with justice officials and a legal aid lawyer assigned to his case.

When a judge asked him if he wanted a lawyer, Li shook his head no and then quietly said "please kill me."

Li's remark was heard by reporters and confirmed by court clerks but was not acknowledged by the judge. He is due back in court Sept. 8.

Witnesses have said that a passenger stabbed then beheaded McLean in an apparently unprovoked attack that has generated headlines around the world.

Li, a former newspaper delivery man from Edmonton who recently immigrated to Canada from China, has not entered a plea on the charge.

His delivery boss, Vincent Augert, has described Li as reliable, hard-working and not showing any signs of trouble.

McLean, a carnival worker, has been remembered by his family as a free spirit who warmed the hearts of those around him with his infectious laugh.

Sounds like the least cruel thing to do is kill the man. Someone show him the act of mercy he didn't show and kill him then, respect the man's wishes.

And from that angle, he kinda looks like Chow Yun-Fat.

I haven't seen much in these stories which described exactly how this went down, in a physical or logistical sense. How many other people were on the bus? Why didn't anyone try to stop this guy? What caused the hours-long standoff? Did all the other people get off? If so, why didn't the police just shoot in the tear gas/tasers/bullets/whatever and take him down? If you were a cop and you saw a guy eating someone, why wouldn't you just shoot the fucker right there and then?

I haven't seen much in these stories which described exactly how this went down, in a physical or logistical sense. How many other people were on the bus? Why didn't anyone try to stop this guy? What caused the hours-long standoff? Did all the other people get off? If so, why didn't the police just shoot in the tear gas/tasers/bullets/whatever and take him down? If you were a cop and you saw a guy eating someone, why wouldn't you just shoot the fucker right there and then?

"Let's roll"

I just read this in another article...

After Li's arrest, officers discovered a plastic bag containing an ear, nose and part of a mouth in the pocket of the accused, she said.

From a Montreal Gazette article:

Accused killer chatted with victim's co-worker

The seeds for Tim McLean's brutal murder on board a Greyhound bus last week might have been planted when the man accused of his murder, Vince Li, spent nearly an hour chatting up the victim's co-worker during their ride through western Manitoba.

Li, 40, took a seat at the front of the bus beside a woman named Stacy after getting on board in Brandon. The pair chatted and were even seen smoking together during a rest stop.

As the bus resumed its ill-fated journey toward Winnipeg, Li suddenly moved to the back of the bus and sat beside McLean, who was listening to his headphones and apparently asleep.

Moments later, McLean was being repeatedly stabbed until he was decapitated. Horrified passengers fled the bus but managed to lock the killer inside.

McLean's family and friends don't believe Li's change-of-seating was a coincidence. And they question why he was charged with second-degree murder and not first-degree murder, which indicates planning and premeditation.

"I have this unbelievably strong feeling that him sitting beside Stacy had something to do with this," McLean's former girlfriend, Alexandra Storey, said in interview yesterday.

Full Article

I'm very curious to see where this could go and what the two chatted about that led to the murder.

Almost all of the articles/reports have stated that there were about 37 people on the bus, and that they along with the driver locked Li in when he tried to get out. Not sure why the stand-off, though. I think in most cases like that the police act with the thinking that there might be other people on the bus who are still alive/in danger/etc.