TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bob_barron

Weekend Box Office Report

Someone did that for Anne Hathaway in Get Smart.

I'm up to March in my $1,000 PSA list. It's going to take a long time and be quite long

Should I post it in here, or start a thread?

Start a thread. I think there's enough interest.

Here's the format I'm using:

Shrooms

Released on 2/8/08

Opened on 4 screens to $1,849 for a PSA of $462

Total gross: $2,863

Distributor: Magnolia Pictures

Starring: Lindsey Haun, Jack Huston

Plot: Having been promised the 'trip' of a lifetime by their Irish friend and mushroom expert Jake, a group of American teenagers arrives in Ireland, keen for adventure. Despite Jake's warnings about the 'shrooms they shouldn't eat, things start to go horribly wrong and the teenagers suffer horrific visions. The panicked friends are attacked by ghostly creatures, never sure whether they are experiencing gruesome reality or startling hallucinations. As the group is bloodily whittled down to one, it is soon clear that, whether or not these apparitions are real, the carnage they leave behind certainly is. (from imdb)

Trailer: http://www.shroomsthemovie.com/

Reviews: http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117934481...mp;cs=1&p=0

Thoughts: A British slasher movie about mushrooms. Can’t go wrong with that.

Cool?

Saw this on CinemaBlend.com in its weekend box office report

Meanwhile Batman neared the $400 million mark for domestic sales and $600 million international. The only thing standing in his way of being the most lucrative movie in the last ten years is Shrek 2, which earned $441 million in 2004. If he can break $460 million he'll top the number two all time moneymaker, Star Wars.

If TDK can hold off Pineapple Express it will be the first movie to spend four straight weeks at #1 since Return of the King.

The last movie to spend 4 weeks at #1 during its theatrical run was Passion of the Christ, which was #1 for three straight weeks, and then hit #1 again over Easter weekend

Midnight Meat Train is kind of a dissapointing choice for a Barker short-story adaptation. The story itself is pretty straightforward and is basically a generic slasher until the last few pages. Out all all the short stories to make into movies in the Books of Blood I can think of a dozen others that would be more interesting. (Although a few of them have already been made into movies or at least borrowed from)

That said the book(s) (Books of Blood volume 1-3 and 4-6) get my highest possible reccomendation. Anyone who likes horror fiction is really missing out if they haven't read them.

The director of MMT is the guy who directed Versus in Japan. That's a great B-movie with one actually terrific performance. (The crazy gangster guy)

Hope you guys realize that even if Batman would hit $600 million(it wont), it wouldn't come close to the actual amount of people that saw Titanic. With inflation, TDK would have to hit $900 million to truly match Titanic. And that movie made 1.6 BILLION worldwide. With ticket prices less than half what they are now. In-credible

Here's the format I'm using:

Shrooms

Released on 2/8/08

Opened on 4 screens to $1,849 for a PSA of $462

Total gross: $2,863

Distributor: Magnolia Pictures

Starring: Lindsey Haun, Jack Huston

Plot: Having been promised the 'trip' of a lifetime by their Irish friend and mushroom expert Jake, a group of American teenagers arrives in Ireland, keen for adventure. Despite Jake's warnings about the 'shrooms they shouldn't eat, things start to go horribly wrong and the teenagers suffer horrific visions. The panicked friends are attacked by ghostly creatures, never sure whether they are experiencing gruesome reality or startling hallucinations. As the group is bloodily whittled down to one, it is soon clear that, whether or not these apparitions are real, the carnage they leave behind certainly is. (from imdb)

Trailer: http://www.shroomsthemovie.com/

Reviews: http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117934481...mp;cs=1&p=0

Thoughts: A British slasher movie about mushrooms. Can’t go wrong with that.

Cool?

Actually, it's fairly mediocre.

Hope you guys realize that even if Batman would hit $600 million(it wont), it wouldn't come close to the actual amount of people that saw Titanic. With inflation, TDK would have to hit $900 million to truly match Titanic. And that movie made 1.6 BILLION worldwide. With ticket prices less than half what they are now. In-credible

Yeah, TDK wouldn't beat Star Wars either with inflation. I'm puzzled by Shrek 2 making so much money, I mean, why? I didn't think the movie was any good, and I even liked the 3rd one better

Yeah, I don't hold much hope for TDK beating out Pineapple Express. Because I know I will be seeing that.

Shouldn't that work both ways though? If Titanic was cheaper, people were more able to see it twice, three times, even more, while TDK is like 12 bucks to watch, I'm sure it factors into how many times a person sees the movie (like myself).

Thats the thing with Titanic, and why a lot of people make fun of the movie. People went to seee it a bunch of times just for the hell of it, while TDK has repeat viewings because people thought it was a great movie and they wanted to see it again, and again.

I'm pretty sure people went to see Titanic a bunch of times because many thought it was a great love story, many who didn't like the love story thought there was some great storytelling otherwise, and basically everyone agreed that it was a visually stunning film that could only be truly appreciated on a big screen. It seems pretty disingenuous to suggest that Titanic wasn't seen as a great film that had to be seen again. And TDK has seen many of the same motivation for repeat viewings with people going to see it a 2nd time at an IMax screen to greater appreciate the look of the film.

Yeah, I don't think people were going to see Titanic just for the hell of it...many haters see nothing more than Leo Dicaprio and an over-played Celine Dion song and dismiss the fact that Titanic really was a great film.

I don't hate Titanic or anything, but I don't think its great either. I did think the visuals were pretty good though. And no, I have nothing against Leo, or the Celine Dion song. I think Leo's a pretty good actor really, but The Beach sucked ass.

Pineapple just doesn't look funny to me. I like the people behind the movie, but the trailers I've seen do not make me want to see this.

Thug Life

ugh

Agreed. I love the Freaks and Geeks reunion thing going on, but this just doesn't look very funny to me. A little pot humor goes a loooonng way with me.

I have a feeling that Pineapple Express will only be watchable due to James Franco's weird performance. If he wasn't in this, I probably wouldn't even think about seeing it.

We've discussed this in previous threads but Titanic was aided in late 1997 and early 1998 by having a really lame batch of movies as competition. There were a couple of Oscar contenders released during its run (As Good As It Gets and Good Will Hunting) but neither of those films had a real massive release. Both came out in about 1500 theaters and were rolled out slowly, never getting more than 15 million or so in a weekend.

But aside from those movies? Not much. The Wedding Singer did decent business in early 1998, but Adam Sandler wasn't quite the big draw that he would be even later that year when The Waterboy did huge business. Ironically the movie that came closest to unseating Titanic was another Leo flick, Man in the Iron Mask.

Also, Titanic had the great fortune of being the only major show in town during several holidays. It came out near Christmas 1997, then there would be MLK weekend in Jan., then stuff like Valentine's Day, and so on. I knew Titanic was going to be huge however once my grandma expressed an interest in seeing it when it first came out.

I didn't actually see Titanic at the theater, which I now sorta regret. Saw the Bond movie that came out the same week.

Count me in the crowd that didn't see Titanic in theaters. I saw it when it first premiered on HBO and didn't get the hype. Looking back on it, it seems like one of those movies that you have to see in theaters to appreciate.

And since when has Martin Luther King Day been anything resembling a major weekend for movies? I've always thought it was in the midst of Hollywood's dumping period.

Never saw Titanic in the theater either.

when I first saw it on HBO I was sitting there wondering what the buzz was all about

I'll admit I had the same feeling about There's Something About Mary the following year (didn't see it in theater). I really think seeing it in a theater would have added a great deal to the experience. Don't get me wrong I love the movie but I was expecting to see the funniest movie ever (as I was told by everyone) and I was mildly disappointed

Besides the obvious huge blockbuster action movies, comedies really are the best movies to see in theaters. To me, there's always a tiny bit lost in translation when you see it by yourself at home.

The absolute fucking worst kind of movies to see in theaters are horror because I'm always sitting in front or behind the pack of easily scared girls.

I've never seen all of Titanic, it seems like one of those movies that will quickly be forgotten. From what I can tell the main plot is pretty pedestrian, the acting and script are fair at best and the big action set pieces at the end will be outdone by later movies. And the Leo as hearthrob angle will also detiorate.

I too never saw Titanic in theaters. Never expressed the slightest interest in seeing it. I was a kid then, and the movie looked like a boring romance movie, so I wanted to avoid it.