TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

This Week In Baseball: 8/4-8/10

That sucks. I probably watched more Braves games when I was a kid then any other team due to TBS and I always enjoyed the work he did with Don Sutton.

I grew up listening to him on TBS and Harry and Steve Stone on WGN. A very sad day, the golden age of baseball on cable is dead.

It's amazing how things have changed for the worse. 15 years ago everynight or day I'd have my choice between the braves on TBS, the Cubs on WGN, the Reds on the local network or 3/4 times a week a game on ESPN. I'd have 4 different games to choose from everynight just on basic cable.

Now TBS has one game a week, WGN only shows like 50 cubs games, ESPN shows about 6 teams on a rotating basis and the reds blow

He more then any other voice represents that 80s-90s era of baseball, it sounds like he knew it was coming:

Caray was battling mounting health problems, and he reduced his broadcast schedule to home games at the start of the 2008 season. He was battling diabetes, congestive heart failure, an irregular heartbeat and reduced kidney and liver functions, he said in April 2008.

"I almost died in October [2007]," Caray told an Atlanta Journal-Constitution reporter at the Braves' 2008 home opener. But he was on the air that night, vowing to call as many games as he could for as long as he could do the job well.

"When I'm working, I'm fine," he told the AJC. "You know intellectually that you're exhausted, but so what? Concentrate on the game. I know this: I'm not going to embarrass myself. If I can't do this, I'll be the first to know it. I've had a hell of a run, so I've got nothing to complain about. If I die tonight, I've had a great life."

Due to not having TBS until 1996 I never heard Caray in his prime

He was a homer to the end but he was hilarious and he didn't take the game that seriously

RIP

Guest Smues

Worst news I've heard in awhile.

No team will ever top Skip & Pete for me.

RIP.

ESPN/FOX/TBS Games to Poison Our Youth

MONDAY

Astros (Brian Moehler) at Cubs (Ryan Dempster), 7:00/4:00 PM, ESPN

WEDNESDAY

Yankees (Sidney Ponson) at Rangers (Tommy Hunter), 8:00/5:00 PM, ESPN

SATURDAY

Cardinals at Cubs, 3:55/12:55 PM, FOX

Yankees at Angels, 3:55/12:55 PM, FOX

SUNDAY

Red Sox at White Sox, 2:00 PM/11:00 AM, TBS

Cardinals at Cubs, 8:00/5:00 PM, ESPN

Guest Tzar Lysergic
Favorite Skip Caray line...

"Bases are loaded, and I kinda wish I was."

Oh that's magnificent.

He had the personality that I really like in broadcasters. He was willing to call a bad play a bad play, even when the braves were committing it. He was sarcastic and funny, and was one of my 3 favorite all time broadcasters (along with Stone and Brennamen). Even though I didn't particularly like the Braves I always enjoyed the games because of him, that has to be the ultimate compliment you can give a broadcaster.

Well I'll be making my yearly trip down to Shea on Saturday to see the Marlins/Mets game.

I was hoping to see Santana pitch but he will be going Thursday or Friday

With Maine going on the DL today it looks as if the Mets will have to call someone up to make the start (unless they have Pelfrey go on 3 days rest)

Skip was part of the dying breed of announcers who call it like it is and don't worry much with sugarcoating things or aiming to please. I'm too young to remember his commentary during the barren days of the 1980s Braves, but he was quite the cutup in the booth when Braves pitching went from being world renowned to an utter joke a few seasons back.

Rest in peace, Skip. Aside from Sox/Cubs/Cardinals games we got in central Illinois, I'd watch more Braves games than anything in my formative baseball years due to TBS (and indirectly, WCW/Tony Schiavone promoting them) and Skip was always quality. On top of that, growing up in Illinois in a family of Cubs fans, I have a soft spot for Harry Caray despite being a Sox fan. All that being said, he shall be missed.

Well I'll be making my yearly trip down to Shea on Saturday to see the Marlins/Mets game.

I was hoping to see Santana pitch but he will be going Thursday or Friday

With Maine going on the DL today it looks as if the Mets will have to call someone up to make the start (unless they have Pelfrey go on 3 days rest)

I heard they're going with Niese out of the minors, in a feeble attempt to justify not making any moves. Granted I didn't want him to be moved, but come on now, the bullpen's in shambles, the lineup is presently incapable of giving them a 4+ run lead every night to give the bullpen something they won't blow on a nightly basis.

I'm going to catch three out of the four Pawtucket/Scranton games this week. With any luck, I'll catch prospect Michael Bowden at some point.

I assume a few of you know the Richmond Braves are picking up and moving to Gwinnett County, GA next season. When they do, they will have a new Play-by-play man. Tony Schiavone.

I'm going to catch three out of the four Pawtucket/Scranton games this week. With any luck, I'll catch prospect Michael Bowden at some point.

Which ones? I'll be at the one tonight.

Guest Smues

I assume a few of you know the Richmond Braves are picking up and moving to Gwinnett County, GA next season. When they do, they will have a new Play-by-play man. Tony Schiavone.

As terrible as that sounds on paper, I've heard him on Braves post games shows plenty of times and he at least knows what he's talking about. I don't doubt that he'll be a competant enough play-by-play man for the Gwinnett County Braves. As long as Bischoff isn't screaming into his ear. And hey if we're lucky we'll get "That was the most exciting double play in the history of our sport!"

Interesting Skip Caray anecdote: I was listening to him call a Braves-Cardinals game last week, and after a particularly woeful series of at-bats for what remains of the Braves lineup, he said something to the effect of "I don't know how much more of this I can take." Not much more, apparently. He can watch them strand baserunners in heaven now. RIP Skip.

Which ones? I'll be at the one tonight.

Look for me Section 117, Row B.

With any luck Treble will have his Jays hat.

Favorite Skip Caray line...

"Bases are loaded, and I kinda wish I was."

Oh that's magnificent.

I would love to see that video clip.

Guest Cal Moriarty

Burger-Hotdog-2-R.jpgBurger-Hotdog-3-R.jpg

This happened last year to little consequence with Johnny Estrada and Ned Yost, so it's probably not indicative of anything other than what we already know, which is that Fielder, among other Brewers, gets pretty petulant under pressure.

On a related immature Milwaukee Brewers note, here's something from Wednesday evening's game that could go in here or Announcing/Coverage, but since we're on this topic now, here we are: I was listening to WTMJ that night because Bob Uecker and Jim Powell are great baseball announcers. During one of Powell's innings, a foul ball went out of play and evidently went through the glove of a spectator, who was evidently wearing Cubs apparel as well as a glove. Powell remarked "and that glove appears to have been torn by that ball. Typical Cubs fan. Can't even afford a real glove!" First of all, I was under the impression that Brewers fans resented their guests for driving up from the north 'burbs and overpaying for season ticketholders' lower deck seats. So which is it? Are they poverty-stricken Untermenschen who can only afford shoddy imitation-leather gloves, or are they stuck-up entitled snobs who think they can throw their money around to infiltrate Miller Park? Second of all, how is it not thoroughly out of line to make such an overarching indictment of an entire fanbase like that when you're in the position of giving play-by-play? I can't imagine Pat Hughes making any sort of similar commentary, correct or incorrect, toward Brewers fans and their glove quality and by extension their socioeconomic standing, nor can I imagine any broadcaster anywhere making a comment along those lines. Not even Ed Farmer or Hawk Harrelson would pull that sort of thing, and they're accepted as the worst announcers in the game. Biggest of thumbs-down to Jim Powell for this petty sniping. Grow up.

Guest Vitamin X
On a related immature Milwaukee Brewers note, here's something from Wednesday evening's game that could go in here or Announcing/Coverage, but since we're on this topic now, here we are: I was listening to WTMJ that night because Bob Uecker and Jim Powell are great baseball announcers. During one of Powell's innings, a foul ball went out of play and evidently went through the glove of a spectator, who was evidently wearing Cubs apparel as well as a glove. Powell remarked "and that glove appears to have been torn by that ball. Typical Cubs fan. Can't even afford a real glove!" First of all, I was under the impression that Brewers fans resented their guests for driving up from the north 'burbs and overpaying for season ticketholders' lower deck seats. So which is it? Are they poverty-stricken Untermenschen who can only afford shoddy imitation-leather gloves, or are they stuck-up entitled snobs who think they can throw their money around to infiltrate Miller Park? Second of all, how is it not thoroughly out of line to make such an overarching indictment of an entire fanbase like that when you're in the position of giving play-by-play? I can't imagine Pat Hughes making any sort of similar commentary, correct or incorrect, toward Brewers fans and their glove quality and by extension their socioeconomic standing, nor can I imagine any broadcaster anywhere making a comment along those lines. Not even Ed Farmer or Hawk Harrelson would pull that sort of thing, and they're accepted as the worst announcers in the game. Biggest of thumbs-down to Jim Powell for this petty sniping. Grow up.

And that makes Jim Powell today's WORST... PERSON... in the woooooooooorld!!