TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

This Week In Baseball: 8/4-8/10

Guest Smues
Brian Giles used his no-trade clause to block the deal to Boston. I was positively giddy about the idea of adding him to the lineup.

Have fun wallowing away for a team that might lose 100 games instead of competing for a championship fucker.

I never understand why players get bashed for using their no trade clauses. Boston is obviously a place to go right now if you want a good chance to win, but if Brain's priorities are different than more power to him. He probably likes living in San Diego.

Yea maybe he actually wanted to play everyday too...as opposed to coming to Boston and maybe getting 2-3 starts a week at best. Unless Ortiz is hurt again or something there's just no place in the lineup for Giles to play regularly. This waiver claim was made ONLY to block Anaheim amd Tampa.

Yea maybe he actually wanted to play everyday too...as opposed to coming to Boston and maybe getting 2-3 starts a week at best. Unless Ortiz is hurt again or something there's just no place in the lineup for Giles to play regularly. This waiver claim was made ONLY to block Anaheim amd Tampa.

No, you're wrong. Boston had already agreed to trade for Giles. That's not a block. Also, any speculation that it was a block was shot down by the local Boston reporters right away. It's still unclear what his role would be, but for $8 million (remaining '08 salary + trade kicker + '09 buyout) it wasn't to screw Tampa and it was definitely not for 2-3 starts per week. There would have been some sort of OF/DH rotation had the trade gone through, and despite what you want to think, Ellsbury would have been the odd man out.

Cheech, you moron. Giles grew up in El Cajon, a San Diego suburb. It will have to take an incredibly sweet situation for Giles to agree to leave his... HOMETOWN team.

Man, you've really been on my case since I started posting again. I don't know anything about Giles as a person, but I find it hard to grasp why a player would choose to ride out a season for the worst team in baseball over having a legitimate shot at a ring, be it in Boston, Tampa or Anaheim. San Diego has 19 home games left this year. It's not like he has to uproot his family. It's just an extended two month road-trip. The guy would be a free agent at the end of the year anyways. He would have gotten a nice $6 million out of the deal as well.

Man, you've really been on my case since I started posting again.

I was thinking the same thing.

Let's hug it out, bitches.

Is that Ron Darling or Keith Hernandez doing the game on SNY tonight? I have a hard time telling them apart sometimes.

No, you're wrong. Boston had already agreed to trade for Giles. That's not a block. Also, any speculation that it was a block was shot down by the local Boston reporters right away. It's still unclear what his role would be, but for $8 million (remaining '08 salary + trade kicker + '09 buyout) it wasn't to screw Tampa and it was definitely not for 2-3 starts per week. There would have been some sort of OF/DH rotation had the trade gone through, and despite what you want to think, Ellsbury would have been the odd man out.

Cheech, you moron. Giles grew up in El Cajon, a San Diego suburb. It will have to take an incredibly sweet situation for Giles to agree to leave his... HOMETOWN team.

Man, you've really been on my case since I started posting again. I don't know anything about Giles as a person, but I find it hard to grasp why a player would choose to ride out a season for the worst team in baseball over having a legitimate shot at a ring, be it in Boston, Tampa or Anaheim. San Diego has 19 home games left this year. It's not like he has to uproot his family. It's just an extended two month road-trip. The guy would be a free agent at the end of the year anyways. He would have gotten a nice $6 million out of the deal as well.

Well everyone has their own opinions so whatever. I'm willing to bet they were just going through the motions because they knew damn well he could and would block any trade. Ellsbury aint going anywhere despite what YOU think.

Is that Ron Darling or Keith Hernandez doing the game on SNY tonight? I have a hard time telling them apart sometimes.

It's Ron Darling.

Perez a two-hitter through 7, 119 pitches thus far. The only weapon Manuel has to combat his shitty bullpen: starters throwing 150 pitches for complete-game shutouts the rest of the way.

The guy has a no-trade clause for a reason. He's probably happy to play out the last two months in his hometown and be with his family.

That's no reason for you to call him a fucker.

Tom Gordon is looking at Tommy John surgery, it would be his second. At 40, Gordon could opt for retirement (just speculation on my part). If this is it, Gordon has enjoyed a fine career. 138 wins, 158 saves, and three All-Star appearances.

OMG A'S WIN!!!!

And Huston Street might have just lost his closer job as Brad Ziegler closed out the final two innings and extended his scoreless innings streak to 37.

Great game in Chicago today, as the Cubs narrowly edged out the Cardinals in extra innings and essentially knocked St. Louis out of contention for the NL Central crown. Jim Edmonds, whose demise was greatly exaggerated, hit two home runs that almost single-handedly beat the Cardinals, and also managed to stir up a little drama after the game:

Contrast these comments from Edmonds about TLR and the Cardinals earlier today...

"It's a little odd to play against a group of individuals that I've been so close to for so long, it's like playing in the backyard with your family. So it's different that way," Edmonds said. "But you know, you got to separate and move on."

...against this reaction to the St. Louis media after the game, as reported by Bernie Miklasz on the STLToday boards:

No, what he did was this, according to Mike Claiborne of KTRS:

When FSN's Brent Stover and Claiborne (KTRS) approached Edmonds after the game for a quickie on-field interview that has become standard procedure for MLB rights holders, Edmonds blew them off and said:

"I'm (censored) done with St. Louis TV and radio and I'm (censored) done with the Cardinals."

And then he walked into the Cubs dugout.

Now, I'm a Jim Edmonds fan, even if he's wearing the wrong uniform, and I'm fully capable of separating disdain with the St. Louis media with the city at large. And nobody that follows the team is ignorant of the rift between Edmonds and La Russa, which led to Edmonds requesting to be traded earlier on in the season. But, that being said, it seems a little rash for him to disown the entire organization, not only because of his own lengthy history as a key contributor for the club, but because of the fact that he's still a notable member of the St. Louis community (he still owns a restaurant, F15TEEN, in downtown St. Louis).

We'll see if any other comments come out from either side tomorrow - I'm sure TLR, if nobody else, will have plenty to say about it - and it will be interesting to see how the team reacts, not only to Edmonds' comments but, more importantly, to a loss that may put them two games back in the Wild Card.

Oh, and Anthony Reyes picked up the win tonight in his first start for the Indians, giving up one run over six and a third against the Blue Jays. Between that and the busted suicide squeeze that helped put away the Cardinals today, it's been a bang-up day for Tony La Russa.

Guest Smues

I just got back from the Braves game. First trip to not the BOB and I thought it was a decent stadium. Nothing standout-ish, and I'm not a fan of the out field and dancing yellow line, but all in all it was an enjoyable stadium. And getting lucky and having the game I went to be Chipper's first game off the D/L was an added bonus. As much as I've hated that stupid pool, having seen it in person I don't think I mind it. It's out of the way, makes the team money, and keeps a large chunk of casual to non fans isolated from everyone else. Drew hit a homer past the pool that bounced back into the pool, Chipper hit one right near the pool, and in BP McCann crushed one right into the pool and even being at field level by the home dugout I could see a huge splash.

I do have a question for you smart people: I had always thought that the home dugout was on the 1st base side, based on really only the fact that the Braves and Mariners do it that way, but the D-backs one was on the 3rd base side. So are they the exception to the rule, or does every team do it their own way and I'm just really unobservant. (Either way I am really unobservant.)

Also baseball related, while in Vegas yesterday I bet on the Marlins and won a whopping $38. I just wanted to bet on a game for the sake of doing it, and the Marlins game was early enough that I would still be around to collect if I won. I just picked them because they were the underdog, and +190 pays nicely. (Does anyone here bet on baseball often? Took my brain a while to pick up how the odds work. But I kind of like the system. Makes betting the underdog a pretty good move. )

Tom Gordon is looking at Tommy John surgery, it would be his second. At 40, Gordon could opt for retirement (just speculation on my part). If this is it, Gordon has enjoyed a fine career. 138 wins, 158 saves, and three All-Star appearances.

If he does retire, would he still need TJ anyway? As in, he'd be in lots of pain during everyday activities? I've only ever heard of it as a baseball surgery, so I guess he could skip it.

Ian Kennedy makes the start for the Yankees tonight.

2 IP / 9 H / 5 R / 1 BB / 1 K (Loss)

If he does retire, would he still need TJ anyway? As in, he'd be in lots of pain during everyday activities? I've only ever heard of it as a baseball surgery, so I guess he could skip it.

Good question. This is just speculation, but considering it's a gray area whether he actually needs the surgery yet, it must not be too excruciating an injury unless he pitches.

Ian Kennedy makes the start for the Yankees tonight.

2 IP / 9 H / 5 R / 1 BB / 1 K (Loss)

Nice. Is this finally going to be the year the Yankees miss the post-season?

MANNY'S REVENGE: EYES BX.

By GEORGE A. KING III

Posted: 3:54 am

August 9, 2008

ANAHEIM, Calif. - Having successfully orchestrated his divorce from Boston and his landing in with the Dodgers, Manny Ramirez would like to make life miserable for the Red Sox during the next few seasons.

According to people who have spoken to the eccentric outfielder since he was dealt to L.A. on July 31, Ramirez wants to sign a free-agent deal with the YankeesNew York Yankees this offseason and get 19 chances a year to punish Boston.

"He wants to play for the Yankees so he can get at the Red Sox," a close friend of Ramirez's told The Post.

Of course, every free agent says he wants to play for the Yankees. They pay well, will always have a chance to make the postseason, and when they show an interest in a free agent, the price from other clubs skyrockets.

Considering Ramirez is represented by Scott Boras, every imaginable angle will be played when the 36-year-old, a product of George Washington High School in Washington Heights, will become a free agent following the World Series.

Yankees GM Brian Cashman would not comment on the situation. Ramirez forced the Red Sox to deal him to the Dodgers by badmouthing the organization, not hustling and sitting out a July 25 game against the Yankees with a knee injury that didn't show up on an MRI the next day.

Once Ramirez was dealt, two club options for $20 million (2009-10) were eliminated.

Ramirez, the premier run producer of his generation and a Hall of Fame lock, has hit four homers in his first six games for the Dodgers, giving him 514 for his career.

The Angels are pounding the Yankees in the ass. Again.

According to people who have spoken to the eccentric outfielder since he was dealt to L.A. on July 31, Ramirez wants to sign a free-agent deal with the YankeesNew York Yankees this offseason and get 19 chances a year to punish Boston.

"He wants to play for the Yankees so he can get at the Red Sox," a close friend of Ramirez's told The Post.

No fuckin' chance.

Guest Cal Moriarty

Haha, Todd Wellemeyer just silenced the best offense in the National League. Out of contention my ass.

Ryan Braun has left the game with some kind of injury. Must be in the last couple months of the season in Milwaukee.

Dan Murphy strikes with his first career home run, a two-run pinch-hit job. Guy's putting up Jay Bruce numbers.

Haha, Todd Wellemeyer just silenced the best offense in the National League. Out of contention my ass.

Three runs over six and two thirds doesn't strike me as domination, but whatever works.

Anyway, they are probably still out of it, mainly because of the huge lead that the Cubs have put together. They were six games back before they entered the series and, with the win today, they've made it all the way up to...well, six games back. Improbable as it may have been, the team needed to come into Wrigley and sweep to get to within striking distance for the division (three games back). Even if they take the rubber game tomorrow, they'll have only made up one game of ground on the Cubs in the series.